PDA

View Full Version : holiday inn family suites?

lisah00
06-21-2003, 05:00 PM
hi folks,
will be spending one evening at the H.I. before we change hotels.
this is my question, i have a kidsuite booked at the HI Maingate E
now, which they say is walking distance to Old Town(never been by the way) is the family suites hotel better? my 2 young sons love trains, and i read they have train rides, can some one explain? if you were me would you switch hotels?
thank you
lisa

C.Ann
06-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by lisah00
hi folks,
will be spending one evening at the H.I. before we change hotels.
this is my question, i have a kidsuite booked at the HI Maingate E
now, which they say is walking distance to Old Town(never been by the way) is the family suites hotel better? my 2 young sons love trains, and i read they have train rides, can some one explain? if you were me would you switch hotels?
thank you
lisa
-----------------------------------

I don't think the Holiday Inn Maingate East even HAS "themed" kids suites.. At least not that I'm aware of.. The HI with the themed kids suites is called Holiday Inn Family Suites and it's not within walking distance of Old Town..

The HIFS does have the train theme and from what I've read the entire hotel (lobby, check-in desk, etc.) is all kind of train themed.. Unfortunately I don't think that is the place you're talking about though..

Did you already make reservations? And when will you be going?

Straitlover
06-21-2003, 06:00 PM
HIME does have a kidsuite; it's just not themed. If I remember a previos thread correctly, that's the one that's plunked down in the room, not in a seperate room. The walls have a gap at the top, and the doorway is covered just by a curtain, so there would be a lack of privacy/quiet for you and for the kids.

What's the difference in price? If it's only $10-20, I'd say go w/ HIFS, especially since you'r eonly talking one night.

lisah00
06-21-2003, 07:01 PM
for the thoughts, i do already have a res. at the maingate east location. and just checked hifs because of all the positive reviews from these boards, the price difference is 30.00 i think, that doesnt matter too me , i just want to book what will be more fun for the boys, i think i will change, we will be going in december, seems so far off right now,
thanks again for the help
lisa

C.Ann
06-21-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by lisah00
for the thoughts, i do already have a res. at the maingate east location. and just checked hifs because of all the positive reviews from these boards, the price difference is 30.00 i think, that doesnt matter too me , i just want to book what will be more fun for the boys, i think i will change, we will be going in december, seems so far off right now,
thanks again for the help
lisa
----------------------------------

Depending on the night you're going in December, if you have an Entertainment book you should be able to get the Kids Suite for $73 a night.. That's what we're paying Dec. 3rd till the 16th..

LOTS of train theming there!!!!;)

MichelleB
06-21-2003, 08:52 PM
lisah00, I have a coupon for a free pizza meal (med. pizza, breadsticks, and a 2 liter) for HIFS if you'd like I can send it to you. You must mention the coupon when you make the reservation. I'm with C.Ann, if you have an entertainment card, ask for that rate. We just returned and got a rate of $86 using the card. It was a great place to stay and my kids (7, 5, and 1 1/2) loved it! Let me know if you'd like me to send you the free pizza coupon. It's good until 12/20/03.

MrsMud
06-22-2003, 06:52 AM
the price difference is 30.00 i think, that doesnt matter too me , i just want to book what will be more fun for the boys,
If you don't care about the price difference, definitely switch to HIFS! The suite is much bigger and affords more privacy, the kids rooms are wonderfully themed, there is a big toy train layout in the lobby (can also get a train theme in the kidsroom), and yes they do have train rides, I believe on weekday mornings. It is a small kids ride type train that goes around the grounds of the hotel. There is a themed mascot (can't think of his name) that drives it. You don't say where you're staying after the first night, but beware, your kids may not want to leave!

KIRSTIN'S MOMMY
06-22-2003, 01:08 PM
We are planning to stay here in Sept. I found this place on the AAA website, and the rates through them are $99 per night for the kidsuites. We are going with my sister, my dd 3, my two neices, who are 12 and 16. Anyone know if the place is fun for older kids as well? The 16 yr. old seems to be excited, but might think that the resort is lame if it's too "kiddie". The 12 yr. old is so excited she may burst before we get there!!! Any additional info would be great, also, did you go to Water Mania while you were there? I think it's pretty close by. I also checked their site too, and there are coupons for $6 off adult and $3 off children's admissions, making both about $13.95 plus tax.

Straitlover
06-22-2003, 02:38 PM
Kirsten's Mommy, someone was selling Water Mania tickets buy one get one free! I think it was Central Florida Tickets, but I'm not sure. I think the post about it was either in this section or on the Budget Board. Look for it!

KIRSTIN'S MOMMY
06-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the info!!! We're only going to be down in Orlando for a weekend to hit Universal, and if they don't still have the 3rd day free option on the tickets we were thinking of going to Water Mania on Sunday for a little while before we head home.

momofdbsdc
06-22-2003, 04:05 PM
I have stayed at both hotels and if money isn't an issue, I would definitely stay at HIFS. We stayed there in September with our 5 children and they all loved it. We were impressed ourselves. And if trains are what your children like, they are everywhere. We are planning on returning sometime next year! I can't wait!!!

