PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with trash in the halls?

colleen costello
07-06-2003, 11:07 PM
SO? What is the deal with trash in the hallways? We were just at the VWL and I kept passing one room with trash just left outside in the hallway. I found this so offensive! The housekeepers are gone by the afternoon so it sat there for hours! What bugged me was that just a few doors down our hallway from where the trash sat, was a room marked "trash" which was unlocked. I brought my room trash and recyclables here once. Yikes! I was finally going to remove this tray and then it was gone.

Do people think there are trash fairies? Does room service TELL people to put the trash out in the hall? Could this be why ants are invading some resorts???

We used to "penny in" at college -- shove pennies into doorjams so dorm room residents couldn't get out. Yes, I know -- fire hazard. Sorry, we were drunk. Anyhow, I vote that all DVC members start "pennying in" any folks who put trash in the hallways. That'll teach them! I always have pennies anyhow (for the pressed penny machines...). They will have to call to be let out and then they can be forced to empty their trash...

Sammie
07-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by colleen costello
SO? What is the deal with trash in the hallways? We were just at the VWL and I kept passing one room with trash just left outside in the hallway. I found this so offensive! The housekeepers are gone by the afternoon so it sat there for hours! What bugged me was that just a few doors down our hallway from where the trash sat, was a room marked "trash" which was unlocked. I brought my room trash and recyclables here once. Yikes! I was finally going to remove this tray and then it was gone.

Do people think there are trash fairies? Does room service TELL people to put the trash out in the hall? Could this be why ants are invading some resorts???

We used to "penny in" at college -- shove pennies into doorjams so dorm room residents couldn't get out. Yes, I know -- fire hazard. Sorry, we were drunk. Anyhow, I vote that all DVC members start "pennying in" any folks who put trash in the hallways. That'll teach them! I always have pennies anyhow (for the pressed penny machines...). They will have to call to be let out and then they can be forced to empty their trash...

What happens if the person you "penny in" did not leave the trash there but housekeeping or someone else did. I don't care for trash in the halls either but before I would endanger someone's life with a fire hazard I would call the Front Desk and have them deal with it, or just be a good neighbor and dump it myself.

TCPluto
07-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Probably not such a good idea.

1. What do you suppose the cost of repairing the damaged door jambs would be?

2. What do you suppose the cost would be of liberating those people trapped in their rooms?

3. What do you suppose the criminal and/or civil liability would be for those perpetrating this, should some injury be incurred?

4. Who do you suppose would end up paying for options 1 and 2? I'm guessing member dues.

Not to mention, I don't see how placing pennies in door jambs would prevent them from opening.

WolfpackFan
07-07-2003, 07:18 AM
Anyhow, I vote that all DVC members start "pennying in" any folks who put trash in the hallways. That'll teach them!

I have to say, I find this suggestion just about as repugnant as the trash in the hallways and if I caught you doing this to my door, I'd be placing a call to the police.

Nanajo1
07-07-2003, 07:36 AM
Was I the only one who thought this suggestion was meant to be a joke? I didn't take it seriously for a minute.

Pa@okw95
07-07-2003, 07:36 AM
I thought I have seen everything on this board but there is always one more surprise-locking people in their rooms-this suggestion takes even me by surprise. This subject comes up a number of times on this board, it happens at BWV also. I think that the new members do not realize that they should take the garbage out themselves if they need to, at OKW every building has a special large closet down on the bottom floor for garbage. I am sure the other DVC sites have the same. Some people just don't get this idea that these are suppose to be long term places to stay where you take care of your garbage and the rest of your room.

Richyams
07-07-2003, 07:39 AM
On first floor rooms, the people could still exit through the patio.

I have hung the bags on their doorknobs.

The housekeeping staff leaving the garbage in the hall would make it even worse.

I don't understand how that penny thing would work either.

I have an idea, tape a paper sign on it, write "Do not touch, I was too stupid to put this in the trash myself"

Maybe it will still be there when they get back. I do like the idea of hanging it on their doorknob. If its the maid, even better, then the member will call and complain about it, maybe the maid will hear about it and learn.

Granny
07-07-2003, 07:42 AM
Gee...I also took this to be a joke by Colleen! I just thought she was trying to make her point about this annoying habit!

I noticed a couple of rooms that were leaving trash in the hallway during my last stay at VWL too. The trash bags were neatlly tied and left outside the room similar to how people leave room service leftovers in the hallway.

I have a suspicion that someone (bell services?) has told these people that it is okay to do this. I have a hard time believing that people would just dump their trash in the hallway on the assumption that housekeeping would pick it up rather than let it sit there.

Colleen....we use those trash collection areas on each floor quite a bit since they also allow for separation of recycling materials. And goodness knows we tend to generate our share of trash...recyclable and non-recyclable! :)

lampy
07-07-2003, 07:51 AM
I must agree, I think the OP is just trying to make her point.

I have placed a small note on the door stating: Please remove your trash, this is a note from an owner, not housekeeping. A trash room is down the hall. It is not housekeeping's responsibiltity to remove your trash. Please help keep my resort looking good.

Next day the trash was gone. I have no idea who took care of it though.

baloo722
07-07-2003, 07:59 AM
I finally agree with pa@okw!

We stayed at BWV using our points for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea about a trash room. I assumed that since we do not recieve daily housekeeping we were to leave the trash as one would room service. In fact, I saw another room doing that. So, I put a bag out. The next morning it was gone. That evening, I was getting off of the elevator and noticed some small print on a room location sign that said (i think) rubbish room. from that point on, I took everything in there.

