PDA

View Full Version : Different meaning

Goofyish
06-27-2003, 01:04 PM
We were talking about Wimbledon at work this afternoon and looking at the scores on the internet, when we noticed who was playing - an American called Mardy Fish!

We were in hysterics - does 'Mardy' mean the same in the US as it does here?

WebmasterPenny
06-27-2003, 01:20 PM
I don't know? What does it mean here? LOL.

I'm usually pretty up on slang but I never heard of that one! :o

signtalker
06-27-2003, 01:24 PM
In Norfolk this is a word that is used by the "Country Folk" or older generation Mardy, means grumpy/rude and miserable,not talking to anybody sort of thing,

jules

Goofyish
06-27-2003, 01:37 PM
I thought 'mardy' was a commonly used expression in the UK.

Round here it means roughly what Jules has said, i.e. someone whos grumpy and miserable, especially children.

(Lost count how many times I was called a 'mardy little devil' when I was a little lad :) ).

WebmasterPenny
06-27-2003, 01:41 PM
Ahhhh, ok. Maybe it's a country thing and I'm a city girl or....

...maybe it's an age thing and I'm just to young to know :p ;)

BONZO
06-27-2003, 03:11 PM
MARDY

Equivalent to sulky. I.e. don't worry about Ethel, she's just being a bit mardy. Or, Ethel's having a mard.

[Origin: The Midlands]

Olaf
06-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Never heard the term "mardy" applied to anything. You guys have the most colorful slang.

My DS is mighty mardy in the mornings. That's what I'll start calling him, "mardy mule". ;) It literally takes a crop to get him out of bed.

WDWfan,uk
06-28-2003, 07:33 AM
I've never heard this word!! LOL - I love finding new words, thanks for that one!

I can use it to members of the family and they won't know what I'm saying :smooth:

Minniespal
06-28-2003, 08:36 AM
I have never heard of this - I can give you a few Scottish words if you want!!!!LOL!!!!

Enright78
06-28-2003, 04:30 PM
Like glaikit and scunner?!! (oh and dreich, a real north eastern word because it always is dreich there!)

Fiona (may be in Swindon now but originally from Aberdeen!)

Eiblis
06-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Mardy
Noun. Someone who is easily upset, scared, or moans incessantly. {Informal} [North and Midlands use]
Adj. In the manner of someone who is a 'mardy', see noun.

taken from
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/index.htm

Be careful tho.....definitely an adult site

jana
06-29-2003, 07:34 AM
Nope doesn't mean the same in the US.

WDWfan,uk
06-30-2003, 04:49 PM
well coincidentally I heard someone say "mardy" when we were in Manchester yesterday!

Would love to hear some more of the Scottish words and other regional words - I know cullyhunkers (sp?) A Scotttish friend of mine used to say "get off your cullyhunkers" if she wanted people to get up and help. We need meanings too :) !

Enright78
07-01-2003, 05:04 AM
Sorry!!
Glaikit = silly or stupid

Scunner = little devil, wicked person (but not really evil)

Dreich = grey gloomy and drizzling - typical Aberdeen weather!!

We also used the word Haar for sea fog, but I belive that is a Scandinavian word?