PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on trading out to Grande Ocean or Barony?


StevieD
07-06-2003, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

After a bit of worry that we might be getting rid of our DVC membership, it looks like we are keeping it. We just got back from a trip to Hilton Head (stayed at a non-DVC property) and had a great time. We like the DVC HH property, but would really rather stay in a property that is a little closer to the beach. We have 270 points at BCV.

So, my questions are - we are planning for our summer vacation for 2004 and wonder if it is possible to trade out to either Marriott's Grande Ocean or Barony with a year's lead time (we want a week in a 2 bedroom for June, July or August). Is this a difficult trade to get?? If it's Barony, is it possible (or highly improbable) to get a ocean front or ocean side villa rather than one of the garden villas further from the beach?

Thanks in advance for your help. This board has always been a fantastic resource!

Merilyn
07-06-2003, 03:44 PM
We were just like you. We wanted a 2 bedroom on the ocean. We traded to the Barony and they put us as far away from the ocean as we could be. We were a good 15 minute walk and couldn't even see the ocean. The condo was very nice with 2 hot tubs-one in each bathroom. We overlooked one of the pools. It was not heated and too cold in March to swim. Our trip wasn't very good as it rained almost everyday. It was cloudy the rest. I wouldn't even consider the Barony again. We didn't even have hot water for 2 days. I know that wasn't there fault, just an accident. The Grande Ocean will be better, I think. It is harder to trade into according to Disney. We will stay at DVC next time and drive the 5 minutes to the water.

CarolMN
07-06-2003, 05:18 PM
Since you know exactly what you want (and don't want), I'd recommend that you try to arrange an exchange directly with an owner of Marriott's Grande Ocean or Barony. One place to do that is via the Timeshre Users Group ( www.tug2.net ). Seems like it would be worth the $15 charge to join. If you do a direct exchange, you may be able to avoid the exchange fee as well as get the exact location you are hoping for.

Good luck!

Dean
07-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Writing this from GO. You should count on a garden view unit at Barony though you might get better. No way to know or tell other than renting or a direct exchange. Getting anything June to August will be tough through II and I wouldn't hold your breath. Good luck.