PDA

View Full Version : Rhode Island Folks

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Namdnas
06-26-2003, 02:04 PM
I am interested to know how many Rhode Island folks are DVC members. I pay attention to the location tags and find I'm expecially glad to see others from my area who like being welcomed home.

So, here's my entry. Woonsocket, RI!!
(WDW at heart)

Muushka
06-26-2003, 03:02 PM
While my tag says "Cary, NC", I am originally from RI. Greenville, Exeter, Rumford, Providence.

So, Woonsocket, is that where they park side by each?? :D

iluvwdw18
06-26-2003, 03:38 PM
Hi neighbor, I'm from North Smithfield.
How long have you been a member? We joined in September of 2000 and just did an add-on this month!

MikeBW
06-26-2003, 03:51 PM
We're from Franklin, MA - just across the border from Woonsocket and I grew up in Cranston. I will always be a Rhode Islander at heart. RI test: what is a cabinet and a grinder?

Namdnas
06-26-2003, 03:55 PM
Hah hah, yes, it is in fact where all the Canucks (of French-Canadian descent, myself included) live that say 'side by each', 'do my stores', 'throw the baby down the stairs, his clothes..'. It's like a being in Montreal.

Items of note here are;
One the best high school hockey teams in the U.S., Mount Saint Charles. (our state champs for the last 25 years!).
Ye' Olde English Fish & Chips (wow are they good)
Chans Restaurant (good restaurant, great Jazz spot)

I lived in Exeter while in college as well.

We've been 150 pt. BCV members for about 3 weeks after returning from WDW in April. I can't wait to go back, Jan. 11-16, 2003!!!!

Regards,
John

Namdnas
06-26-2003, 03:59 PM
test answers;

A grinder is Rhode Islandese for a hoagie or sub, as they're called in the big states.

A cabinet is a frappe or a milkshake.

Another RI test;
1. What's the name of the 100+ year old cart along side the Providence city hall which serves the best 2am burger.

2. What's a gagger?

betslinc
06-26-2003, 05:11 PM
We live in Lincoln, RI, members since December

Muushka
06-26-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Namdnas
Another RI test;
1. What's the name of the 100+ year old cart along side the Providence city hall which serves the best 2am burger.

2. What's a gagger?

OOh OOH I rememba, I rememba!!

1.Haven Brothers
2.NY style weiner (the kind that they load up their arm and add the sause, onions and celery salt!) And it is pronounced GAGGA

Mickey_Maniac
06-26-2003, 09:38 PM
Here is another family from Lincoln, or to be proper, the wonderful village of Manville. BWV since 2001, just added another 200 points.

betslinc, what part of Lincoln?? We are up north, right near Rt 99

betslinc
06-26-2003, 10:01 PM
Hi Mickey Maniac:
We live off River Road, a little south of the Town Hall. I never realized there were so many other DVC'rs around. We took our first trip to OKW in May, and are taking my parents to BCV in January. We definitely like to escape these winters!

Namdnas
06-26-2003, 10:07 PM
My parent's apartment when I was born was on Lower River Road in Manville, and my grandparents lived on River Road a few houses down from St. Judes.

What a small world.

Namdnas
06-26-2003, 10:11 PM
PS For those of you who know the lay of downtown Woonsocket, the ACS mills are on fire right now. Almost all of Woonsocket is covered in thick black smoke and ash chunks the size of basketballs are landing 1/2 mile away from the fire. It's a plastic factory across from Giancarlo's Restaurant that's on fire. I have seen fire depts. from 30 miles away pulling into town, so this is the big one.

betslinc
06-26-2003, 10:14 PM
Bad news about the fire, too many this year, I've seen the reports.

betslinc
06-26-2003, 10:18 PM
I didn't realize the exact location, but know where Giancarlo's is. At least it doesn't sound like anything like the number of casualties in the Station fire. I hope all is well up your way!

Namdnas
06-27-2003, 07:46 AM
Well, this morning it looks like they have the fire under control, although it appears that it'll be burning for days. The important thing is, noone was killed, and the only injuries reported are heat exhaustion for some of the firefighters doing their job.

larfamily
06-27-2003, 11:35 AM
We live in Cumberland, RI. We bought 200 BCV points in April 2002.

o'bother
06-27-2003, 12:28 PM
We're in Cumberland also, we bought in 2001 at VWL and just added on at HH in Jan. Will be at BCV Aug 17-22

Lizziemom
06-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Anyone from the East Bay? We are from Bristol.

We own 250 points at VWL and just added on 100 points at Boardwalk

nettie
06-27-2003, 07:25 PM
Hi
Ocean state DVC friends,
members since 98- BWV homebase
North Smithfield is where I wait for my next trip home

IAMLEGEND
06-27-2003, 09:13 PM
Proud member from Johnston...........Whens the R.I reunion to be held??????

natp
06-27-2003, 09:30 PM
From Scituate, RI!! What about DEL'S, the best lemonade $$ can buy!! My kids had to have one today on this HOT day!!!!

jona8484
06-28-2003, 11:20 AM
I can't believe how many Rhode Islander DVC members there are. My dh dd and ds all live in Richmond. I grew up in Exeter and my husband grew up in Lincoln. It's a great little state and apparently full of Mickey lovers. As for the Woonsocket fire, I read that it ended up being an 8 alarm fire. Our thoughts are with everyone up north. Well maybe we'll see some of you at BWV in Nov. While we're there. I can't wait to go home, of course I'll have to bring my own coffee syrup.

Joan S.
06-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Hi, we are a family of 5 and WE LOVE THE MOUSE!! Our home town in RI is Barrington. We have been DVC members since 1993. We own at OKW and last summer purchased at BCV(my kids love the pool area there) and I like being so close to Epcot!We have stayed at the BWV many times and also enjoy it there! We will be at WDW the last two weeks in July!! Joan

Denise W
06-28-2003, 11:03 PM
We own 270 points at BWV, have been members since 1998. We were just at BMW (left today for Ft. Meyers) for a week and had a great room in the "Crest O' the Wave" section!!

We live in Barrington.

Denise

XQIXX
01-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Hello,
Were are all the Rhode Islanders and when are you going??

We will be in OKW Feb 16-24th !!:dance3: :cool1:

castleri
01-26-2007, 02:07 PM
From Ashaway on the Ct line. Will be there in March or April and again in September.

chainkid
01-26-2007, 02:15 PM
We are also proud residents of Rhode island and live in the Burrillville Area. we have 602 pts all at the BWV and have 25 RI relatives going to WDW last week of November. We have owned since 1999. Another RI Quiz

1 What color is the famous insect overlooking Rt 95 in Providence?

jonestavern
01-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Born & raised in Warwick, lived in North Kingstown for another 7 years or so, then moved to New Hampshire in '92, but we still get back down on a regular basis (just last weekend as a matter of fact).

Chris

bob_bldr
01-26-2007, 07:32 PM
We're from Mendon, MA, about 10 minutes north of Woonsocket, and I work in East Providence. We love to camp in Richmond at least 1 week each summer.

We are staying at SSR from 2/17 thru 2/24 and again next Christmas.

DanenRox
01-26-2007, 07:53 PM
We live (and work) in Warren, RI and bought at BCV about a year ago. Even though the kids are grown, we still head to WDW twice a year (with or without them!):hug:

For Chainkid...Nibbleswoodaway is blue.

ro80
01-26-2007, 08:02 PM
We are from Warren too. We call this God's Country. We have 240 pts. at SSR and love it (but Danenrox are the real Disney Junkies!) :rotfl2: :rotfl:

poohhappy1
01-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Checking in from Portsmouth. Not a DVC member YET... still working all the numbers but getting close! I'm so glad to see all the RI neighbors! Makes me want to buy even more. LOL

:love:

TomD
01-27-2007, 07:25 AM
From Ashaway on the Ct line. Will be there in March or April and again in September.

I have relatives that live in Ashaway. I lived in Westerly for 25 yrs. My parents still do and since they still come on most of our trips I guess we could call them honorary members...lol

Disney Ron
01-27-2007, 08:27 AM
We are from Johnston, RI and own 200pts at VWL.

We also don't let on we know ro80 for obvious reasons.

poohhappy, make the plunge you won't regret it!!!

MLK-RI
01-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Hello Rhode Islanders!

Special hello to poohhappy1 - we also live in Portsmouth.

DVC members since 2001. Home at WDW is VWL.

Missy Bruin
01-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Hey everyone it's missy and family here from cranston R.I. Wow there are alot of dvers from rhode island here my family and i bought into the vacation club about three years ago and have been come down to disney atleast twice a year now and enjoying every minute of it i must say. See you all in june not to mention home for the holidays once again.See you soon MISSY AND FAMILY

SStJean
01-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Glad to see that this thread has been revived. We're also from Woonsocket and have 200 pts at SSR. My wife and I (no kids) will be heading down for a long weekend (5 days) next weekend...yippee!!

Another trivia question: What is the only county in RI that isn't an actual county?

gmboy95
01-27-2007, 10:52 PM
well we are from Norton Ma...which many of you know is only a couple of towns away from RI....closer to providence then Boston.

Monte Cristo
01-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Another trivia question: What is the only county in RI that isn't an actual county?

South County

I grew up in Narragansett and am now..................

I lived in Westerly for 25 yrs. My parents still do and since they still come on most of our trips I guess we could call them honorary members...lol

a happy resident of Westerly. We just got back to Westerly yesterday, :sad1: Good news is that I already have a December tripped booked for 10 of us.

We own 200 at BWV.

MC

ferastu
01-28-2007, 04:48 PM
We live in Lincoln and have owned at SSR since 2005.

dixiefriend
01-28-2007, 04:58 PM
:cheer2: Welcome Home fellow DVCers. I am from West Warwick, and yes, I have a Disney addiction. Just became a member this past Dec. 06. Went on first trip to SSR in Dec. LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT!!!!!!! Can't wait until next trip in Sept.:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cheer2:

Boston5602
01-28-2007, 05:19 PM
I don't live in RI , but I fly out of there often !!!!

Thanks SouthWest

poohhappy1
01-28-2007, 07:41 PM
poohhappy, make the plunge you won't regret it!!!

I know..I know... I need to convince DH and then I am all set. I'm working on it...........

poohhappy1
01-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Hello Rhode Islanders!

Special hello to poohhappy1 - we also live in Portsmouth.

DVC members since 2001. Home at WDW is VWL.