Hilary
07-07-2003, 08:07 AM
We haven't ever left our rubbish in the hallway, but we have never used the trash rooms either - because we didn't know they existed for members to use! Now we do know (from posts like this) we'll be sure to use them in future, instead of struggling to fit our trash bags in the ordinary trash bins at the resort :rolleyes:.

I'm sure it would make this kind of thing much less frequent an occurence if there was a simple list of 'tips to make your stay run smoothly' (or something similar) in each vacation home explaining all the 'little' things that new members can't be expected to guess.

PamOKW
07-07-2003, 08:19 AM
was finally going to remove this tray and then it was gone.

The use of the word "tray" makes me wonder whether this was trash from room service. I've seen people leave room service trays in the halls at many hotels. This may be what is happening here, too. This thread has also brought up the problems of people copying what they've seen others do and also not understanding the policy. And I bet there are those who are just taking advantage of the situation. They leave it out there and it disappears eventually. Why strain themselves....that same selfish attitude that we see everywhere today.

I also think Colleen was just venting and making her point with the "penny" idea.

I think the welcome letters do contain the info about where to put the garbage but I can't be sure. It seems that no matter how often DVC writes something up it still gets missed. Just the other day someone posted about pool hopping and had no idea SAB was now off-limits. It's been over a year since DVC began including this information in every mention of pool hopping. People skim, they don't always "read". ;)

Granny
07-07-2003, 08:19 AM
Hilary....the same thought occurred to me after I posted. Why doesn't DVD include this in your check-in packet? They already have other things...and I think a sheet about "making your stay easier" would be a great idea.

They could also include the fact that if you need the maintenance people, you call housekeeping. Maybe that's obvious to everyone else, but I looked at that phone for a good while trying to figure out which department to call...and ended up calling the operator! :)

Tagrel
07-07-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Richyams
...I have an idea, tape a paper sign on it, write "Do not touch, I was too stupid to put this in the trash myself"

LOL! THAT idea I like. I think I'll print up a few of those and bring them along next week! :teeth:

Question though: Most hotels/resorts with room service seem to have people place the food trays in the hall for later pickup. What is the correct proceedure at DVC resorts with Room Service? Are we supposed to take the 'leftovers' to the trash room as well? I don't wanna get a 'Hey Stupid' sign myself! :D

gayleBWV
07-07-2003, 08:22 AM
When we were at BWV last month, on our cleaning day we came back to our room and the trash and the sheets were in the hallway outside our door. I also saw this on other days outside other rooms. This makes me think that there is a separate "trash collection person" that picks up later, as it was gone when we went out later. This may not be any less annoying that the housekeepers left out the trash, but someone passing by may have thought it was us. Although, I'm not sure what someone might have thought about the sheets!! Gayle

Richyams
07-07-2003, 08:23 AM
These Brits, always trying to be above everyone else, they don't even have trash or garbage, Hilary, of course, has 'rubbish'

JimC
07-07-2003, 08:32 AM
I also think the OP was just making a point and not seriously considering that use of a penny.

The comments about including trash information in the check-in packages or better yet in an in-room notice, would be great for those who are unaware of how the DVC resorts work.

If its a room service tray, then I am not suprised as room service generally tells you just that -- "Put it outside your door when you are finished and call to let us know".

CaptainMidnight
07-07-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by WolfpackFan
I have to say, I find this suggestion just about as repugnant as the trash in the hallways and if I caught you doing this to my door, I'd be placing a call to the police.
Ahhh Ha!!!! That means you must be leaving your rubbish in the halls!!!! We caught you!!!

Seriously, doesn't sound like a good plan with the pennies, but it's interesting college folklore. I like the note on the door idea, asking people to properly dispose of thier rubbish. WolfpackFan, consider this your note. No more rubbish in the halls :)

Hilary
07-07-2003, 08:43 AM
These Brits, always trying to be above everyone else, they don't even have trash or garbage, Hilary, of course, has 'rubbish'
Doh! ... and I try so hard to use US-speak here!

Of course, being British, maybe I wouldn't even understand what was meant by 'Trash Room' if I'd seen the sign on the door ;) :teeth:

Crissup
07-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Penny idea wouldn't work anyway, since the doors open inwards. You need to be able to slide the penny between the opening edge of the door and the jam, filling the space left to allow the door edge to clear the jam when opening. So, the pennies would need to be inserted from the inside of the rooms.

Disclaimer: I have no idea about the process listed above and would never "penny" anyone into their room. ;) :)

BCV23
07-07-2003, 09:03 AM
I wondered about the use of the word tray, too. If a room service tray is what Colleen is talking about, the guests were just following normal procedures. We used room service at BCV three times I think last week and each time were told to call to have it picked up or just place the tray outside the door. We always do the latter. It never seems too long before it's picked up.

Did see someone toss a pile of pool towels outside their door. Geesh!

Doctor P
07-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Actually, pennying in can work even if the door opens in (this comes from experience, I am sad to admit). The pennies put sufficient stress on the latch that the door handle can not be turned, thereby trapping the person inside (but not doing any damage to the door in my experience). I think it is a funny, but not serious, suggestion that gave me a laugh this morning! Thinking about it is funny; doing it would not be.

