PDA

View Full Version : Bike Route - Hilton Head

David in Manassas
06-30-2003, 08:41 PM
We are interested in riding our bikes from the DVC Resort down to the light house in Harbortown. A few questions. We have been down the trail as far as the sea pines circle, but are not sure how to proceed after that. Also, do we have to pay an admission fee to enter Sea Pines on bike like you have to do on car? Is it per person? Are there trails all the way to the lighthouse?

Thanks,

David

dvc_john
06-30-2003, 09:10 PM
Technically, I don't believe that outside bicycles are allowed. You really need to be staying on Sea Pines, or have a pass. There are other ways to get into Sea Pines on bike (I won't mention them here), but it's considered trespassing. One legitimate way to do it would be to drive down and rent a bike on Sea Pines. Sea Pines is covered with really great bike paths, and you could easily spend hours riding all over the plantation.

WebmasterDoc
07-01-2003, 08:45 AM
I agree with dvc-john - there are ways to access Sea Pines without going thru the guard gates, but they do not usually stop bikes at the gates anyway- the bike path routes around the gate and no pass or admission fee is required to enter the area.

It is a fairly long ride from the Disney resort to the Sea Pines Circle (about 4 miles each way), but once there the trails are well marked and well traveled- just follow the "Bike Trail" signage.

Sea Pines is a large plantation, so be prepared to pedal about 4.5 miles from the circle to Harbourtown (Lighthouse) and about 8.5 miles from the circle to South Beach (Salty Dog Cafe). (I think it's about 5 miles from Harbourtown to South Beach.)

Enjoy the ride!!

dvc_john
07-01-2003, 09:30 AM
Doc...
Last time I was there (I was staying at Marriott's Grande Ocean, so I had a pass), there was a gate across the bike path, and you needed to enter a code on a keypad to open it. Don't they do this anymore?

WebmasterDoc
07-01-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by dvc_john
Doc...
Last time I was there (I was staying at Marriott's Grande Ocean, so I had a pass), there was a gate across the bike path, and you needed to enter a code on a keypad to open it. Don't they do this anymore?

I was in Sea Pines yesterday (in a car), but didn't pay any attention to the bike access when we went in and out.

The keypad/code is new from my last biking experience at Sea Pines (a few years ago)- so it sounds as though they have indeed changed the bike access policy.

Thanks for the update, John! :)