PDA

View Full Version : What is it that we all love so much??

panfan
07-03-2003, 09:43 AM
Hi!

I'm a new owner at BCV and had my first trip in May in a one bedroom at BWV. I can see already that even though we have been to WDW many times in the past, with DVC it is only the beginning. What I mean is--the whole "feel" of DVC is different than just being a hotel guest. I am looking forward to many NON- COMMANDO style trips in the future. (DS7 and DS2) Spending more time just enjoying the pool and other non-park stuff. Before it was mostly commando park touring and expensive meals!

I guess what I am really asking is what is it about DVC BESIDES the actual parks that appeals to everyone. I noticed from reading these boards for the past couple of months that the parks aren't even a big part of it for some of you! Is it just being at Disney or the florida location??

At this point with our young family the park thing is for us but I can definately see some Adult Only trips (short of course) in the future to DVC that wont focus entirely on the parks!!

Just some thoughts:)

spiceycat
07-03-2003, 09:53 AM
OKW has 4 pools - so you can generally find one - where there is adults only - no kids trying to bunk you or a being hit by a ball - or whatever.

OKW is very laid back - I need that after a hard day at the parks - we are going to try at Value resort for our next trip - mother will start screaming probably the second or the first day about how much she missed OKW......

OKW is just home when I am at WDW.

VWL is one of the most beautiful resorts I have ever stayed at - but everyone has different taste.

Pa@okw95
07-03-2003, 09:58 AM
I got free passes for over 5 years to the parks and before I was a DVC member I made about 20 trips to WDW, all and all 35 trips to WDW, the parks sort of loose their appeal. EPCOT, once my favorite, has been hacked to death and new trill rides added, Animal Kingdom is a zoo in spite of WDW trying to tell us it is "not a zoo". I never liked MGM and MK is an amusement park with some very long waits for short rides. You quickly change from a commando to gee do I really want to go through this, or should we just walk aronnd the parks. After a while you begin to wonder why did I buy a ticket. Too many trips especially since joining DVC. I enjoy the winter down there. Like you said it is the location not the parks for us.

DebbieB
07-03-2003, 10:09 AM
I love the roominess of DVC. Even if it's just me and my mom, we get a 1 bedroom. It's great to not feel like you are cooped up in a hotel room. She usually goes to bed early, I like to stay up watching TV and surfing on my laptop until about midnight. No problem with a 1 bedroom. We're not big breakfast eaters, so we have a quick breakfast with bagels or waffles in the toaster. You have the washer/dryer right in the room. It is much more laid back, you don't worry so much about seeing everything in the parks, you know you will be back.

Marisa'sMom
07-03-2003, 10:24 AM
I love this topic! You are so right Panfan! We love the parks, but sometimes it's nice just enjoying the surroundings of DVC, the whole Disney thing. :p

We tend to spend at least one week during the summer and I'm not one for big crowds, long waits and hot weather when I'm visiting the parks. I can't wait to be at WLV next week. We are planning on hanging out by the pool, shopping, water park, riding a water mouse, just all those other things we don't stop to enjoy when we are there to visit the parks.

My DH and DD are already in Orlando visiting our families (I didn't have enough vacation time) and my DH called me from the water taxi going over to WLV and I can't tell you how jealous I was!!:rolleyes: My Mom took my 9 yr. old DD to the Grand for Tea. They loved it! It's stuff like that, that makes us so happy we belong to DVC!

My plane can't get to Orlando fast enough tomorrow morning!:Pinkbounc Then Sunday morning we're going to the food store and off the WLV to hang out by the pool. Life is great!:teeth:

Peddler
07-03-2003, 11:03 AM
For us its the abilty to have a nice large place to stay that we can share with friends and family. To do whatever strikes you be it Disney or non Disney
We especialy enjoy visiting the gurgling siutcase, trying out alll the great places to eat, both disney and non Disney.
This labor day week we will be at VB for 3 days in a Cottage and 4 days at BWV in a 2br, which will be a first time visit for us. We will be taking some to enjoy it with us.:Pinkbounc

dianeschlicht
07-03-2003, 11:43 AM
WE really like being emersed in Disney magic for the whole trip. We have favorite things we like to do, and some days we will just do one park thing and then just make dinner ressies at one of the grea WDW restaurants. I remember our last day in January this year. We went to MGM and did "Who wants to be a Millionaire, play it" about 6 times! Some days we play minigolf and shop at DTD. Some days, we only go to ride the Kilamanjaro Safari, see the bird show, and go back to relax. It is just knowing that all that Disney magic is at your finger tips all the time that appeals to us. We buy annual passes and usually get up to 30 days on them by planning 3 trips in 365 days.

beccasmom
07-03-2003, 12:05 PM
For us, it is being able to really enjoy all of Disney without the "pressure" of going all day, every day to the point of exhaustion. We've certainly done that in the past (and it was fun!), but now we can relax, kick back and know we can do things on our terms, our schedules and our moods.

