PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa?

madge
07-02-2003, 08:30 AM
The Disney visa just isn't doing it for me--I keep wait and waiting for the rewards to get better and they aren't. I was checking somthing on SWA this morning and saw that they have a visa. Does anyone have it? Are they benefits good? I noticed that they offer 4 RR credites with the first purchase, which would give me enough points for a free ticket after our trip this fall :) that is, if I understand the website correctly....I need 8 points or 4 round trips (as long as I book online). After October, I'll have 2 RT which equal 4 points and with the 4 points from the SWA visa I should have enough, right?

am I on the right track here?

thanks!

Lewisc
07-02-2003, 09:16 AM
Not 100% correct. You need 16 points to get a RR ticket. Two R/T (booked online) give you 8 points and the Visa gets you 4. You still need another 4 points.

SW RR doesn't aggregate familes. The same person needs to have taken the 2 R/T. In other words you and your spouse need to have separate RR accounts.

If you charge a lot the VISA card is a great way to get RR tickets.

prncess674
07-02-2003, 10:33 AM
I have the SWA Visa and I like it because the fee is low. Only $35 a year. I use SWA for pleasure travel and some for business. So my combination of flying and charging really pays off. You will receive one RR credit for each $1,200 dollars that you spend. Not including any bonus offers such as the 4RR for opening an account and using it once.

The other thing you may consider is selling the RR Ticket. I sell mine on ebay for $300 a piece. I can buy a cheaper ticket with my profits and have money left over for most places I want to travel. For example I can purchase a ticket from SWA going New Orleans to Orlando for under $200. Since I sold the ticket I have a $100 left over. Also since I am not flying on the free ticket I earn more RR credits. This may sound a bit confusing but it works.

madge
07-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Not 100% correct. You need 16 points to get a RR ticket. Two R/T (booked online) give you 8 points and the Visa gets you 4. You still need another 4 points.

this is where I go confused--you get double RR credits for booking online, which I did. I have 2 RT planned before the end of October, which gives me 8 points, plus the points for using the points for using the card. I have 12 points, then...one more RT after than I will earn a trip. got it! thanks! :)

Aubrey
07-03-2003, 08:24 PM
I have the SWA Visa and since we charge EVERYTHING we possibly can and pay the bill entirely every month, the points add up fairly quickly. I used to have the free ToysRUs Gold Visa with its 1% back in ToysRUs certificates but this is a better dollar for dollar value even with the fee. Our fee is higher than $35 because we took the Platinum card in order to get rental car insurance waivers.

By the way, it is technically not legal to sell the vouchers.

Pinnie
07-03-2003, 09:26 PM
I have switched over from my NWA VISA to the SWA one because the benefits are better.

I got 4 credits for opening the account and another 5 for transfering the balance. Add that to the 3 R/Ts I had on SWA over the last couple of months and I am the proud owner of a SWA RR Ticket that is good for ONE calendar year!

pin

leslieh
07-03-2003, 09:38 PM
We've used SW visa for years now, we pay college tuition and everything else (we pay it off in full monthly) we have earned more tickets than I can remember. At least 10-12. We even flew a cheap rt with bonus rewards to earn three more rt tickets. It costs of $300.00 to earn three r/t coast to coast. We also use MCI which gives you rewards for every 50.00 in long distance you earn a point. Last may we flew to Las Vegas on 4 free rt courtesy of Southwest.