PDA

View Full Version : Atkins and fast food?

marydmjj
06-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Any suggestions on a quick drive-thru lunch when I'm on the run? I'm on the Atkins diet.

Thanks in advance!

Beastlover
06-23-2003, 09:42 PM
I have been on Atkins for only a week, so I will give it a try...
Spicy chicken caesar salad at Wendy's
Substitute fried chicken for broiled chicken in the Fried Chicken Salad at Steak'n'Shake (minus those yummy crunchy things :(
Cheeseburger with the works, lose the bun, Burger King, Steak'n'Shake, Culver's, almost anywhere
Veggie lover's, extra veggies on a pizza and leave the crust, Pizza Hut
How about a Taco Salad at Taco Bell-leave the bowl behind?
Also, any of their fajitas, and ask for a bowl, or container to dump the inside into, and eat out of the bowl, discard the tortilla?
I am still in the Induction period, how are we for Italian Beef? Add the peppers and cheese, and lose the roll? How about the Atkins bread I hear about? If you know you will be out and on the run, bring some with, order a burger, ital. beef, whatever, and put it on your own bread....I am reaching here!!!
Also, anything goes, I will ask for anything, look at the menu-see what ingredients they have. Chances are, if you ask for something special, they will make it!!
I try to travel with Atkins goodies stocked in my car, just in case I am out and nothing appeals to me, then I have snacks on the run! That's all I can come up with!

marydmjj
06-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the response! What sort of snacks do you travel with? I have pepperoni but am getting tired of it. I also snack on celery and cream cheese when I'm home but that's a little hard to take with me.

Luvinit
06-23-2003, 10:23 PM
BE CAREFUL with Fast foods...Somebody posted something about resturants the other day with this link...You will be surprised how many hidden carbs there are!!!

Please be careful if you are still on induction too!!

Check this site out for some good info..Hope this works...(holding breath)...http://www.calorieking.com/foods/category.php?category_id=21

The name is http://calorieking.com-food database

One of the two should work.

Tracy

marydmjj
06-24-2003, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the links Tracy. I'll definitely check them out. It's hard to figure out carbs with drive-thru. Everything is listed with the bun and all ingredients but if you only eat the meat...? Anyway, I don't want to eat at those places anymore. That was part of my problem. It was so easy just to run thru the drive-thru instead of waiting to get home. I know I will probably go to them every once in a while though.

inky dinky doo
06-24-2003, 04:10 AM
Since I eat pretty simply, I try to avoid fast food if at all possible -- especially Taco Bell (way too many carbs there!). When I'm caught, though, I'll go to Subway. You can have any of their sandwiches made into a salad. My favorite is the Italian BMT. You just have to watch the dressing. Their Italian dressing is low fat, which has a few more carbs, but since I don't do it real often and I eat simply otherwise, I figure it's not that big of a deal. Or you could bring your own dressing or use their vinegar and oil.

I've also been known to go through Burger King's drive thru for a whopper with cheese ("hold the bun") or their new All American Burger ("hold the bun"). They actually seem to know what "hold the bun" means! :smooth: They put the burgers in a baked potato dish and give you a knife and fork with mayo on the side.

I usually try to carry a salad to work. For snacks, you could take a hard boiled egg, deviled eggs, string cheese, pepperoni -- plain or spread with cream cheese and rolled up, celery sticks stuffed with cream cheese or pimento cheese spread, cucumbers, pepper strips, BLT rolled up in a slice of turkey, cheese cubes, beef jerky, pork rinds with cheese spread, leftovers from the night before . . . the list goes on and on. You might want to pick up one of those small collapsible, 6-can size coolers and a couple of ice packs. They'll keep stuff cool for hours.

Good luck! I've found that I'm better off if I plan ahead a bit more than I used to, but it's well worth it. I've lost 50 lb. since January 21, and it gets better and better every day. I wish the same for you!

Lynn CC
06-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Great Website, thanks for posting!

I carry the Atkins protein bars with me. Instead of driving through the drive-thru, I eat one of those with a large water. They are very filling. Pecan Pralline is my favorite!

LuvTigger
06-24-2003, 02:52 PM
I know they don't have Jack in the Box everywhere, but I've been in the drive thru at least twice where I've heard people ordering Jumbo Jacks without the bun!

I'm not on Atkins, but I'm on a moderate-carb diet. Sometimes I order chicken breast pieces from Jacks and remove the breading. Same for McD's, but I prefer Jacks.

marydmjj
06-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Great ideas, thanks! I didn't even think about a small cooler to keep things fresh. Duh! I'm not the best at planning ahead...usually why we end up going to the drive-thru.

nativetxn
06-24-2003, 06:26 PM
Ooooh, LuvTigger, I love Jack in the Box. There are none in Michigan anymoer. They still have them in Houston, though.

I love to get the Breakfast Jack, it's available 24 hours a day. I just toss the bun.

Sometimes I get a Subway Club and I like it but they only use "lite" mayo at Subway. I carry those little packets of mayo in the car so I order with only the meat and pickles :)