PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions from Members

Duchie
06-29-2003, 10:38 AM
OK, all you seasoned travelers - this newbie needs some advice. Since we'll probably be booking a 2BR we'd like to take advantage of the kitchen. What's the best way to get groceries? Do you get them delivered from somewhere? Every time we've gone to WDW in the past, we've caught the shuttle at the airport and then just used the buses to get around the parks. Being car-less, are there other ways to get to off-site grocery places?

Thanks in advance!

5infam
06-29-2003, 10:49 AM
Duchie,

I am new to DVC and have never stayed there either, but I was also looking into the grocery thing. We always take a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I noticed that on the home page of this site there are several advertisers for different things. One of them is FL Tours. I went to their site and found that they include a 30 minute grocery stop in their pricing. A roundtrip town car is around $90. and to rent a van (holds 10 people) is around $100. They also include a free car seat/booster if you need it.

I have never used them, maybe others have, but this is the route I will be going for my first trip to BWV next year:cool: :cool: :cool:

WebmasterDoc
06-29-2003, 11:34 AM
We have used <a href="http://www.FLTours.com">FL Tours </a> many times and have been delighted with their service.

They will make a 30 minute grocery stop on the way to the resort. They usually stop at the new Kash-N-Carry on the way and will even give you their corporate discount card to save a few $$ on your bill.

Using a towncar service is less than the Mears shuttle if you have 3 or more people. It's a great feeling to greeted at the luggage carousel by your driver holding a card with your name printed on it.

Enjoy!

5infam
06-29-2003, 11:42 AM
Doc,

You have secured my usage in FL Tours. It sounds like they have great service...and a recommendation from you is all I need!!

It may sound funny...but I've always wanted to greeted at the airport by someone holding a sign with my name on it:cool: :cool: :cool:

Scott H
06-29-2003, 11:45 AM
Here is what we do. We get a rental car for the first day. Cost of about $50. Drive to WDW and try to check in, if the room is not ready we are off to a park. Doing the move in and grocery run later. If the room is ready we move in and make the grocery run for the stay. We then drop the car off that night at the shopping village.

We have usually used Avis as you can drop off at the Hilton at the shopping village. Then it is a very short walk to the village a Disney. Alamo has replaced National and you can drop off there at the Dolphin.

For our return we usually just grab the Mears shuttle.

Shopping at SuperWalmart in Kississmie.

Works for us.

rpink58
06-29-2003, 04:39 PM
I have been a member since 94 and here is what we do. When I don't have a rental car we use a cab from DTD and take it to the A&P. Then take a cab back, I think it cost about $15 one way. You can sign up for their savers card and save more.
Ray

Loubon
06-29-2003, 05:19 PM
We're trying this towncar this year on a recommendation:

http://www.cartiertowncar.com

We have used:

http://www.tiffanytowncar.com

Both make 30 miniute stops and are about $70-$75 if you use their web site coupon.

DeeP
06-29-2003, 05:47 PM
I have used Tiffany Towncar service many times and they are wonderful and I also used Atlantis Towncar once but I never would use them again. I do not know if Atlantis is still even around, I have not heard anything regarding them in a couple of years. The 30 min grocery stop with the towncar service is nice but I always feel like I am running around like a chicken without a head especially if I have to get deli items and there is a line. What works best for me is renting a car at the airport driving to WDW, then going to the grocery store later that day or the next morning and then returning the car at either the Dolphin or the car care center. National and Alamo have rental car desks at both of these locations and they will provide you with transportation back to your WDW resort.

jimmytammy
06-29-2003, 06:37 PM
We have been 4 times to WDW and used towncar services each time having a minimum of 4 people. It is less than shuttle service and they will give you a 30 min stop at Grocery store. It is a great way to travel, no waiting for the shuttle to pick you up, no stopping at everyone elses stop first. Try it, you want be dissapointed. Go over to the transportation forum for some great advice on towncar services and discounts.

Dean
06-29-2003, 07:31 PM
I agree that a grocery stop from one of the town cars is a great option. I think I read that Albertson's will let you fax it in and get it ready but I am not certain. You can also use netgrocer or ship your own for non perishables and get the perishables on site. From DD it's not that far to Crossroads. You could walk from DD or even take the bus as far as the last DD hotel and walk across then take a cab back. Or you could rent a car for all or part of the time. The last option is to find a member with a car who doesn't mind picking up a few things for you. I've done this for others a couple of times. It's a great way to make a friend and help out a fellow owner. You can also pack things you want that will travel well right in your bags. We do this all the time when traveling for the easy stuff like spices we may want, oatmeal, cereal, sugar, etc. It works well and gives you extra space for things you're bringing back that you didnt take with you.

Duchie
06-30-2003, 07:34 PM
Both of us work for sizable corporations and researched rental car options and it's looking like we'll be able to get an adequate size vehicle from Alamo for $150.00 for the week so that route is looking most appealing from a flexibility and price view.

There are 5 of us 2 adults and 3 kids so by the time you add up all the separate fees of travelling via the shuttles and such it comes close. No doubt we'll forget something and be frustrated so even if we just use the vehicle to get to and from the airport and get groceries it will be beneficial.

Thanks for the input :)

5infam
06-30-2003, 09:28 PM
Duchie,

Just a word of wisdom regarding the rental car and 3 kids. I recently traveled with my DW and 3 kids and booked a mid sized rental car. The problem I had was that all of our luggage didn't fit in the trunk. We even tried to squeeze some in the backseat but were concerned over safety. We ended up having to upgrade to a mini van, which was almost double the price!!

We also had a stroller with us, which made it worse (maybe your kids are older and don't need a stroller) so I would check with the rental company ahead of time and they can give you a feel for what the trunk will hold.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Duchie
06-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the info, Sinfam!

Our kids are 6, 5, and 3, so we need at least a full-size so that we can squeeze at least 1 booser seat in the back seat. I thought about the luggage, but I forgot about the stroller. Good reminder!

crisi
07-01-2003, 09:17 AM
Don't forget to add the taxes and fees to whatever you choose to do. I was astounded by what the rental car bill actually came to, as opposed to what I was quoted, after taxes and fees. We needed to be able to fit six (and we will need to again this trip), so we needed a minivan. And if you do rent, bring your own car seat (which is a pain in the back end to carry through the airports.

5infam
07-01-2003, 09:49 AM
Crisi,

Your absolutely right in regards to the taxes and fees. I could not believe how expensive that $19.99 per day car costs in the end. Also, if your insurance company doesn't cover you, you need to get their insurance which is also another huge expense. Last time I rented a car, I explained to them that my AAA insurance covered me for rentals. They told me that AAA (and all other insurance companies) do not cover what they call "loss of use" insurance. Which means that if I wreck the car, AAA will pay to fix it, but they will still charge me a daily rate for every day that car is off the road!! I don't know if this is a scam or not (I didn't pay the fee) but it sounds like something they would try and collect on!!

In the end, when making a car reservation, make sure they give you every fee possibly known to man, because the daily rate may only cover one-third of the actual cost.:cool: :cool: :cool: