PDA

View Full Version : Just back from first DVC trip at BWV 1BR!

jennymouse
07-01-2003, 08:14 AM
We stayed at the Poly for the first two nights and although there is much to be said for that monorail, the Poly didn't draw me in and make me want to stay at the resort the way AKL did for me in October. I liked it and would stay again, but I prefer AKL.

We absolutely loved the BWV 1BR. Received lots of "Welcome Homes." The room, #5093, was in good shape with the exception of a broken door on the LR TV stand/entertainment center thingie and some peeling paint on the bottom of the bathroom mirror. I had requested a smoking room close to the elevator and received niether, but I was told to call and request an ashtray and we enjoyed our quiet pool/canal view. The walk wasn't far at all.

Although we didn't see any streetmosphere going on on the Boardwalk they were getting everything ready for the July activities. A large bandstand area was being set up in the grassy area in front of the porch. We ate at the Boardwalk Bakery a couple mornings for breakfast and at the Flying Fish for dinner one night. Both were delish!

I have to say, we felt the bus transportation from here was the worst of any resort, from value to deluxe, that we have stayed. We arrived at the bus stop at 7:15 to go to AK EE, some folks had been there since 7:00, and a bus finally arrived at 7:55 but couldn't hold all of us. At that point we wouldn't have been able to make it to EE on time so we went to Epcot instead. We had lengthy waits the rest of the trip as well. Also, the 5 stops (Swan, Dolphin, Y/C, B/C, BW) was way too many and takes way too long. I had always been a big fan of WDW bus transportation until our experience here. The boats were slow, but enjoyable. We'll consider renting a car in the future.

I did get over to visit my "home resort" BCV one night and I loved that area equally. We ate at Cape May Cafe for dinner and ended up getting a beautiful pastel done of my DGD8. I can't wait to stay at my home resort soon! If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Look for my trip report soon for a Zip a dee doo dah tip on places NOT to put moleskin and how it can cause you to have to use a ECV for the remainder of your trip.:rolleyes: :eek: :o

Granny
07-01-2003, 09:03 AM
Jenifer.....glad to hear that you had a great trip!

We had mixed results from taking the bus at BWV last year. We had some short waits, but one very long one like you described. It was also for AK...we vowed to drive there the next time we wanted to go to AK from BWV. Bus to MK was never a problem!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your recent trip. :)

joepoe
07-01-2003, 09:14 AM
There are no stops on the way to the parks, which is great, but all the stops on the way back home to BWV drive me nuts. I try to get DW to get off at the Swan (the first stop) and then walk across the bridge to BWV, but it never works.

TedL
07-01-2003, 09:36 AM
So they let you smoke in a non-smoking room?

travelbug
07-01-2003, 09:45 AM
Glad to hear you had a great stay at BWV. It's interesting what you mentioned about the bus for AK EE morning. When we stayed at BWV for a week, we took the buses everywhere that week. The only problem we had was also for AK EE morning. The bus didn't arrive until just a few minutes before EE was to start. The only reason we were given was "oh, we're running late this morning." Gee, kind of defeats the whole idea of EE if you can't get there. :rolleyes: Other than that, the buses to and from BWV worked fine for us.

I'll look for your trip report soon and the moleskin story. ;)

nisiemouse
07-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Jenifer,
Glad you had a great trip home! I can't wait to read your trip report!:D
Denise

Lexxiefern
07-01-2003, 10:41 AM
I had been warned about the buses at BW before we went in January. We didn't have any problems catching the bus, no waits (although we had a car and only used the bus for MK) We did just what Joepoe tried to do - got off at the Swan and walked over to the BW. It was a very short walk and we had babies/toddlers that were sick of the bus.

Thanks for the report and glad you had a good time!!

jennymouse
07-01-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by TedL
So they let you smoke in a non-smoking room?

Yes, they sure did! They were out of smoking rooms and told me to just call housekeeping and have them bring an ashtray which is what I did. Smoked on my balcony too.