Have a great time!

MrsMud
06-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Kirsten's Mommy:
We're only going to be down in Orlando for a weekend to hit Universal, and if they don't still have the 3rd day free option on the tickets we were thinking of going to Water Mania on Sunday for a little while before we head home.
I'm not sure if you have already bought your tickets, but I have read on the Universal board that they are no longer offering those tickets. You may be in luck, though. Since there are 5 of you, Universal has a Mastercard promo right now, if you buy 4 tickets you get a fifth free. They are the 7 consecutive day tickets for $89 each, which I believe is cheaper than the 2 day, 3rd day free anyway. If you average out the four and the one free, they are only $72 each!

KIRSTIN'S MOMMY
06-22-2003, 07:48 PM
My neices are buying their own tickets. The only ones that I have to buy (thank goodness!) are mine, dh and dd. I was on the boards earlier today, and a couple of people just back said they still had these...If not, it's o.k. we'll just hit the water park or Downtown Disney. I just came back from visiting with the 12 yo neice, and I think she may pop before we get there!!! She is working doing things around the house for her parents, my parents, and anyone else who will "hire" her to do things, as she has to raise the money to go herself. We are paying for the room, all she has to do is get her ticket and spending money. So far she has raised $60 of the $150 we told her she needed for tickets and everything...I'm so proud of her! The 16 yo already has the money saved up from babysitting....They've never been to Universal, only Disney about 100 times, so they're really looking forward to it!!!

lisah00
06-24-2003, 06:50 AM
you guys are the best, i really just love these boards. i have been gone over the weekend praying we could pull off my sons bday party at an outdoor amusement park here on long island, cancelled on sat. and would you believe just made it on sunday, just started to rain again..... during the last 15 min. during ride time. anyway just venting sorry to bore you.
i will make my change today, we are dvc members looking for a fun hotel for the first night. we will be at the boardwalk villas after that. i too thought they may be a little upset to leave the hifs, especially since they seem to have so much for them to do.
thanks again for all the great advice, i dont have an entertainment book, i was going to book online threw this site.
lisa

MrsMud
06-24-2003, 09:04 AM
Lisa:i dont have an entertainment book, i was going to book online threw this site.
Again, I don't know when you're going, but call the hotel and ask if they have the entertainment rate available. If so, book it at that rate and THEN buy the book (you don't need it to book the room, just when you check in). The cost of the book would be more than paid for on your first night's stay. And, if you are going between now and Nov., this years books are all on clearance for $10 each. Good luck!

Oops, sorry. I just reread your posts. Since you are going in Dec. you would need the 2004 Entertainment book. On the other hand, Dec. (except for around Christmas) is value season. The Entertainment rate should be $73. I know it's only one night, but every little bit helps. ;)

LOVETHATMOUSE
06-25-2003, 06:13 AM
You don't need the entertainment book for 2004 if you have the Disney Club card that is good until the end of the year. It also has the entertainment club feature on it.

tkme4ard
06-25-2003, 08:32 AM
I just called the 877-387-5437 number for Holiday Inn Family Suites and they said they no longer except the entertainment card discount :(

Angela

reeddi
06-25-2003, 09:15 AM
Wow, I find that amazing considering you can go on the website and book the entertainment rate directly. I just booked last week for this December. I will have to watch my e-mail and see if they let me know that it is no longer valid.

MrsMud
06-25-2003, 12:43 PM
Angela said:
I just called the 877-387-5437 number for Holiday Inn Family Suites and they said they no longer except the entertainment card discount
Wow, that is surprising to me, too. Are you sure they did not mean that the Ent. rate was no longer available for your dates?
I also have booked with that rate. It will be a shame if they discontinue it. :(

tkme4ard
06-25-2003, 03:01 PM
I didn't have a chance to even ask about dates they said no more entertainment book discount. Also it's not available online either :(

angela

MrsMud
06-25-2003, 03:06 PM
:(

LOVETHATMOUSE
06-26-2003, 06:20 AM
A LOT of people have already booked that rate, so I hope they will honor it, otherwise I know at least we will be cancelling our ressies ( and the other 4 families we are traveling with). I am going to call them and find out about our ressie today. Maybe they have pulled themselves out of the 2004 book? Hope everyone who has the rate now gets to keep it. Good Luck eveyone.

RKC
06-26-2003, 09:49 AM
LOVETHATMOUSE,
I just got off the phone with HIFS reservations and they told me my ressies would be honored (for Oct.), but that I couldn't add any xtra nights at that rate. I then asked to have a resevation confimation e-mailed to me (again), which she did right away. It shows the correct (EB) rate.
So I'm pretty sure that anyone that already has the EB rate is fine. :D
-Rachael

P.S. Boy, am I glad I made our Ressies when I did (about 2 wks ago) !!! My DH thought I was being a bit ridiculous doing it so early. If I'd waited it would have cost me over 200$.:eek: