PDA

View Full Version : OKW and your retirement plans

tvwalsh
07-02-2003, 10:59 AM
One often repeated theme is OKW as a great place for retired people, especially snowbirds. I have met my goal of adding on until I totalled 500 points ( 230 at OKW) and am planning on using them primarily to get a one bedroom each year for the better part of January or February. Of course, Concierge Collection trades and points given to relatives as well as the need for a two bedroom this year to bring the kids and grandkids, has reduced us to a twelve day stay (Jan 11-23) this year, but someday...

What are your retirement plans for OKW?

spiceycat
07-02-2003, 11:03 AM
I don't know if my plans will change that much - definitely will go more - I think - but still probably 5 to 6 days in Sept, Dec - maybe add May, Mar -

I am not going to buy any more points (at this time) because I think I have enough (just have to stop being so nice to friends, family and co-workers).

Laurabearz
07-02-2003, 11:23 AM
We have enough points to stay from Dec 24th thru Feb 24th in a studio at OKW.... and dont think we havent dreamed about doing it!

More realistly a one bedroom for the whole month of Jan would suit us better!

Simba's Mom
07-02-2003, 11:46 AM
Our retirement plans involve being able to visit OKW more often. One reason we're planning to move to Alabama when we retire is so that we can take more trips to WDW without having to spend the money flying. Where we are now, every trip involves either a lot of money to fly or a lot of time to drive. So when DH isn't playing golf in Alabama, you can find him at LBV and me at the parks!

Basser
07-02-2003, 12:03 PM
We're planning to retire in Florida. That means many long weekends at OKW with a week thrown in here and there.

Another Idea would be for Disney to convert OKW into a retirement community for DVC'ers.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :wave: :jester:

Pa@okw95
07-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Starting in January of 2005 we will be there all of January through the first 2 weeks of Feb. We will be staying off site so we can make the most of our points and stretch our stay. It is about 80 points for a one bedroom in Jan for 5 days at OKW if my memory serves me. Staying at the Hilton some of the weekends and maybe renting a condo unit also off campus we should have a great time getting out of the cold up here in CT>

StormTigger
07-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Basser
Another Idea would be for Disney to convert OKW into a retirement community for DVC'ers.

LOL - There ya go!! Sign me up!!! :bounce: :bounce:

MdmMim
07-02-2003, 01:39 PM
My goal is to spend all of January and half of February at the BWV. Right now, I am working toward that, as I have ressies from Jan. 15 through Feb. 17, but in order to totally accomplish that goal, I must wean myself away from my December trips. (Not an easy thing to do!) Or add-on once again. :rolleyes:

I love extended stays at the BWV. It's great not paying attention to a calendar or clock! :)

WolfpackFan
07-02-2003, 02:30 PM
Well I am so glad you started this thread. This is one of the main reasons we joined DVC. I retire in less than 2 years now (actually looking at my countdown clock :D - it's 699 days 1 hr 34 mins. and 28 secs). I hate cold weather and here in N.C. it seems like lately we've gotten hit with it bad each winter. If it's not 16 inchs of snow, it's ice bringing down trees and power lines (which is alot worse than the snow). After I retire I plan to spend about a month in Florida starting about 2nd week of January going to mid-February. And DVC is going to make it affordable. I plan to start with about a week at VWL (being carefull of Fr and Sat points), then drive to Miami and take a week long cruise, then after the cruise drive down to Key West and stay a couple of days, then drive either back to Vero Beach or WDW and spend another week at a DVC resort. I am really looking forward to doing this. I have a 401K account setup to finance my annual winter trip for the things that will cost above and beyond our DVC points.

Pinnie
07-02-2003, 04:07 PM
WTG Wolfpackfan!

Dh and I have a couple more years until we retire and your plan sounds a lot like ours!!!

pin

chrissyk
07-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by WolfpackFan
I hate cold weather and here in N.C. it seems like lately we've gotten hit with it bad each winter. If it's not 16 inchs of snow, it's ice bringing down trees and power lines (which is alot worse than the snow).

