PDA

View Full Version : Any steak marinades?

fkj2
06-30-2003, 06:12 PM
Any suggestions for marinading steaks before grilling? Am not looking for anything hot or spicey. Thanks.

Rebecca12345
07-01-2003, 02:45 AM
Yes! Get a bottle of Italian wishbone salad dressing.
Place meat in lg ziplock baggie & cover it with the dressing.
Place ziplock baggie on a tray or plate, put in fridge for several hrs or overnight - turn every so often.

My friend owns a mexican restaurant & uses that for the fajitas!
(great for chicken too)

it is delish!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

piratesmate
07-01-2003, 07:17 AM
We have 2 we've done. The first is similar to Rebecca's - except we really, really like Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette. (His "original" flavor is prettty good, too!)

We haven't used that one, though, since I got the recipe for the Flank Steak Marinade from Boma at AKL. This stuff is awesome!! I use it on ANY kind of steak, not just "flank".

FLANK STEAK MARINADE
from Boma, AKL
Yield: enough to marinate about 1½ lb steak

¼ c ginger
½ Tbl thyme
2 Tbl garlic, minced
¾ tsp turmeric, ground
2 Tbl sugar
¾ tsp crushed black peppercorns
¾ tsp cardamom, ground
¼ c soy sauce
½ Tbl coriander, ground
½ Tbl Worcestershire sauce

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Add flank steak and marinate for 24 hours.
[NOTE: This is very thick – more like a paste than a “normal” marinade.]

fkj2
07-01-2003, 08:41 AM
That one from Boma's sounds good, but it's not too hot or spicey, right? I only have one bottle of antacids on hand.

tkyes
07-01-2003, 08:56 AM
I used this marinade on some steak kabobs that I made this past weekend, people were raving about them!

Kalbi Sauce
Makes about 1 1/2 qts.

4 c. soy sauce
1/3 c. sesame oil
1/2 to 3/4 c. sugar
4 to 5 T. fresh garlic, minced
1/3 c. sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 c.sherry
3 large bunches green onions, finely chopped

Mix ingredients toghether. Use on short rib, steaks, or hamburger and marinade overnight. Excellent with chicken.

I only put my steak in the marinade for a few hours and I thought that was plenty of time.

Tamie

piratesmate
07-01-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by fkj2
That one from Boma's sounds good, but it's not too hot or spicey, right? I only have one bottle of antacids on hand.

I watched the Unwrapped show on Food TV about WDW the other week & heard a really good explanation of the food at AKL: It's spiced, not spicy. (Or something like that)

It's definitely not "hot" like General Tso's Chicken or chili can be. The spices give it flavor. If you'd like to try it, but are a bit worried . . . I made it for company one time & wasn't sure they'd like it as much as we did. I just marinated some of the steak that way & the rest with the Newman's Own. I didn't have enough of the Boma's, though. EVERYone loved it! I've never known anyone to need antacids afterwards.

Also, it is good if only marinated 6 - 8 hours. The flavors aren't as strong. You might try doing it the first time for less than the 24 hours recommended.

Safari Steve
07-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Worcestershire sauce + spicy brown mustard + a little ketchup, s&p.

I didn't know this forum even existed. What fun! (I don't scrapbook, but I cook and stitch) Hooray!

dizzyintx
07-03-2003, 01:09 AM
Have ya'll tried the new tequila lime marinade from the grocery store??? I have to tell you that we cooked chicken out and it was the best chicken I ever ate. YUMMMM Kim:p

Favorite Auntie
07-03-2003, 12:41 PM
I haven't tried this one yet....but a friend uses classic coke, right from the can! It is supposed to be great. I keep meaning to try it, but I only keep diet in the house.:(

Safari Steve
07-03-2003, 10:35 PM
I haven't had steak that way, but I have had brisket marinated in a mixture that included coca cola. It was very tender and quite sweet. My mom may have the recipe (also involves tomatoes, one of my personal favorites).

piratesmate
07-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Hi Steve! I'm glad you found this board. It's great!

I probably wouldn't make this recipe because of the sugar content, but have to think it must make really tender steak! My grandfather used to delight in telling us "odd" things about foods we liked . . . . like what is actually in hot dogs & scrapple YUCK! Anyway, he told us that if you put a penny nail (one of those really big jobs - maybe 4-5 inches) in a cup of coke & let it sit for 6 weeks, the nail would be gone! :eek: (Didn't stop us drinking it though! ;) )

Megan's Mom
07-04-2003, 08:39 AM
We use Archie's sauce. They sell it at some of our stores around here. The original Archie's was a great burger place in Tuscaloosa. Now they sell the sauce. It is fat free and not as salty as Dale's. It does have a little zip to it though. Would not grill a steak or burger without it. It can be found aat Kroger and Bruno's.

Beth E. (NJ)
07-14-2003, 11:17 AM
My mom always uses a mix of oil, vinager, garlic powder, soy sauce and onion powder.

Goofyish
07-16-2003, 05:10 AM
I read that just marinating steak in red wine makes it very tasty :)

crazyme5kids
07-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Here is a Tequila Marinade:

1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup tequila
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons orange liqueur (I use Cointriue SP?)
2 garlic cloves minced
salt and pepper

This is very tasty!

fkj2
07-16-2003, 06:35 PM
OK, don't laugh. I'm going to try one from a local publication, The Farm and Dairy, that has these ingredients:

1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon peel, freshly grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Place beef steak and 1/3 cup lemon marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in frige 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and reserve the remaining marinade.

The remaining marinade gets used the next day on a potato salad, so I suppose if you didn't want to make the salad, you could maybe halve the recipe for the marinade.

I thought it sounded good. Anybody have any thoughts?

piratesmate
07-16-2003, 07:16 PM
I hate to be negative, but...

I thought this sounded more like a poultry marinade than a beef one. I don't think any of the ones I have call for lemon juice - wine or balsamic vinegar, but not lemon juice. Also, I'm not too crazy about the taste of thyme.

I don't think I'd cut the recipe in half because I like to make sure I have plenty of marinade for the steak. It doesn't always work too well if you're short on the volume. Also, I wouldn't use the marinade for potato salad the next day unless I was going to cook it first. We do, however, often use Newman' Own Balsamic to marinate the steak and on the pasta salad. Repeating that flavor in another dish is something we like.