Yea! Go PHS Patriots!! :cheer2: HELLOOOO!

roadtripper
01-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Native Bay-Stater, but I teach in one of the towns that has already been mentioned on this thread--;)
History teacher trivia question: what is the official name of RI--(smallest state, longest name....)

Muushka
01-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Would that be

State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations ?

kgkmom
01-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi everyone! Scituate here, but I grew up in Cre-anstin!;) I never did have the 'big hair' and nine-inch nails, even though I was in high school in the '80's!:rotfl:

We bought SSR last year, and we love it! DD and I just got back from a quick (too quick!) MLK, Jr. weekend visit. Man, was it crowded! Tons of families from FL! Our next trip is in June, though I might just leave her home with DH and DS and take a solo trip! Mama needs some time off!:thumbsup2

Monte Cristo
01-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Another easy one for us natives....let's see if anyone else can get it. No cheating!

Which sport's Hall of Fame is located in RI ?

MLK-RI
01-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Hee hee, that would be the "International Tennis Hall of Fame" in beautiful downtown Newport, RI !

XQIXX
01-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Hello,
We are from West Warwick. DVC Member at SSR from 2005. Heading down FEB-16th to 24th at OKW.

kt-scarlett
01-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Hello fellow Roe Dylanders!! We have been DVC members since 1999 and own most of our points at BWV with a small add-on at VWL. I am originally from Providence and DH is from East Greenwich. We have lived in Warwick for the past 23 years, two of our children attend URI and the youngest is at Toll Gate (the school that de-throned the hockey team at Mount St. Charles.) :cool1:

It's nice to see how many RI DVC members out there. So, how many of you will be at the World during February Break?

kgkmom
01-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Hey, kt-scarlett-love your siggy! When DD and I were at SSR a few weeks ago, there were loads of college kids there 'earning their ears'. DD asked what it was all about, and I told her about the College Program (I have a cousin who participated in the College Program, and 15 years later, is still working for Disney!). DD kept saying, 'nuh-uh', and 'dude!' (Yes, she's 13), and was totally intrigued by the idea of living and working at WDW.

Hey-where does she think I'm retiring to?:goodvibes

Mickeysduck
01-30-2007, 04:08 PM
We live just north of the boarder in MA, but take advantage of the great all-you-can-eat chicken at Wrights in N. Smithfield. (yum).

TF Green is the best way to travel!

Then there Salty Brine's beach, (great seafood at Champlins), who remembers Salty on TV with his dog..can't remember his name, and of course the years he was on the radio.

Can't beat the price for a Sox game in Pawtucket, RI. Future stars, great park, reasonable food and drink!

Waterfire in Providence..... I could go on and on, for such a small state, you guys sure have a lot to offer!

Joan S.
01-30-2007, 04:37 PM
We live just north of the boarder in MA, but take advantage of the great all-you-can-eat chicken at Wrights in N. Smithfield. (yum).

TF Green is the best way to travel!

Then there Salty Brine's beach, (great seafood at Champlins), who remembers Salty on TV with his dog..can't remember his name, and of course the years he was on the radio.

Can't beat the price for a Sox game in Pawtucket, RI. Future stars, great park, reasonable food and drink!

Waterfire in Providence..... I could go on and on, for such a small state, you guys sure have a lot to offer!

Hi Salty's dogs name would be JEFF. How I loved that SHOW!! We are DVC owners since 1993 and live in Barrington. And YES- we will be there for February vacation! :banana: :banana: We start at VWL then over to BCV and the last 2 nites at SOG. IT will be my DH ,DS-13 and myself. Joan

Muushka
01-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Ah yes. Salty Brine......

NO SCHOOL...FOSTER...GLOUSTER....

And that was more than 40 years ago!!

XQIXX
01-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Hello Rhode Islanders!

I will be staying at OKW for the first time. I asked for building # 11. Can anyone offer any advice for OKW?

ro80
02-14-2007, 11:49 PM
bumping :)

jadejazzkayla
02-17-2007, 09:26 AM
i grew up in north smithfield. live over the border in connecticut now. we own at bcv. YEAH. we're staying at ssr in may. never been there before.

ok how about dough boys
Narragansett Beer
scarborough beach
del's from the truck. not from a del store. that doesn't count
whole belly clams
Wright's farm
Mezza Luna
Leo's Bakery
dynamites (other people call something similar sloppy joe's)
real italian bread. why can't we get it here?

when giving directions we say "ok, go past the smith's old house," (even though the jone's have lived there for 20 years!)

Coach Rick
02-17-2007, 10:54 AM
I grew up in Bristol, graduated from Bristol High in 76, now live in Woooon-sockette there. Been here for 20 years now, by way of Wareham (U know in that other state that thinks they have the best restaurants when Providence always kicks butt in cook offs) I teach in Pawtucket:teacher: where I also coach one of the 5 founding girls ice hockey teams in the interscholastic league, have one DD at an awesome college in Newport, a DS in high school, DD in middle school. I am once again a student at Providence College, and still find time for the two jobs I work. :scared1:

We have been owners since 02 when we bought 175 pts. at VB, did an add on of 130 pts. two years ago at SSR, just signed and sent the papers in for 150 pts. at AKV, so now have 455 pts. Disney is the only place I consider a vacation as opposed to a destination. Since I have gotten my parents (Warren) to also purchase points, and sis (Westerly) to also buy. Hmm, just noticed we all live in towns that begin with W...Hmmm, must be something to that.:idea:

Oh, jadejazzkayla, you forgot:
Hot Weenies
Stuffies
Clam Cakes
Coffee Cabinets (for the less informed it's a milkshake with ice cream)
Chourice and Peppers
Italian feast in Knightsville
Portuguese feast in every other town in the state
And Most Imprortantly, who can forget the "oldest" 4th of July celebration in the US....BRISTOL 4th of July...:woohoo:

DW and I will spend our 25th anniversary on the Disney Wonder in May, then to VB for 4 nights.:hug:

Gonna do our annual "entire" family vacation for Thanksgiving...:grouphug:

Muushka
02-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Ahhh. Woooon-sockette, where people pak side-by-each.:rotfl2:

And who can forget the gaggas (gaggers for those who pronounce "R"s) from the Haven Brothers in downtown Providence? Or getting a drink from the "bubbla".

I do miss RI. It is fun to read these threads.

PS I really loved Mr. Nick's frozen lemonade so much more than Del's. I don't think it is still around, is it?

kitty44
02-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi! I grew up in Foster, my husbands from Warwick, We live in Glocester now. It's so cold and icy out, I keep wishing we were in WDW. Unfortunately we don't have a trip planned this year (yet).

Coach Rick
02-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Ahhh. Woooon-sockette, where people pak side-by-each.:rotfl2:

Yeah, and the next time you cut true my yard, you go round, eh.

PS I really loved Mr. Nick's frozen lemonade so much more than Del's. I don't think it is still around, is it?

I still see the trucks on the road, but I always found they tasted more like lemon pledge on ice :lmao:

Muushka
02-17-2007, 01:44 PM
I still see the trucks on the road, but I always found they tasted more like lemon pledge on ice :lmao:

Ouch! :rotfl2: Maybe they have changed since my last one in 1985 :confused3 .

Lizziemom
02-17-2007, 09:18 PM
I noticed that I posted here back in 2003. We now live in Savannah Ga, about 5 hours from WDW. Travel there several times a year. We love the warmer weather and being so close to WDW, but do miss RI and the unique place that our litte state is.

Also went to a few Red Sox games in Tampa last year. A whole lot easier than getting tickets to Fenway!

We go on the Disney cruise in April and can't wait to go back to WDW in Sept.

Lizzie

debaudrn
02-26-2007, 11:58 AM
DVC member since 1996. DH and I grew up in Pawtucket, now live in Barrington (since 1986).
DD #1 at Providence College - going to BWV with her roommates for spring break on 3/4, DD #2 junior in HS, DS in 8th grade.
Muushka I heard a recording of Salty a couple of weeks ago "no school ..." so he is still with us in spirit.
Jadejazzkayla - Narragansett Beer is back!
I'll be home on March 18 - 23.
Debbie

chepic
05-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Another RI chiming in here....born and raised, and continue to live in Warwick with my DH of 19 years.....also from Warwick, and now our son age 6.

Glad to know there are others out there that enjoy our state as much as we do and love Disney too!!!!:yay:

Happy day

cheryl

dgaston
05-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Not from RI, but just across 395 in South Woodstock, and frequent flyer out of TF Greene. In fact I was just looking at flights, trying to decide if I used my points at Fort Wilderness, if I could manage a solo camping trip. I probably wont go, but I really need a WDW fix. I am so spoiled, we were at Hilton Head over April vacation, and are going in September for a long F & W and MNSSHP.

Claroquesi
05-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Checking in from Warwick.

I`m on page 5 of this thread and can't believe no one has mentioned where Almacks used to be....

Coach Rick
05-05-2007, 07:44 AM

I`m on page 5 of this thread and can't believe no one has mentioned where Almacks used to be....

Next to Hospital Tust Bank, on the corner of Gooding Avenvue, and Hope Street in Bristol. It was right across the street from First National Grocery Market, which had Nyanza to the left, and Newport Creamery to the right...so there take that...:lmao:

See, sign of a true Rhody....:rotfl:

roadtripper
05-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Native Bay-Stater, but I teach in one of the towns that has already been mentioned on this thread--;)
History teacher trivia question: what is the official name of RI--(smallest state, longest name....)

Would that be

State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations ?

Very good! You get an A!
Next question--
The Rhode Island State House dome is the second largest unsupported marble dome in the world. What is number one?

kt-scarlett
05-05-2007, 09:32 AM

LOL! Okay, I'll play. Almacs (where my former BIIL worked) was on the corner of Waterman and Butler, right up the street from First National (where I worked).
This was before First National became IGA and then EastSide Marketplace and Almacs became Bread and Circus and then Whole Foods. :cool1:

Mary<who is already on this RI List... .somewhere> :)

Coach Rick
05-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Very good! You get an A!
Next question--
The Rhode Island State House dome is the second largest unsupported marble dome in the world. What is number one?

Saint Peters Basilica

Now for extra credit...it is the over all fourth largest dome after St. Peters Basilica, Minnesota State Capitol, and the Taj Mahol

I am a technology teacher in Pawtucket, and if you can't tell a coach too;) ....

