PDA

View Full Version : Drive to the parks or DVC bus?

joepoe
07-01-2003, 08:19 AM
Thought I would post a poll to see how it breaks down. We are "bus" people ourselves, even if we have a car. I think the time it takes to walk to your car, drive, park, wait for and take a tram, and then maybe a monorail on top of that provides little or no advatntage to the bus system, especially when we are beat at the end of the day. We let the "chauffer" drive, or take the boats to MGM, or walk to Epcot when at BWV.

sheryl0521
07-01-2003, 08:24 AM
We always use the quickest WDW transportation to the major parks, but we like to drive to the water parks & DTD. Smaller parking lots and quicker escape at the end of the day!

jaysue
07-01-2003, 11:40 AM
Bus most of the time, sometimes we take a car (if we have one) to Animal Kingdom or the water parks especially if we just miss the bus

Thanks
jaysue

KNWVIKING
07-01-2003, 12:11 PM
MK is the only park I'll take bus to (or boat if we're at VWL) because it drops right out front- no tram car to TTC, TTC boat or mono to the park.

ryley26
07-01-2003, 12:15 PM
we always bus but bought at bcv so we could walk too no transport required:D

DebbieB
07-01-2003, 12:35 PM
When we stay at OKW, we mostly drive, the only exception is to MK at night when we expect big crowds to leave at the same time (after Spectro & fireworks), it's easier to just hop the bus. At BWV, we use the boat or walk to Epcot & MGM, sometimes bus to MK, always drive to AK & DD.

RumpleMom
07-01-2003, 03:24 PM
We always use the bus. DH considers it a perk to not have to drive on vacation.

Maistre Gracey
07-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Well, I voted 'never bus'. This was the closest answer, as the only occasion we take the bus is for those long, late Pleasure Island nights. :cool:

PS- That does not mean I drive all the time. I also use boats, and monorails. :cool:

luckytso
07-01-2003, 04:40 PM
we use the bus sometimes to go to MK. but we are leaning toward more and more just using our car. it is much faster especially with 2 strollers.

Granny
07-01-2003, 04:51 PM
We use Disney transportation (bus, boat, monorail) for the most part. We use our feet to go to Epcot and MGM when we stay at BWV. :p

We might drive to AK next year from BWV since we had a bad experience the last time we made that trip (well over an hour from start to finish). But then again, we even enjoy waiting at the bus stops and talking to other guests....so we'll probably wait again. :)

Dean
07-01-2003, 05:46 PM
The real question is whether those that have access to a car drive or use the bus. Many use the bus because they don't have a car or to save the extra expense.

Regina
07-01-2003, 06:12 PM
The real question is whether those that have access to a car drive or use the bus. Many use the bus because they don't have a car or to save the extra expense.

It's not a question of expense for us. We always use a towncar service so a rental car wouldn't be that much more. Even when we do have a need for a car (heading to Port Canaveral or visiting relatives), we never use it for park visits. Driving is one less "real world" hassle that we want to deal with while on vacation.

jaysue
07-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Another reason why we use the bus most of the time is that it helps build a sense of community for my older DS (3 1/2) so he can chat to people and see other people travelling to the same place

Thanks
jaysue

CaptainMidnight
07-01-2003, 06:54 PM
We like using the Disney transportation options like busses and boats.

anniet
07-01-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Maistre Gracey
Well, I voted 'never bus'. This was the closest answer, as the only occasion we take the bus is for those long, late Pleasure Island nights. :cool:

Long and Late my Aunt Fannie.....don't you mean "drunken" Pleasure Island nites?

I hear you like to play drinking games with the Colonel.

We drive except for those "long and late" Pleasure Island nites too. Just don't ask us where we park.;)

Maistre Gracey
07-01-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by anniet
Long and Late my Aunt Fannie.....don't you mean "drunken" Pleasure Island nites?

I hear you like to play drinking games with the Colonel.

We drive except for those "long and late" Pleasure Island nites too. Just don't ask us where we park.;)
Toooo funny!!!! :teeth:

jodifla
07-01-2003, 08:34 PM
We take our care almost everywhere, except the MK, where there's no advantage since you have to go to the TTC anyway. It's so much easier to tote all the baby gear in your car. But mainly, I hate waiting for buses. BWV is the worst for that.

luckytso
07-01-2003, 09:15 PM
jodiefla, that was exactly what happened last time. We used to take the buses all the time until our last Feb. trip when we stayed at BWV. With 2 strollers, by the time the bus came, it was completely packed with no seats. I have to carry my younger one and asked my older one (4yo) to stand next to me while DH held 2 strollers, a diaper bag and everthing else. That was the last time we rode the bus. We started driving to the parks.

We tried the MK bus again last May while we stayed at Swan. However, with the # of stops the bus had (Swan, Dolphin, YC, BC, and then BWV), it took much longer to get to MK than parking at TTC and then take the ferry. So that was the absolute last time we took the bus.

We used to take the bus all the time. To me, it is like trying out the 2-br, I no longer want to stay in a studio, once we started renting a car and driving around WDW, we don't want to take the bus anymore.

skelooch
07-01-2003, 09:56 PM
I vote for using the car, especially if you have small children and/or strollers. Waiting for the bus isn't much fun and Buses can be standing room only at times, with kids and strollers it can be real drag. I'd be willing to bet you'll get back to your resort faster by car and much more comfortablly.

Richyams
07-01-2003, 10:15 PM
I just don't understand bus people. I find the car so much easier, so much more convinient, so much more flexible. Stopping at the store, heading to this resort for dinner, that one for breakfast, valet at the GF, breakfast there and spend the day in MK. Park in Epcot early, monorail to the MK, stop for dinner at a monorail resort, head back to Epcot, spend the evenng there and drive back home.

I just could not be bothered waiting for a bus, standing, or worse yet, being guilted into giving my seat for a preggo or a blue hair.

Uncleromulus
07-02-2003, 06:00 AM
We use our car to go everywhere.
Not any sort of knock on the bus system--just that a car provides so much more flexibility getting to shopping, restaurants, pools, miniature golf, etc. Plus, when we do leave a park, it's so much easier getting to these other spots w/o spending lots of time on (and waiting for) a bus.

Lexxiefern
07-02-2003, 06:18 AM
The only time we use the bus is to MK. So far no problems with that. We'll see on our next trip (BWV). We have found it much easier with a stroller to drive. We also had one of those awful bus rides where I was holding a baby, backpack and stroller on a standing only bus (that was on a bus from MK to MGM - we'll never do that again!)

JimC
07-02-2003, 06:20 AM
We have visited WDW three times with car on property. All three times we used the WDW transportation system and left the car sit. I enjoyed not driving, especially after a long day at the parks. And we like to hop around the property and not having to get back to the beginning to find a car was a plus.

We have however, driven to the parks when we have stayed off site twice. But those were unusual situations.

Most of our trips are without a car. We find the WDW transportation system to run very well, particularly if you understand how mass transit systems function.

Pa@okw95
07-02-2003, 06:21 AM
The bus service is an insult down there. I always take my car. Only when I have guests do I use the bus to go to MK only, still drive to other spots, unless I have more than 3 guests, then we have to suffer with the buses.

DVC-Don
07-02-2003, 07:13 AM
We only take the MK bus. Drive everywhere else.

mmmcq
07-02-2003, 07:14 AM
I voted "never" to using the bus, but on a 5-7 day trip we may only drive to AK, DisneyQuest/Pleasure Island or MK for "e" night so we can sprint "home" at 12am. We always use the car once for groceries or a run to the drugstore when someone's sick. We like walking thru Epcot in the am from BCV or BW to the mono rail to MK and of course we take the boat to MGM. We find these transportation modes relaxing - not harried. And I fibbed....we do take the bus when we go to "Hoop De Doo".

Last year we had a dinner at CG that lasted 3 hours (we were seated at least an hour after our PS) and we missed the last MR and had to take a cab. We wished we had driven our car over there because our toddler expired! (BTW - The dinner was fantastic because our waiter made it special to make up for our wait.)

I think our general dislike of the bus system stems from the one trip when we didn't have a car and had to take the bus with two toddlers from CB. It seemed like we were on the busses forever and were always waiting, waiting and/or waiting. I guess I've never gotten over it! And we have so many credits/points from reward programs that we usually are able to get "free" or reduced rates on cars. On a recent trip to visit family out west, however, our "free" car cost us over $150 in taxes alone!

mmmcq
07-02-2003, 07:26 AM
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=398111

FYI

The thread above has a discussion along the same lines...the long waits from BW, etc.

crisi
07-02-2003, 07:33 AM
Bus.

This trip I expect to liberally augment the bus with taxis. We'll be travelling with two older ladies and they can't stand on the BWV bus.