This will crack you up WolfpackFan! Right up until yesterday, my DH and I still had NC in the running as a place to move to...our reasoning was that your weather in NC beats the heck out of ours in MA, LOL! I guess that NC weather is not so great after all:rolleyes: We've ruled NC out for another reason alltogether, and it looks like we're moving to FL after all:p :) I can't wait! Last winter was the last straw for us here...it was horrible!!

OKW91
07-02-2003, 06:05 PM
WE have been retired for 2 years now, we spend January thru March in Florida. Lucky for us my sister-in-law lives in Tampa so we alternate a couple of weeks at her home, then OKW for a week, then back to Tampa for a couple of weeks,and so on! This allows us to spend about 4 weeks at OKW during the winter months! We also spend another week in December, this is a tradition that goes way back, we have to visit WDW for the holidays! This works out great for us, alot cheaper then renting or buying a home there.

ncligs
07-03-2003, 07:53 AM
If we don't move to Florida(4 years to retirement)...........we plan on spending Jan and 2-3 weeks in Feb at OKW to get away from the Ohio winters.

SamS
07-03-2003, 09:10 AM
My wife and I own 300 points at BCV, but just spent four nights at OKW. We definitely will consider a OKW add-on when we retire. (Hopefully in about three years; I'm a teacher with 30 years). We definitely want to look at Saratoga Springs as well, but OKW was very enjoyable, including the meal we had at Olivia's the last night. I hope to take my son, his wife, and two grandchildren to OKW for a stay sometime, as well. We're going to BCV next June, staying in two studios (We just don't think we'll get our points' worth from a kitchen that won't get used very much), but a two-bedroom (or two studios) at OKW is definitely a possibility in the future.

walter
07-03-2003, 11:32 AM
It sounds like many of us northern DVC'ers think alike! If are not moving down south, we are looking to spend much of Jan/Feb at a DVC resort. Unfortunately, we have 10 yrs before retirement (but are thinking ahead). Four yrs from now, we may seriously think of purchasing in the northern part of FL. (just a thought).

WolfpackFan
07-04-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by chrissyk
This will crack you up WolfpackFan! Right up until yesterday, my DH and I still had NC in the running as a place to move to...our reasoning was that your weather in NC beats the heck out of ours in MA, LOL!

Our weather has really been strange in the last few years. Usually winters haven't been too bad - in fact sometimes we've had real warm weather in January and February. But lately we've really been hit. Three years ago we had a major snow storm - 15 inchs. That is unprecedented for this area. The trend though lately has been ice storms. We were without power for a week back last November because of falling trees. Then we had another one back in January. Then of course there are the hurricanes. We're in Raleigh about 2 hours or more from the coast - and Hurricane Fran went right over our house. Caused major problems that we're still feeling the effects of. Hurricane Floyd came after that and the flooding was terrible.

I hate to run down my own State - but if possible I'd move to Florida tommorrow. I'd love to live in Orlando.

chrissyk
07-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by WolfpackFan
Our weather has really been strange in the last few years. Usually winters haven't been too bad - in fact sometimes we've had real warm weather in January and February. But lately we've really been hit. Three years ago we had a major snow storm - 15 inchs. That is unprecedented for this area. The trend though lately has been ice storms. We were without power for a week back last November because of falling trees. Then we had another one back in January. Then of course there are the hurricanes. We're in Raleigh about 2 hours or more from the coast - and Hurricane Fran went right over our house. Caused major problems that we're still feeling the effects of. Hurricane Floyd came after that and the flooding was terrible.

I hate to run down my own State - but if possible I'd move to Florida tommorrow. I'd love to live in Orlando.

Ice storms are terrible:( I really hate them because they're so dangerous. We don't get too many here thankfully, but other parts of New England do unfortunately. We do get brutal cold for the better part of every year, though, and we're tired of it. We want to raise our kids somewhere where we don't have to stay inside the house 8-9 months out of the year because of the weather :D Central FL seems like a good fit!

DeeP
07-04-2003, 11:53 AM
I already own a home in FL and plan to retire there for the majority of the year with the rest of the year spent in my other home at the NJ shore. Opposite of what I currently do. Once I retire I will spend the bulk of my time in my FL home and take frequent long trips to WDW using my DVC pts, but I will be staying at either BWV or BCV, not OKW.

tvwalsh
02-07-2004, 01:10 PM
This is thread is another oldie but goodie! It is amazing what a two of three week stay at OKW can do to help shorten the winter. If I can go to OKW for a month, I actually like the climate in Wisconsin.