ILoveMyDVC
05-05-2007, 09:52 AM

Hey there,
We are in Hope Valley- members since '94. Any kids at Chariho?

Coach Rick
05-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Very good! You get an A!
Next question--

Ok, so can a teacher ask another teacher a question?

Where was the first shot of the American Revolution heard?

:surfweb:

Lisa0503
05-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Ok, so can a teacher ask another teacher a question?

Where was the first shot of the American Revolution heard?

:surfweb:
I want to play!!!! Would that be Pawtuxet Village with the burning of the Gaspee???

I am a lurker on this thread since I have been transplanted in CT. I was born at Lyin-In Hospital and raised in EG, RI. DH is from Hoxie in Warwick. I never thought I would ever leave but when DH & I were ready to buy our first house 3 yrs ago, prices drove me over the line so now I am 10 min over the border in CT but still shop on Rte 2 in Warwick ;) When people ask me where I live, I still say RI...DH has to correct me

Coach Rick
05-05-2007, 11:42 AM
I want to play!!!! Would that be Pawtuxet Village with the burning of the Gaspee???

When people ask me where I live, I still say RI...DH has to correct me

Close, it's actually Namquid Point in Warwick, and yes it was Joseph Bucklin who fired the first shot and wounded Lieutenant Dudingston of the British Royal Navy, and commander of the Gaspee in the early morning hours of June 10, 1772.

It was Captain Lindsey who lured the gaspee on to the sand bar off Namquid Point by leading Dudingston on a chase up Narragansett Bay from Newport. Lyndsey turned sharp to the west and Dudingston thought for sure he had him, and tacked in a straight line and grounded his ship making it easy pickings for the Rhody's to attack under cover of night.

It was Pawtuxet Village that the wounded Dudingston was transported to and assisted back to health. He later became "Rear Admiral" of the Royal Navy later in the war.

Hey, once a Rhody, always a Rhody, no matter where you move to!

Muushka
05-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Does anyone remember when they removed Roger Williams from the top of the state house and could not get him back on?

I remember the Almacs at Hoxie "Faw Cawnes", we used to shop there.

(Faw=four and cawnes=corners, my lame attempt at "Rhode Island-ese)

roadtripper
05-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Hey Coach Rick--
I'm from MA, as I said, so we don't "count" the Gaspee! We have a place called Lexington and Concord up here that we're fond of.;)
Tolman or Shea?

Lisa0503
05-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Hey, once a Rhody, always a Rhody, no matter where you move to!Yes, you can take the girl out of RI but you can't take the RI out of the girl! :cool1: I do miss being close to a hot weiner joint though... :sad2:

kt-scarlett
05-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Does anyone remember when they removed Roger Williams from the top of the state house and could not get him back on?

I remember the Almacs at Hoxie "Faw Cawnes", we used to shop there.

(Faw=four and cawnes=corners, my lame attempt at "Rhode Island-ese)

Do you mean The Independent Man? Okay, here's a question, where is there an exact replica of the Independent Man displayed?

Re: Hoxie Four Corners, this is the Dave's Marketplace that I shop at all the time. It's across the street from my daughter's dance lessons in the old building where Tuffy's Aquarium used to be.

Mary

Muushka
05-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Do you mean The Independent Man? Okay, here's a question, where is there an exact replica of the Independent Man displayed?

Re: Hoxie Four Corners, this is the Dave's Marketplace that I shop at all the time. It's across the street from my daughter's dance lessons in the old building where Tuffy's Aquarium used to be.

Mary

Yes!! What a dork I am. I used to make fun of people who thought it was Roger Williams! It has been 21 years since I lived there, so I need a little grace! So where else is it displayed?

jonestavern
05-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Mary

He's at the Warwick Mall. Somewhere I have a picture of my brothers and I taken next to the real Independent Man when he was taken down a few years (OK... decades) ago for a little touch up, and it was at that time that they made the replica.

Chris
Formerly of Warwick and North Kingstown

Coach Rick
05-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey Coach Rick--
I'm from MA, as I said, so we don't "count" the Gaspee! We have a place called Lexington and Concord up here that we're fond of.;)
Tolman or Shea?

Well of course you don't. ;) But of course the bending of the truth is why Roger left Ma. and founded RI...:cool1:

Keough...Yep, all girls....:scared1:

roadtripper
05-06-2007, 10:40 AM
But of course the bending of the truth is why Roger left Ma. and founded RI...:cool1:
Touche! You guys in RI definitely get credit as the most religously tolerant colony.:thumbsup2

ro80
05-06-2007, 09:40 PM
subscribing again!!:flower3:

pinktales
05-07-2007, 02:13 AM
RI gal here in Warwick! Born in the "bucket". Raised in Attleboro, MA. Spent 1 year in CA , bounced back to Attleboro then Pawtucket, and finally now in Warwick..... though looking for a house in more south RI now.

Been a DVC member since 2005 and love it! Going on my next trip for my 29th Bday in 3 weeks. Staying at BCV then Poly. Can't wait, my first time staying in those resorts. :cloud9:

P.S. Got some DEL's in the freezer! Yummy! :p

Go PBruins! :cheer2:

Muushka
05-07-2007, 08:01 AM
What is the bucket?

Coach Rick
05-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Go PBruins! :cheer2:

Yippee, a hockey fan...now can you tell which sport I coach?:rolleyes1

Muushka
05-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Close, it's actually Namquid Point in Warwick, and yes it was Joseph Bucklin who fired the first shot and wounded Lieutenant Dudingston of the British Royal Navy, and commander of the Gaspee in the early morning hours of June 10, 1772.

It was Captain Lindsey who lured the gaspee on to the sand bar off Namquid Point by leading Dudingston on a chase up Narragansett Bay from Newport. Lyndsey turned sharp to the west and Dudingston thought for sure he had him, and tacked in a straight line and grounded his ship making it easy pickings for the Rhody's to attack under cover of night.

It was Pawtuxet Village that the wounded Dudingston was transported to and assisted back to health. He later became "Rear Admiral" of the Royal Navy later in the war.

Hey, once a Rhody, always a Rhody, no matter where you move to!

Oops, sorry I didn't see this post until just now. I lived on Namquid Drive in Warwick. And off of Namquid Drive was Gaspee Point (sandbar in the bay). Were we calling that point the wrong thing or is Namquid Point somewhere else nearby?

Coach Rick
05-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Oops, sorry I didn't see this post until just now. I lived on Namquid Drive in Warwick. And off of Namquid Drive was Gaspee Point (sandbar in the bay). Were we calling that point the wrong thing or is Namquid Point somewhere else nearby?

I am sure after the historical burning of the Gaspee the name was changed, but as of 1772 it was Namquid point, at least by historical records I have seen. Yes that is the sandbar that Captain Lindsey cunningly lured Dudingston on to.

pinktales
05-08-2007, 01:10 PM
The bucket = Pawtucket

Kinda like the Dunk = The Dunkin Donuts Center

I'm going to a PBruins game tonight. Hoping they make it through this round! :cheer2:

XQIXX
05-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Hello Rhode Islanders,

I wanted to ask Rhode Islanders their opinion about visiting during the summer months June-Aug. How bad is the heat? Rain, hurricanes etc??
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
XQIXX

Monte Cristo
05-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Hello Rhode Islanders,

I wanted to ask Rhode Islanders their opinion about visiting during the summer months June-Aug. How bad is the heat? Rain, hurricanes etc??
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
XQIXX

We've been twice in July and once in August. The heat is unbearable...IMO. You have to always have water with you, look for shade, and run for the AC! Haven't been there for a hurricane though which is good.

Generally it is not my favorite time to go, but I am a person who doesn't like that kind of heat. Give me January and a sweatshirt and that's what I call a vacation!

pinktales
05-09-2007, 05:10 PM
I've been a few times in the summer months.... May, August and late Sept. And yes it is VERY hot and unbearable. :sunny: That being said, I always say I will never go back in the summer and still end up going then. As this year I am going to Disney in less than 3 weeks. But I wanted to go for my birthday. And then going again in the last couple days of Aug and into Sept. That time I will be going for the AKV as I want check it out. But my preferred time to go is during the F&W and MNSSHP. The temp is great and the extra stuff going on is fun. I have so far been lucky enough in all the times I have been so far not to get caught with a hurricane coming through.

P.S. PBruins won last night. Let's hope they can keep it up for tonights game! :cheer2:

Coach Rick
05-09-2007, 05:19 PM
P.S. PBruins won last night. Let's hope they can keep it up for tonights game! :cheer2:

:yay: Looked like a great game! Goalies, you can never trust them. :rotfl2:

We usually go in August, and yes it is SOOOOOOO hot. A couple years ago we went between all the hurricanes, and seems as though the hurricanes took all the hot humid weather with them that year, and it was absolutely beautiful!

I will be there albeit very brief, both the day before our cruise and the last day of our vacation time. We are staying in VB for two nights after our cruise then back to SSR for the last evening before coming home. 9 days and counting. :love:

kt-scarlett
05-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Hello Rhode Islanders,

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
XQIXX

We've been a few times in the summer, most often in late August, due to the kids' school schedules. And YES it is Africa Hot. Like walking into a hot and damp sheet when you step outside, even at 8 am. Breathing is a challenge. Ugh. Thankfully the kids are older now and we are not bound by school vacation weeks. Our next trip is planned in October for my birthday, the Food and Wine Fest and MNSSHP. Can't wait!

Oh! We were caught in WDW for Hurricane Charley, the first of the string of hurricanes that battered Orlando. We were in Epcot when it shut down and saw all the merchandise carts tethered to the ground, watched some CMs place boards across the bottom of the Innovention doors to prevent flooding, and saw the ticket booths all wrapped in cellophane. We had just moved that day from BWV to the Poly and had to stay inside the room that evening and our dinner was food from the Poly snack shop in the lobby. When the storm hit we watched from our balcony (where we were NOT supposed to be) :scared1: as a transformer across the lake blew and the MK went dark.:headache: The next day there were branches etc all over the grounds at the Poly and the pool was closed. We went to the MK that day ( IIRC it was the only park open) and were astounded at how well it handled the storm. Damage to MGM and Downtown Disney was more noticeable and sad.

I have to say that WDW handled the storm quite well and I would not let Hurricane Season stop me from visiting in that time frame.

Now the HEAT... well, that's another story.

