PDA

View Full Version : Just back...and fell in love with Vero Beach!

JulesMom
06-20-2003, 07:09 PM
We spent June 11-13 at Vero Beach. We joined DVC in March 2002, so this was our first trip.

AND...we didn't stay long enough!!!!!!!!!!

We stayed in an ocean view inn room. We won't get an ocean view again. We could see the ocean but it wasn't a "great view". We didn't spend much time in the room anyway.

We spent hours at the beach. We had been warned that it wasn't near as nice as the Florida Gulf Coast beaches. But, it's SO much better than Galveston(our local beach) that we thought it was great. The kids spent hours on boogie boards. We plan to buy boogie boards at the end of the summer(on sale-we hope).

We did the Smores Campfire and had a blast!! We were singing so loud, DD was hoarse the next day. DS and DH were able to do the Turtle Walk. They did see a turtle lay her eggs and cover them up. They loved it.

We went to a Vero Beach Dodgers game. A kid from DD's high school plays for them. It was a lot of fun. DD and DS each were able to get a foul ball.

We plan to stay 5 days next year!

I didn't even want to go back to WDW :eek:

floridafam
06-20-2003, 07:17 PM
I'm so glad you had a good time.

We also love Vero Beach and went there many times without setting foot in WDW.

There is just so much to do there.

Do you remember your room number? Was it one of the rooms on the side of the resort that doesn't directly look at the ocean?

Did you eat on site? How were your meals?

We've stayed a week and thought that wasn't long enough:)

Maistre Gracey
06-20-2003, 07:22 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed Vero!
We also enjoy VB, and it just never seems like long enough of a stay...:cool:

Were the roasting sticks (or whatever you call them) at the campfire long enough? Last time we did the s'mores, everyone was burning their hands because the sticks were too short! :teeth:

JulesMom
06-20-2003, 07:26 PM
Our room # was 2426 and yes, it was on the side of the resort. When on the balcony, there was a very nice view.

The kids had one meal at Bleacher's and they thought it was ok. We ate off site at KFC and Chili's because we had gift certificates. We ate hot dogs at the Dodgers game.

The sticks were long enough, but the fire was very hot! I didn't feel like I would get burned, but the last thing you like to feel on sunburned shoulders is heat from a fire:p

CaptainMidnight
06-20-2003, 08:33 PM
We really love it too. But, we tend to stay for several days, sometimes a week or more in a one bedroom trying to re-learn how to relax. It is a very nice place to reconnect with the family.

luckytso
06-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Our AP will expire in mid Feb. next year while we will stay have our AP for Universal.

I am seriously considering going to Universal for several days and then drive down to Vero for 3-4 nights in mid March or mid April.

How is the weather there around that time?

My kids will be 5 and 2 by then. Are there many children's activities if you are not the "beach" type?

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

PamOKW
06-20-2003, 09:26 PM
Uh oh! Another family is in on the "secret"! ;) Glad to hear you had a good time.

Luckytso -- March-April is "the season" for the Vero area. It's a prime snowbird location. The weather will be much warmer than New Jersey and could be in the 70-80 range. April especially will be getting summerlike. March, you could hit some cool days.

I'm not an expert on the children's activities but I do know they try to keep the kids busy.

luckytso
06-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Pam, Thanks. Everytime when we tried to stay at a DVC resort at WDW, I was always lured away to stay at another regular Disney resort by some type of deal.

But going to VB, it will definitely be at DVC VB. I am kind of looking forward to it, just have to wait until the school calendar comes out for my 5 year old to figure out the exact dates.

Around July 4th, we plan to go to DVC HH (no more AP anywhere by then) and either Marriott Grand Ocean or Barony Beach for a couple of days (special rate by taking a timeshare tour).

DVC is great with all these choices!!!!

