PDA

View Full Version : 2.5* Disney Vicinity Priceline

kilee
06-19-2003, 05:21 PM
We are going to Disney in October with my family. We are going to need 3 rooms. Since this trip is shortly before Christmas we are going to try and keep the cost down. We have read and researched Priceline.... and we are going to give it a try.

Originally we were going to attempt the 3* in the $35-40 range. After watching the trends on biddingfortravel.com I have noticed that the list of "known" 2.5* really isn't that bad. And the going price seems to be about $25ish a night.

So I'm wondering what kind of price/expierence anyone has had with the 2.5* in the Disney Vicinity.

We are looking for a clean room, clean pool, safe area. I'm not expecting the Carlton Ritz or 2 million amenities.

CarolA
06-19-2003, 05:44 PM
I got the DTD Courtyard. It was a great deal.

zurgswife
06-19-2003, 05:59 PM
I do believe with priceline you and only reserve one room at a time...You would be taking a chance of getting 3 different hotels....Just a thought...

kilee
06-19-2003, 06:18 PM
That was a question I had previously. However, from what I have read the maximum is to bid for 3 rooms at one time. So now, has anyone bid for more than 1 room at a time? Are they at the same location?

CarolA
06-19-2003, 07:21 PM
From everything I have seen over on www.biddingfortravel.com and better bidding as long as you bid on all 3 rooms at the same time they will be together. If you bid one room to see what you get and then try to do another bid for the other rooms you may wind up split.

Lewisc
06-19-2003, 09:17 PM
People seem to be getting the Best Western (DTD) for about $29, you may be wasting your time if you stop bidding at $25. If you bid on 3 rooms at once, they'll be at the same hotel (but no guarantee the rooms will be connecting or even on the same floor).

kilee
06-19-2003, 10:09 PM
It's okay if the hotels aren't connecting or even on the same floor-- as long as they are at the same hotel. I was wondering though if bidding for 3 rooms is going to decrease the chances of getting a bid accepted? We are looking at the timeframe of 10/30-11/7. We planned on waiting until closer to the end of summer to start bidding. I figured if we went for the 2.5* we'd start around 25 and go up to $30.

NHLFAN
06-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Kilee,

We have used Priceline for our last two trips to Orlando and as long as you read the FAQ's and use the free bidding strategies you can get some great deals...and make a trip affordable.

I don't mind staying offsite at WDW...As the money saved on Priceline Deals compared to the Overpriced Disney resorts give us the chance to afford such trips....but...

If you looking into going to Universal Studio/IOA I would suggest spending a little more by staying onsite at one of their resorts (very nice) for a night so you have Front of Line privileges which Disney doesn't offer with their resorts.

Have fun and Enjoy!

bootc3
06-19-2003, 11:08 PM
Your best bet is www.biddingfortravel.com. Read the FAQ and they will help you with a bidding strategy. It is the best site for priceline questions. Good Luck, I am sure you will come up with something. I got the Best Western for $25 8/16 - 8/20 and have gotten the Courtyard for $33 before both near DTD.

CPM
06-19-2003, 11:34 PM
I got the Clarion in May. 2.5 star WDW vincinity for $28.00. It was fine, had a nice big room with fridge, micro, two full size beds and a pullout sofa. It was very close to AKL.

Belle5
06-20-2003, 12:28 AM
I received the Clarion, as well. "Fine" would describe it. Nothing overly nice. The pool was absolutely pathetic! We moved out early and paid nearly rack rate to stay an extra 2 nights at the Sheraton Safari where we were moving to next because of another Priceline bid. Much, much nicer!!!!

After years of using Priceline-- this was the first time we had to fight everywhere we stayed to have non smoking rooms or 2 beds in a room or connecting rooms. Everywhere we went the attitude was " You are a Priceline customer. No requests. You get what you get!" The only reason we got what we needed at Safari is because we checked in early and paid almost top dollar. Then we were "locked into" the rooms we wanted by the time our Priceline ressie dates rolled around. If we would have just shown up on the day of our Priceline ressies-- the front desk made it clear --that because the hotel was near full capacity--we, as PL customers would be getting the "leftovers"! (We stayed in PL rooms not only in Orlando but on the road to and from Texas. We encountered this attitude almost everywhere!)

Lewisc
06-20-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Belle5
IAfter years of using Priceline-- this was the first time we had to fight everywhere we stayed to have non smoking rooms or 2 beds in a room or connecting rooms. Everywhere we went the attitude was " You are a Priceline

I suspect some hotels are tired of PL guests trying to demand frequent stay perks, free upgrades and other perks that they're not entitled to. I haven't encountered any bad treatment but I don't make many requests.

Belle--Nothing wrong with making a non-smoking request but you're only bidding on double occupancy. Two beds and connecting rooms are not really requests you have a right to expect. NOTHING WRONG WITH ASKING NICELY but really nothing wrong with the hotel saying those rooms are not available to you. If the hotel is able to use PL to get occupancy close to 100% then the PL customers will not be able to get the first choice of bedding or connecting rooms. I'd say if you're putting very small children in one of the rooms the hotel should make an attempt to help you with connecting rooms.

The reason you're usually able to get 2 beds in Orlando is that most of the hotels put 2 beds in most of their rooms. Asking for a king room is generally a harder request to fill.

Look at the posters on this board and others (NOT THIS THREAD). People get a room for under 50% the going rate. Want high floor, fireworks view, free fruit basket, 2 beds... I can understand the hotels taking a tougher stance.

Belle5
06-20-2003, 09:36 AM
Lewis,
We had to fight for non-smoking at every hotel. (We have serious asthma in the family.) We did end up putting our kids in rooms nearby--not connecting at a couple of places. At one place we had two kings (connecting) for the 7 of us. 4 kids ended up on the floor. We have decided that it is worth it for us to get a guaranteed non-smoking and connecting on Disney property. Again, we have used Priceline tons of times and always been pretty happy. When you're vacationing for 10-14 days you want to be more sure than what we were that you are going to be in rooms you are happy with and feel safe about your kids. I think our biggest mistake was bidding 2 and 1/2 stars. Attitudes seem to take a real plunge (front desk-wise) at this level when you're with PL..

I would never dream that we would be entitled to fruit basket type perks. I do want the best odds of having my family together and in a safe and healthy (smoke free) environment--even if that means paying quite a bit more next time.

ziggy14
06-20-2003, 09:49 AM
This is just a suggestion, but have you thought about renting a timeshare for the week and all staying in the same place. If you look hard enough you can even find a three bedroom with a full kitchen. The Embassy has a great resort and is all three bedrooms and I believe three bathrooms. Going in October you should be able to get a great price for the week. Good Luck

Lewisc
06-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Belle5
Lewis,
We had to fight for non-smoking at every hotel. (We have serious asthma in the family.) We did end up putting our kids in rooms nearby--not connecting at a couple of places. At one place ......

I .

As I said in my post, I wasn't referring to you (or anyone else in this thread). I think the number of rude demanding PL customers BEFORE you is responsible for the attitude at hotels.

PL claim they request non-smoking rooms, the hotels I've stayed in claim that PL requested a smoking room. I've never had any trouble with a non-smoking request but I think in the future you might fax the hotel with that request (alone).

I agree with you, for 7 people you're better off picking your hotel conventionally. Getting a better location, suite hotel and possibly a free breakfast may more than offset the money you'd save with PL. If you need to save $ stay in an offsite condo or vacation home.

I always assume my rating of the hotel may be at least 1* level below what PL says. Unless I was booking 1 night by an airport I'm not sure I'd even go to 3*. Most of the 2.5 and 3* properties are OK but I always figure with my luck I'd get the worse one and would be unhappy. I can live with a 4* hotel that' really a 3*. I don't think I'd be happy with a 2.5* hotel that's really a low 2*.

CarolA
06-20-2003, 10:46 AM
My theory is that I use Priceline for nicer hotels then I can afford. The only time I did a 2.5 was for one night at Disney when I was arriving late. I got the Courtyard DTD and it is probably well ranked. (Considering the location, free reception it might even be a little low.)