Muushka
05-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Listen. You want to talk heat?? I was visiting my sister in RI last July (week of the 18th or so). I could not believe how hot it was there! I was eating at one of my favorite restaurants, Aunt Carrie's, and the sweat was pouring off of my head! And I could not, not order chowder and clam cakes. What could I do???? (other than sweat).

kt-scarlett
05-12-2007, 04:22 PM
:dogdance: :dogdance: :dogdance: Bump :cat: :cat: :cat:

Claroquesi
05-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Listen. You want to talk heat?? I was visiting my sister in RI last July (week of the 18th or so). I could not believe how hot it was there! I was eating at one of my favorite restaurants, Aunt Carrie's, and the sweat was pouring off of my head! And I could not, not order chowder and clam cakes. What could I do???? (other than sweat).

Speaking of "chowda" (Rhode Island style, I never knew there was such a thing!And the oyster crackers kept on coming....)

Muushka
05-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Is the RI style the clear broth?
White: New England and
Red: Manhattan, right? did I pass????

I love chowder. I only found 1 good place here in NC. And I don't work there any more. Wah....

Claroquesi
05-15-2007, 05:43 PM
A+

Now can you tell me where Valley's Restaurant was?

(Come on townies, I`m talking to you too...):idea:

Muushka
05-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Townies is E. Providence, right? I used to live there for a spell and I don't remember Valley's. Was it after 1986???

ILoveMyDVC
05-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Who has the RI plate "DISNEY"? I was behind you today on the on ramp to 95 S.

jonestavern
05-15-2007, 06:23 PM
I could be wrong here, but wasn't Valley's on Post Road adjacent to the airport (pretty close to the Post Road/Airport road intersection)?

For extra credit... What was the previous name of Airport Road?

Chris

Monte Cristo
05-15-2007, 07:09 PM

I wish it were me!:)

Muushka
05-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Yes! Valley's Steakhouse, right?

Former name of Airport rd, Ocupawtuxet Rd?
Probably spelled wrong.

Claroquesi
05-16-2007, 03:25 PM

I got me a low number plate(bragging).

Got the Valley`s right TOO! My hat is off to you!

iluvwdw18
05-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Yeah I have seen that too. And how about EPCOT have you seen that?

I kinda have a low number (104) what about you.

What did everyone think of the little storm that went through about 1/2hr ago? It was very windy and heavy rains here - no tornadoes!

Claroquesi
05-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah I have seen that too. And how about EPCOT have you seen that?

I kinda have a low number (104) what about you.

What did everyone think of the little storm that went through about 1/2hr ago? It was very windy and heavy rains here - no tornadoes!

3 digits, well I`ve been taken down a peg...a whole peg.;)

Monte Cristo
05-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Storm wasn't anything more than rain down here on the shore...we need it!

XQIXX
05-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I decided that I can't take the heat so I will stay out of Florida during the summer! I have been there in Oct, Feb, April. Oct and April hit 90's and I didn't like that, so I can't imagine what June-July-Aug are like. My kids are 10 and 8 so I still have a few more years to deal with Feb/April school vacations. I want to do Christmas but don't want to deal with those huge crowds. On the positive side, my kids are getting a new Principal next fall, so I can try and take them out during Oct or Nov(not Thanksgiving!)...We all want to go back so bad!
Wouldn't it be great if they offered DVC'ers free dining once!!! ::lmao:

XQIXX
07-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Any RI people going in Nov?

Coach Rick
07-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Yep, there are 14 of us going for Thanksgiving. Leaving on the 21st, coming back on the 27th. We will be at AKV. Can't wait!!!!

What are your dates?

chainkid
07-15-2007, 06:09 PM
We have a group of 28 RI folk going down on Nov22-Dec2 and staying at the BWV. We go every three years and rent a couple of grand villas and two bedroom units for one big happy family reunion(although in RI everyone lives near each other. Of course if you are a RI native you don't travel from Burrillville to Westerly unless you pack an overnight bag.

Claroquesi
07-15-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm still bragging about it. It's like a whole other world over there and I crossed into another state just to get there!:laughing:

Coach Rick
07-15-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm still bragging about it. It's like a whole other world over there and I crossed into another state just to get there!:laughing:

Yeah, well I just got home from the lost continent of Boston. :lmao:

Coach Rick
07-15-2007, 08:16 PM
We have a group of 28 RI folk going down on Nov22-Dec2 and staying at the BWV.

Well, your 28, and my 14 should pretty much empty the state. :rotfl2: Tell ya what, since I will be there already, please make sure you turn off the light in the state when you leave. :lmao:

kgkmom
07-17-2007, 10:18 PM

I actually met the woman who has 'FIGMNT'! I was so excited b/c Figment is one of my favorites! :figment:

RLRDA
07-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Any RI DVCers going in August?:)

Monte Cristo
07-18-2007, 02:16 PM

December here.

Mickey_Maniac
07-18-2007, 05:11 PM
We'll be there Aug 17 to the 26th. Split stay between BCV and Contemporary Atrium Club. Can't wait...

kgkmom
07-19-2007, 10:49 PM

DD and I will be there August 29-Sept. 2. Yippee!!!:banana:

XQIXX
07-20-2007, 06:59 AM
Please let me know what the weather is like.

RLRDA
07-20-2007, 03:14 PM
We'll be there August 18th - 27th !! Split stay between SSR & AKV. We're going to try to get to Summer on the Savanna while we are there (I think it's 8/23? - the last one) :banana:

JennyMominRI
07-26-2007, 12:59 PM
I will be an owner in 7-10 days :cool1: :cool1:

pinktales
08-11-2007, 04:50 PM
We're going Aug. 30 - Sept 14. First 2 days at OKW then on to AKV for the rest of the stay. Can't wait to see the new DVC rooms there! Will be my first stay at AKV/L too so looking forward to waking up and seeing the animals out my balcony!

We'll also be going again in Oct. - Nov 2. Staying the last week at BWV and want to book the first at one of the Port Orleans as I haven't been there before and wanted to try it out. Been waiting hoping a AP rate will come out for then for the PO.

It's great to see so many RI'ers will be there then! :dance3:

kgkmom
08-12-2007, 02:53 PM

This will be my fourth trip (I think) during August. It's absolutely as hot as everyone says, and more humid. We've found that drinking water *all day* is the key. You have to drink even when you don't think you're thirsty. A quick drink every half hour keeps the heat stroke away!

There's usually a rain storm each day-sometimes for about 15 minutes, sometimes about 2 hours! We take the ponchos or umbrellas, and just keep going!

Stopping any time you feel the need is important too. We love going in August because it's both my and my DD's birthdays, and the crowds are much, much smaller due to kids going back to school mid-August in the South. The park hours are still long, which is great for taking mid-afternoon naps and swims and then heading back to the parks.

August is great!

XQIXX
08-12-2007, 07:51 PM
I think November trip may be the last with the Disney Dining Plan. They should have left it alone!!!:sad2: :cry:

RLRDA
09-08-2007, 01:28 PM

We were at WDW for a 9 night stay, 8/18 to 8/27. The weather was, well, hot of course ~~ 95+ during the day, mid-70's at night. We were 6 days into the trip when we realized we hadn't had any of the passing thunderstorms that usually take place in Florida. The only time we had rain was the last 3 nights....it started during dinner (thankfully after we had gotten to the restaurants) and lasted 1-2 hours.

I know many would never travel to WDW in August, but I'd keep going. The crowds weren't that heavy, wait times were short ,if any. You just have to make sure you take a break mid-day to relax in the room or by the pool, when it's hottest.

Telcogirl
09-08-2007, 08:42 PM
We are going in November 9-12, staying at SSR, but waitlisted for BWV!

:cheer2: GO PATS! :cheer2:

XQIXX
09-08-2007, 11:21 PM
We are going in November 9-12, staying at SSR, but waitlisted for BWV!

:cheer2: GO PATS! :cheer2:

We are going Nov 9-17th Animal Kingdom Villas.

bearpele
09-09-2007, 01:04 AM
Aloha,
To our Native Rhode Islanders:) . Both my husband and I are from Cranston. My husband is in the Air Force and we still call Rhode Island home even though we have lived all over the world. Our families still reside in Rhode Island and will be joining us in October for the "family reunion".

Until we meet again,

kgkmom
09-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Aloha,
To our Native Rhode Islanders:) . Both my husband and I are from Cranston. My husband is in the Air Force and we still call Rhode Island home even though we have lived all over the world. Our families still reside in Rhode Island and will be joining us in October for the "family reunion".

Until we meet again,

Hey, there, bearpele! My DH and I are also originally from Cranston, and even though we were in High School in the '80s, neither one of us had 'big hair'.:rotfl:

We love going in October. The weather is fantastic. Have a great time!

RLRDA
09-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Anything new going on with Rhode Island DVCers?? Anyone taking a trip soon? Or just get back?

Coach Rick
09-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Anything new going on with Rhode Island DVCers?? Anyone taking a trip soon? Or just get back?

We are going for Thanksgiving. November 21-27. Got my adr's for Tony's Town Square, and the tickets for MVMCP the same night. CP dinner ressies at Le Celier, and then David Robinison will be doing the reading. Then Boma another night. There are 14 of us, and we'll be staying at AKV, except for Sis who will be at BCV. Can't wait....

RLRDA
09-21-2007, 10:03 PM
We are going for Thanksgiving. November 21-27. Got my adr's for Tony's Town Square, and the tickets for MVMCP the same night. CP dinner ressies at Le Celier, and then David Robinison will be doing the reading. Then Boma another night. There are 14 of us, and we'll be staying at AKV, except for Sis who will be at BCV. Can't wait....

I'm not familiar with all the different abbreviations....what are "CP dinner ressies"? We tried to get reservations at Le Cellier (never been) when we were there in August but the only openings they had were 9pm and later!:sad1: Oh well, better luck next time. Sounds like a great trip planned for Thanksgiving.....have a wonderful time!

Coach Rick
09-22-2007, 07:19 AM
I'm not familiar with all the different abbreviations....what are "CP dinner ressies"? We tried to get reservations at Le Cellier (never been) when we were there in August but the only openings they had were 9pm and later!:sad1: Oh well, better luck next time. Sound like a great trip planned for Thanksgiving.....have a wonderful time!

Thanks....CP is Candlelight Procession. I have learned that you really have to make ressies for dinner at the more popular restaurants well in advance. I actually wanted a later sitting, but they simply weren't available, and I made these ressies back in July. With WDW poised to set an all time record for attendance (I think DVC has something to do with that), call early, call often. ;)

Claroquesi
10-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Just booked a long weekend in October!