Richyams
02-07-2004, 01:24 PM
We already live in Florida, but I am still planning to winter at OKW.

I am planning to buy another 200 points in another two or three years. I am hoping OKW resales begin to decline at some point and bu another four or five hundred, would like to see enough points for 26 or 33 days in a GV each winter.

My wife could get an offer somewhere far away, I do like Florida alot, but a good offer could get us back in NY someday. Even if we just stay in Florida, my hope, we have many relatives up north, winter OKW GV will be nice and we will never be short of guests.

Simba's Mom
02-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Although we do plan to move when we retire, it won't be WDW. We do, however, plan to move much closer to WDW-a big factor is it must be within driving distance, not just flying. I want to spend lots of time visiting, so stocking up on more points is in our plans before retirement. Right now we're thinking of moving to Alabama, actually to cool down. The part of Texas we live in has a high "Winter Texan" retirement population, but summers are too hot and they go on forever (even Orlando would be cooler)!

jeanniec
02-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Wolfpack Fan! Are you a native North Carolinian or a transplant? We moved here from Chicago 17 years ago, and it does seem that winters are getting worse. It has been so long since we have had a decent day here in Charlotte and it is always so windy lately. When we first moved here, we noticed the lack of really windy days which made it seem even warmer than it was. This year we have had nothing but wind, rain, ice, cold weather. At first we thought of moving to Florida, but we decided that NC would be more temperate. Not any more! Hope to spend lots more time at OKW as we retire in the next year probably. Would love to move to Hilton Head and do our Florida trips from there.

OKW91
02-07-2004, 04:25 PM
I retired 3 years ago and am lucky that my sister-in-law lives on the gulf coast by Tampa. We come down in early December for a week with the kids and grandchildren at WDW. We return in January and spend a week at OKW and a couple of weeks in Tampa, then back to WDW for another week or two. We alternate back and forth till the beginning of April, then return home, this gives us about a month at OKW, and a couple months in Tampa. I realize that not everyone has relatives in Florida, but this works out great for us! Otherwise we would only be able to stay at OKW the month of January and part of Feburary, in a studio.

DBBN
02-07-2004, 05:23 PM
I've seen threads with the same topic once or twice before and enjoy hearing about retirement plans that include DVC.

We've been planning our retirement at OKW since 1995 when we bought our first contract from Disney. We'll be staying in a one bedroom villa from mid November through the end of February or possibly early March.

Our plan was to accumulate 300 points per year until ready for retirement in 3 years or so. That plan fell behind last year when OKW resale prices were higher than we were willing to pay. Just this week we closed on a 300 point resale and I couldn't be happier with that purchase. I'd like to buy another 600 points this year to get us back on track to our goal of 2800 points. We now have 1375 all at OKW.

All in all we're quite pleased with the way our plan is coming together. There is one thing I'm uncomfortable with...the logistics of making all the reservations necessary to ensure an uninterupted stay. I really don't think it will be a problem for us but you never can tell. It's been easy to reserve OKW and hopefully the future won't change that.

If I could make one change to the reservation process it would be to allow reservations at the home resort 11 months from the check-in date vs the check-out date. Wishful thinking...I know the process won't change.

Dancind
02-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Winner of best retirement plan - DBBN! We just plan to move to Orlando and use our points to stay on site during some slower times of year, and especially for the Food & Wine Festival, and a stay in early Dec. I'm sure we'll also discover the joys of HH and VB then, since we haven't yet. Don't know if we'll need the points to cruise, since we may be able to use FL resident discounts, but we could if we want to! Diana

Deemarch
02-07-2004, 07:30 PM
We can't wait until retirement age...That's 11 years away. We are looking to move to the Melbourne area of Florida soon...Very soon, hopefully 2004 will be the year! We only have 200 points so far, so we will sneak away for weekdays to SSR for now. An add on may be in our future...We figured that with the savings of airfare and a rental car we'd have about $750 more per visit...Add it all up and we can add more points!!!

"A dream is a wish your heart makes"...So far, all of our dreams have come true! There's no stopping us now!