I normally do resort levels and have wound up with MOWC, Hilton DTD, Wyndam DTD all in the $60 to $70 range. Those hotels are all great values for the price.

I have never had a problem getting a non-smoking room. As for the other requests you are NOT guranteed connecting rooms or more then one bed. Priceline clearly states that you are only entitiled to ONE bed in the room. I think what Belle experienced is probably that the hotel took the bids because in Orlando they may have trouble selling the King bedded rooms (lots of family travel) and that was what she was going to get.

I have never been treated badly or gotten what I would consider an inferior room as a result of PL.

I am always amazed when I do read about people who are upset because they don't get their Wyndam By Request perks or something. If points and perks are important to you, I don't think you should use PL.

Belle5
06-20-2003, 12:01 PM
I agree that you cannot expect connecting rooms or even 2 beds. Even at a nice place like MOWC we did not have connecting rooms and understood that. I, like Lewis, am always amazed when a hotel claims that PL requested a SMOKING room instead of the NON SMOKING when PL states on their web site that they request NON SMOKING. (Since everyone always loves to quote what it says on the PL web site.;) )
The reason I posted my experience is because the OP wants to have 3 rooms and I thought he/she deserves to know what they may be up against.

Lewisc
06-20-2003, 02:31 PM
I don't think the hotels were lying. They were pleased to give me a N/S room. They were puzzled as to why a smoking room was requested when I wanted a N/S room. Maybe PL is now silent as to smoking request? I didn't bother contacting PL since their customer service is non-existant. Basically we're bound by PL rules but they don't always think they are.

I think a medical necessity would require that the hotel honor a N/S request or allow you to cancel the reservation.

I agree that the hotels may be using PL to dump the King rooms.

kilee
06-20-2003, 09:46 PM
We need 3 rooms, but not for children. We are traveling with my parents and my adult sister(with her dh and baby). We just want to all be at the same hotel. I am the only one who is concerned about the 2 bed thing. My parents would be pleased with one king-- but not required, my sister and BIL are bringing the babies porta crib, so one bed is okay for them too. For our room it will be me, dh and ds (10). I am going to hope that odds will have it that at least one of the 3 rooms will have 2 beds. If not, then we'll go to Walmart and get an air mattress or attempt to rent the roll-a-way bed (which I know will be extra). The smoking thing doesn't really matter to a certain degree. I'll bring Febreeze and Lysol. DH is a smoker so this may not matter--- he usually smokes outdoors when we're at hotels though-- those rooms are just to small to fill with smoke.

I am slightly nervous about the pricline bidding thing. I have read the FAQ on biddingfortravel at least 10 times now. I have been lurking around the idea for each trip. I really am ready to give it a whirl.

Bob NC
06-20-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by zurgswife
I do believe with priceline you and only reserve one room at a time...You would be taking a chance of getting 3 different hotels....Just a thought...

I have bid for, and won, 4 rooms at a time many times with Priceline.

tinaluis
06-20-2003, 11:23 PM
kilee,
I would give Priceline a try. We've used it with great success at least 25 times. The key is flexibility and you stated in your post that if you end up with a room with one bed you'll get an air mattress -- great additude! We always hope for two beds but are prepared to use an air mattress if we have to. Likewise, we prefer a non-smoking room but would consider a smoking room if the smell wasn't too bad. If the smell is horrible, I'd just ask for another room, even if it's a smoking one. Bottom line is that we usually pay about $30/nt. for a really nice hotel (hotels for our upcoming October stay are the 3* Omni Rosen near Universal and 3* Sheraton Safari neard DD) and that is the same $30/nt. we used to pay (or even more) for the Super 8 Motel or something of that caliber. Priceline has allowed us to make trips to WDW and US/IOA at least 2x a year. Before Priceline, we were lucky to get there every 2 years. We've also had success bidding for 2.5* hotels in the Universal and Florida Mall areas. We've gotten the Amerisuites Convention Center, Amerisuites Universal and the Wellesley Inn and Suites Florida Mall and loved those rooms as well.