"Columbus day is better than Christmas!" Anyone? Anyone?:confused3

XQIXX
10-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Hello,
We went last Colombus Day weekend and EPCOT is crowded due to Food and Wine Festival. We had a great time! Heading back in 38 days..can't wait!:yay:

fmed845
10-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Looks like quite a few Rhode Islander's. Going in Dec. 5th-13th. Staying at AKV and OKW.

XQIXX
10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
I am heading down Nov 9-17 at AKV.I also have BWV for April.It seems that MA has the week after as their school vacation week so I am hoping for less crowds.:rotfl:

Monte Cristo
10-22-2007, 09:09 PM
We'll be there for Christmas....the first one away from RI! The WHOLE family is going too so that should be interesting!

chiroguydc
10-22-2007, 09:52 PM
We call North Providence home while we're waiting for our next trip to our other "home".

We own 230 points at OKW, and just bought in this past August 2007!

11/24/07 - 12/2/07 @ SSR
2/29/08 - 3/1/08 @ BWV (ESPN the Weekend!)

RLRDA
10-23-2007, 10:46 AM
We'll be back in May 2008 for 5 nights at BCV! We're looking forward to it since we've never stayed at BCV and from what everyone says here....it sounds fabulous!

Anyone else going in May??

Denise W
10-23-2007, 06:31 PM
I just saw this thread! We have 350 points at BWV, have owned since 1998.

We live in Barrington (where my DH grew up). Our youngest just started college. We are going on our first trip "home" by ourselves at the end of January!!!

Glad to see so many locals here!

Denise :)

MaryAnnDVC
03-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Just found this. Fun thread! I read through the whole thing because I wasn't sure if I had posted before. :rolleyes: Oh! We were caught in WDW for Hurricane Charley, the first of the string of hurricanes that battered Orlando. We were in Epcot when it shut down and saw all the merchandise carts tethered to the ground, watched some CMs place boards across the bottom of the Innovention doors to prevent flooding, and saw the ticket booths all wrapped in cellophane. We had just moved that day from BWV to the Poly and had to stay inside the room that evening and our dinner was food from the Poly snack shop in the lobby. When the storm hit we watched from our balcony (where we were NOT supposed to be) :scared1: as a transformer across the lake blew and the MK went dark.:headache: The next day there were branches etc all over the grounds at the Poly and the pool was closed. We went to the MK that day ( IIRC it was the only park open) and were astounded at how well it handled the storm. Damage to MGM and Downtown Disney was more noticeable and sad.

I have to say that WDW handled the storm quite well and I would not let Hurricane Season stop me from visiting in that time frame.

Now the HEAT... well, that's another story.We were there for Hurrican Charley too. The kids and I arrived the day before, and DH arrived that day. He called from the plane before takeoff, saying they announced that they were leaving on schedule but might get diverted. I remember the anxiety in the air! We went to Winn Dixie to buy coolers in case we lost power, and candles...the only candles left were scented; it was pretty funny, all these people standing around sniffing candles to make sure that if they needed to use them, they were going to smell good!

We went to MGM 45 minutes before it closed early, and then left to pick DH up at the airport. Had no idea what his travel situation was, but figured we'd go ahead and be there IF the plane arrived. It did, and boy, was I relieved. It had already started to rain tho, and his clothes got soaked through the suitcase just from transporting it from the plane.

We had always stayed in deluxe or DVC resorts (or partial trips offsite), but this time we stayed at Pop Century for a few days before moving to BWV. During the hurricane, I was on the DIS reading threads about singalongs and free food in the BWV lobby, while I was listening to a bunch of teenaged girls screaming and giggling on the Pop Century balconies! Ugh! Killed me! :laughing:

We were impressed that Pop never lost power, and were surprised the next day to see all the trees down. A few days later, we tried to go to a store offsite, and there were no traffic lights and tons of damage; it was amazing how well prepared Disney was. The day we had arrived, the kids and I drove around Celebration, and then we went back a few days later with DH; what a contrast between pre-storm and after. Yeah I have seen that too. And how about EPCOT have you seen that? I've seen the EPCOT plate! :yay:

I'm not a native RIer (originally from NJ, moved to MA with parents), but have lived here since '79, interrupted once for a year and a half after college when I lived in NY state. DH is a native (Lincoln) and I lived in Lincoln during college (near St Judes). We live in the northeast corner of RI now ;) after an initial couple of years in East Providence.

It was fun reading this thread to my DH...he had a few laughs.

Oh...about summer/August at WDW. We used to go every year for Thanksgiving weekend at Universal, then the following week at Disney...a wonderful time! Then, it got too difficult to take the kids out of school the older they got, so we started doing August with them. I HATE heat, but somehow, heat at WDW is a whole lot easier to deal with then schlepping around RI in the heat doing everyday activities, KWIM? Having been there as often as we have over the years, it's much easier to play it by ear and not worry about "seeing it all" if we want to just slow down and relax.

One more thing...BWV, 250 pts, Feb 2001. :)

RLRDA
03-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Oh...about summer/August at WDW. We used to go every year for Thanksgiving weekend at Universal, then the following week at Disney...a wonderful time! Then, it got too difficult to take the kids out of school the older they got, so we started doing August with them. I HATE heat, but somehow, heat at WDW is a whole lot easier to deal with then schlepping around RI in the heat doing everyday activities, KWIM? Having been there as often as we have over the years, it's much easier to play it by ear and not worry about "seeing it all" if we want to just slow down and relax.

One more thing...BWV, 250 pts, Feb 2001. :)

We love August as well. Our oldest is in 5th grade, middle DS is in 3rd so it's getting harder to go during the school year. We went last August and I think we'll go in August '09 but we do have a trip planned for May '08 (almost at the 30 day mark!) They'll miss 5 days of school unfortunately but have been relatively healthy and have not missed more than 1-2 days this year. They're also get decent grades so I can't see it having a major impact (I think this is just my conscience talking :rotfl: ). I just don't think I could ever go to WDW during February or April vacations. So we either bite the bullet and take them out every couple of years or go in August. I'm not a 'heat' person either but you're right, heat on vacation in WDW is somehow easier to tolerate!:goodvibes

Coach Rick
03-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Ok, so AKV came up for points, so I just had to buy some there. Now I have more points than I know what to do with. :cool1: Remedy, take more trips, buy AP's to reduce the cost of entering parks, and enjoy. So, I have booked 4th of July at SSR. This will be somewhat traumatic for a former "Bristolian". What, 4th of July out of Bristol? :scared1: Through high school I used to march it twice, once with the high school band, and once with the drum and bugle corps. Well, I guess I will just have to suffer.

Then it's back again in August for a 3 day stay at AKV, then a 4 night cruise aboard the Wonder, and then to SSR for 3 more days. Plunked in the middle of these two trips is a week in Newport. It's the annual "boys week away", when my son and I spend the week together in Newport without those nagging females at home. :lmao:

Muushka
03-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Ah yes. Who could forget the "Bristol Day Parade"??

First and last time I ever went to it was 7/4/76. Oy. Do they still paint the stripes down the middle of the street red white and blue?

RLRDA
03-27-2008, 12:12 PM
I am ashamed to say that I've lived in RI 36 of my 39 years (3yrs in Attleboro after getting married) and have never been to the Bristol 4th of July Parade :eek: ! Must put that on my list of things to do!! I think being in WDW for any holiday must be pretty awesome....somthing tells me you won't be wishing you were in Bristol while you're there.

MaryAnnDVC
03-27-2008, 12:23 PM
I am ashamed to say that I've lived in RI 36 of my 39 years (3yrs in Attleboro after getting married) and have never been to the Bristol 4th of July Parade :eek: !Around 28 years here in RI and I've never been to it either. Just sounds like a lot of WORK to get there early and find a spot. I welcome any new friendships with people who live on the parade route tho. http://bestsmileys.com/hyper/7.gif

Coach Rick
03-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Ah yes. Who could forget the "Bristol Day Parade"??

First and last time I ever went to it was 7/4/76. Oy. Do they still paint the stripes down the middle of the street red white and blue?

Oh yeah, they do. I no longer live in Bristol, but I believe they had to get a special permit from the RI DOT, since regulations dictate that there be two solid yellow lines on Hope St.

76, ahh, that was a special year for me. It was the year I graduated from "Bristol High School" (yeah, now Mt. Hope:rolleyes: ) So yes, you did see me twice that year. Once as Drum Major of the band, and once playing a bugle in the Valley Airs Drum and Bugle Corps. That was the most attendance of any parade. I believe they estimated the attendance at 2 million, and that is also the first year they extended the parade to its current 3 mile length. Prior to that it was 2 miles, and just went in a big circle starting on High & Franklin St, going left Washington, then left on Hope, and turning left on High ending at the common.

kathrna
03-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Boy, I went through the whole thread and I didn't see one Newporter (one mention about the Tennis Hall of Fame, but that's it). We were stationed in Newport for one glorious year. One year was not enough. But know that we've lived in Florida, I am completely convinced that I need to summer in Newport and winter in Florida. I now see why it's done. I'm sold! Sign me up!

kt-scarlett
03-27-2008, 02:43 PM
I have booked 4th of July at SSR.

Then it's back again in August for a 3 day stay at AKV,

then a 4 night cruise aboard the Wonder,

and then to SSR for 3 more days.

Plunked in the middle of these two trips is a week in Newport.

Rick, whatever your job is.... I want it. :rotfl2: Color me jealous. :sick:

Mary

kt-scarlett
03-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Around 28 years here in RI and I've never been to it either. Just sounds like a lot of WORK to get there early and find a spot. I welcome any new friendships with people who live on the parade route tho. http://bestsmileys.com/hyper/7.gif

50-something years here and I have never been to the Bristol parade either. :rotfl: Heck, I just made my first visit to Block Island (for one day) last summer. These things can't be rushed. :rotfl2:

MaryAnnDVC
03-27-2008, 02:57 PM
50-something years here and I have never been to the Bristol parade either. :rotfl: Heck, I just made my first visit to Block Island (for one day) last summer. These things can't be rushed. :rotfl2:Oh, I went to Block Island one time too! :rotfl: Actually, twice! Once before we had kids (that's the time I barfed my way from Galilee to Block Island and spent the rest of the day dreading the trip back), and the 2nd time (because DH actuallly talked me into getting back on that ferry) with oldest DD, who is now almost 20, when she was about a year old. She took her shoes off on the ferry and they got filthy, and I spent a large portion of the day looking for a store to buy a new pair of socks. Never did find one. Block Island is lovely, but I need civilization!

