PDA

View Full Version : What happens after the lease expires

Dakota260
06-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Can anyone tell me what happens to the DVC after the lease on the property expires in 2042?

Do owners have to repurchase their points to stay in DVC?

As 2042 draws nearer will the points become worthless, as an example if it's 2035 and i needed to sell me points why would anyone want to buy them at the current rate of approx. $70 a point (resale)?

Dakota260

PamOKW
06-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Can anyone tell me what happens to the DVC after the lease on the property expires in 2042?

I'm afraid that no one can right now. Disney has not announced their plans. It's pure speculation as to what may happen. A logical suggestion that's been bounced around here would be that an extension would be sold.

When you purchase, you should never really expect to make any money if you must resell them. The ever increasing price has been an unexpected bonus for most of us. As you suggest, this will most likely not be the case as the end of the lease nears. Of course, rising costs may have someone happy to buy at $70 point in 2035 -- $70 in 2003 will not be equal to $70 in 20035.

Who would have thought points bought for $51 in 1991 that included passes could be sold 12 years later for $70+?

childsplay
06-30-2003, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure anyone really knows what Disney's plans are, including Disney. It's entirely possible that the individual(s) who will ultimately make that decision are in 3rd grade right now:jester:

There are obviously a few possibilies that would seem most logical...
1. Resell the points- either at some time before the expiration or wait until all have expired and just restart the process.

2. Reclaim the villias and rent them as they do their hotels.

Dakota260...as an example if it's 2035 and i needed to sell me points why would anyone want to buy them at the current rate of approx. $70 a point ...

Your right no one would most likely pay that for points with 7 years use left.......however, it is also possible that you couldn't sell your points next year for that price, unlikely, but possible....don't buy in thinking you could/might get your money back someday, it is not an investment.....if Disney halts their ROFR for whatever reason and SSR doesn't sell well, the resale prices could hit the slopes in a hurry.

InstImpres
06-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Dakota260
As 2042 draws nearer will the points become worthless, as an example if it's 2035 and i needed to sell me points why would anyone want to buy them at the current rate of approx. $70 a point (resale)?

There has been a lot of speculation on this. No one knows for sure if there will be an option to buy back in or not .

As for the above, I think if Disney is still the magical place it is today (and why wouldn't it be) $70 a point with 7 years lefts is still a great deal. It would be the same price per point ($10) that it is being rented at today. Remember, DVC can reallocate points but never increase the total number of points in the chart.

JMHO
Sandy

Horace Horsecollar
06-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by **********
As for the above, I think if Disney is still the magical place it is today (and why wouldn't it be) $70 a point with 7 years lefts is still a great deal. It would be the same price per point ($10) that it is being rented at today.
Of course, 35 years from now, the annual fee at the DVC resorts is likely to be $20 per point -- and a can of Coke at a vending machine is likely to be $10.

Geoff_M
06-30-2003, 03:18 PM
If you're viewing DVC as an investment, or anything close to it, forget it.

As an asset with a fixed life, it's value will undoubtedly decrease as does it's useful life. However, inflation will take some of the sting out. Any guess what a 1 bdrm Villa will be renting for 32 years from now? $60 - $70 per point for a contract that still had 7 years left on it might not be a bad deal in 2035.

Maistre Gracey
06-30-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Dakota260

I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate, but I have heard it from a good source...

The sun will slowly enlarge and become very hot, possibly a red giant. It will eventually disintegrate all living beings, and encompass the Earth itself. Then, slowly, it will shrink and become a white dwarf, and that will symbolize the end of DVC.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this sounds about right.

anniet
06-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Maistre Gracey
I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate, but I have heard it from a good source...

The sun will slowly enlarge and become very hot, possibly a red giant. It will eventually disintegrate all living beings, and encompass the Earth itself. Then, slowly, it will shrink and become a white dwarf, and that will symbolize the end of DVC.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this sounds about right.

yeah, that sounds right....only that's AFTER they collect your maintenance fee!

Maistre Gracey
06-30-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by anniet
yeah, that sounds right....only that's AFTER they collect your maintenance fee! Oh my yes! How foolish of me to forget the #1 law of physics! :teeth:

ArnyVee
07-01-2003, 07:12 AM
When said, ball of fire, encompasses the Earth....will we still not have online access to points? :p

anniet
07-01-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by ArnyVee
When said, ball of fire, encompasses the Earth....will we still not have online access to points? :p

Yes we probably will have on-line access to points, but by then, most transactions will be done telepathically.:)

ArnyVee
07-01-2003, 08:01 AM
And those with the most powerful minds would then be able to telepathically transfer points from others to their account!

Wow....such advances.