PDA

View Full Version : Just Back OKW and BCV (long)

patsal
07-02-2003, 09:01 AM
We just returned from a short 6 day trip to the world. We decided to split the stay and try out two different DVC resorts. We started in a studio at OKW for the first four nights and then a studio at BCV for the final two. Our "home" is WLV, and prior to this trip we have only stayed there. Earlllier this year we added on at BCV.
OKW was very nice, we arrived after 6pm so our room was ready. We were in building 56 room 5610. The outside of the grounds seemed very unkempt--overgrown foliage, debris on the ground. Once inside the room was larger than the rooms at WLV but since we are used to the "set-up" it seemed a bit awkward. With children it is easier for the sink to be outside of the bathroom. There is no storage around the kitchenette area (guess I'm spoiled by all those drawers and cupbaords at the WLV). The room looked very well worn, but the location was great. A very short walk to the bus stop, quiet pool and laundry. I was not impressed with housekeeping (and they really are not required to do much for me--I do put all trash into one bag and tie it up and place all towels in the tub for pick-up--While new towels were hung up the trash was not removed, nor were the dirty towels in the tub--but big surprise didn't forget to pick up the tip envelope! Why are they so "cheap" with the plasstic ware and paper plates? The quality of the products was very low--not the same stuff we get at the other DVC resorts. (white paper plates and bowls/white cutlery--knives couldn't even get peanut butter out of the jar without breaking!) These were my only disappointments. Transportation was great, the other guests were friendly and I will chalk this experience up to a poor housekeeper and I will try it again for my 2004 summer vacation (this time will be a longer trip and I will get a 1 bedroom so I don't have to worry about the plastic/paper ware!).
BCV- The kids were blown away by the pool, we enjoyed the sstay here greatly. Unfortunately it rained ratehr badly on the night we planned to do illuminations (and with only two nights there we didn't have a backup night for it). We will stay here again for the close proximity to MGM and Epcot, the pool and the lvoely accomadations. Here the kitchenette was well appointed with quality paperware and plastic utensils. We checked in at about noon planning on using the pool while we waited for our room--SURPRISE the room was ready when we checked in.
Overall the trip was great, though short. We will return to both resorts in the future. Any questions feel free to ask!

Ian.Whiteley
07-02-2003, 10:37 AM
Hi patsal,

We are going to OKW in 5 weeks, staying in a 2BR (so don't have to worry about plastic knives etc.). It's been 3 years since our last stay there and I'm a bit disappointed in your description of overgrown foliage and poor housekeeping. Our previous visits have always been great so I hope standards haven't slipped and you just had the bad luck to come across poor service (why leave a tip!).
Hope your next visit is great.:cool:

Simba's Mom
07-02-2003, 11:52 AM
What studio # did you have at BCV and what was it like (view)? Sorry to hear your studio at OKW wasn't well-kept. Lack of storage makes me wonder if it was HA?

patsal
07-02-2003, 12:11 PM
Ian, I always leave a tip, if I had known the room wouldn't be tidy I would not have left the tip of course! I did not leave a tip when I checked out, which I normally would have done as well.

Simba's Mom- it was room 5610 the view from the window was the parking lot and the view from the balcony was of the quiet pool/playground. I do not think it was HA since there was a tub--no roll in shower stall. I figure I will give the resort another try I may have just had bad luck with housekeeping on this trip, and if I get a one bedroom I will not have to worry about the paper/plastic products. Honestly, and not to offend anyone who LOVES OKW, but I really felt like it was the "low budget" DVC--no money for new linens (thread bare), towels (holes), Cabbage Patch Doll surfboard for an ironing board(half the rubber feet protectors were missing so I ironed on the bed as not to scratch the table top), poor quallity paper products, dirty bathroom floor,etc. As I said, I will try it once more--maybe in 2004--hopefully it was just a fluke.

floridafam
07-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Cabbage Patch Doll surfboard for an ironing board

That's funny.

I'm always a little dissappointed when I hear about bad room conditions. I hope it was just a fluke. When are they required to replace things like holed towels and worn carpet? I read another thread about really worn carpet at BWV, too.

PamOKW
07-02-2003, 12:25 PM
I'm confused. Were you staying on points or as a paying guest? For four nights, you would only have gotten a trash & towel on your fourth day.

I'm also confused about the paper products. In the past, they always use the same plastic and paper goods throughout the DVC resorts (and most of the counter service restaurants). The"plain white" makes me think something was amiss here. Maybe you were using "extras" some other group had left behind and had not been given your start-up allotment?

The "worn" problems are a result of your being in the newest units which are the last to be refurbished. But, refurbishment is currently making its way around OKW so things should improve by the time your are ready to give it another try. On the next trip, you should also know that you can make requests from Housekeeping. If you'd like a full size ironing board or any other appliance/implement they have on hand they are glad to provide it for you.

It's always good to hear the bad and the good. I'm sorry for your disappointments but the experience (and knowledge to ask for correction) may help the next family.

floridafam
07-02-2003, 12:36 PM
I wasn't aware that refurb was still going on. Glad to hear it.

We are also looking forward to trying OKW someday.:D

sgtdisney
07-02-2003, 12:45 PM
We were in a studio for one night during the beginning of June at OKW. We had Disney World paper plates, bowls, etc.. I wonder if they are changing that. Come to think of it we had the same kind of paperware at VB in the studio there as well.