Coach Rick
03-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Rick, whatever your job is.... I want it. :rotfl2: Color me jealous. :sick:

Mary

School teacher, and believe me, I don't get to do this because of finances. I teach in a private school. :laughing: Thanks to smartly buying DVC, :thumbsup2 and those AP's, :thumbsup2 along with Southwest usually having some decent fares:thumbsup2 , I get to scratch the Disney itch:cool1: . Just leaves eating, and I gotta do that at home too. ;)

Monte Cristo
03-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Boy, I went through the whole thread and I didn't see one Newporter (one mention about the Tennis Hall of Fame, but that's it). We were stationed in Newport for one glorious year. One year was not enough. But know that we've lived in Florida, I am completely convinced that I need to summer in Newport and winter in Florida. I now see why it's done. I'm sold! Sign me up!

Just for you....I took this from my sailboat 2 summers ago...you must recognize the background.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/Monte_Cristo/12m1.jpg

Missy Bruin
03-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Hey everyone how are you all doing.Well my family and i are heading down to the world once again on june 29th -july 3rd we are taking the whole family and staying at the boardwalk.I am hoping also to come down again for the food and wine festival later in the year as well.By the way i am a huge providence bruins fan i have been a season ticket holder for sixteen years.We are going for the calder cup baby! See you all soon.MISSY BRUIN AND FAMILY

kt-scarlett
03-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Just for you....I took this from my sailboat 2 summers ago...you must recognize the background.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/Monte_Cristo/12m1.jpg

Sure do, that's my house. :rotfl2:

Monte Cristo, is that taken at or near Hazard's Beach?

gmboy95
03-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I am close.....so close......

RLRDA
03-28-2008, 03:52 PM
I am close.....so close......

.....to Rhode Island? Norton was close by when we lived in Attleboro for a few years. Then we got sucked right backed to RI! ;) It's a unique place, that's for sure.

kgkmom
03-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Heading down to WDW next week with a friend from Creeeaaanstin High School East days. She and I were lucky enough to be at CHSE during the high hair 80's!:scared1:

We're going just the two of us-no kids, no husbands-just the girls!:banana:

debaudrn
03-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Hey Denise W.
There are several of us on here from Barrington that are DVC owners! welcome.
Deb

Denise W
03-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks, I've only ever seen one person on here from Barrington, Joan S.

My husband grew up in Barrington, I moved here from Connecticut in tenth grade, and met him in high school. When we got married, we bought a house here and haven't moved yet.

I have been to one 4th of July parade (I think it was in 1984 or 1984, we rode bikes there).

I've been to Block Island twice to visit my sister, who rents a house there for a week every summer. I think we are going to go see her this year for a day or two.

Denise :)

Monte Cristo
03-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Sure do, that's my house. :rotfl2:

Monte Cristo, is that taken at or near Hazard's Beach?

That's the Inn at Castle Hill. I think Hazard Beach is on the other side of Newport.

That can be your house if I can have the motor yacht!

I really took the pic for the 12m. Beautiful boats.

gmboy95
03-28-2008, 10:54 PM
.....to Rhode Island? Norton was close by when we lived in Attleboro for a few years. Then we got sucked right backed to RI! ;) It's a unique place, that's for sure.

Yes...providence is definitely the biggest city near us. the only time i go to boston is for red sox and celtics games. All my trips to the city are in providence, and my wife loves that damn mall!!!!:headache:

XQIXX
03-28-2008, 11:36 PM
I am heading down to BWV April 11th. Any other RI people going then?

RLRDA
03-30-2008, 02:45 PM
I am heading down to BWV April 11th. Any other RI people going then?

Not then...but not long after. We will be there May 4th thru May 9th at BCV and were just informed that the slide at SAB will be closed for refurb starting the 5th :sad1:

Enjoy your trip!

PADISFAM
03-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Hah hah, yes, it is in fact where all the Canucks (of French-Canadian descent, myself included) live that say 'side by each', 'do my stores', 'throw the baby down the stairs, his clothes..'. It's like a being in Montreal.

Items of note here are;
One the best high school hockey teams in the U.S., Mount Saint Charles. (our state champs for the last 25 years!).
Ye' Olde English Fish & Chips (wow are they good)
Chans Restaurant (good restaurant, great Jazz spot)

I lived in Exeter while in college as well.

We've been 150 pt. BCV members for about 3 weeks after returning from WDW in April. I can't wait to go back, Jan. 11-16, 2003!!!!

Regards,
John

I MY GOSH!!!:rotfl: I allmost fell off my chair LOL!! I grew up in Woonsocket. I move away after college 20 years ago. You've just taken me down memory lane. I to am a Canuck. My Mom spoke French at home when I was young. Didn't play for the Mount, played against them. We didn't win:mad:
We just joined DVC in November @ AKV:banana: I have never been so happy to write a check that big!!

XQIXX
03-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Not then...but not long after. We will be there May 4th thru May 9th at BCV and were just informed that the slide at SAB will be closed for refurb starting the 5th :sad1:

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks! Enjoy your trip as well! Sorry to hear about SAB being closed. Where are they letting you go instead?

RLRDA
03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
We just joined DVC in November @ AKV:banana: I have never been so happy to write a check that big!!

Congrats on your recent purchase...you'll love it!

Thanks! Enjoy your trip as well! Sorry to hear about SAB being closed. Where are they letting you go instead?

SAB will be open only the slide will be closed, so we'll make the best of it. They did say there would be a shuttle over to BWV if people wanted to use that slide but I can't see us doing that. We arrive on the 4th (day before the refurb starts) so our kids will just have to use the slide all afternoon and evening until they turn into human prunes!

XQIXX
03-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Congrats on your recent purchase...you'll love it!

SAB will be open only the slide will be closed, so we'll make the best of it. They did say there would be a shuttle over to BWV if people wanted to use that slide but I can't see us doing that. We arrive on the 4th (day before the refurb starts) so our kids will just have to use the slide all afternoon and evening until they turn into human prunes!

That sounds like a good plan!:rotfl: I am trying to decide if we should do a water park or not....This will be our first stay at BWV so we will see how the pool is.

RLRDA
06-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Any RIers heading down to WDW soon??

kdepot
06-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Hi We just bought SSR on our last trip to WDW. Got our big blue box last week and read every word. Booked our first trip for 09 and planning a second.
I see in the magazine we are 1200 strong in RI. Now it's 1201.

Remember to go from Cumberland to the beach you have to leave early in the morning, fill the gas tank. and pack a lunch.
( for you non-Rhodeislanders its 32 miles from one end of the state to the other ) No school Foster - Gloster

RLRDA
06-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi We just bought SSR on our last trip to WDW. Got our big blue box last week and read every word. Booked our first trip for 09 and planning a second.

Remember to go from Cumberland to the beach you have to leave early in the morning, fill the gas tank. and pack a lunch.
( for you non-Rhodeislanders its 32 miles from one end of the state to the other ) No school Foster - Gloster

Congratulations on your purchase.....is your first trip at SSR?? It's a great resort!

You forgot to mention that you have to stop for Del's or Allie's Doughnuts on the way to the beach!

Coach Rick
06-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Any RIers heading down to WDW soon??

Yep, me..::yes:: I will be there for the 4th of July...Missing the BIG parade in my former hometown. :scared1:

Telcogirl
06-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Headed down July 23rd! :cool1: :cool1:

SSR is a wonderful resort!

MLK-RI
06-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Not until October, but looking forward to F&W Fest!

Congrats to kdepot and welcome aboard!:woohoo:

kdepot
06-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Yes we toured last month and bought that week.

Looking :yay: forward to going home

RLRDA
06-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Ywes we toured last month and bought thet week.

Looking :yay: forward to going home

I must be slow today.....I just noticed your trip plans in your signature!

Muushka
06-12-2008, 12:47 PM

:lmao: My X-MIL used to pack up for the summer to go from Providence (Fox Point) to West Greenwich (Lake Mishnock). And would not return until right after Labor Day. And if God forbid, she had to go "to the city" for something, it was a very big deal!

Ahh, the RI memories.:cloud9:

rcgal2
06-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Hello there! I grew up in Lincoln RI & now live in North Providence. We call Saratoga Springs home. Glad to see so many people from RI!

chepic
06-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Just booked OKW for March '09 for the boys birthdays....I know it's not this year, but we used the time in '08 for the cruise.

che

XQIXX
06-12-2008, 03:55 PM
I am thinking of heading down June 28th -July 4th but I don't know if I can take the heat!

Coach Rick
06-12-2008, 04:09 PM
I am thinking of heading down June 28th -July 4th but I don't know if I can take the heat!

90 degrees here, or 90 degrees there...Only real difference is, there you are at Disney World!:thumbsup2

At least that's the way I see it. I am hoping to leave on the 2nd. That as the plan, but I play in a drum and bugle corps, and we are supposed to be playing the 3rd in Bristol at the contest there. I changed my flight to the 4th, but DW and kids are going down the 2nd still. :(

Frisina04
06-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Me, wife and daughter from east providence here, dvc ssr since 2005

Missy Bruin
06-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Hey everyone
Missy and family here we are going home once again this time it's to the boardwalk two bedroom nine of us.Coming down on June 29- July 3.I can't wait i am looking so foward to it.

Then i am coming down again in october first timers for the food and wine festival on october 24- october 27.I am coming for the eat the beat concerts to see EXPOSE' three shows are night looking foward to it.See you all soon
MISSY AND FAMILY

RLRDA
06-13-2008, 09:05 AM
We won't be heading down until late September - 9/28 to 10/3. We plan on going to MNNSHP and checking out F&W, too! :thumbsup2

RLRDA
09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
It's been a few months....bumping this up!

Anyone heading down anytime soon??

Coach Rick
09-08-2008, 12:18 PM
It's been a few months....bumping this up!

Anyone heading down anytime soon??