:p

Verandah Man
06-20-2003, 09:36 PM
We had six funfilled days there last November, we had a 2 bedroom villa and it was so roomy, will be going there again, that's for sure!!!

ncligs
06-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Glad you enjoyed your stay at http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/splat.gif VB. We can't wait to get down there http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/huey1177.gif (15 days and counting....).http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/a_smil09.gif

Patricia
06-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Vero is a favorite for us as well. My kids love it for so many reasons. The oldest loves the freedom she can enjoy there ~ coming and going to the beach/pool/room as she chooses. The middle loves the beach and the pool too, and the little guy enjoys the activities and the whole thing in general. It's a terrific family resort with a relaxing atmosphere. We are heading down for in August and can't wait!

COACHSTING
06-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Looking for some room descriptions from DVC members. Can you get ocean/beach view? With balconies? Thanks.

Peddler
06-21-2003, 11:10 AM
We also think that Vero Beach is great we will be arriving Sept 02 for 4 days.....
In a Cottage......

bray
06-21-2003, 03:54 PM
We are not DVC members but are contemplating it so seriously that a contract should be in the mail.

We just returned from 7 days at Wilderness Lodge and 2 nights at VB. We had an inn garden (parking lot and plants) view. The room had 2 queen beds. We were not expecting daily towel and made service. However, it happened at no additional cost.

My 7 year old DD fell in love with sandcastles and boogie boards. In fact we purchased a board at Ron Jons in Cocoa Beach for less than $12. Don't know what she plans on doing with it for a year??

I was a bit disappointed that the turtle walk was on a lottery basis. Nothing in the info I read indicated that would be the case. DD was very disappointed that we could not participate.

We ran to Wal Mart and picked up some breakfast foods, the always dependable PBJ makings, juice, and salad kits. Combined with the not to overpriced $13 large pizza, dinner sure tasted great after a week of using Magical Wishes at WDW restaurants.

Can't wait to go back.

floridafam
06-21-2003, 04:11 PM
We love housekeeeping at VB. They have wonderful housekeepers who always leave towel animals.

You paid cash, correct? That is why you had housekeeping daily.

If you become members you can familiarize yourself with the housekeeping procedures. Having daily housekeeping is almost a must for us at VB just because of the sand, etc. We definately use the room differently than if we were at a WDW resort. I think the pool and beach warrant more frequent cleaning.

WE LOVE VB. Glad you had a good time.

nezy
06-21-2003, 04:38 PM
It was so great to read your post, JulesMom. Sounds like a great trip. Every time we go to Vero I feel like the time there is not long enough.

Peddler-Cottage?? I am jealous. That is great-have a great trip!!

I have a secret-although not so secret if you look at my countdown. Every Dec. my "snowbird" mom goes to West Palm Beach. I usually go with her to help get her set-up with grocereies, etc. It's a great few days away for me. We usually spend a day at Vero to have lunch. Last year we booked a room for the night. It was great -went to Shutters for dinner, DD and I went to campfire, borrowed a movie from the Orange Grove. My DD enjoyed the campfire and the un-bithday party and playing with all the kids in the pool.

Next Dec. I booked flights for the whole family-(they do not know it) to meet mom and me a few days later, and I booked a 2BR at Vero for 2 nights during that time. I can't wait.

JimC
06-21-2003, 10:35 PM
We were there in May for our first time at VB. We enjoyed it as well. Very relaxing. Don't understand why it did not sell better than it has. The CMs were great - made us feel like we were old friends.

I went exploring and was trying to make sense of the infrastructure in place. I asked one of the CMs and found out that they had owned a great deal of land and that most of the resort was to be on the other side of the road, hence the investment in the tunnel. Apparantly when the resort did not sell well they curtailed construction, sold off most of the land on the other side of the road - keeping only a minimal amount for the recreactional and service investments they had already made. I have no way of verifying this, but it sounded rational given what I saw.

It still looks like they could add one more building and cottages next to #12 and do modest expanion on the other side of the road if they were ever to have the need. But since it is still not sold out that probably would never happen.