I don't like to drive. I don't like to rent cars. It isn't the cost, its the hassle - especially in Orlando where I have had the worst rental experiences (have had great stroll to your car and pick it up experiences in other airports. In Orlando, I discover the car I'm suppose to pick up isn't there, or is the wrong size, or they are out of carseats, or I get back and they charge me for the ding that was there when I picked up the car).

Goingtodisneyworld
07-02-2003, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the great poll, voted never bus ~ We have stayed onsite twice (ASM & OKW) since DD and have always drove because at these resorts our only option was bus & I couldn’t imagine waiting for bus, folding up stroller (it is one of those full size ones & does fold down, but not very small!) to get on the bus along w/diaper bag, camera bag, & everything else I always seem to think we will need, only to get off bus & do the whole thing over again for tram, excluding the fact the bus could be too full for all this, &/or subjecting innocent guests to our load!!! We will be returning this Dec. w/DD (will be 2 ˝), and new baby due Aug. 7, our usual load & this time a small (ha! ha!) Double Stroller, so I thought of choosing a home w/ walking or boat access to some of the parks, however we do love OKW & I never realized the bus to MK skipped the parking tram, boat/mono (just more great advice from this board)! Any more advice/info/experiences on moving between resort & parks with small children & DH w/his hands full, you could share would be greatly appreciated? Happy Wednesday ~ Christine :D

crisi
07-02-2003, 08:53 AM
Christine,

Post over to the family board and you'll get lots of advice on moving around the parks with children.

I'm not the best person to give you advice, as mine is rent the stroller so you don't need to deal with it on the bus, throw three diapers and six wipes in a ziploc bag into a fanny pack along with the smallest camera sold and two packs of fruit snacks, and go. You don't sound like that kind of traveller.

Goingtodisneyworld
07-02-2003, 12:52 PM
Crisi,
You are my hero! I really do want to just rent a stroller someday, however our first 2 trips DD was just so small & still was able to complete at least 2hr. naps in her own comfy stroller, we also were able to stay until closing at annual wine & food fest both yrs w/her asleep for the night. Thanks for the family board advice however I really do think my answer is right here ~ stay w/the car until I am able to travel like you!!

catsfan
07-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Is it just me, or is Richyams' response a little offensive. Not wanting to be guilted into giving up your seat for a 'preggo' or 'blue hair'? Don't get me wrong, you are entitled to your opinion and to your seat, but for goodness' sake, show a little respect!!!

(If you were just joking about those terms, pardon my sensitivity.)

Dean
07-02-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by catsfan
Is it just me, or is Richyams' response a little offensive. Not wanting to be guilted into giving up your seat for a 'preggo' or 'blue hair'? Don't get me wrong, you are entitled to your opinion and to your seat, but for goodness' sake, show a little respect!!!

(If you were just joking about those terms, pardon my sensitivity.) You have to know and get used to Rich. He is one of those people that will says things just to get a rise and you never know whether he's being honest or just pushing your buttons. Don't take him too seriously and all should be fine.

DeeP
07-02-2003, 05:39 PM
You have to know and get used to Rich. He is one of those people that will says things just to get a rise and you never know whether he's being honest or just pushing your buttons. Don't take him too seriously and all should be fine.
When someone makes discriminatory and prejudiced statements regarding others their true feelings are being told regardless of whether they try to poo poo it off as humor. People that do not feel prejudice towards others would not even think thoughts like this let alone say/post them. People that are not prejudiced and dicriminatory do not find humor in statements like this, they find them rude and offensive! When others just dismiss these types of statements by saying it is only "humor" or "pushing buttons" are condoning and feeding the prejudice and dicrimination by just standing by and saying nothing!
It is very sad that after all that has happened in the world especially in the past few years, that someone could be so rude, shallow and prejudiced. Statements such as these would never be tolerated in the real world or in the work place, why they are on these boards has always amazed me. Frankly the statements referred to in this thread were some of the milder discriminatory and prejudiced statements I have read on these boards, I have read some posts on the debate board that were down right disgusting. I will never "get used to", nor do I want to "get used to" rude and prejudiced behavior or statements.
If someone posts a thread regarding room occupancy limits the thread is immediately closed, yet statements reflecting prejudice or containing discriminatory and offensive comments are allowed to remain! :confused:
Hello, moderators, there is something very wrong with this picture.

Richyams
07-02-2003, 05:49 PM
Lets get this thread closed.

I think the problems with the world are mostly due to tight a people who take themselves too seriously. See themselves as above others and look to others for that justification. I see it as a personality defect. Something that needs to be worked on.

