PDA

View Full Version : HH Advice


dodge93
07-01-2003, 09:58 AM
If the contract goes through, we will have a nice 330 points at HH with an August date. $67/pt, nothing banked, nothing borrowed.

Figuring I can make reservations beginning 2nd week of August, who can answer the following:

1) Will it be impossible to get a 2BR and a Studio in October with such short notice?

2) If not imposiible, any room location suggestions for both types? I don't care if they are next to each other.

3) Is the weather nice during Halloween in Hilton Head and is the Big Dipper, Little Dipper and beach house pool heated?

Thanks to all who have helped us make the plunge with by offering great advice.

Tom

WebmasterDoc
07-01-2003, 10:07 AM
October reservations shouldn't be too tough to find (except for possibly the studio).

There are only 21 studios. 16 are in the lodge and the other 5 are under the GV's in building 16,18,19,28 or 30. Those buildings also have 2BR villas.

The pools are all heated. Late October weather can still be very pleasant- although the ocean may have cooled off a lot by then. Overnight temps may be in the upper 50's- low 60's by then and daytime temps will range from low 70's to low 80's.

There will still be lots of activities available for everyone. Good luck with your resale (be sure to let us know when it goes thru) and Have a great trip! :)

Welcome Home!!

dodge93
07-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Thank you

Don't know if this is legal or kosher.

Could I make a reservation today on a credit card for those rooms and then cancel and convert to DVC points when our contract goes through?

TnRobin
07-01-2003, 10:35 AM
The only problem with your suggestion is that the inventory of rooms used for DVC reservations and the inventory used for Cash reservations are not necessarily the same. You may find a Cash room available at that time, but not a DVC room. Also if there were a room available on both, a person on a waitlist for a studio would get it first before you when you cancelled the cash room.

Dean
07-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by dodge93
Thank you

Don't know if this is legal or kosher.

Could I make a reservation today on a credit card for those rooms and then cancel and convert to DVC points when our contract goes through? That wouldn't help you as they won't convert cash rooms to points. They are totally separate inventory. You could also do an exchange to another timeshare. At less than 60 days, you could even trade studio points for a 2 BR at a Marriott. Or you could rent out the points and pay cash or rent from an individual. Good luck.

luckytso
07-01-2003, 06:37 PM
At less than 60 days, you could even trade studio points for a 2 BR at a Marriott

Dean, is this something new with DVC? Are you saying that I can call DVC and convert points to request a 2-br Marriott using the points required for a studio and pay the $95 fee, if the check-in date is within 60 days? That sounds great!!!!

Dean
07-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by luckytso
Dean, is this something new with DVC? Are you saying that I can call DVC and convert points to request a 2-br Marriott using the points required for a studio and pay the $95 fee, if the check-in date is within 60 days? That sounds great!!!! That is correct. The fee is $75 though. Right now there is a Barony 2 BR for 3 Oct and 24 & 26 Oct.

luckytso
07-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Dean, thanks for the response. How would you know what is available? Are these the getaways or they are somewhere on DVC's website? Also, October is more than 60 days out.....

I just checked the DVC site and there is no mention of how many points it would take to exchange a studio. I guess I will call MS tomorrow to get the details. This is great news!!!!

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.:D

Dean
07-02-2003, 06:28 AM
I am a member of II directly and can look at their system to see what's available in most situaitons. I forget the exact points charge for studios but it is something like 20% less than the 1 BR.

luckytso
07-02-2003, 07:02 AM
Dean, thanks

However, just out of curiosity, how would you know if a DVC studio can pull this particular week at Barony Beach? Do you have a deposit with II already? I am in the process of buying a Marriott resale and will soon be an II member. Thanks again.:D

Dean
07-02-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by luckytso
Dean, thanks

However, just out of curiosity, how would you know if a DVC studio can pull this particular week at Barony Beach? Do you have a deposit with II already? I am in the process of buying a Marriott resale and will soon be an II member. Thanks again.:D With II, once inside the 60 day window, most restrictions are off in trading. No more unit size restrictions and little (but some) resort quality and trade powere restrictions. Trust me, if there's a Marriott there that fits and it's open to the general II population, this can be gotten with a DVC studio. No whether it will be there when the 2 month window comes, we'll see. Make sure you are looking at exactly when the window opens if you can.

luckytso
07-02-2003, 05:14 PM
Dean, I called MS today and was very encouraged with the response. Everything was what you said. In addition, MS told me that they have pulled Westin St. Johns many times (including the 3-br units) and Four Seasons resorrts. The only one that I asked that they said they don't have is Harborside because in 2 years, there was only 1 match so they took it off the list.

If I can use 375 pts (I think) to get Westin St. John's 3-br or 270 pts for the Four Seasons, I would consider the trade one of these days. Thanks.:D

Dean
07-02-2003, 07:05 PM
Glad to help. Be careful though. When MS says they have pulled sought after resrots, that does not mean they get them during desired times. Don't be too optimistic that you can get what you want, when you want to go unless it's off season as Oct is in HH.

luckytso
07-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Dean, thanks for the advice. The good part is that I can always do a request first. If it does not come through, I have nothing to lose, even if it does, I still have 48 hours to decide. It is a great option!!!

Dean
07-02-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by luckytso
Dean, thanks for the advice. The good part is that I can always do a request first. If it does not come through, I have nothing to lose, even if it does, I still have 48 hours to decide. It is a great option!!! True, but that won't work for the flexchange options. You can do request first up to TWO years out and they'll call you and you can say yes or no. To my knowledge, DVC is the only group in II where they get a day or 2 to check air fare and the like before they say yes or no to an exchange. Other than some internal trading like Marriott, they're the only ones that I'm away of that can do request first beyond the date of what they're giving up. That's not to say that some of the other points systems don't offer some of these options but I'l not aware of any that do.

luckytso
07-02-2003, 08:31 PM
I am looking forward to closing on my Marriott resale so that I can see II's flexchange availabilities. Hopefully I will be able to find things that will fit our schedules and then call MS to book it. Otherwise, I will seriously consider to trade them to II by using request first for very sought after resorts at very popular times. If if does not come through, as long as I have a back up plan, I have nothing to lose.

I used to think that I will NEVER trade my DVC points for II, but now I think some resorts for some weeks are worth the points. I love the request first option that DVC provides.:p