It is too bad you had a bad experience at OKW.. I hope next time it will be better for you. Did you call housekeeping to complain about the trash left in your room?

PamOKW
07-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Just re-read about the housekeeping issue. I didn't understand on the first reading what had happened. Yes, the housekeeper made a mistake on that one. I hope you gave a call to let them know.

Pa@okw95
07-02-2003, 01:18 PM
Overgrown foilage is a common complaint for newcomers staying in a studio at OKW. Your building was on the corner of the road and the studio was on the first floor- I would say that the overgrown foilage may be to protect you from the traffic and head lights of the traffic on South Point Road. As for the plastic forks,etc, at OKW a lot of things have a way of walking out of these studios over the years, so plastic is a defense against that. I don't know about the situation with housekeeping, that appears to be somekind of mishap to me. I have had problems with housekeeping over the years, one year they knocked on the door and just handed me a bag full of towels, and other things. i was so shocked I did not react until I got home and wrote a letter about that. My thought is why leave them a tip, that is probably the most shocking thing of the whole report. i am not defending OKW, anyone that reads my threads knows I am not one to do so, but the foilage and the plastic are there for a reason.

lsyorke
07-02-2003, 03:52 PM
We just returned from OKW on Friday. Housekeeping was a little lacking- forgot to take the trash our on our TT day- but when we arrived we had towel animals for the first time so I was thrilled!
The thursday before we left ,the grounds crew was trimming bushes and trees. They were a little overgrown on our arrival. It sound like the OP arrived in the middle of the "spring" grounds maintenence. In OKW's defense it had been raining like crazy for weeks before we arrived so I'm sure they were behind schedule. I still love OKW!! We had a 2br in building 12 and it was immaculate when we arrived.

patsal
07-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Thanks, I just knew that all of you OKW regulars would reassure me that it was all just a fluke! Now I know I can give this a try in a 1 bedroom for 2004.
I didn't know I could ask for a regular ironing board--I will remember this for the next time I stay in a studio.
The confirmation I was given had a check in on June 25, T and T on June 28th and check out on June 29th--I thought that was odd as well, but when I questioned at check in they said indeed a TT on the 28th.
The paper products and cutlery situation, I thought that maybe OKW used "less expensive" stuff to help keep dues down. Everything we had was plain white not the usual paper products with the Disney design the plastic cutlery was all together with a napkin and prewrapped. We are used to the usual Disney stuff in colors and rather strong. We solved the problem by helping ourselves to the cutlery at a counter service restaurant we ate at.
High foliage to defend from light and noise--that makes sense. I was not aware that the "higher" numbers are still due for refurbishment--that too makes sense. Because we arrived back to the room so late I didn't call housekeeping to complain..I just moved them to the floor for the night since we were checking out the next day anyway. Sent "the boy child" to take out the trash, and really it was a minor inconvieninece in an otherwise wonderful vacation. I am excited to know that it is not the norm and feel better about trying to work my plans to include another stay at OKW. It really is a beautiful resort and in the few short days I was there I couldn't really enjoy all it had to offer.

Simba's Mom
07-02-2003, 08:57 PM
The high foliage also serves to protect the buildings from errant golf balls (not all the golfers at LBV are the best). We learned this sitting on our balcony last trip and hearing the golf balls hit into the trees. Imagine what dues would be like if OKW had to deal with maintenance costs next to a golf course if there were no trees! And the lawsuits from people being hit as they sit on their porch-Incoming!

PamOKW
07-02-2003, 09:12 PM
The T&T is always on the 4th day if you are staying for less than 8 nights. Some people have reported that they call housekeeping and have the day moved. It does seem silly to have T&T on the day before check-out but that's the system. If you stay more than 8 nights, they move the full cleaning to the 4th day and then do the T&T later in the trip. This helps avoid doing full cleanings close to the check-out.

Studios do have less desireable views. They are usually located on the corners of the buildings and are subject to the foliage and/or road views. I'm glad to hear you are willing to give it another try. I'm betting you will have a different experience in the one bedroom.

Now that plastic cutlery has me puzzled. It sounds like you may have been using items that another person left behind. (Extras from their take out meal, maybe). The only other explanation would be some type of shortage that had them substituting these items for the regular stuff. The items you describe at VWL and BCV are what is usally in the OKW units.

I'm curious to hear from other folks who've staed in and OKW studio lately. What kind of "fine china" and "sterling" was in the unit? Mickey or generic?

lsyorke
07-02-2003, 09:12 PM
"We learned this sitting on our balcony last trip and hearing the golf balls hit into the trees. "

I had to laugh at this. Our trip last week OKW must have been hosting a Young womens golf tournament and not one ball came near our patio. On Thursday the "regular" golfers were back and balls were a flyin'.

skelooch
07-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Well there you have it BCV is better then OKW

PamOKW
07-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Whadda ya mean? We just told you there's the possiblity of free golf balls at OKW. Can't get those at BCV. ;) ;) LOL!!

skelooch
07-02-2003, 10:18 PM
PamOKW,

About those free golf balls, please make sure they stop rolling before you pick them up.

PamOKW
07-02-2003, 10:24 PM
No Skelooch....they have golf ball trees at OKW! They grow in the grooves of the palm tree bark. Honest! I've seen them off the second floor porches. And that's another reason to request an upper floor....more golf balls "ripen" higher up. ;)

skelooch
07-02-2003, 10:29 PM
WOW Golf Ball trees, pretty cool, I'll have to play that course some time I usually lose a few a round.