::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

dianeschlicht
02-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Yep, our plan is pretty much the same. I would LOVE to have 1000 points for this! Unfortunately, I only have 380, and might be having access to an additional 150 in a couple years. That will still only give me 530 points, and I would need at least 640 to stay in a 1 bedroom for 4 weeks in January at OKW. I doubt my family would let me stay without them visiting, so I guess I will have to beg borrow or steal more points!:jester:

chrissyk
02-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by jeanniec
Wolfpack Fan! Are you a native North Carolinian or a transplant? We moved here from Chicago 17 years ago, and it does seem that winters are getting worse. It has been so long since we have had a decent day here in Charlotte and it is always so windy lately. When we first moved here, we noticed the lack of really windy days which made it seem even warmer than it was. This year we have had nothing but wind, rain, ice, cold weather. At first we thought of moving to Florida, but we decided that NC would be more temperate. Not any more! Hope to spend lots more time at OKW as we retire in the next year probably. Would love to move to Hilton Head and do our Florida trips from there.

I think that the worsening weather is happening throughout the area from about NC to Maine. That's just my opinion, but I've read a few articles that support this theory. Anyways, I laughed when I saw this old thread come back up on the DVC board. I guess we hadn't firmed up our plans the last time I posted to this thread. Our house is under construction in Celebration as I type this, and we're headed down for the framing walk-thru in a couple of weeks:D We're done with cold winters (and no, we're not retirees, LOL!):p

spiceycat
02-10-2004, 12:17 PM
you are going to live in Celebration - that is great!!!

so when are you having a house warning and inviting all your DVC friends.....

just kidding!!! (I think)....:rolleyes:

I would love to live there!:sunny:

jmminarik
02-10-2004, 02:39 PM
We're not anywhere near retiring, but this thread got me thinking about how nice a month off in January would be. Maybe I need to move to our London office where I'll get 8 weeks 'Holiday'. Makes a month in OKW much more likely. :cool2:

-Joe

chrissyk
02-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by spiceycat
you are going to live in Celebration - that is great!!!

so when are you having a house warning and inviting all your DVC friends.....

just kidding!!! (I think)....:rolleyes:

I would love to live there!:sunny:

We wanted to live in a planned community so our kids could walk to school and the park and such. Celebration was our favorite out of the ones that we looked at. Avalon Park was also very nice, but Celebration was more in line with what we were looking for. I wonder if we'll still like Disney as much once we're living 10 minutes away, LOL!

Poohstar
03-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi Chrissky,

I sent you a PM.

tvwalsh
05-11-2008, 08:29 PM
and I have still never stayed at OKW in the winter longer than about twelve nights. All my 2008 points are used and all I have scheduled is 6 nights in an OKW GV in Sept-Oct and 6 nights in an OKW 2br in January. I am already 63 years old and retired so maybe I will never use the points for the month of February but maybe that is all right too. :thumbsup2

How are your plans working out?

Grandbuddy
05-11-2008, 09:40 PM
and I have still never stayed at OKW in the winter longer than about twelve nights. All my 2008 points are used and all I have scheduled is 6 nights in an OKW GV in Sept-Oct and 6 nights in an OKW 2br in January. I am already 63 years old and retired so maybe I will never use the points for the month of February but maybe that is all right too. :thumbsup2

How are your plans working out?

This is quite a "bump!"

ZekeKelso
05-12-2008, 05:54 AM
This is quite a "bump!" Kinda cool bump in this case. Be interesting to see what people thought they would do with their DVC points many years ago, and how that's working out.

bobbiwoz
05-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Retiring to Tennessee is now a consideration for us, and so, wintering for a month at least at a DVC resort, is still a possibility for us. Our "mix" of resorts would include AKV, OKW and VB.

Bobbi:goodvibes

MdmMim
05-12-2008, 06:26 AM
My old 2003 post: My goal is to spend all of January and half of February at the BWV. Right now, I am working toward that, as I have ressies from Jan. 15 through Feb. 17, but in order to totally accomplish that goal, I must wean myself away from my December trips. (Not an easy thing to do!) Or add-on once again.

I love extended stays at the BWV. It's great not paying attention to a calendar or clock

Now in the present: I have been spending about a month at the BWV in the winter, and have shifted my usual vacation dates from mid-Jan/mid-Feb to mostly all in January (fewer points needed). I have not cut out my Dec trips, and now also go in Oct.

Note: I did add on a few times. ;) I couldn't cut out an annual December trip.:cloud9:

iluvdisney
05-12-2008, 07:38 AM
That would be a dream come true - to stay at my fave DVC for the month of January and most of February - I hope that I can do that sometime soon - just don't know if I could leave "my lil' dog" for that long - and I do enjoy my trips thru-out the year. Will have to check into this kind of planning!

spiceycat
05-12-2008, 09:29 AM
- just don't know if I could leave "my lil' dog" for that long - and I do enjoy my trips thru-out the year. Will have to check into this kind of planning!

disney has some nice kennels - so you could go visit every day.

believe me if my current cats were the travelers that Spicey was - would be there alot longer. instead of my 5 days stay.

Goofy DVC
05-12-2008, 04:46 PM
We bought OKW in 93 at the old age of 31.:rotfl2: Believe it or not we immediately started talking about January's at OKW when we retire. Now that there is so many other DVC resorts we talk about a week here and a week there and week there and another week over there. You get the picture.:) :)
:)

Mai Ku Tiki
07-02-2010, 06:45 AM
So, how have your plans worked out? Anyone have new plans to add ???? What is like for those living the dream????? :cloud9:

dianeschlicht
07-02-2010, 08:59 AM
We have enough points to stay from Dec 24th thru Feb 24th in a studio at OKW.... and dont think we havent dreamed about doing it!

More realistly a one bedroom for the whole month of Jan would suit us better!

That's what I would like too! Unfortunately, we only have 380 OKW points, that doesn't go far each year. We aren't in a position to pay dues on more than that now either, and we still have the 69 AKV points too. We like our 10-12 night stays, and I think we'll stick with that plan for now. That being said, we are only going for week long trips this next season. We have a week in a 1 bedroom booked for December, and a GV booked a week for January with friends. Then I'm probably going to wait until December '11 before our next trip, and that one will likely be our normal 10-12 nights in a 1 bedroom. We'll use 2012 points for an extended March trip.

madcoco
07-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Semi Retired here. I just work the least amount as possible:thumbsup2 Went to college here and we were reverse snowbirds Staying the summers in FL and a good bit of time between OKW,VB and the other Disney Resorts. when DD was out of school. Made the year round move just over 3 yrs ago after she graduated highschool.
I wonder if we'll still like Disney as much once we're living 10 minutes away, LOL! Everyone is different but we have not growed tired of it.If anything we enjoy it much more and you get a different perspective of things. We only live a few miles on the backside of the MK. DW is a PT CM as is DD They work 2 days a week. We're headed down to Celebration now to meet DW for lunch in a bit at Columbia. Staying at OKW Sunday and Mon for the 4th.We have cats so don't have to worry about who is going to watch them. We can run home a few times a day to check on them/and the house and feed them. Was supposed to go to Epcot today but its raining and supposed to rain most of the day. Had 4" yesterday. If anything if you really love Disney being nearby makes it more convenient and you don't have to be forced to go when you don't want to.You can just run in to do one or two things then leave (Well when you have people claiming to be long lost relatives showing up on your doorstep. Run and hide LOL) Good luck in your housebuilding.pirate:

Simba's Mom
07-02-2010, 09:29 AM
The reality is that OKW doesn't fit into our retirement plans much more than now (a week or two a year) because DH isn't nearly as big a Disney "nut" as I am. However, he knows that if anything happens to him, I'd be packed and down at OKW, working in the general store, walking back to my villa in the evenings. However, back to reality. As I told our guide when he called and asked if we wanted to extend our contract to 2055 (or whenever the exact time was). When OKW expires in 2042, DH and I will be 91 and 90 yo, so we plan to sit on our balcony with a couple of Sultry Seahorses and expire along with our contract. What a way to go!

jekjones1558
07-02-2010, 09:33 AM
We bought enough points to stay in a 1 bedroom at OKW for 6 weeks in Jan. - Feb. But so far we haven't been able to be away for more than a week at a time for a number of reasons. But even if things change it would be hard to give up multiple trips per year. I would like to try a week in October, a week in early December, 2 - 3 weeks in Jan. - Mar. and 1 week in late April. The anticipation of each trip is part of the enjoyment for me.

