PDA

View Full Version : Link to TR of my recent OKW and PBH ( universal ) visit

vernon
06-30-2003, 07:09 PM
There are a few DVC relevent issues and points so I thought I'd add a link here to my recent visit's trip reports

Part one
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=397241

Part Two
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=397874

KNWVIKING
06-30-2003, 07:41 PM
sounds like a great trip. I gotta tell ya though, I lived in Scotland for three years while I was in the Navy- Holy Loch sub base- and reading your post brings back so many memories simply from your writing style. I can hear your English accent just as if we were having a verbal conversation. Anyhow.....

We've eaten at Olivias a couple of times and I agree with your assessment. I think one of the reasons that it's not on par with other deluxe resorts is because many DVC members chose to cook in their rooms.

At US/IOA, the Express pass for hotel guests has to be a great perk. We bought annual passes for US/IOA and on our May trip to OKW we plan on staying at Royal Pacific the first day. We'll get there early,check in,play all day in the parks,next morning check-out early,run over to OKW and check in,then head back to US/IOA to finish up on any rides we want to do again.

Never ate at Tchoup Chop, but did eat at Emiril's. Like you said, the wait staff was the best we'd ever had. Nobody ignores you just because you're not "their" table. Great food,great service.

On to Part 2.

PamOKW
06-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip reports. I had been hopeful after reading some good things about Olivia's but your description sounds like the same impression I've had for the last 10 years. I don't understand why they can't seem to get it right there. It's always a little "off" and I agree that the dinner prices are very high for entrees that I just don't care for. "Light" meals is the way to go at Olivia's.

vernon
07-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Viking, I'd agree with your view on the "reasoning" behind the style of Olivia's, I'm not sure I agree with Disney's view ( as you and I see it) that it's current style/approach is the best that could be done. I think I'd give up any pretences that Olivia's is a "proper" restaurant and take the cost down with some lower cost items. For those that want a "better quality item", I'd have a decent steak and maybe one fish entree. IMHO anyone staying on OKW that is looking for a "quality meal" can use their car, Disney transport to DTD, or a cab at a push to a nearby good restaurant (which can't be more than $10 each way). IMHO the relatively high cost of what are basic items (pasta/chicken etc) puts off those just looking to get a quick inexpensive bite to eat and the relatively low choice for "high end" items puts off those looking for a "fine dining" option ( that Olivia's price would indicate). IMHO giving the restaurant an obvious identity would allow for people to have an accurate idea of what to expect and it would lead to a higher occupancy rate. I don't think I've seen the restaurant more than 40% full AT ANY TIME other than the character brekkie. With higher occupancy it would lead the restaurant into better break even/profitability figures and allow a little more experimentation as to what sells. At the moment it must be a huge cost to the resort and that would lead to pressure on minimising loss as opposed to being able to try different things that could lead to a thriving atmosphere in the place.

PamOKW
07-01-2003, 10:13 AM
Vernon you have the problem of Olivia's pretty well defined. I once shared an Olivia's problem in a letter and received a very nice phone call from the executive chef of Olivia's. He said that the guests at OKW are not enough to support Olivia's and they are trying to come up with ways to entice people from around WDW. We had a nice discussion and I was hopeful we would be seeing changes at Olivia's. While I haven't been back in a while, it sounds like it's basically as it was when I first went in 1993.

I'm not sure what the answer is either. I usually eat at Olivia's only when something has happened and I end up back at OKW unexpectedly and I'm too tired or the weather is too bad to go elsewhere. Maybe if I knew they had some great fried seafood (like fish & chips) or terrific Italian that could be had for prices that don't rival CG, I would go more often. When I mentioned disappointment with the dinner menu selections and the prices, the chef was wonderful in describing how they would make whatever a guest wanted. That I could order from the lunch menu or just describe what I want....like chicken soup if someone weren't feeling well. It sounded great. When I tried asking to see the lunch menu at night I was curtly told that only X, X & Y would be available from that menu. So, talk is cheap. Real change is what is needed.

mikesmom
07-01-2003, 10:55 AM
Ya know, I think it's largely about what you are used to. We live in a small town in Oklahoma and the only choices you have are the box restaurants (franchises you see everywhere) and not many of them. Our best bet for fine dining is a Red Lobster.

Soo, when we get over to Olivia's we're actually quite happy with the food. That's one of our unofficial "first" every time we stay at OKW. We love the pasta.

vernon
07-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Mikesmom, I'm quite happy with the idea of Pasta on the menu, it's flexible and you can easily make a number of different dishes cheaply and doesn't "go off" if it's not used on day 1. I object to paying $15 for a Fettucini Alfredo ( cheese and cream sauce) with or without $1 worth of shrimp or chicken. At less than $10 it's a reasonable offering at $15 plus it discourages people from visiting. With the greatest respect to small towns in Oklahoma, I didn't buy a timeshare in Oklahoma , I bought one in Orlando which is a major cosmopolitan city at Walt Disney World which is the premier holiday destination in the world. What is adiquate in small town America shouldn't be used as the "yardstick" for the world top tourist destination. JMHO. When you compare Olivia's to what is available at GF, Poly,Contemp, Y+B, BWI, AKL, WL, Swan, Dolphin, Coronado Springs, hell even the moderate PO has a better restaurant. I can't comment on the Carribbean Beach as their new sit down restaurant isn't one I've tried but with the exception of the budget resorts OKW has the worst dining options on site with prices I'd expect, if not at the best of those above, to be in the top 40-50%.