Pa@okw95
07-07-2003, 09:14 AM
baloo 722--Careful, you are moving to the dark side if you start agreeing with me.;) Another thing that people do is leave their trash in the ordinary trash pales that are outside at OKW. In the heat this can get real bad quickly. A lot of people do not know about these trash areas.

baloo722
07-07-2003, 09:21 AM
I am afraid, I am very afraid...pretty soon I'll be saying we need armed guards to make sure only OKW people ride the boats to DD. lol:tongue:

Pa@okw95
07-07-2003, 09:32 AM
baloo 722--oh yes, you have crossed over!! You are beginning to get the hang of it--armed guards to check for the boat to DD, that is a good idea, but if the guys driving the boats would do their job and check the tickets(keys) like they are suppose to we would not have to have armed guards. I would prefer to use my dues to pay for life guards to stop those kids from jumping in the pools--no need to shoot them, well, maybe their parents if they can be hunted down.;) I wonder how much armed guards would cost us. If they never shot anyone would it be worth the money. Welcome to the dark side! :bounce: :bounce:

baloo722
07-07-2003, 09:43 AM
I am actually beginning to like someone that i vehemently disagree 99.9 % of the time....and this time the person is not my wife!

colleen costello
07-07-2003, 10:02 AM
OF COURSE I would never REALLY penny anyone in! I am a worrier, always the person saying "It's funny 'til someone loses an eye..." "Pennying in" made me nervous in college... even then I would think "But what if there is a fire???" I was just mad thinking about that trash sitting there, twenty feet from the trash room, and I recalled the "pennying in " from my college days. Sorry... It was late and I was tired, I guess.

I hereby decalare myself blameless if anyone from the Boards tries pennying for ANY reason. Besides, we really do all need to save our pennies for the press-machines.

PS: It really did work. Our dorm doors "opened in" and with those darn pennies in there, you were stuck. They act like a deadbolt! :)

Pinnie
07-07-2003, 10:24 AM
While we were at the BCVs this past Easter, we were in the room during T & T. Imagine MY shock when we left the room and our trash was left in the hall by the housekeeper! I remembered all the threads on this board and I grabbed that trash and ran it to the trash room!

It was late in the day when she came to do the room, too.

I used to be very critical of the people in the rooms who had trash out in the halls, until I realized that sometimes it was NOT them that did it!

pin

CaptainMidnight
07-07-2003, 10:25 AM
OF COURSE I would never REALLY penny anyone in! I am a worrier, always the person saying "It's funny 'til someone loses an eye..." "Pennying in" made me nervous in college... even then I would think "But what if there is a fire???" I was just mad thinking about that trash sitting there, twenty feet from the trash room, and I recalled the "pennying in " from my college days. Sorry... It was late and I was tired, I guess.

I hereby decalare myself blameless if anyone from the Boards tries pennying for ANY reason. Besides, we really do all need to save our pennies for the press-machines.

PS: It really did work. Our dorm doors "opened in" and with those darn pennies in there, you were stuck. They act like a deadbolt! :)
YOu could always use a large screw in the space between the door and the door jam instead of pennies. It would be easy to remove from the outside, still trying to figure out how the pennies act like a deadbolt. What am I saying, that's a terrible idea....forget it. The worse I would suggest is to tie their trashbag to thier door handle as a reminder, but I think a note is the best route, and do not attach the note to the door with a screw ladged between the door and jam, simple tape will do.

GAIL HAYDEN
07-07-2003, 10:25 AM

Rich, I am not a Brit, but, I also have rubbish. Garbage goes down the disposal, trash is someone who wears little or nothing, ie: Brittany Spears and rubbish is what you throw away. :)

I took what Colleen said as a joke. I doubt she would do something like that.

wilderness01
07-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Colleen,

I took your comment as a joke only! Really you could tell you were just frustrated.

Tagrel your idea of the notes are funny! You will have to post those on your site for a download. Whether the trash people have intentionally left their "rubbish" in the hallway or not, this would probably curtail the problem!!!!;)

Have a wonderful safe trip and as always I look forward to reading your interesting trip reports.

P.S. Your kids are adorable.

dianeschlicht
07-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by lampy
I must agree, I think the OP is just trying to make her point.

I have placed a small note on the door stating: Please remove your trash, this is a note from an owner, not housekeeping. A trash room is down the hall. It is not housekeeping's responsibiltity to remove your trash. Please help keep my resort looking good.

Next day the trash was gone. I have no idea who took care of it though.
Great suggestion!

Mine would be to stay at OKW!;) :p We don't have hallways there, and folks would KNOW you left your trash out. You will be the only one having to step over it too!

Tagrel
07-07-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by wilderness01
... Tagrel your idea of the notes are funny! You will have to post those on your site for a download. Whether the trash people have intentionally left their "rubbish" in the hallway or not, this would probably curtail the problem!!!!;)

Have a wonderful safe trip and as always I look forward to reading your interesting trip reports.

P.S. Your kids are adorable.

Nope, not my idea, it was Richyams! Gotta give credit where it is due! :teeth:

But you're right! I'll have to make some DVC themed "It's Not Appreciated" cards to leave on the door of offending rooms! ;) LOL!

Thanks for the good trip wishes. We're all excited about the upcoming trip, and I look forward to putting together another Trip Report!

Barb
07-07-2003, 03:00 PM
Just an FYI here. We were at Vero Beach last week and did a trash collection of our room with full intention of finding the trash/recycle room. We walked out and asked the cleaning crew where the room was. They said to just leave it outside the door and they'll pick up for us. So go figure.:rolleyes:

CaptainMidnight
07-07-2003, 05:49 PM
....trash is someone who wears little or nothing, ie: Brittany Spears
Well, can't really go along with this definition, especially directed twards someone who started out as a Disney girl....