By the way, my wife was a preggo once and I am looking forward to spending many blue hair years with her.

Get a life.

mmmcq
07-02-2003, 06:35 PM
We don't need to close the thread. The discussion about busses and cars was interesting for some of us.

Richyams
07-02-2003, 06:43 PM
I agree completely, THe only time I have been on a WDW bus is in Ft Wilderness. You have to park and then bus to the Hoop Dee Doo.....I gues my distaste for busses doesn't run that deep. I could have parked at the MK and taken the boat the Pioneer Hall. I really don't have a problem with riding the busses, except for the aforementioned giving up your seat scenerios, I just prefer the freedom the car provides.

I don't even think the waits are that big of a deal. Its really the freedom and options the car offers. Changing plans, hitting Ohana's or any resort restaruant for breakfast or dinner on a whim is just not possible confined to a bus.

MiaSRN62
07-02-2003, 07:10 PM
I voted "sometimes" and this is mainly for the MK. We like to avoid the whole TTC thing. We've used the busses on a few occassions to Epcot and MGM also. But we find we can get into every park with much more ease, speed & convenience using our own car. I do like the boats though. We've used the boat from the Boardwalk area to MGM, the boat from OKW to DD and the boat from the WL to MK.

TnRobin
07-02-2003, 07:19 PM
And Now we return to our CIVIL discussion on Buses vs Cars.

AvonWuzzer
07-02-2003, 08:29 PM
I only stayed at OKW once and the bus that went through the resort was terrible. It was during a slow season and after waiting 25 minutes with some other folks we gave up. When your car is right near your villa door, it makes a lot of sense. At BWV we take the bus to MK and AK and drive to DD or other resorts for meals. I will admit that sometimes we stop at a MK resort for a meal and then take the monorail into the parks. They seem to be more particular regarding the security station stop at the resorts post 9/11 though.

mmmcq
07-02-2003, 08:41 PM
We were there last August for 6 days and I don't remember going through one....or do you mean being checked at the gates/turnstiles?

jekjones1558
07-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Just one more vote for bus to MK and cars otherwise. We have on occasion, during busy times, driven to a park early and parked up close, then taken a bus back for a swim/nap, then bused back for the evening, then driven home (fast when you're dog tired). Like MiaSRN62 we avoid TTC.

jaysue
07-02-2003, 09:13 PM
To be honest, I find the buses and monorail pretty darn flexible and easy to use and get around

For example we were at TL, DS wanted to go to MK and I wanted to get back to OKW. Since it was a trip for DS, we popped onto the bus to WL and then grabbed a bus to the TTC and then the ferry to MK - he thought it was great and funny that we as he put it "we bus hopped, Daddy!"

Then we took the Monorail to Epcot, experienced some attractions, walked out of WS to BCV and grabbed a bus to DTD and the eventually got back to OKW on a bus

Nothing against car people, but while I am on vacation, I want to drive as little as possible.....and Disney makes it quite easy to take the bus and monorail

Half the fun is getting there to us

Thanks
jaysue

DeeP
07-02-2003, 09:25 PM
I agree. It is amazing how creative you can get when navigating around WDW. Where else can you ride a monorail, bus, several different types of boats, a train & horse drawn trolly(the last 2 in MK), all in one day?

skelooch
07-02-2003, 09:39 PM
Jaysue, I'm glad you had good luck with the buses but it sounds like you spent and awful lot of time on the bus or waiting for one.

Time is precious when your on vacation.

MiaSRN62
07-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Time is precious when your on vacation.
Now this is my perspective exactly. There are so many other ways I'd prefer to spend my time than riding on (or waiting for) WDW transportation. Sometimes it's good (monorail and boats I enjoy), but generally the bus service is what I find lacking. I can't tell you how many times we've driven out of Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach (i.e.) and passed the same people we exited the park with still standing at the bus stop with no bus in sight and long lines forming.......
At times, I am quite certain we are back at our resort before they've even set foot on the bus.
The busses aren't for me, but it is nice that so many enjoy and are satisfied with the Disney transportation......there's something for everyone :D

mmmcq
07-02-2003, 10:37 PM
"It is amazing how creative you can get when navigating around WDW. Where else can you ride a monorail, bus, several different types of boats, a train & horse drawn trolly(the last 2 in MK), all in one day? "

This was what I was getting at originally in my first post. We love the meandering to and from the monorail and boats. Truth be told, my 3yr old probably enjoys the transportation to and from our hotels and in the parks more than she enjoys the parks themselves!

