PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay?

SandieT
06-30-2003, 04:41 PM
We are planning a trip to WDW in mid January 2004. I would love any suggestions about the best DVC resort for us. Our party includes myself, my husband, my 5 year old who loves princesses, my one year old who will still require a daily nap and my 82 year old father who will want to rest throughout the day.
I am looking for the best spot to easily come and go from but that also has quite a bit to do around the property.

Thank you,
Sandie

Happy Birthday Cat
06-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Welcome to the Dis Boards!

I am looking for the best spot to easily come and go from but that also has quite a bit to do around the property.

It sounds like you are describing the BWV or BCV. Both are within walking distance and/or a boat ride to MGM and EPCOT. Both are close to the Boardwalk where there is lots to do. BCV has SAB for swimming.

Granny
06-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Sandie...here's a slightly different opinion.

With two children of that age, I'm thinking that you will want to spend considerable time at Magic Kingdom. VWL would provide the quickest access to that via the boat shuttle. It is easy to get back to the room from there for that afternoon nap or when Grandpa wants to rest up. :)

Just something else to consider. The short walking distance to Epcot is great at the Epcot resorts, but at the age of your children how much time do you want to spend in Epcot?

There's no right or wrong...just some input. :)

And WELCOME to the DIS Boards! :)

DeeP
06-30-2003, 11:08 PM
I agree with Granny, with such young children you will probably spend a great deal of time at MK. Out of all the WDW DVC resorts, WLV definitely has the easiest and fastest access to and from MK.
If you think your family will spend more time at Epcot & MGM, then either BCV or BWV are the way to go.
BCV and BWV do offer more things to do outside of a park then WLV does, i.e. the boardwalk entertainment, mini golf, shopping, more dining options. But then WLV is very close to FW which offers many things that appeal to young children i.e. pony rides, petting zoo, carriage rides and a campfire w/ a Disney movie and a visit with Chip & Dale.
All are wonderful resorts, you just have to decide which one will fit best with your family's vacation needs and desires.

KyBill
07-01-2003, 01:24 PM
I agree with others that indicated that due to the ages of your kids that MK would be the preferred theme park. Some posters seem to leave OKW out of the mix. The bus to MK is very easy. OKW has four pools. No slides. But your kids ages would not need a slide. Your 82 year old father might prefer a ground floor location. If you go to OKW ask for a location close to a pool and bus stop.
I really don't see the Boardwalk night life being an asset for your kids.

spiceycat
07-01-2003, 04:12 PM
what are you doing - a 2-bedroom or 2 studios (so grandfather can have his own)

if you do 2 studios then you can stay in 2 different places - you can stay at VWL and your father can stay at OKW - or whatever...

also I tend to agree that VWL with your child's ages would be the better park.

kept in mind that all DVC resorts have free wheelchairs - you don't have to say it is for him - just get one - and see if he doesn't use it... that is if you have enough hands - with 2 strollers you might taking on more than you can handle.

Granny
07-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by KyBill
Some posters seem to leave OKW out of the mix.

No slight intended towards OKW. But if getting from MK to the resort for afternoon naps or general fatigue is important, I think VWL fits the bill better.

Let's face it...any of the DVC resorts would work fine. Just depends on the priorities of the person going. :)

jodifla
07-01-2003, 10:07 PM
VWL is nice because of the boat, but OKW does have the advantage of space. We put our then 15-month-old in his pack and play in the laundry room, and it was the perfect space. He slept soundly there. Also, the bus from OKW takes you right to the MK, and since you don't share buses like the other resorts, I think the bus experience is better.

DeeP
07-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Some posters seem to leave OKW out of the mix
The OP specifically stated:

I think people are addressing these wants/desires and also are taking into consideration the ages of the children.

I really don't see the Boardwalk night life being an asset for your kids
The juggler, magican etc are usually enjoyed very much by the children especially since the CMs doing these acts tend to involve the children in their acts. The 5 yo I am sure would enjoy this very much.

Basser
07-01-2003, 10:47 PM
I would go with OKW for it's larger rooms and relaxing atmoshere.
I have never had any problems getting to or from the parks useing the busses. Have a great trip.