PDA

View Full Version : HH Beach House and "A Private Affair"

WebmasterDoc
07-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Last evening we had the pleasure of once again enjoying "A Private Affair" with Chef Gordon here at HH.

The event is offered once each day it's available and advance reservations are suggested. Chef Gordon will prepare a gourmet meal for your group from a varied menu of typical "low-country" dishes (although he can prepare something for any taste). The cost is $150 for the first three guests and $50 for each additional guest. Children are welcome and he can provide something for them, even if they won't partake in the real meal.

The dinner was offered in a Grand Villa initially, but is now presented at the Beach House with a view of the ocean as a backdrop. It is an elegant event for parties of most any size. He has served groups from 2 - 20. This was our third year to enjoy his culinary expertise and to share his pleasant company. He is also happy to share recipes of anything he prepares.

Last night's fireworks were cancelled due to inclement weather (we were "visited" by the remnants of TS Bill yesterday and again today), so everyone is eager for the July 4th display on the marsh.

This morning we enjoyed the "Behind the Ears" tour, guided by CM Connie (who also offers the resort's tour of HH). She shared a history of HH and Longview (the island the resort sits on) and pointed out the history and hidden Mickey's of the resort itself. I had the pleasure afterwards of meeting rtp-resident and jag90 from the DIS. (I know jag90 and family will enjoy their "Private Affair" dinner this evening.) It's always nice to put faces to the names here on the DVC Board.

Here is a link to some more <a href="http://disneydoc.homestead.com/HHBeachHouse.html">HH resort photos</a>, specifically some from the Beach House and "A Private Affair."

Enjoy!

burnsoc
07-02-2003, 05:27 PM
:eek:
Boy, am I jealous. My DW and I had done "A Private Affair" in January. It was one of the most enjoyable dining experiences I've had. I hope you are having a great time, and thanks for the pictures!
-Chris

Maistre Gracey
07-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Well, food is one of my favorite things. :)
Doc, if I may ask a couple of questions:

1) Could you give a brief description of the standard menu?

2) Does Chef Gordon do this all year long, or just during the more prime months?

3) Do I understand correctly that he offers "A Private Affair" once per day? If so, what time?

4) How many people can sit for dinner?

5) How far in advance do I need to make resevations?

Sorry to bombard you with Q's!
Thanx in advance.....:cool:

TnRobin
07-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Doc you are making is sooooo difficult to keep my Park reservations this Fall. Post like this make me want to cancel my WDW ressies and book Hilton Head for October.

rsschneck
07-02-2003, 07:58 PM
I LOVE all the Hilton Head Photos you have been posting. I can't wait! Hilton Head here we come!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

WebmasterDoc
07-02-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Maistre Gracey
Well, food is one of my favorite things. :)
Doc, if I may ask a couple of questions:

1) Could you give a brief description of the standard menu?

2) Does Chef Gordon do this all year long, or just during the more prime months?

3) Do I understand correctly that he offers "A Private Affair" once per day? If so, what time?

4) How many people can sit for dinner?

5) How far in advance do I need to make resevations?

Sorry to bombard you with Q's!
Thanx in advance.....:cool:

1) Gordon can prepare most anything. His current suggested menu includes: Filet Mignon, Grouper, Shrimp, Pork Tenderloin.
Appetizers include spinach salad and crabcakes. Since I'm not doing his descriptions justice, I'll try to find an earleir post with his exact suggested menu. Each course also includes an appropriate wine at no additional charge.

We enjoyed the crabcakes (with Devils Elbow sauce), Grouper- served with almond rice and vegetables and cheescake with raspberry sauce and champagne for dessert.

2) Yes, the program is offered year round.

3) It is not offered every night. It is dependant on Gordon's schedule.

4) As I mentioned earlier, he has served as many as 20 people, but I think he could handle even more if needed.

5) Since it is not available every night, you should check for availability as early as possible. He does need 24 hour notice for the menu and does not need exact numbers at the time of the reservation. There will be times when there is availability once you are at the resort and other times when it fills months ahead. He has been booked the past 3 nights. You can call the resort at 843-341-7144 for more information. I can provide Gordon's email if interested.

luckytso
07-02-2003, 08:53 PM
Doc, thanks for the great info.

We would love to book the Private Affairs. Does he allow children? Mine would not let me leave them behind. If so, do you know how much they charge for kids?

BTW, for some reason, I always pictured Chef Gorden as a stocky guy, not what you had in the picture:p

WebmasterDoc
07-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Children are definitely welcome. Some parents have brought McDonalds for their children, but Gordon can certainly have something for them. You would need to work out any costs with him in advance.