But the car does come in very handy most days. We are spoiled and can't live without it. I think if we didn't get great deals on them, however, we wouldn't rent them. I couldn't see paying an arm and a leg for a vehicle that would spend most days sitting in a parking lot waiting for us.

Granny
07-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Looks like the numbers are holding pretty consistently. About 60% of the people use the Disney transportation system all or most of the time.

Just a guess, but I bet the numbers would change if you broke them out by home resorts. I just get this feeling that the OKW folks like to use their cars on site more than others? But maybe that perception is driven by just a few.

Nice poll and interaction. :)

jaysue
07-03-2003, 03:29 AM
Granny, I agree, given the location of OKW, ease of access to car and the spread out nature of the design, I am fairly sure that more people there drive relative to the other WDW DVC resorts.

skelooch, during our two trips this year, the only time we waited more than 10 minutes was during a major downpour at the Disney-MGM Studios and waiting to get back to OKW. Traffic was pretty slow and I do not think transportation was prepared for a flash mid-May afternoon significant rain storm. In that case, we waited just over 20 minutes. While we waited, DS and I had a puddle jumping contest....

On an average day, would say we spent about 1.25 to 1.5 hours on the buses/monorails (except of course when DS and I sat in the front of the monorail and went around the resort loop twice in a row at night). when we went to DTD, tack on another 30-45 minutes.

Sure the car is faster (except to MK) - no doubt about that but since we are early risers and can handle the parks all day, I never feel like we have a time issue to deal with. I will also be the first to say, if we we have a car and we just missed the bus to where we are going, we will (and have) hop in the car rather than wait for the next bus

As I stated before, a big part to me is for my DS to see that he is part of a community of people and the WDW transportation system let's him see that in a way that is not possible where we live

thanks
jaysue

anniet
07-03-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by jaysue

I must admit that some of my most memorable experiences have been on WDW buses. While we usually take the car to parks, on those occasions where we have been on WDW buses I have had some of the biggest belly laughs thanks to not only the bus driver but the passengers as well. I think Jaysue's last line says it well. Often there is a sense of community on those buses, and DBF and I have often given our seats over to parents carrying toddlers and they seem soooo grateful when we do.

The timing may stink on the buses, but once on-- the experience, imho, has never been a horrible one.

luckytso
07-03-2003, 05:55 AM
Often there is a sense of community on those buses, and DBF and I have often given our seats over to parents carrying toddlers and they seem soooo grateful when we do.

Annie, good for you!!!! I wish there are more people like you on the bus. That is why people are so grateful, because many people don't.

crisi
07-03-2003, 07:35 AM
I agree with jaysue. I've always gotten to the park using the bus by park opening, and waiting at the bus stop or waiting by the turnstyle is one in the same to us. On occation, we've had longer waits, but never when we were in a hurry. We also do the flex thing - having watched the bus to Epcot at WL pull away while we were walking to the stop, we took the bus pulling in to the TTC and the monorail over. Takes a little longer than catching an immediate bus, but less time than waiting for the next bus. And, my last airport car rental experience took over two hours - that's a lot of waiting for buses. (I can assure everyone that any Disney bus stop is more pleasant waiting experience than the the garage Budget uses for pick up.)

The kids LOVE the buses, to them they are another attraction (along with the monorails and the boats). We don't take buses at home, so the kids think its a real treat to take buses all week.

But I travel differently than a lot of people. The inconvience of a Disney bus is a cakewalk compared to trains in Ireland or Italy, buses in Thailand, air travel in the former Soviet Union (oh, sorry, plane isn't leaving today, come back tomorrow, it might leave tomorrow, all communicated in some mix of my bad Russian and their bad English). I've never had to sleep at a Disney stop, or walk eight miles up the mountain to get to my destination once the Disney bus drops me off.

dianeschlicht
07-03-2003, 07:47 AM
I agree with Granny that which resort you stay at might determine if you take the bus or not, but my take on it is a little different. I think I would (as I do) always take the bus from OKW, but would be less inclined to do so from some of the other resorts. I thought bus service was bad at WL, and it doesn't sound great from BWV and BCV either. We usualy take the bus to the parks from OKW, but always drive to a different resort for dinner ressies etc. We also drive or walk to DTD or take the boat since it is so close to OKW and the bus takes a lot of stops around DTD.

The few times we have had some of us driving to a park and some busing, we have had the bus folks get back to the villa sooner than the car folks.