PDA

View Full Version : Accessible rooms @ DVC Resorts

tinkgrl
07-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Hi,

I have been going to a very nice travel agent for all my disney tripd up to now. She has always done right by me in getting us the room we need. I am in a wheelchair & go to disney often because Disney has been so good to me & my mom. :) I am alittle concerned that I will have problems with getting an accessible room through member services/DVC. My guide said that 20% of all Disney resorts are accessible. Should I be concerned?? Remember, I am new @ this so be kind. :)

Allison

BCV23
07-06-2003, 11:53 AM
We're still rather new to DVC too but have had no trouble getting an accessible room when we've needed one. We only need it when our daughter is with us which is most of the time.:D

I think it works just like the hotels though. First they have to have the nights you want available for anyone. If there's availability, they then check with special needs and book you an accessible room. The last time I did this, they didn't connect me with special needs as they had in the past. They put me on hold while they talked with them.

SueM in MN
07-06-2003, 12:07 PM
We have been DVC members for 10 years.
For reservations thru CRO, you do use the Special Reservations number, (407) 939-7807
(407) 939-7670 [TTY]
but for DVC reservations, MS handles all the reservations, even special needs and even cash reservations for members. We have had no problem with getting what we need, except the very first year, before they (and we) really had our act together.
When you get your reservation confirmation, it should indicate something about Medical Needs (like first floor for medical needs, etc.). Medical Needs are filled before general preferences for the same request. If you need a fully accessible villa, we have been told that is assigned at the time you make the reservation and is guaranteed.

tinkgrl
07-06-2003, 12:15 PM
Guys,

Thanks!! Should I call to make reservations or can I email? I was going to email a request today. Thanks again!!

Allison BCV 6/03

BCV23
07-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Sue I made a reservation through the Disney Club 800 number a few weeks ago and they did not transfer me to Special Needs as they used to. Didn't call them direct because I prefer the 800 number...save a few pennies. This was for a resort reservation not DVC.

KyBill
07-06-2003, 01:48 PM
Tinkgirl
We are DVC members. I always ask for and get a HC room(most of the time at OKW). When making a requested HC villa, MS will put you on hold and when they come back , assuming availability, they will give you a guaranteed ressie. We like the 1 BR at OKW since it gives you a great deal of room to manuever a WC of ECV. The other Dvc's or rather tight.
Have a great trip.

SueM in MN
07-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Sue I made a reservation through the Disney Club 800 number a few weeks ago and they did not transfer me to Special Needs as they used to. Didn't call them direct because I prefer the 800 number...save a few pennies. This was for a resort reservation not DVC.
I don't know about that. Maybe they have changed the way they are doing special needs in general and now have access directly to the same information that Special Needs only had access to before??
The Special Reservations number is still posted as who to go thru for special needs in the Guidebooks for Guest with Disabilities.
For DVC, we never have gone thru special needs though. They always told us that MS handled special needs for DVC members and did not transfer us.

BCV23
07-06-2003, 04:35 PM
The CM who was booking our rooms didn't do the special needs request himself. He put me on hold while he talked to special needs and arranged it. In the past, I would do the preliminary part with CRO or WDTC and then they would transfer me to Special Needs to complete the booking and get just what my daughter needed.

With our few DVC reservations, I've had the same experience. First one, I talked to Special Needs. Since then I've been on hold while it is arranged between Member Services and Special Needs.