PDA

View Full Version : Help! Yellow Stains On Linen...

DMoss3377
06-24-2003, 08:27 AM
I have several pieces of clothing that I bought last year that are linen. I absolutely love them...but now that it's summer again, and I want to wear them, I have a huge problem.

Every piece that I've pulled out of my drawers or closet have yellow stains on them. Some worse than others. I've tried using Shout!, Oxy clean, and tide...but with little improvement.

I searched around online and have found that it's probably caused by the way I stored it over the winter...that's it probably mildew or residue from the wood in my drawer or closet. But knowing how it happened hasn't helped me fix it. I love these outfits and would hate to ditch them without trying everything I can to remove the stains.

HELP!!! Does anyone have any experience with this or know how I can remove these stains?

Thanks in advance.

StitchGirl88
06-24-2003, 04:41 PM
i think i herd some where that toth paste helps it get out and if that don't work and if they are white try to bleach them unless you are alergic!! if none of those work i don't know what to say!!

piratesmate
06-24-2003, 06:38 PM
StitchGirl may be referring to diswasher detergent rather than toothpaste. It has some bleach in it & works when you only want to do a small area. I've done it on hand-me-down baby clothes & it got out formula stains that were several years old. However, I only used it on things that were white.

saturday97
06-24-2003, 10:56 PM
I've used whitening toothpaste ( the kind with bleach) on white fabric before, and it works well if the item was STARK white to begin with-- otherwise it leaves a super-white spot and makes the rest of the item look yellow. DO NOT use the gel (only paste), because it doesn't work.

piratesmate
06-25-2003, 12:52 AM
I stand corrected. Sorry StitchGirl! I didn't realize toothpaste came with bleach. I've used the same stuff for the past 30 years. :rolleyes:

Mamu
06-25-2003, 05:44 AM
I soak all my summer whites in the washer using cascade over night, re-wash, then hang them out side for a day. This usually removes all the yellow stains.

DMoss3377
06-25-2003, 08:00 AM
I will give some of these a shot with my white linen, but I do have a couple pieces that are beige/tan. I figure if I can't get the stains out I can always ritdye it another color. LOL :)

Hopefully something works.

Thanks

Disneyaholic
06-27-2003, 08:03 PM
You might also try tea-dying the beige items instead of using Rit dye...

good luck. I hope everything can be saved.