JasonDVC
07-02-2010, 09:41 AM
... When OKW expires in 2042, DH and I will be 91 and 90 yo, so we plan to sit on our balcony with a couple of Sultry Seahorses and expire along with our contract. What a way to go!

This is the most amazing and POWERFUL line I have ever read on the DIS!!!

Cajun28
07-02-2010, 10:06 AM
this is the most amazing and powerful line i have ever read on the dis!!!

ITA!!!!!

I was trying to think of a response to this statement and you said it all.

DenLo
07-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom
... When OKW expires in 2042, DH and I will be 91 and 90 yo, so we plan to sit on our balcony with a couple of Sultry Seahorses and expire along with our contract. What a way to go!

This is the most amazing and POWERFUL line I have ever read on the DIS!!!

We should be so lucky!

dianeschlicht
07-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Yeah, in 2042, we'll be 96 and 95.....We'll expire with our contract as well, as long as we don't kick off before that!

MdmMim
07-02-2010, 11:52 AM
My old 2003 post:
Quote:
My goal is to spend all of January and half of February at the BWV. Right now, I am working toward that, as I have ressies from Jan. 15 through Feb. 17, but in order to totally accomplish that goal, I must wean myself away from my December trips. (Not an easy thing to do!) Or add-on once again.

I love extended stays at the BWV. It's great not paying attention to a calendar or clock

2008 Post: I have been spending about a month at the BWV in the winter, and have shifted my usual vacation dates from mid-Jan/mid-Feb to mostly all in January (fewer points needed). I have not cut out my Dec trips, and now also go in Oct.

Note: I did add on a few times. I couldn't cut out an annual December trip.

2010 Update: I still vacation at the BWV for most of January (Jan 4-29 next year). And still go there in October and December. :cloud9:

My points don't go as far as they used to, however. DS and friends have been doing the January 5K and half-marathon--and they love the BWV pool bar! What's a mother to do?!? :rotfl:

MomsGoneGoofy
07-02-2010, 11:59 AM

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :wave: :jester:

I like that idea :thumbsup2

Mai Ku Tiki
07-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Yeah, in 2042, we'll be 96 and 95.....We'll expire with our contract as well, as long as we don't kick off before that!

I'm thinkin' all of us 80ish-99er party animals are gonna be rockin' at the Gurgling Suitcase in 2042! They better start reinforcing those balconies! :woohoo: :banana: :yay: :thumbsup2 :dance3: :goodvibes

saintstickets
07-02-2010, 03:42 PM
In 2042, DW and I will be the "young whippersnappers" in the bunch at 87 for me and 79 for her. While y'all are sitting on the veranda sipping your adult beverage of choice (alcoholic or warm milk), we'll be trying not to break a hip or throw a back out dancing somewhere! :banana:

FindTheMickeys
07-05-2010, 09:23 AM
My contracts at SSR expire in 2054. I'll be 94 and hopefully still going strong.

My retirement plans (right now) are to retire to somewhere close to Disney in 10-12 years so that I can work for the Mouse a couple of days a week and enjoy the weather the rest of the time :hug:. Indiana winters aren't any fun any more:rolleyes1.

Deb & Bill
07-05-2010, 09:37 AM
So, how have your plans worked out? Anyone have new plans to add ???? What is like for those living the dream????? :cloud9:

Creeeaaaaaakkkkkk. I think I saw moths fly out of this thread when I opened it up.

Mai Ku Tiki
07-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Creeeaaaaaakkkkkk. I think I saw moths fly out of this thread when I opened it up.

:lmao: yep! An oldie! But still a goodie....

for some, the dream lives on.......:cloud9:

Alexander
07-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Retirement Plans? I want to live in an OKW 1 bedroom now!

mac_tlc
07-05-2010, 10:23 AM
My contracts at SSR expire in 2054. I'll be 94 and hopefully still going strong.

My retirement plans (right now) are to retire to somewhere close to Disney in 10-12 years so that I can work for the Mouse a couple of days a week and enjoy the weather the rest of the time :hug:. Indiana winters aren't any fun any more:rolleyes1.

