PDA

View Full Version : Exchange in London?

Eggleboo
07-06-2003, 06:14 PM
Daughter is going on an unexpected trip to London and I was wondering if anyone has stayed at either the Royal Garden or the Dorchester as an exchange. The points are quite high and if it's not worth it, I'd rather cash book a hotel room for her. Thanks for any advice. Lynn

Nick Beecham
07-07-2003, 02:41 AM
The Royal Garden is lovely and my DW and I have stayed a weekend there on points for the last few years.

However, the 2004 points chart is so expensive that you will probably get a better deal by paying in cash.

If your DD is going in 2003, using points instead of cash is just about worth it. Presumably this is because the 2003 points chart was set before the dollar sank against the pound.

Nick

vernon
07-07-2003, 03:35 AM
I'd use priceline, expedia or a similar offering. IMHO the points cost is just not worth it.

Eggleboo
07-07-2003, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the advice. I just hope she has good weather now!!

Hilary
07-07-2003, 07:48 AM
Just to agree - I'm sure you can get a better deal than using your points unless the points are about to expire anyway.

TheRustyScupper
07-07-2003, 02:10 PM
1) I travel to London on business 2-3 times per year.
2) I prefer the Dorchester over The Royal Garden.
3) However, like the others, I think cash is better than points.
4) If you decide on cash, then you have a lot of choices.
5) There are five-six great hotels nearby.

6) If possible, pick one on or just off of Park Lane
. . . mega-shopping on Oxford is very close and walkable
. . . buses go to Piccadilly or Harrods with one or no changing
. . . easy cab or bus access to the West End theaters
. . . subway ("tube") access nearby
. . . across the street is Hyde Park

Eggleboo
07-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks everyone. We tried booking the Royal Gardens using points this morning. My husband and I discussed it and we had points banked that we doubted we would ever be able to use on the short 30 day notice for booking with those banked points. So she is using those up for us. Isn't that considerate of her! ;) Her trip is in just a couple of weeks so we had to move as quickly as possible on this. I appreciate everyone's help with this. Lynn