Trash is what I sometimes read......

wilderness01
07-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Let me correct myself then.....Richyams your idea is funny and would probably work. Unfortunately sometimes shame does work in everyone else's favor!!!

TiggerFreak
07-07-2003, 06:48 PM
I was employed as a locksmith for 20 years and repaired many doors in college dormatories that were damaged from "pennying-in." So if the danger you would be placing another guest in doesn't matter, think of the cost in dues needed to replace door hardware. :mad:

Loubon
07-07-2003, 08:28 PM
We used to "penny in" at college -- shove pennies into doorjams so dorm room residents couldn't get out. Yes, I know -- fire hazard. Sorry, we were drunk.

You were drunk in college????

PS If you penny in Rich while he is in the OKW GV that will give him more time to spend measuring the size of the room. :jester:

FredS
07-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by gayleBWV
When we were at BWV last month, on our cleaning day we came back to our room and the trash and the sheets were in the hallway outside our door. I also saw this on other days outside other rooms. This makes me think that there is a separate "trash collection person" that picks up later, as it was gone when we went out later. This may not be any less annoying that the housekeepers left out the trash, but someone passing by may have thought it was us.....

We ran into the same thing at BCV in May. I was NOT happy that our garbage was sitting in the hallway because 1)it looks "trashy" to say the least, and 2)trash invariably has some personal items in it which you would just as soon not have displayed in clear plastic bags to whomever happens to wander by. If you saw a lot of trash in the halls, I don't think that I would assume that it was from guests throwing their full bags out in the hall, but seems to be the way the resorts are often handling cleaning and trash collection.

I find it sad that someone would consider leaving snotty notes or locking people in their rooms [haha, right] or tying garbage to the doors where trash is left without knowing for certain that the guests had left the trash in an inappropriate area. Speaking of rudeness and lack of class..........

GAIL HAYDEN
07-07-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
Well, can't really go along with this definition, especially directed twards someone who started out as a Disney girl....

Trash is what I sometimes read......

I can go along with that, but, I still hold solid on my Brit Spears definition. :) Obviously, people change, she is no Disney girl now. :)

sparkspeak
07-08-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Hilary
. . . I'm sure it would make this kind of thing much less frequent an occurence if there was a simple list of 'tips to make your stay run smoothly' (or something similar) in each vacation home explaining all the 'little' things that new members can't be expected to guess.
Yes! Or have a sign under the sink indicating where the Trash Room is . . . or label the trash/recycling containers . . . or put one of those small paper information/advertising stand-up signs (e.g. Welcome, Spa, Pizza, etc. ) in the kitchen or near the emergency exit map on the front door. I don't think people are trying to be offensive, they just need to be informed of the routine.

ncligs
07-08-2003, 02:45 PM
We are at VB now and on the 4th floor of the INN , and we have not seen any trash outside anyones door the first 2 days here. Our floor(4th) has a laundry room with a garbage container, so we just take it there.
I agree that they should advise people when they are checking in.
P.S. Colleen....... I wouldn't worry about your post. Most posters enjoyed it.

CaptainMidnight
07-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Loubon
You were drunk in college????

PS If you penny in Rich while he is in the OKW GV that will give him more time to spend measuring the size of the room. :jester:
Got a good chuckle out of this one.....

crisi
07-08-2003, 03:48 PM
While I agree that guests leaving trash in the hallways is scandalous, I, for one, would be VERY upset if I came back to my room, discovered housekeeping had left the trash by the door during trash and tidy (as is being reported happens on occation) and had a nasty note (or even a polite one) from a member telling me where the trash room is - or the trash hanging on my doorway.

CaptainMidnight
07-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by crisi
While I agree that guests leaving trash in the hallways is scandalous, I, for one, would be VERY upset if I came back to my room, discovered housekeeping had left the trash by the door during trash and tidy (as is being reported happens on occation) and had a nasty note (or even a polite one) from a member telling me where the trash room is - or the trash hanging on my doorway.
If it was not housekeeping's fault and you were actually inconsiderately leaving your trash outside the door, which is the much more likely scenario, wouldn't a polite note allowing you to become aware of your error and correct it without any confrontation or embarassment be the most preferable method of communication?

I think it's a nice approach, addressing the problem in a polite non-confrontational manner, as long as the note is not nasty. If housekeeping left the garbage outside your particular door (wink-wink), you could in turn leave a polite note to the houskeeping person letting them know that leaving the trash outside your door reflected poorly on you to the point that someone left you a note, and that you'd appreciate if they would not leave trash outside your door, especially on non-trash and tidy days during thier non-working hours, when thay haven't done the same to anyone else, using the bags that happen to be identical to the ones you bought from publix that don't match any of the standard hotel trash bags......

I mean, come on, it's a note...... I think it's a good idea. Perhaps someone should slip a note to me regarding my peeing in the pool, politely asking me to refrain during busy periods, or limit such activity ......

Perhaps we could make sure we don't throw away any identifying information and then just put our trash infront of somone else's door, and now we can start leaving them a note asking them to throw our trash away for us, since we are to directionally and courteously challenged to be motivated and capable of finding the trash room.

P.S. Colleen.... your post was fine, and funny. Some folks need to take some of the uptight stuff and dial it down a notch.....

ErinC
07-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Gail,
I completely agree with your definition of Britney. Have you seen her latest new photos. Talk about sleezy. She is no role model for my dd's that's for sure.

Colleen, I knew you were just joking, I had never heard of the penny idea. We used to use panty hose to tie someones door to someone diagonally across the hall.:p If you tied one leg around one door knob and stretched the other leg to the other door knob, it would make it really hard (not impossible to open). (What can I say, we were really bored!) I'm sure my parents would be really proud, that this is what they paid good money for!!!

Anyway, about the trash issue. I really think the resort needs to mention it at checkin or hand it to you in some paper work. I really think most people are not aware what to do. I hate to think that housekeeping is telling people to leave it there. You know that some of those trash bags have got to leak and leave a mess on the carpet, not to mention an odor. I sure don't want to be paying dues to replace and clean something that is not necessary, if this is becoming a habit.

CaptainMidnight
07-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by ErinC
Gail,
I completely agree with your definition of Britney. Have you seen her latest new photos. Talk about sleezy. She is no role model for my dd's that's for sure.

Haven't seen it, do you have a link? Maybe it is over the edge and I'm wrong....

sparkspeak
07-08-2003, 05:00 PM
I mean, come on, it's a note...... I think it's a good idea. Perhaps someone should slip a note to me regarding my peeing in the pool, politely asking me to refrain during busy periods, or limit such activity ......
P.S. Colleen.... your post was fine, and funny. Some folks need to take some of the uptight stuff and dial it down a notch.....
Oh, Captain! Be careful . . . Pal Mickey is rumored to be evolving into a watchdog . . . (jusy kidding!)

ErinC
07-08-2003, 05:13 PM
I think they were showing them on Entertainment tonight last night. Trust me, her body was just barely covered, and the poses were very risque'. She was clothed in leather patches, and a lace dress of some sort:confused: I just don't care for how everyone paints her as the all american girl. I sure don't want my kids thinking she's something to look up to. JMHO

colleen costello
07-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Hey Nick and Cindy, glad to see you are able to post even from Vero Beach. Looking forward to a full report once you are back home...

I am glad to see a post from a real-live locksmith here, attesting to the fact that "pennying in" really does work. I still swear I was only joking about doing it, but I clearly recalled from college that if we were pennied in, we could NOT get out. Of course the dorm was abut 100 years old... In any case, recalling such nonsense is why I am glad I live in a town with a major university... NO WAY I am letting my kids live in dorms! I'd be up at night, worrying about drunks pennying them into their rooms, not to mention, LEAVING TRASH IN THE HALLWAYS!

Loubon
07-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Trust me, her body was just barely covered, and the poses were very risque'. She was clothed in leather patches, and a lace dress of some sort

Feel free to leave this "trash" outside my door but please let me know it is there.....;)

CaptainMidnight
07-08-2003, 09:21 PM
I think they were showing them on Entertainment tonight last night. Trust me, her body was just barely covered, and the poses were very risque'. She was clothed in leather patches, and a lace dress of some sort:confused: I just don't care for how everyone paints her as the all american girl. I sure don't want my kids thinking she's something to look up to. JMHO
She made 40 million last year and the year before. Her songs do not contain profanity, she's certainly attractive enough to pull off her outfits, besides her clothing, she portrays pretty good values, remarkable in comparison with others in the music industry, given this she still doesn't qualify as trash in my book.

We have all boys, perhaps it's easier.

SlyHubby
07-08-2003, 09:58 PM
she portrays pretty good values, remarkable in comparison with others in the music industry, given this she still doesn't qualify as trash in my book.

Living out in Ohio, you obviously don't get to read the NY Post all that often, do you?

crisi
07-08-2003, 10:00 PM
CaptianMidnight,

If I left trash outside the door, a note would be a good idea. If housekeeping left trash outside my door and a fellow member choose to leave a note (even a nice note) on my door, or hang the trash on the door handle, I would be irate. Not knowing what member did it, I might see fit to leave "nice" notes on everyones door letting them know I don't leave my trash outside and they should mind their own business. (irony there, btw).

CaptainMidnight
07-08-2003, 10:30 PM
CaptianMidnight,

If I left trash outside the door, a note would be a good idea. If housekeeping left trash outside my door and a fellow member choose to leave a note (even a nice note) on my door, or hang the trash on the door handle, I would be irate. Not knowing what member did it, I might see fit to leave "nice" notes on everyones door letting them know I don't leave my trash outside and they should mind their own business. (irony there, btw).
Seems thou doth protest to much.... ;)

If one is not an offender, then taking such great offense to the point of being irate over potentially one misplaced note that politely helps solve a problem may indicate a level of guilt or something else...... are you sure you haven't left trash outside your door for others to contend with???????

Tell you what, if you'll leave the dates of your trips and the location and room number, and I happen to be there at the same time I'll avoid leaving a note on your door, or if I'm not there I'll use this forum to and ask all the other posters here that might be going at the same time you are to do the same and not put a note on your door if there happens to be trash outside your door (we could even have someone from this forum check your special door so there are no notes) so that you don't have to get irate and leave notes on everyone else's door......