When our OKW contract expires in 2042, I will be 82 and my DW 83. Our plan as of now is to get a place in the Lake Nona area and work PT at WDW if possible. My DW can't think of selling DVC, so my guess is we will keep it for the kids, but use it a little ourselves, too. Before then, it would be great to spend the worst of the winter in Florida. The winters in New England are getting longer, colder, snowier, and "grey-er" --- or maybe it just feels that way.

BTW -- I love this thread!!!!!

mac_tlc

saintstickets
07-05-2010, 08:11 PM

HEY!!! I resemble that remark! It sounds like rice crispies when I wake up in the morning with all the snaps, crackles and pops! :lmao:

Sully
07-05-2010, 09:51 PM
For the past 3 years, we have actually spent 6 weeks at DVC in February and March. We like SSR better than OKW as we use studios and have a sofa to sit on. We do most of our cooking-eating in the studio. We also spend time at VB in an Inn Room. It takes too many points to use a 1 bedroom. Actually indoor camping in DW is better than back home in Wisconsin during the winter.:cool1:

nolanboys
07-05-2010, 09:56 PM
When our OKW contract expires in 2042, I will be 82 and my DW 83. Our plan as of now is to get a place in the Lake Nona area and work PT at WDW if possible. My DW can't think of selling DVC, so my guess is we will keep it for the kids, but use it a little ourselves, too. Before then, it would be great to spend the worst of the winter in Florida. The winters in New England are getting longer, colder, snowier, and "grey-er" --- or maybe it just feels that way.

BTW -- I love this thread!!!!!

mac_tlc

Winters in Illinois are no better! Dream of the day of being able to retire in a warmer climate. We figure if we move some where warmer, our boys will become frequent visitors!

katmittens
07-05-2010, 10:50 PM
DH will be 88 in 2042 and I will be 85, so it is a nice thought of us still going to Disney and sitting on the balcony of OKW our home resort. We do 2 to 3 trips a year. Our kids are 26 and 22 and still vacation with us sometimes. Last year was our first trip to the world without them and we had a great time(don't tell them) It was different but enjoyable. I love the idea of spending a month or more at Disney when we retire. We also talk about moving down there once we retire. We are tired of our winters, cold and snowy. NE Pa can get quite cold and snowy. I like the idea of a week at OKW and then maybe the West Coast of Fl or Vero, and then back to OKW. I don't know if we have enough of points to stay a month or two straight. Maybe I should do an add on. :cool1:

MinnieLee
07-06-2010, 05:25 AM
My DH has always asked me if it would cost a "kabillion" points (haven't figured out how many a Kabillion is!!!) so that we could someday snowbird to WDW. Our winter this year was horrible and when the day comes when we retire, I don't want to drive or walk in snow and ice anymore, shovel snow, pay our high oil bills to keep warm and wear layers of clothing to keep warm.

We have a friend that works at WDW and he said that if OKW was ever converted to condos he would definitely buy one. It is a nice, quiet resort.

I have to figure out a way to do this!!!!!!

Mai Ku Tiki
07-06-2010, 06:03 AM
:goodvibes I love this thread too! Great to hear how many of us share the dream...Anyone living the dream care to share how you make it happen? How many points? Do you stay consecutive weeks or spend weekends elsewhere? Drive or rent a car? Who takes care of your 'other' house or pets? And, oh yes, for the couples out there, how to survive a STUDIO UNIT for weeks at a time without eventually throwing frying pans at each other? :rotfl2:

DVC-Don
07-06-2010, 06:16 AM
We have enough points to stay the almost the entire month of January in a one bedroom at OKW. Our plans are to do just that in January of 2012.

And, oh yes, for the couples out there, how to survive a STUDIO UNIT for weeks at a time without eventually throwing frying pans at each other? That's why there are no frying pans in the studios.

Simba's Mom
07-06-2010, 09:28 AM
We have enough points to stay the almost the entire month of January in a one bedroom at OKW. Our plans are to do just that in January of 2012.

That's why there are no frying pans in the studios.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Mai Ku Tiki
07-06-2010, 09:31 AM
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

:rotfl: