PDA

View Full Version : How scary is the Clown Slide at BW Pool?

KyMattDisney
07-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Just looking for an honest opinion...how scary looking is the clown slide at the BW pool? My 3 1/2 son has a recently developed fear of clowns, but mostly it is clowns in person.....does this slide tend to scare children?

Does anyone have a good picture of the slide? Maybe if he sees it prior it will be less scary...Thanks

Deb & Bill
07-03-2003, 01:20 PM
It looks like a combination of Bozo the Clown and the clown from the Stephen King book "IT".

jel0511
07-03-2003, 01:45 PM
Here are a couple links to pictures. I think it's scary!!!

http://www.wdwig.com/bw38.jpg
http://www.wdwig.com/bwi7.jpg

MarylandPizzaman
07-03-2003, 01:49 PM
IMO, I don't think you will have any problems. If you are up close to it you don't even know what it is supposed to be. My suggestion is to not even tell him what it is supposed to be. Just tell him it is a water slide and thats all.

Goofy4Mickey
07-03-2003, 01:53 PM
My daughters (3 & 5) didn't really seem to pay any attention to it

...........but it scares me (38......).

kathleena
07-03-2003, 03:31 PM
I just can't understand this scary thing at all.

It's a big clown face and the mouth is open and the slide comes through the mouth.

My 4 y/o granddaughter loved it and thought it was funny to come sliding out the mouth.

spiceycat
07-03-2003, 03:36 PM
there is also one here - look under photo album

http://dvc.disney.go.com/disneyvacationclub/resorts/resortdescriptionindex?id=BoardwalkVillasResort

geffric
07-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Is he afraid of water slides or just clowns? If it is clowns, well you can't see the clown when you go down it. If it is water slides, my youngest was afraid of water slides and he started small with the little one at SAB and then he was ready for the BW slide.

CaptainMidnight
07-03-2003, 05:17 PM
Oh my gosh......

It's hard to even look at the pictures without shivering in fear.........

Please, no more pictures........

bnlbebes
07-03-2003, 11:29 PM
I have a funny story re: the Clown Slide from our recent trip to BWV.

I finally got DW to watch newly 1-year-old DS in the wading pool so that I could take my first trip down the Keister Coaster. I climbed to the top of the stairs and waited my turn with various other excited Keisterers. The Lifeguard at the top was "earning her ears" as were many other cast members we saw on this trip, and I thought it was odd how quickly she was sending sliders one after the other. She would say go just after they turned the first corner of the slide near the top. When it was my turn, I waited for the "Go" and went, FAST. Unlike most of the kids who go down sitting up, I laid on my back rocket-style. Nearing the last turn, I alarmingly saw a girl of about 8 or 9 years old cruising down the slide ahead of me. I reached up to stop myself and ended up cutting my finger on the top of the slide. I also succeeded in crashing into the little girl and coming out of the chute at the same time as her. She was a sport, though, and when I asked how she was, she said fine and swam away.

Moral of the story: Be your own judge before sliding down the slide.

Margie J
07-03-2003, 11:56 PM
If you have a fear of clowns it is VERY scary!

:earseek: :earseek: :earseek: :earseek:

Honestly, there is no way you can avoid seeing that clown face. A phobia is a phobia, whether it's of bugs, heights or clowns. If your child has a fear of clowns, show him a picture of the pool area first. If he reacts badly, don't go over to that side of the Resort. There are other pools you can use.

Werner Weiss
07-03-2003, 11:57 PM
http://www.wernerweiss.com/dis-images/it-slide.jpg

( based on the image at http://www.wdwig.com/bw38.jpg )

Maistre Gracey
07-04-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Werner Weiss
http://www.wernerweiss.com/dis-images/it-slide.jpg

( based on the image at http://www.wdwig.com/bw38.jpg ) Too funny! I think I found some new wallpaper! :teeth:

Dreamfinder2
07-04-2003, 09:20 AM
What if you slid INTO the clown's mouth?

Eeeewwwww.

RweTHEREyet
07-04-2003, 09:50 AM
As an adult, even I think that clown is freaky looking, the original one, not to mention Werner's rendition. I have no desire to visit that pool.

DeeP
07-04-2003, 12:02 PM
The clown slide is horrible, it will give you nightmares for weeks. Avoid this pool at all costs, matter of fact avoid this whole resort at all costs, there is a definite Stephen King infuence throughout the resort between the clown slide from "It" and and the long, scary hallways from "The Shining", if you look down the long, long, long hallways long enough you will see the ghosts from the Shining slowly coming towards you! It is enough to scare the crap out of anyone, definitely avoid this resort and pool.

