PDA

View Full Version : DVC,Cruise and exhange fee

Scrufsmom
07-05-2003, 08:57 PM
As a member of DVC, my family is finally considering on taking our first ever Disney Cruise next July. I realize thru the boards that you can utilize points and pay out of pocket for the cruise.

Ok so here is my question: When making the ressie are you paying just the one time exhange fee of $95 or are you paying per person the $95 exchange fee? If you are having to make per person then is it the same for children too? Also, can you make the ressie 11 months from the date you wish to travel or is it at the 7 month window?

Personally, I have to start thinking for next year cause my husband is a deputy for the local sherrifs office and we have to start planning our vacations early. We normally take 2-3 vacations a year in which we are normally at Disney. Just thought that we would do something different.

Thanks
Scrufsmom

TnRobin
07-05-2003, 09:57 PM
The $95 is per reservation not per person. Note that if you make any changes to your reservation, it is considered a new reservation and thus another $95

You can book your cruise at the 11 month window.

mickeyc
07-05-2003, 10:24 PM
Prior to booking any reservations using points I would check with various travel agencies to determine the best cash price.

I took the Disney Wonder Cruise in Jan. 2003 and as it turned out I would have been better off paying cash. The cruise was steeply discounted and I could have booked per person at $299. I would never have used 168 points if I had be aware of the above price at the time. The discount occurred one day after I booked using points. When I spoke to MS they advised me there was nothing they could do since they have no idea when the cruise discounts are going to occur.

WE had a great time on the cruise and would do it again. However, I am going to be more cautious the next time. MS should have a better way to coordinate the cash deals when booking using points. Enjoy the cruise--it was worth it!!

Scrufsmom
07-06-2003, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mickeyc
[B]I took the Disney Wonder Cruise in Jan. 2003 and as it turned out I would have been better off paying cash. The cruise was steeply discounted and I could have booked per person at $299. I would never have used 168 points if I had be aware of the above price at the time.

Mickeyc,

When you took the cruise: How long was your vacation? Also, Where you in an inside cabin or outside cabin? Just wondering cause then I know how to look.

icydog
07-06-2003, 09:29 AM
$299 a person? Now that's a deal. Where did you see this rate? I would think they would be losing lots of money giving this cruise rate.:(

Dean
07-06-2003, 10:24 PM
Isn't the fee for DCL still $75, I thought the $95 was for other options.

Sabor
07-07-2003, 12:15 PM
I also agree that it almost never pays to use points for a cruise.
If you can afford it (bank the points or use it for another vacation).
If you cannot afford it even getting $8 a point on the rent/trade board (for the amount of points of the cruise) would most likely pay for your cruise cash and give you all the spending money you would need, and then some.
The cruises are great and are well worth it , even at the inflated point rate , I am not trying to generate a pros/con debate of renting points but why not get the biggest return for your points.
It just seems wasteful to me to use them on the cruise.

For example my last cruise 1/03 cat 4 (2 adult 2 kids 1 infant)

Points cost would have been 619 points

Cruise cost me $4300 thru Dreams Unlimited

619 x 10 = $6190.00 (going rate)
619 x 8 = $4952.00

I personally just banked my points and are taking my in laws in October (but if I could not afford it I would have had no qualms
renting to someone on the rent/trade board)

ez
07-07-2003, 12:40 PM
We just booked 2 rooms, category 11 or better, for Sept.18th on 3 night wonder, 2 people per room at 379 a person. I didn't even check, but I'm pretty sure I got a better deal with cash than points. I booked thru expedia, and my trip insurance was much cheaper as well, only $25 per person.

amtmommy
07-07-2003, 07:45 PM
We just bought inot the DVC and are looking at using points for a cruise, but we can't afford to go to Disney every year, we would be going every other or every third year. First the cost of Kenneling two dogs, then the airfare for us, as well as the $$ spent when down there.
I aggree when you look at the price of the cruise in dollars verus points, it doesn't add up but if you can't afford to cruise then within the next 12 months take a week at Disney, using your points is worth it,

Just my opion

MisterPat
07-08-2003, 12:20 AM
Can somebody verify this?

I was told that as a DVC member, there are discounted cruise rates. A cast mamber at the local Disney Store told me they were available. I plan to call Member Services, but was curious if anyone has info about this?

mickeyc
07-08-2003, 10:58 PM
The Disney Wonder Cruise in Jan. 2003 was not completly sold out. We had an inside cabin. I saw the price advertized in the travel section of our local paper in Northern N.J. I should qualify my orginal statement. The price was $ 399; however, they gave you $100 in ship credit. This price did not include tips.

There were a lot of CM on this cruise. Since my son was finishing the College Program he paid $223 for a cabin with a window and one and one half bath. The above price ($223) included the tips. He received a better deal than we did.

I felt that MS should have a link somehow to advise DVC members when discounts are going to be offered. I used 168 points plus a $75 fee.

We had a great time on the cruise and would do it again. Next time I plan to shop around. It is my understanding that DVC cruises sell out fast. Needless to say I agree at times it is better to pay cash than points, which is the point of my orginal post. As
I recall the regular price was $799 per person. Anyone with some flexibty when they travel apparently will receive some good deals. I hope this information is helpful. Enjoy the cruise when you get to go- -it was great!

Dean
07-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by MisterPat
Can somebody verify this?

I was told that as a DVC member, there are discounted cruise rates. A cast mamber at the local Disney Store told me they were available. I plan to call Member Services, but was curious if anyone has info about this? The only discount is a small discount off rack rates that's definitely higher than you can get on your own. So in effect there's no discount with DVC.