I truly feel home at OKW. It is such a peaceful place for me and my soul is refreshed whenever I spend some time there. It is the next best thing to living full time in the Magic Kingdom (a frequent daydream) and I feel truly a part of all of the magic. Sharing it with family and friends is the icing on the cake!

ZerasPride
07-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Our home resort is Hilton Head and we love it there! It's so laid back and relaxing. I really enjoy the "low country" feel and the spacious 2 bedroom villas and not having to buy park tickets! I also enjoy the parks and right now can't imagine visiting Orlando and not at least going to the MK and Epcot.

My favorite on-site DVC resort is OKW. I definitely see some future visits with DH and I alone just "chiling". The resort itself has so much to offer and there are so many non-park things to do (golf, Downtown Disney, DisneyQuest, tennis, renting water craft, swimming in one of the pools, a leisurely breakfast, lunch or dinner at Olivia's and on and on) that I could see us visiting and not going to the parks.

I just love being a DVC member. I have wanted to join for about 5 years before I realized we could afford it and 2 years before I convinced DH to buy in. I can't wait to go "home" next month!

kaf7878
07-03-2003, 06:56 PM
I agree with others, its just that Disney Magic. We're from Tampa and have done the parks so many times that I don't need to go there every trip. We like taking the kids to the pool, going out to eat, walking around, enjoying great customer service, being immersed in friendly vacationers and just being together as a family at the happiest place on Earth!

JimC
07-03-2003, 07:58 PM
Greetings fellow Delaware Valley resident. Disney has a lot to offer -- parks, golf, pools, shopping, dining, great CMs, night clubs, auto racing, water sports, incredible theming, attention to detail, atmosphere as diverse as laid back and secluded OKW to more active BW. Its all here and each has its die hard devotees and each has its critics. And on these boards you get all sides.

My wife and I enjoy the parks, but in a different way by ourselves than when we had young girls. We still have our favorite rides, and know how to enjoy them with the minimum of fuss. With APs we come and go as we please.

With DVC, we enjoy more time in the resort. We eat breakfasts and some lunches in our home, certainly more pool time. We can pack much less because of the washer/dryer and the complete setup of the units. There is so much variety.

Last visit we stayed at the Poly and enjoyed the Electrical Water Pageant while sitting on a bench swing on the beach. Afterwards we watched the fireworks over at MK. We did that two or three nights just enjoying the lagoon view and each other. We had last done that 25 years ago. We probably would not have done that when our girls were with us. Always on the go then.

Now when we stroll down Mainstreet we stop and read the windows on the store fronts, knowing the names and their connections to the Disney family and history. As others have said there is no need to rush or to see it all.

jodifla
07-03-2003, 08:20 PM
This is a great thread!

I grew up going to Disney since we moved to Tampa in 1969. To me, Disney has always had that magic, particularly when you stayed on site.

I think part of the thing DVC members love so much is that fact you know your future holds so many great Disney trips! And like previous posters said, that means you can focus on the little things instead of just pounding the parks 12 hours a day. When you really stop to look at all the things Disney has to offer, from the Electrical Boat Parade to the terrific themed pools to even the story time at night over the TV, can you really say anyplace else in the world offers that kind of complete entertainment experience?

Now that we have a DS (19 months), I get such joy out of watching him enjoy the same things I did when I was a little girl. And I'm glad he'll grow up knowing that the world can be full of magical times.

wordzylady
07-03-2003, 08:36 PM
This is a great thread. We had been to Disney for four years in a row before we joined DVC. After our first trip home last year we realized what a great choice we had made. It seemed in the years before when we stayed at Disney we were always on the run to the parks, to the food court, to the pool, back to the parks. I never really came home feeling relaxed and unwound.

It was so great on our first trip to BWV with the roomy accomodations and everything right there for us. We enjoyed not running out for dinner or down to the laundry facilities that were always crowded. We spent what time we wanted at the parks and couldn't wait to get back to enjoy the pool or just read a book on the balcony or in the room. It was a totally different kind of relaxing vacation for us. Even our 13 year old found a little more freedom with the community center at BWV and other teens to have some fun with -- which gave us a chance to enjoy some relaxing time.

Dreamfinder2
07-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Thanks, Panfan. This one's good!

After having lived in the Disney area for several years, and going virtually weekly when our kids were younger, we managed to prowl every nook and cranny of the parks over time.

But now, 700 miles away, those trips are real treats now. And the joy of DVC for us is being able to "go home," and even better, to be able to introduce friends who've never been to Disney to a trip in high style. I guess it's all about sharing the magic for us.

And, to be able to check out new attractions and know that there are plenty of other opportunities to do so.

That's just for starters. I'm sure I could come up with plenty more!