Gordon has lost weight since last year, but has never been stocky since we've known him. We asked him about this and he replied that even though he around food most of the time, he never has much chance to eat- only sample everything to make sure the taste is as desired. He is great about describing everything as he prepares the food before you. Questions are always welcome.

It's a great experience.

Maistre Gracey
07-02-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by WebmasterDoc
1) Gordon can prepare most anything. His current suggested menu includes: Filet Mignon, Grouper, Shrimp, Pork Tenderloin.
Appetizers include spinach salad and crabcakes. Since I'm not doing his descriptions justice, I'll try to find an earleir post with his exact suggested menu. Each course also includes an appropriate wine at no additional charge.

We enjoyed the crabcakes (with Devils Elbow sauce), Grouper- served with almond rice and vegetables and cheescake with raspberry sauce and champagne for dessert.

2) Yes, the program is offered year round.

3) It is not offered every night. It is dependant on Gordon's schedule.

4) As I mentioned earlier, he has served as many as 20 people, but I think he could handle even more if needed.

5) Since it is not available every night, you should check for availability as early as possible. He does need 24 hour notice for the menu and does not need exact numbers at the time of the reservation. There will be times when there is availability once you are at the resort and other times when it fills months ahead. He has been booked the past 3 nights. You can call the resort at 843-341-7144 for more information. I can provide Gordon's email if interested.
Thanx for all the info, Doc. this sounds absolutely fantastic! I am working on getting a night at HH on our next trip, and if I succeed, this will be on my 'must do' list!
The only reason I have yet to visit the HH property, is that I'm afraid I will like it too much, and want to add-on! :cool:

luckytso
07-02-2003, 09:29 PM
Doc, just out of curiosity, what does Gorden do the rest of his time while working? There is no on-site restaurants, right?

Thanks

RumpleMom
07-03-2003, 07:14 AM
Doc- You made my day with the Beach House pictures! Thanks

We will be there for our first visit soon.

WebmasterDoc
07-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by luckytso
Doc, just out of curiosity, what does Gorden do the rest of his time while working? There is no on-site restaurants, right?

Thanks

Correct, there are no onsite full service restaurants and Gordon does not work in the snack bars. He is part of the recreation staff and has many duties in that capacity. He spends much of his time with budgetary planning, but does fill in with other responsibilities at times (he occasionally drives the shuttle and serves at events like the "Welcome Home Celebration" on Sunday's). He has created many special programs in the Longview Cooking Club series and hosts all of the "tasting" events offered at the resort. He also guides the "Behind the Ears" tour at times. While he is a culinary school trained chef and truly loves to prepare fine food, he has lived at HH for over 20 years and brings a lot of experience to the staff here. He is very creative and adds a lot to the resort. (I also think he knows EVERYONE here at HH!!) He is a wealth of information about places to eat and activities in the area to try- beyond what the resort has to offer.

SafariTigger
07-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Thanks Doc,
A Private Affair sounds great. I am going to HH for my first time in August and the more I hear about it the more excited I get about the trip! Hope you are having a great time!

KarenB
07-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Glad you had another terrific "Private Affair!" Thanks for the pictures too. Were you able to have the doors wide open towards the beach? I think that would just put the icing on the cake to open the doors, feel the breeze and listen to the ocean!!!!

Karen

lsutigger2
07-03-2003, 08:59 PM
Doc, once again thanks for the pics ! They are great !

Had to chuckle to myself, I thought I was the only one who took
pictures of signs!! I like to include them in my scrapbooks.

Enjoy your vacation!

Donna
07-04-2003, 07:27 PM
What is gordon's email address?the last time we did private affair, he opened the doors to the ocean, which was lit from the moon, beautiful warm night, it was like heaven.

WebmasterDoc
07-04-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by KarenB
Glad you had another terrific "Private Affair!" Thanks for the pictures too. Were you able to have the doors wide open towards the beach? I think that would just put the icing on the cake to open the doors, feel the breeze and listen to the ocean!!!!

Karen

We tried to open the doors, but we had a heavy wind blowing off the ocean (courtesy of TS Bill) and the result was too much wind! The surf was exremely heavy that night and the next morning, but is back to normal now.

Usually, the door are open and the sounds of the surf truly do enhance the evening.

AEN
07-08-2003, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the great pictures link. I cannot wait to go next month.

jjcollins
07-13-2003, 04:59 PM
What can i say - well worth the money - a must do - food was yummmmmmmmm -- a very nice man ohhh and great wine to lol

jj...... :p