Or.... how about this, maybe this is better, if I happen to be there the same time as you and I find nice notes on everyone's door including my own that explains how you don't leave trash outside your door, and telling everyone to mind thier own business, I'll know that somone put a note about trash on crisi's door and that it was done in error. Then, I'll go pick up the trash in front of your door and remove the trash left their for you, at least once. However, if everyone starts leaving thier trash at your door because of your "mind your own business note," and there's a huge mound of trashbags each day of your visit, I can't guarantee that I'll be continually removing them on your behalf. Maybe the first couple, but when all those notes generate backlash in your direction, I'll want to get out of the middle of it, my goal is polite reminders for people, not trash wars. Notes can be paid attention to or they can be ignored. Heck, perhaps the person is physically, mentally, socially or characterly challenged that somehow limits thier ability to remove trash bag obstacles from the halls.

By the way, I don't really subscribe to the tying the trashbag to the door part. The most would be a polite note.

I wonder how long it will take you to write all those "mind your own business notes" and tape them up on all the doors..... hmmmmm.... :rolleyes:

Crissup
07-08-2003, 10:37 PM
If I left trash outside the door, a note would be a good idea. If housekeeping left trash outside my door and a fellow member choose to leave a note (even a nice note) on my door, or hang the trash on the door handle, I would be irate.

I would just assume it's another member making their own rules, instead of addressing the issue with DVC. I would also then begin making a point of putting my trash in the hall every single day in the hopes of agitating the purpetrator really bad and spoiling his/her day.

CaptainMidnight
07-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Crissup
I would just assume it's another member making their own rules, instead of addressing the issue with DVC. I would also then begin making a point of putting my trash in the hall every single day in the hopes of agitating the purpetrator really bad and spoiling his/her day.
People might join you and put thier trash with your trash (outside of your door). Or, when polite notes don't work, someone may choose to knock on your door and discuss the issue with you personally and then you can report back to us as to how successful the purposeful aggitation was and who's day (or late night) ends up being spoiled.

I don't know that those would be my courses of action, but purposeful efforts to escalate rude, inconsiderate behavior have been known to backfire....

A polite note is the furthest course of action I would recommend, not purposeful aggitation from either side, after all, it's vacation time. Please don't jump to conclussions if you see me outside of a room where there's a trash bag and your've seen several notes the days before in different handwriting from different members and I'm asking if I could have a couple of pennies.... those pennies are for something else, something completely different, not the ideas shared previously in this thread that I've never actually heard of before.....:cool:

All right, enough rubbish.....

2thdr
07-08-2003, 11:30 PM
The proper way to escape one's room from a "pennying in" is to sit on the floor facing the door, brace your feet on the doorjambs, grab the door under the bottom, and pull forcefully toward you. This produces enough space between the door and jamb to cause the pennies to fall out. Then you open the door to find.....you have also been "papered in"!

Elaine

crisi
07-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Having not taken my first trip home yet, I don't think I've been offending anyone with my trash, except my own neighbors here at home when I leave it out Monday evening when the rubbish company doesn't come until Tuesday afternoon. (OK, OK, I admit it, prior to becoming a DVC member, we'd visit the DVC resorts and leave trash outside the doors just to upset you guys).

(Did you miss the irony note? You know, the part where if leaving notes about trash is rude, leaving notes about leaving notes about trash is rude.)

It may be impolite to leave trash out your door. Its also impolite to correct someone for their impolite behavior. Its downright rude to correct someone for behavior when they were not guilty of the behavior in the first place. I do tend to get irate when someone accuses me without evidence of something I didn't do. Call me sensitive that way. You are bugged enough by trash outside the door to leave I note, I'm bugged enough of being accused of that level of rudeness when I am innocent to call DVC management and complain about your little note. Not escalation, since I didn't do anything rude in the first place.

Bring your notes, but bring a security camera so you can be sure mousekeeping isn't leaving the trash outside the door.

CaptainMidnight
07-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Rubbish.....

cheyita
07-09-2003, 07:14 AM
If someone left a note on my trash when it was actually housekeeping's fault, I would probably add my own note to the bottom of the note stating that fact - hoping that both the unhappy member and housekeeping would see it. Or maybe I would just be a little annoyed and throw the trash out myself, thinking maybe I made a mistake somehow (Catholic guilt).

Also, as a mom of two girls, I think Britney has turned into trash. It seemed that once she realized she was being looked up to by preteen girls worldwide, she started dressing and acting worse and worse. Okay, yes, she's an adult now. But I think a truly mature adult would realize the impact they have on young, impressionable minds and model their image accordingly. Unfortunately, I have to say the same about Christina A - another former Disney girl, and one who can actually sing.

mjstaceyuofm
07-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Colleen, I knew you were just joking, I had never heard of the penny idea. We used to use panty hose to tie someones door to someone diagonally across the hall.:p If you tied one leg around one door knob and stretched the other leg to the other door knob, it would make it really hard (not impossible to open). (What can I say, we were really bored!) I'm sure my parents would be really proud, that this is what they paid good money for!!!In the very few conversations I've had with women about pantyhose, I've heard nothing but complaints about them. But now I see why some women wear them - apparently you never know when they may come in handy for a "MacGyver" moment....

erikthewise
07-09-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Crissup
Penny idea wouldn't work anyway, since the doors open inwards. You need to be able to slide the penny between the opening edge of the door and the jam, filling the space left to allow the door edge to clear the jam when opening. So, the pennies would need to be inserted from the inside of the rooms.

Disclaimer: I have no idea about the process listed above and would never "penny" anyone into their room. ;) :)

All this talk of college stuff reminds me there was a "Crissup" in my college dorm -- unfortunately I can't remember the first name. This was Case Tech in Cleveland, c. 1970. The expertise in "pennying in" is suspicious -- and it certainly wasn't the worst thing that was done in that dorm!

