PDA

View Full Version : Anniverary suggestions

tvwalsh
06-29-2003, 05:58 PM
My wife and I would love to fly to a beautiful resort or hotel for our anniversary. This would only be for 2 or 3 days at the end of October, and I would prefer something from the concierge collection rather than one of the DVC resorts. Anyone have any great experiences with the Concierge Collection? We can fly (almost) anywhere.

auntsue
06-29-2003, 07:03 PM
We did The Plaza two years ago for our anniversary, and it was wonderful. The only downside was it was very expensive even though we got the room on points. By the time we ate out every evening, went to a few Broadway shows, took a carriage ride through Central Park, and had high tea at the hotel, we probably could have flown to WDW. But, it was a wonderful, once-in-a-lifetime experience.
I'm sure others can give you some other great suggestions.

ToyStory Fan
06-29-2003, 07:25 PM
If you want the city I'd do the Plaza/dinner and a show in NYC.

If you want a bed and breakfast The Equinox in Vermont.

If you want Mountain Lake Views The Sagamore in Lake George NY.

ducklite
06-29-2003, 08:34 PM
Be careful with the Sagamore--you can't get the best rooms using points. Also if you go any time that school is out the place is over run with kids.

The Equinox would be a better choice IMHO.

You might also want to think about Vero Beach--so relaxing and as long as you avoid school breaks (including NJ week) and summer there aren't many kids there mid-week.

Anne

EAP'sDAD
06-30-2003, 02:13 AM
Heres another vote for the Equinox. First off the area its in is gorgeous in the fall with the leafs changing. Manchester is areally nice little town with many outlet stores for shopping. But the nicest thing is the resort itself which is really top shelf. You could stay there and never leave the property with all the have to offer.

ducklite
06-30-2003, 06:26 AM
Keep in mind that it's probably already too late to book peak leaf season for this year.

Anne

EAP'sDAD
06-30-2003, 08:40 AM
Last year went up to Vermont the second week of Oct. and the trees were beautiful. while it is not peak time it still is a great time to go.

Pa@okw95
06-30-2003, 09:40 AM
Sagamore--I got the best room using points. It was a one bedroom right along the lake. The one bedroom was very much like our one bedroom at OKW(the bathroom was smaller of course) but it was one of their best rooms-cost a lot of points however, but I had to use them somehow. I did not see a lot of kids there either, that is why we went to Sagamore, not many kids around. A few places are off limits to kids anyway there. I would recommend the Sagamore.

reneesam
06-30-2003, 05:02 PM
The Windsor Court in New Orleans (there is a great review on another thread) and Charleston Place (formerly the Omni) in Charleston are both in very romantic cities with great dining and entertainment options.

disney4me4ever
06-30-2003, 08:42 PM
I would also consider the Charleston Place (beautiful hotel!) in Charleston, SC or the White Swan Inn in San Francisco. Both very romantic settings with lots to do and wonderful dining options.

Nancy :earsgirl:

new_yawka
07-01-2003, 12:14 AM
We stayed for 4 nights at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC. Dinner on the deck, with a sunset over the Blue Ridge Mountains was truly spectacular. It has wonderful history, one of the most beautiful spas in the world. A Robert Trent Jones, Sr. golf course (or maybe Donald Ross), which was one of the most wonderfully manecured courses I've ever played (better than Baltisrol IMHO) and the service was wonderfully friendly.

Given the time of year, Asheville, might have a bit nicer weather than the Sagamore (we are heading there for our anniversary this August).

I have little doubt that there are several wonderful concierge collection options. I do know, the Grove Park Inn fits the bill.

Enjoy!

dianeschlicht
07-01-2003, 07:48 AM
I vote for Hawaii!;)

bres@westernMA
07-01-2003, 08:16 AM
We live in New England and have enjoyed the Equinox, Juniper Hill, Sagamore and Windham Hill. First of all, late in October would not be my choice of time of year to visit New England. I would recommend the first or second week of Oct. when fall is basically at its peak. The Equinox and Sagamore are larger and more hotel like. Both are top shelf, located in beautiful country, outlet shopping and area attractions see their web sites. You might fly into Albany NY airport.
Juniper and Windham Hill are true Bed and Breakfasts. Both are near lots of local attractions (Vermont stuff), feature romantic rooms with fireplaces, excellent homey dining and are basically adult only places. Again the nearest airport might be Albany or perhaps Manchester, NH. In any case, all four places are top quality and recommended. All have web sites check them out. You and your wife would have a very enjoyable stay in any case.