I wish..This summer has been a disaster for us. We had two trips planned, and one cruise. While we did get the two trips in, I had to cancel my cruise. I was literally checking my bags to leave for the cruise when my sis called that my dad was taken to ICU at Westerly Hospital. I sent my DW and kids ahead, but they voted to wait till I could go to do the cruise. Well that week was when Fay was coming, so they had no room to stay due to us supposedly being on the Wonder, and WDW was at 102% capacity. Once dad was stabilized I headed down to get them situated, and I gotta say the CM's at SSR were phenomenal! They got us a 2br for the remainder of the week, and we made the best of it. Anyhow, I sure hope I can get down there soon. BTW, DCL allowed me to rebook the trip so I wouldn't loose anything. Very nice of them indeed.

chiroguydc
09-08-2008, 12:51 PM
So sad, not going until June 2008...but TO DISNEYLAND!

rcgal2
09-08-2008, 01:04 PM
I leave on the 14th for 5 nights at the Boardwalk. I can't wait!!:banana:
Our waitlist also got approved for December so I actually get to go twice. I so need a Disney fix!

pinktales
09-08-2008, 01:06 PM
I'll be heading down 9/20-10/4 staying at the Pop with free dining. This will be my first time for free dining as since I bought DVC I've been using that. But thought it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up this year. Though going from staying in 1 bedroom to a studio is going to be a change. :crowded: Those DVC 1 bedrooms really spoiled me! :snooty: :rotfl: Well I'll just have to make up for it on my Disney AKV Kidani trip next May. Can't wait to see what that looks like when it's finished! :woohoo:

LittleSeacow
09-08-2008, 04:01 PM
I just joined DVC a couple of months ago and I'm a RI girl. Born, raised, and still living in Pawtucket!
Why is it so hard to leave RI? :confused3

XQIXX
09-08-2008, 04:03 PM
We never made in down at the end of June. We really need a trip!! My Annual Passes expire in November and I know we won't get there before then. Taking the kids out of school is not an option so we are stuck with Feb/April vacations. Man I hope that Poweball kicks in for me!:rotfl: :rotfl:

Monte Cristo
09-08-2008, 08:06 PM
I wish..This summer has been a disaster for us. We had two trips planned, and one cruise. While we did get the two trips in, I had to cancel my cruise. I was literally checking my bags to leave for the cruise when my sis called that my dad was taken to ICU at Westerly Hospital. I sent my DW and kids ahead, but they voted to wait till I could go to do the cruise. Well that week was when Fay was coming, so they had no room to stay due to us supposedly being on the Wonder, and WDW was at 102% capacity. Once dad was stabilized I headed down to get them situated, and I gotta say the CM's at SSR were phenomenal! They got us a 2br for the remainder of the week, and we made the best of it. Anyhow, I sure hope I can get down there soon. BTW, DCL allowed me to rebook the trip so I wouldn't loose anything. Very nice of them indeed.

Hope you're dad is OK, Westerly is our home town. Daughter was born at Westerly Hospital and we love it here.

Well, we just got back last Thursday from a 4 night cruise on the Wonder. While the staff, the boat, and Castaway Cay were great, we are just not cruise people. We really didn't like it at all. Maybe when she's older....it's sad when the highlight of the trip was the 3 hours we spent at Down Town Disney killing time until our flight out. Rainforest Cafe was the best meal we had had all week!

We also have a trip planned for WDW for January. Can't wait for that!!

Coach Rick
09-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Hope you're dad is OK, Westerly is our home town. Daughter was born at Westerly Hospital and we love it here.

Well, we just got back last Thursday from a 4 night cruise on the Wonder. While the staff, the boat, and Castaway Cay were great, we are just not cruise people. We really didn't like it at all. Maybe when she's older....it's sad when the highlight of the trip was the 3 hours we spent at Down Town Disney killing time until our flight out. Rainforest Cafe was the best meal we had had all week!

We also have a trip planned for WDW for January. Can't wait for that!!

Thanks for the sentiment...Cool. My sister lives there. Nice community!

Wow, that shocks me. But then cruising isn't for everyone!

I know I will be taking my schools softball team there in March...Can't wait for that! Being an AD has its advantages...:)

Coach Rick
09-08-2008, 08:20 PM
I just joined DVC a couple of months ago and I'm a RI girl. Born, raised, and still living in Pawtucket!
Why is it so hard to leave RI? :confused3

I did, and came back...there is no place like it ANYWHERE...trust me! I teach in Pawtucket.:teacher: :)

Coach Rick
09-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Don't know if any of you remember Crescent Park, but here is a neat site I just found. http://members.cox.net/crescentpark/midway.htm Brought back lots of memories... I only wish I didn't have to jump on a plane every time I wanted to treat the kids to some fun.

Muushka
09-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I remember the carousel at Crescent Park. That thing was FAST! Like a circular flat roller coaster.

LittleSeacow
09-09-2008, 05:12 PM
I did, and came back...there is no place like it ANYWHERE...trust me! I teach in Pawtucket.:teacher: :)

I also teach in Pawtucket! :teacher:

RLRDA
09-09-2008, 06:29 PM
... I only wish I didn't have to jump on a plane every time I wanted to treat the kids to some fun.

If only Rocky Point were still around :goodvibes !

chepic
09-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Well, looks like Brady is out for the season....guess we won't have a repeat of this again....

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/chepicard/22440007-1.jpg

Cheryl

Coach Rick
09-09-2008, 06:39 PM
I also teach in Pawtucket! :teacher:

Cool, where do you teach?

I'm at Keough...

TomD
09-09-2008, 08:02 PM
If only Rocky Point were still around :goodvibes !

Originally form Westerly and live in NH now but I remember Rocky Point. Great place! Now I bring my kids to Canobie Lake Park and think of Rocky Point:thumbsup2

Monte Cristo
09-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Well, looks like Brady is out for the season....guess we won't have a repeat of this again....

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/chepicard/22440007-1.jpg

Cheryl

That's a great time right there......we watched the Pats in a playoff game at ESPN on the boardwalk. What a time that was too....roof was blowing off the place.

LittleSeacow
09-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Cool, where do you teach?

I'm at Keough...

I'm at Baldwin Elementary - 6th grade. Small world :goodvibes

chepic
09-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Monte Cristo

It was a fantastic game....and we were all yelling like crazy people. It's a good thing we didn't go the week of Superbowl....we would have all cried:sad2:

che

kgkmom
09-13-2008, 08:49 AM
I just went in April, and I'm jonesing for another trip! I'm going to call next week for our trip next August, but that's for NEXT AUGUST!:scared1:

It's soooooooo far away. :sad1: The past couple of years my DD and I have managed a trip about every six months or so, which was great. Nice long weekends in the FL sun! Next year's trip is a week long trip for DS's first trip, so I need all of my points.

I think the solution here is to buy more points. :thumbsup2

Telcogirl
09-14-2008, 11:22 AM

Cheryl

Let's have some faith in this team. :cheer2: :cheer2: I was at the game last Sunday and the devastation went thru the stadium like the plague and those were my first thoughts too. We still have the rest of the season to play and we have a TERRIFIC team that can get the job done and send the Pats to Tampa in February. :thumbsup2

As you can see from my ticker, I am not changing my plans for 2009!!!!!

JasonDVC
09-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm at Baldwin Elementary - 6th grade. Small world :goodvibes

I'm a property manager and one of my sites is directly across the street from the playground at Baldwin. We'll be doing a lot of remodeling there starting early '09.

It's nice to see others from Pawtucket. I figured there were other RI'ers on this site so as we say in Rhode Island, "Hawaya?".

BTW, my wife is a substitute teacher in Smithfield (hopefully full-time soon).

chepic
09-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Let's have some faith in this team. :cheer2: :cheer2: I was at the game last Sunday and the devastation went thru the stadium like the plague and those were my first thoughts too. We still have the rest of the season to play and we have a TERRIFIC team that can get the job done and send the Pats to Tampa in February. :thumbsup2

As you can see from my ticker, I am not changing my plans for 2009!!!!!

Oh, I am not giving up on them....look how Brady got his start!! We have spent 3 Superbowls in Disney, and it is always a great time!!! Have fun, and hopefully we will make it there!!1

cheryl

peanmunch
09-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Born and raised RI girl here!!! We live in Cranston aka creeeaaaanston...lol:lmao: We just bought a BWV resale (after staying four years on cash:sick: ...ouch!) I finally convienced DH that we would be staying there every year so buy now..or PAY later!:scared1: !!

Lori :dance3:

Monte Cristo
09-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Born and raised RI girl here!!! We live in Cranston aka creeeaaaanston...lol:lmao: We just bought a BWV resale (after staying four years on cash:sick: ...ouch!) I finally convienced DH that we would be staying there every year so buy now..or PAY later!:scared1: !!

Lori :dance3:

Back in high school, did you have the high hair too?????:rotfl:

chepic
09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Back in high school, did you have the high hair too?????:rotfl:

It's not high hair....it's BIG hair...:goodvibes

che

peanmunch
09-26-2008, 01:06 PM
It's not high hair....it's BIG hair...:goodvibes

che

Oh yea!! bring on the aquanet hairspray:worship: !!!!!!! the bigger the better!

:rotfl:

Lori

Coach Rick
10-06-2008, 07:32 PM
So sad...My best friend passed away two weeks ago. Sure he began my life as my father, in my teen years he became my dad, and when I started having kids of my own he became my best friend. I am so thankful to DVC. The past few years we have spent THE best vacations ever together. Mostly 11 of us. Thankfully mom has indicated she still wants to vacation with us, but it will be hard going forward, but I know he wants us to go on. He told me so many times in the past few weeks. I have many things to be thankful for. I did make it a mission to see him the day before he slipped into a coma, and I was with him holding his hand along with my sister and mom when he left us. He had lost the use of his legs the last two months, and that bothered him very much. The night after he passed he came to me in a dream to show me his legs were fine now, and he had been all around WDW, and he assured me everything was ok now. Anyhow, I am sorry to add some of my sorrow to this happy place, but dad was a great Rhode Islander, and I wanted to pay tribute to him here....

Monte Cristo
10-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Sorry to hear about that Rick. Lots of memories for you to cherish.

peanmunch
10-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Rick...I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you, your sister and your mom were there to help your dad feel peace and love around him. Sending prayers to you and your family

Lori

Muushka
10-06-2008, 09:42 PM
What a great Dad he must have been. And what a great tribute you paid to him. A good son....:hug:

RLRDA
10-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Coach Rick, so sorry for the loss of your dad. Sounds like you have many memories of your family sharing time together at WDW - what a special thing to have. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

Coach Rick
10-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts... :) Things are looking up...Mom wants to come on the cruise with us next August. I am so relieved that she is not just giving up! This was a cruise we were all supposed to go on this past August, so I am sure it will be bittersweet!