I think a lot of people are honestly confused about what to do with their trash -- confused by the room service paradigm. Since it DOES eventually get picked up, either by housekeeping or their disgusted neighbors -- it seems to work! The first step is for DVC to make it CLEAR what is supposed to happen. A start would be a sign that says "Trash Room - Bring Your Trash Here".

Richyams
07-09-2003, 09:24 AM
If it is housekeeping, then the front desk should be notified.

One bag, in the hall at 7:30 am is more likely deserving of the 'stupid' note.

I never really ever considered it was housekeeping. I thought they had carts that they put garbage in and on.

PamOKW
07-09-2003, 09:32 AM
In this day and age and it's probably not a good idea for a member to confront a guest/member directly (or through notes). The proper place to lodge complaints is with the resort. If there's trash in the hall, call the front desk or housekeeping and tell them it's there and you don't like it. This way you avoid falsely accussing someone or having to deal with a person who doesn't take kindly to being corrected by a neighbor.

Brittany has certainly changed her image and/or allowed her real self to come through. She is an adult entertainer now. I don't know that I'd call her trash but I don't think she's an ideal role model for pre-teens.

beattyfamily
07-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by PamOKW
Brittany has certainly changed her image and/or allowed her real self to come through. She is an adult entertainer now. I don't know that I'd call her trash but I don't think she's an ideal role model for pre-teens.

I agree...I wouldn't want my DD's to dress like her BUT I think she's a much better role model than Christina A. She's disgusting! Her new look; the tatoos and belly rings etc; YUCK!

Brittney dresses sexy, yes, but she still has values. Granted she is no longer a virgin, which is big news, but she did wait till she was almost 20 and with a guy she thought she would marry and waited till 2 years into the relationship. That's saying a lot in this day and age.

FredS
07-09-2003, 09:58 AM
If it is housekeeping, then the front desk should be notified.

One bag, in the hall at 7:30 am is more likely deserving of the 'stupid' note.

I never really ever considered it was housekeeping. I thought they had carts that they put garbage in and on.

It's not one bag in the hall. It is about 1/3 of the rooms, and coincidentally they all have put their small trash bags in one larger trash bag. Even if they hadn't eventually gotten our trash on T&T day and left outside for a few hours I had a clue that the guests in all of these rooms had not simultaneously removed all the trash from all their trashcans and put in the hall. :rolleyes:

I assume that the maids who clean your room and gather the trash don't have room on the carts they are pushing for the trash, and that is picked up by someone else later. Sometimes later is just too long.

Nanajo1
07-09-2003, 10:54 AM
If I should find trash at my door w/a note and I was not the who left the trash there I would not get angry. I'd call the front desk or housekeeping and report trash at my door needs to be taken care of or get rid of it myself after reporting it.
If you are not guilty of trashing the halls why be angry w/someone who is trying to keep the place clean?
If members report trash in the halls everytime it annoys them then maybe housekeeping will do a better job of removing their bags and TPTB will start a campaign to educate all guests of the trash room policies.
So instead of being vindictive try the report every spotting of errant trash approach,. Maybe that will compel management to address the problem.

FredS
07-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Nanajo1
If I should find trash at my door w/a note and I was not the who left the trash there I would not get angry. I'd call the front desk or housekeeping and report trash at my door needs to be taken care of or get rid of it myself after reporting it.
If you are not guilty of trashing the halls why be angry w/someone who is trying to keep the place clean?
If members report trash in the halls everytime it annoys them then maybe housekeeping will do a better job of removing their bags and TPTB will start a campaign to educate all guests of the trash room policies.
So instead of being vindictive try the report every spotting of errant trash approach,. Maybe that will compel management to address the problem.

Members should report trash to MANAGEMENT, not try to come up with "punishments" for guests of the rooms with trash. It seems apparent to me that housekeeping is primarily responsible for the trash in the hallways and bothering guests with notes or pranks is not the way to handle the problem. Having seen trash left in the hall by housekeeping I would consider anyone who left a snotty note for a guest whose room had trash outside to be an ignorant busybody. Besides being rude, it seems ineffective since the trash may be gone by the time by the time the guest returns and they would just think some idiot was roaming the halls posting pointless notes. :rolleyes:

crisi
07-09-2003, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't be angry with someone who tried to keep the place clean - which would be picking up the trash and moving in to the trash room. I would be angry with someone who felt the need to slap me on the nose like a bad puppy who had pee'd on the carpet - when it was the resident toddler doing the peeing.

Perhaps I am the only person who is offended by being blamed for something for which I bear no responsibility. I suspect that others here, if they received notes from their neighbors regarding noise they didn't make, trash they didn't leave in the hallway, pool chairs they weren't saving, balcony smoking they weren't doing, or (dare I...) a suspicion of too many guests in the room when they only have three in a two bedroom, would start to get a little upset.

CaptainMidnight
07-09-2003, 06:53 PM
...slap me on the nose like a bad puppy who had pee'd on the carpet...
Now were not allowed to pee on the carpet? This doesn't apply to the pools too, does it? When did that new rule start....
.... ignorant busybody.... some idiot.....
Well, I guess we got through 5 pages and 67 posts before someone had to stoop to name calling. Sigh....

FredS
07-09-2003, 07:49 PM
CaptM -- kindly please refrain from snipping my posts and putting your spin on them.