We almost got off at Swan/Dolphin a couple times but DGD8 was usually asleep going home at night so we just rode it out. I just think that's way too many stops though. But, heck, that's the only thing bad I have to say about the Epcot area. I think I can manage! Really, I can't tell you how much I loved it there....but, you already know, don't you.;)

KyMattDisney
07-01-2003, 11:54 AM
We will also be enjoying our first DVC visit at BWVs next week. We are doing the first 2 nights at AKL and then over to BWVs for 5 nights.....

We are planning on doing AK while staying at AKL to avoid the long rides...

Did you walk to Epcot and MGM...how long was this?

Did you have a standard or preferred view? Could you see the fireworks from your balcony?

Thanks

jennymouse
07-01-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by KyMattDisney
We will also be enjoying our first DVC visit at BWVs next week. We are doing the first 2 nights at AKL and then over to BWVs for 5 nights.....

We are planning on doing AK while staying at AKL to avoid the long rides...

Did you walk to Epcot and MGM...how long was this?

Did you have a standard or preferred view? Could you see the fireworks from your balcony?

Thanks

You'll love AKL too! And that's a great idea to go to AK while staying there.

We were walking to Epcot until the moleskin thing happened, after that we took the boat.;) The walk wasn't bad at all, took maybe 7 minutes. We took the boat to MGM.

We had a preferred view of the quiet pool/canal and I didn't see the fireworks from Illuminations or Fantasmic from there.

paults
07-01-2003, 05:48 PM
this past May when we needed a bus we walked over to MGM and caught the AKL bus there. Its like having your own bus center close to BWV

DeeP
07-01-2003, 08:02 PM
Yes, they sure did! They were out of smoking rooms and told me to just call housekeeping and have them bring an ashtray which is what I did. Smoked on my balcony too.
Oh boy, this should be interesting...........
I know that Disney does indeed tell guests to smoke in non smoking rooms when a smoking room is not available but this topic is like lighting a stick of dynamite on this board!

Eeyore2U
07-01-2003, 08:24 PM
Jenny,

Welcome home!!!!;)

Glad you had a great a trip. I've been following your posts through out the DIS today. We've had only one or two problems with the busses at BWV and it was more then an hour wait for DTD. Glad you had a good time!

DVCindy
07-01-2003, 09:35 PM
Hi Jenny -

Glad you had a nice trip !

I think we could have been neighbors at BWV ... what dates were you there? We were in 5094 across the hall from 6/21 through 6/28 !

We also had a gorgeous pastel portrait done of my 2 dd's at the Beach Club. Did you have yours done by the artist named Echo ?She did a fantastic job ... what a talented woman !

;) Cindy

jennymouse
07-02-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by DVCindy
Hi Jenny -

Glad you had a nice trip !

I think we could have been neighbors at BWV ... what dates were you there? We were in 5094 across the hall from 6/21 through 6/28 !

We also had a gorgeous pastel portrait done of my 2 dd's at the Beach Club. Did you have yours done by the artist named Echo ?She did a fantastic job ... what a talented woman !

;) Cindy

Yes to both! We were in 5093 from 6/22-6/27! I don't think I ever saw anyone coming or going out of any of the other rooms. Very quiet. And yes, Echo was the one who did my DGD's portrait. She certainly captured her...especially in the eyes.

jennymouse
07-02-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Eeyore2U
Jenny,

Welcome home!!!!;)

Glad you had a great a trip. I've been following your posts through out the DIS today. We've had only one or two problems with the busses at BWV and it was more then an hour wait for DTD. Glad you had a good time!

Hey, Mitch! I guess I just need to learn how to work the transportation system in that area. After our experiences, I didn't trust the bus and took a taxi to DTD to see Cirque & to The Contemporary for California Grill PS.

TnRobin
07-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Okay folks - ENOUGH. I have removed the slams. This thread will return to a civilized discussion. No more discussing the smoking issue.

Please feel free to take the smoking discussion to the debate board.

BCV23
07-08-2003, 08:58 AM
Well, I found it Jenny. Your thread must have become interesting!

Anyway glad you had a great trip to BWV other than moleskin and the buses!

Have to read your trip report when I have time. Looking forward to it.