I just found cool new site. Don't know if any of you have seen it yet, but I created a RI group on it. Go to www.disfriends.com. It's perfect for when you need something else Disney to do. Once you become a member, just go to meet, then groups and look for the Little Rhody group. Hope to catch you there too! :)

peanmunch
01-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi RI folks...just dug this up to see how everyone is doing...besides frozen;) ...lol!!!!!!!:rotfl: anyone have any upcomming Disney trips? How were your holidays? Did we ever have a RI dis meet?

Lori :surfweb:

ILoveMyDVC
01-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Not soon enough...going in June and hoping we don't get any more snow on school days.
First time driving to WDW.

JasonDVC
01-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi RI folks...just dug this up to see how everyone is doing...besides frozen;) ...lol!!!!!!!:rotfl: anyone have any upcomming Disney trips? How were your holidays? Did we ever have a RI dis meet?

Hi, Hawaya?

Next trip is a big family trip in June/July 2010. Possibly a VB trip in October (we'll see how things go)

I was thinking about a RI dis meet-up as well. I'll throw my hat in the ring to help make it happen.:thumbsup2

RLRDA
01-11-2009, 04:38 PM

We survived the holidays :santa: and are looking forward to our trip in August! Just waiting to add a few more days at BCV (?) at the 7 month mark (which is coming up soon) :thumbsup2 .

peanmunch
01-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi, Hawaya?

Next trip is a big family trip in June/July 2010. Possibly a VB trip in October (we'll see how things go)

I was thinking about a RI dis meet-up as well. I'll throw my hat in the ring to help make it happen.:thumbsup2

dis meet sounds like fun!!! A Saturday or Sunday afternoon, early spring...something fun...sounds good to me....let's all bounce some ideas around!! Anything to help me stop thinking about how cold it's going to be here in a few days:scared1:
Lori:yay:

chepic
01-12-2009, 09:05 AM
We like dismeets too....

We are headed to the house of mouse at the end of March for the boys birthdays....just made our AD yesterday....can't wait to go!!!

cheryl

rcgal2
01-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Santa brought us the 3 Night Disney Cruise which we leave for at the end of April followed by a few nights at the Boardwalk. I can't wait!!
I'd be interested in a RI dis meet-up:goodvibes

JasonDVC
01-12-2009, 09:17 AM
What would we need to set up a dis meet up?

location: someone's home; small hall rental; park, if in the summer; a rotation of sites; etc

date: perhaps we would need minimum 2-3 months of advanced notice. So we would be looking at April - May date range

discussion topics: photos; stories; trip planning tips; etc.

frequency: Should we hold one annually, semi-annually; quarterly?

anything else?

Should we invite neighbors from CT and Ma.?

Please give your thoughts. Let's see if we can make this happen. I think it would be great and a lot of fun.

Telcogirl
01-12-2009, 10:48 AM
What would we need to set up a dis meet up?

location: someone's home; small hall rental; park, if in the summer; a rotation of sites; etc

date: perhaps we would need minimum 2-3 months of advanced notice. So we would be looking at April - May date range

discussion topics: photos; stories; trip planning tips; etc.

frequency: Should we hold one annually, semi-annually; quarterly?

anything else?

Should we invite neighbors from CT and Ma.?

Please give your thoughts. Let's see if we can make this happen. I think it would be great and a lot of fun.

Do we know a ballpark number of Rhode Island DIS'ers? It would be cool to plan it once and see how it goes. Maybe we could all meet at Wright's Farm!!!!

chepic
01-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Do we know a ballpark number of Rhode Island DIS'ers? It would be cool to plan it once and see how it goes. Maybe we could all meet at Wright's Farm!!!!

I agree, Wrights Farm would be good, especially in the late spring, early summer. Well, there are 4 of us 2 adults, 2 kids. So you can put me on the list. How do you make on of those add on lists? I will have to investigate

cheryl

peanmunch
01-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I thought about Wrights farm too.If there are a lot of us we would be in the big downstaairs room. A small hall would work also..give the kids a chance to move around more. we are a family of four..two adults(at times...lol) and two boys 8 and 5. we are going to see the mouse May 6-16 staying at BWV as our first time HOME...after four stays on cash i finally connvienced dh to buy resale!
I'm not sure where/how to strat planning a meet but i am willing to try to help plan it. lets try to keep this post alive and hopefully more RI'ers will reply

Lori:surfweb:

JasonDVC
01-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Wright's Farm is a great place but won't it be too crowded and too noisy? Do they have a private party area?

Telcogirl
01-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Wright's Farm is a great place but won't it be too crowded and too noisy? Do they have a private party area?

It was just a thought since it's economical and oh so "Rhode Island". I bet if we had a definite number of people that were going to attend, they could accomondate us in the back room area.

JasonDVC
01-12-2009, 03:33 PM
I created a new thread where people can post their head count Meet-Up Sign Up (http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2057161)

JasonDVC
01-15-2009, 08:44 AM
The North End Cafe (http://www.northendcafe.net/index.html) in North Providence is easy to get to off 95 or 146. They also have a perfect sized banquet room in the basement. The food is very good and reasonably priced. Take a look, tell me what you think. If it looks OK with everyone I will contact them within the week for availability.

I was thinking Sunday April 12 around 1pm.

Thoughts? Opinions?

peanmunch
01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey Jason...first off thanks so much for taking this on!! :thumbsup2
The North End Cafe looks good to me...but then again I would be up for almost anywhere..lol. The only problem I see is with the date..don't know if you realized but that is Easter Sunday...probably not the best day to plan it on:flower1: The time of day is great though so those of us with younger kids won't have them out too late. I'm lol at myself thinking how i'm going to get my dh to this one..ummm no I don't know any one:confused3 but they dis:eek:..lol!

Lori

chepic
01-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah, Easter Sunday won't work for us either....May is a better month all round for any Sunday afternoon activity.

thanks for doing this!!1

che

peanmunch
01-15-2009, 04:27 PM
April/May are good for us...except sunday 10th (mothers day) and Sunday 17th

lori

JasonDVC
01-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Sounds like May is the preferred month. Let's go with Sunday May 3rd. May 10 is mother's day, peanmunch can't make it on the 17th and the 24th is Memorial Day weekend.

May 3rd sounds just about right. Please let me know if this OK with all of you. I would like to accomodate everyone as best as possible. Let me know.

peanmunch
01-16-2009, 03:43 PM
The date is great...now how to break the "news" :confused3 to dh...lol

Lori

Telcogirl
01-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Yes, I agree, that date is good for us, too.

...now how to break the "news" :confused3 to dh...lol

Lori

You can tell him you are going to meet some of the people that make his disney trips great! But, seriously, I am also in your shoes........:lmao: :lmao:

peanmunch
01-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Yes, I agree, that date is good for us, too.

You can tell him you are going to meet some of the people that make his disney trips great! But, seriously, I am also in your shoes........:lmao: :lmao:

lol...I think he about wants to tape my mouth shut at Disney when I say "the dis says......." or he rolls his eyes and say "oh did you read that on the dis!!":rotfl2: :confused3 :rolleyes1 . We did do a meet on a disney cruise two years ago and he went along with that but he was kind of 'already there'....He is one of those people that acts like he knows you two seconds after he meets you :mic: so it's actually easier for him to meet new people than it is for me so I'm sure once I get him to go he will be the social chatterbox of the two of us :chat: :hyper2: !

Lori:)

Monte Cristo
01-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi guys, definitely be interested in a dismeet.

We just returned this past Friday night from a trip to BWV. We were originally scheduled to leave last Sunday morning, but with the impending storm, we moved it too Saturday morning. What a good move that was!

Crowds were very light, it was a great trip. Had to dress warm down there though too as it was in the 40's a couple of the mornings.

Very hard coming home when the temps on the car said 2 degrees! Brutal.

RLRDA
01-19-2009, 07:51 AM
May 3rd sounds just about right. Please let me know if this OK with all of you. I would like to accomodate everyone as best as possible. Let me know.

Originally I said we were "in", now that the date has been chosen I realize that this is the date of a First Communion we are attending (close friends' daughter). I'm bummed we'll have to miss the first RI Dis-meet :sad1: . If, for some reason, the date of the meet changes let us know!

I hope you guys post some info and pics about how it all goes! :goodvibes

kgkmom
01-19-2009, 11:40 AM
We survived the holidays :santa: and are looking forward to our trip in August! Just waiting to add a few more days at BCV (?) at the 7 month mark (which is coming up soon) :thumbsup2 .

We're going in August too. DD's Sweet 16 and DS's first trip (they're 10 years apart-don't know what I was thinking!:upsidedow ). August is sooooooooo far away!:sad: We're staying at SSR this time around, but I might try to switch to Animal Kingdom-DS would love the animals. Has anyone stayed in the villas yet?

Anyone else still snowed in? I can't believe all the snow this winter!

peanmunch
01-19-2009, 12:38 PM
We are going May 6-16 :cool1: and if the hours don't come out soon I might just POP:sad: :faint: :confused3 !!!!!!!!!!! I have a list of possible ADR's (chef mickeys is already set for the 6th) but can't quit organize it with out park hours:scared: ...and yes....too much snow = too much time on my hands to think about ADR's ;)

Lori :beach: (wishful thinking)

RLRDA
01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
We're going in August too. DD's Sweet 16 and DS's first trip (they're 10 years apart-don't know what I was thinking!:upsidedow ). August is sooooooooo far away!:sad: We're staying at SSR this time around, but I might try to switch to Animal Kingdom-DS would love the animals. Has anyone stayed in the villas yet?

Anyone else still snowed in? I can't believe all the snow this winter!

We made our reservations at the 11 month mark so 4 months have already ticked away! We have 5 nights booked at AKV in a 1BR concierge villa right now and I have to call in a few days to try to add 3 nights at BCV :beach: . My DH isn't totally convinced about the extra points needed for concierge but I figured we'd try it once - I want to try the Sunrise Safari :thumbsup2 ! We stayed in a savanna view villa in Aug. 2007 shortly after the first few villas opened. If your DS loves animals, there's nothing that compares to waking up and seeing giraffe walk by as you eat your breakfast. You shouldn't have a problem switching if you wanted. Kidani will be open by August so a lot more villas will be available to everyone.

It seems like we've had a ton of snow so far this winter :scared: I don't know how much more we can take!