PDA

View Full Version : If money were no object, and I could buy DVC

Claudia Kellenberger
07-02-2003, 01:37 PM
This is a far off, hypothetical question if money were no object for me. I would love to buy into DVC but can not afford it, especially when I am making car payments.

And So I dream......

I will be going to BWV this December on rented points, however.

So if money were no object, I would love to spend one entire week at BCV every early May, and one entire week at BWV every early December. I figured it out to be a total of 452 points per year, using the points calculator.

What kind of an investment would it be if I bought 452 points per year ? Really.........I have no idea.

spiceycat
07-02-2003, 01:49 PM
first of all there are ways to save some points - don't do Fri and Sat - they are twice as much as the rest of the week

8 points Sun-thur
20 points Fri and Sat

also stay in a studio for a 1 visit and do the 1-bedroom for the other visit. or do a studio every other year.

anyway those are ways to save on points

452 * 84 = $37,968

you can let DVC buy back your first year points

452 * 74 = $33,448

I would not get one contract - 452 would be too hard to get rid of if you ever have to sell.

dvc offers financing 1, 3, 5, 7 or 10 years - you pay either 10% or 20% down -

lacool
07-02-2003, 02:27 PM
My car payment was about $260 per month. I got a home equity loan for DVC plus the cost that I still owed on the car. True, it means I will be paying off my car for the next ten years, but that is only if I don't pay off early, which is my plan. Anyway, my current payment is now $280, only $20 more than I had been paying on the car anyway, and now the interest is tax deductable. I am not telling you to get into debt, but simply to examine the options available to you.

Donna
07-02-2003, 05:21 PM
That is funny you came up with 452 points, that is exactly what i have only my resorts are HH and OKW. I have about 4 contracts that total that much. With 152 at HH and 300 at OKW, my dues are about $1572 ($131 a mo.) a year, so yours would be slightly more at BCV and BWV. When i had the loan for the points, the add'l monthly payment was about $240. After i lost my job, the first thing i did was pay off the DVC with part of my severance, lol.
I have my priorities!

jimmytammy
07-02-2003, 11:26 PM
Ok, I have this thing figured out for you:

I say sell the car, get a bicycle and take the payments you were making on the car and buy that DVC contract:)

Hypothetically speaking of course ( MYSELF, I would do something like that )

Caskbill
07-02-2003, 11:38 PM
You do have to be realistic though, and no one here really wants you to over extend yourself financially.

You might consider a smaller contract, 150 points. It won't give you what you want, but does make a lot of other possibilities, especially if you bank and borrow (which will give you 450 points once every 3-years).

Financing is reasonable, and if you own a home, an equity loan might be attractive to you.

All of us here truly love Disney and DVC, and many make trade-offs to have this instead of something else (maybe buying a used car instead of a new one?)

It's up to you to know what you can really afford. If it does work out for you, then that's great.

crisi
07-03-2003, 09:21 AM
I'll chime in with Caskbill....no reason you need to go for the whole shebang at once. Three 150 point contracts for 450 points would be easier to resell than one 450 point contract. And you could mix up your resorts a little to get your eleven month booking window.

With your first 150 points, bank and borrow to go every other year or every eighteen months at a DVC resort. Get it paid off, make sure the dues are manageable. Your other trips can be either taken on rented points, taken at regular resorts or (radical) not taken at all and the money you would spend set aside for more points. Once that's paid off, you'll do the celebrated add on dance for the next 150 points (at that time Disney will sell you smaller contracts as well, so you could get a few small 50 point contracts).

Claudia Kellenberger
07-03-2003, 01:19 PM
Thanks so much for all your replies. I had also figured it out with conserving the points and not using DVC for Friday and Saturday nights. I figure Friday and Saturday nights at The Swan, and then 5 nights at BCV or BWV one bedroom.
That would be so wonderful.....twice per year !
That would come up to 250 points per year. That's a big difference from 452 points !!

( Where *IS* that Lottery !?! )

Anyway.......It is so wonderful to be a part of it all........even just on rented points.

And if a CM says "Welcome Home" to me, I'm gonna get a bit misty eyed. LOL !

Lisa F
07-03-2003, 02:26 PM
If I were you I'd sell the car and buy a cheapie AND dvc. I would MUCH rather have dVC than a car (and what car built nowadays that you can buy for around $12,000 will last 40 years???)

Lisa

jimmytammy
07-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Right on LisaF, Im with you! I like the way you think :)

Melrosgirl
07-04-2003, 07:38 AM
Great idea actually! I love WDW in May and look forward to seeing it in December, too!

Good luck!