Margie J
07-04-2003, 12:04 PM
Werner .......... OMG ............ LOL ............ :jester:

That's what I see every time I look at that BW clown! :p

And those halls ......... they look like the endless hallway from the HM, honestly. Just picture the candlabra floating in one of those BW halls. :eek:

Tagrel
07-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Just ran this picture by my 6 and 4 year old daughters. They think it looks like fun!

Here is another LARGE shot that shows all the detail... (See all the Boardwalk Villas shots here: Your Magical Journeys: BWV Pictures (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/bwv.htm)

http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/images/bw_clownpool2.jpg

CaptainMidnight
07-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

No more please..........stop.......stop......stop....

We've even swam in the pool at 1:00am.... and LIVED!!!!!

Patpat15
07-04-2003, 01:36 PM
It seems to look even more scary after a few drinks at the outside bar!

colleen costello
07-04-2003, 05:32 PM
We spent one of our best days at WDW, right at this very pool. I felt no Steven King influences and YES, I did read "It." If you walk up to the pool from the left side, toward the snack bar, you really don't even SEE the stupid clown! My son, who just turned 5, LOVED this slide ... he went down over and over again.

Clowns aside, this is a fast slide. My son begged me to try it and I did. About half way up, I panicked. I am TERRIBLY afraid of heights. Wen I got to the top, the lifeguard asked me if I was OK! I admitted I was afraid of heights and was trying to figure out the easiest way down -- steps or slide. I finally went down the slide and (perhaps because I am a chunky-monkey Mom?) I went FAST! I tried to get a grip but I was terrified... Check this one out yourself before you let a child go down! Again, I have mental health issues with heights. .. My kids LOVED the whole area including this slide.

Get the PB&J kids meal! Two great little round crustless sandwiches, a big cookie and chips for $4! This will give your child the energy to resist the clown...

Happy Birthday Cat
07-04-2003, 06:56 PM
The clown slide is more scarey to adults than to kids. I still think it would be better if they turned it around and had you slide INTO the clowns mouth!!;)

HBC

JKLLady
07-04-2003, 07:14 PM
My DS, 6, hates all clowns w/a passion; we coudn't go down to the floor for Ringling Bros. circus because he didn't want to be anywhere near a clown. As far as he's concerned the only good clown is Ronald McDonald! However, he loves the Keister Coaster & doesn't care one bit that the front is a clown face; it's his favorite slide on property, and the pool on a whole only ranks slightly below SAB on his rating chart.
My guess is if my clown-phobic DS isn't bothered at BWV, neither will your child be upset. I say go for it!!!

CarolMN
07-04-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by DeeP
The clown slide is horrible, it will give you nightmares for weeks. Avoid this pool at all costs, matter of fact avoid this whole resort at all costs, there is a definite Stephen King infuence throughout the resort between the clown slide from "It" and and the long, scary hallways from "The Shining", if you look down the long, long, long hallways long enough you will see the ghosts from the Shining slowly coming towards you! It is enough to scare the crap out of anyone, definitely avoid this resort and pool.

This fellow BWV owner completely agrees with you! :teeth: :p

P.S. For those of you who may not know, all of these scary clown threads are regularly started by a select group of BWV owners who want to keep BWV all to themselves. They are the same group of people who secretly post under the screen name "Richyams" and try to get people to stay at OKW. Don't say you were never warned!!

DeeP
07-05-2003, 12:03 AM
Carol,
Shhhhhhhhh, don't let our secret out. We all know that BWV is a haunted, scary place. Heck it is where the 999 grim grinning ghosts come to vacation from the Haunted Mansion so they can join their ghost friends from the Shining and Pennywise from It. And boy do these guys party into the wee hours of the night, they greatly add to the terrible noisy atmosphere of this haunted resort with their shrieking, moaning and rattling of their old, dry dead bones, it is horrible!

Maistre Gracey
07-05-2003, 12:16 AM
I heard that the housekeepers are really clowns. I'm not possitive, but a reliable source said there was knock on their door for trash & towel service. When they opened the door, there was a clown with an armload of towels trying to come into the room.
I have heard of several reports of this happening, but the members are never heard from again to confirm it.

akghutton
07-05-2003, 09:02 AM
We took my son to BWV when he was 2, and he loved the "clown pool." He still fondly talks about going there. I personally don't get the fear of the clown pool posts; it's a slide, and a fun one at that. I think that most kids will love the entire theme of the pool, spraying elephants, merry-go-round pool bar, circus train playground, and clown rollercoaster slide. I know my family, including my toddler son, did.:D