My statement was "Having seen trash left in the hall by housekeeping I would consider anyone who left a snotty note for a guest whose room had trash outside to be an ignorant busybody. Besides being rude, it seems ineffective since the trash may be gone by the time by the time the guest returns and they would just think some idiot was roaming the halls posting pointless notes"

No one was called anything. I never understand those who stir the pot...........:rolleyes:

CaptainMidnight
07-09-2003, 08:06 PM
Yes, I read the entire statement and the namecalling that is not present in other posts. Denial, spin claims, or calls to refrain doesn't mask it, it is what it is.

Those pajorative labels .... ignorant busybody.... some idiot.....toward people don't appear in any previous posts in this thread and they are directed toward those who are suggesting notes. If your going demonstrate a character void to the point of stooping to calling people names, at least be honest about it.

FredS
07-09-2003, 08:16 PM
There is no sense in my responding to posts which are repeatedly edited and changed. No point in trying to nail jello to a tree.

I simply wanted the opinion I presented in my full statement, not a couple of words pulled from context.

CaptainMidnight
07-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by FredS
There is no sense in my responding to posts which are repeatedly edited and changed. No point in trying to nail jello to a tree....

And apparently, and unfortunately, some don't see the point in refraining from namecalling.... that could easily be avoided ....

WebmasterDoc
07-09-2003, 08:41 PM
If anyone feels the need to address another poster about their choice of words in a post, please use email or our PM feature.

If anyone feels the need to further discuss the lifestyle of Brittney Spears or any other non-DVC topic, please post on the appropriate board.

Any deviation from these requests will result in posts being removed from the board.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

CaptainMidnight
07-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Your right, sorry about that Doc.

So, probably the best course of action regarding the trash in the hall problem is to ask DVC to include some instructions for those staying at the resort concerning the proper disposal of trash and directions to the appropriate disposal locations.

Hilary
07-10-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
So, probably the best course of action regarding the trash in the hall problem is to ask DVC to include some instructions for those staying at the resort concerning the proper disposal of trash and directions to the appropriate disposal locations.
Ummmmm...... didn't we have that suggestion back on page 1 of this thread?! ;)
Originally posted by Hilary
I'm sure it would make this kind of thing much less frequent an occurence if there was a simple list of 'tips to make your stay run smoothly' (or something similar) in each vacation home explaining all the 'little' things that new members can't be expected to guess.

CaptainMidnight
07-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Ya, it was a good suggestiion. But I also thought leaving a polite note was a good idea which I believe others brought up as well and wasn't aware of all the opposing views to that suggestion. I didn't think the penning in idea or the panty hose idea was a very good route (or serious) or the idea of tying the trash bag around the door handle, but the note seemed OK. Given the negative feedback to the note idea, its certainly worth taking those views into consideration.

dianeschlicht
07-10-2003, 10:48 AM
It seems to me at OKW there is always garbage and recylce suggestions in the folder when you check in. Perhaps folks just aren't reading it.

SamS
07-10-2003, 12:28 PM
I stayed at BCV and OKW recently. At BCV, trash & recycling containers were clearly marked for glass, aluminum, etc. At OKW, at least building 18, there were two doors next to each other that were marked trash on one, and recycling on the other. When I opened the door to recycle, I discovered that it was one big "closet" with two doors. Recyling and trash containers were not marked within the "closet", and people had trouble with the "read the door, and take appropriate action" concept. In other words, pizza boxes were in the recycling containers, and cans and bottles were in the trash. That may not cause a problem however. I don't know about resort refuse, but on the Keys to the Kingdom tour of the Magic Kingdom, the tour guide told us all trash from that park is hand sorted to remove recyclables, and that the rest is incinerated to generate electricity for the park (2/3 of the park's energy needs, if I remember correctly!)

BCV23
07-10-2003, 12:55 PM
I agree that it was easier at BCV to figure out what to recycle. For instance, they had a bin marked newspapers only. At OKW I figured the bin behind the recycle door was for recycling and the one behind trash was for trash. But since what can be recycled varies so much in different communities, signs at the drop off spots would make it easier. In our town we can recycle most plastics, bottles, almost any paper goods and cardboard...including pizza boxes as long as they're not too greasy. How is one supposed to know what can be recycled at WDW? I do think it's probably listed in the newsletter but on a busy vacation everyone probably dosn't read that cover to cover but rather looks for the info they need.

Pinnie
07-10-2003, 01:18 PM
I agree with you, BCV23. In my city we recycle almost everything, including cereal boxes and pizza boxes!

A little stand up sign in the unit on the table about the garbage/recycling policy would work wonders!

pin

Cruelladeville
07-10-2003, 03:32 PM
I just got back from BWV and there IS trash in the halls, and it WAS put there by the housekeeping staff. It was usually picked up by 3:30. A note to the owners would have been horribly inappropriate, and if I received one from you, I would send a very mean virus to your computer.:mad: Most of you spend your days at the parks so you don't know what goes on at your resort, but I just spent 7 days AT MY RESORT basking in the sun and the air conditioning, and trash wasn't a problem. And at BWV, room service asks you to PUT YOUR TRAYS IN THE HALL. When others go walking in the hot sun, I exercise by walking inside in the comfort of the air conditioned hallways at BW, and I didn't see a problem with trash on any floor, so you need to rethink just where that trash came from in the first place--at BW there is a separate person who picks up what housekeeping leaves.:) It's a wonderful resort to call home!:p