PDA

View Full Version : New Atkins dieter and also an Innkeeper!

Barbruka
06-19-2003, 11:21 AM
As my subject title says, I'm new on Atkins and as some of you already know, I'm a bed and breakfast innkeeper. I have been running a bed and breakfast inn in Horicon, Wisconsin since February.

Today is day four for me on induction. So far so good. Only a slight headache since yesterday. But today was a new interesting challenge. I had to make this big gourmet breakfast basket to take to a guest room. (First guests since starting diet on Monday.) Apple Sour Cream Coffee Cake, Hot Croissants w/ butter, Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins hot out of the oven and gorgeous fruit bowls in crystal footed bowls.

And let me tell you, making all this food, I didn't sample anything!!! Didn't even lick the old fingers! To tell you the truth, I didn't even have an urge. I think this Atkins diet may have something to it after all. And Karebear1 (Karen) can testify to the fact that I have been leary of Atkins for years!

Every other diet (and everyday life), has always given me huge urges for carbs! This time, no urges at all! Food seems to be losing its appeal to me. Very interesting. Is this normal on Atkins? I always hated the strong tie food has had on me.

Looking forward to learning more about Atkins as I do it. And a big thank you to Karen for always being there for me. The last few days (and 17 years), you have always been my rock and best friend.

nativetxn
06-19-2003, 11:34 AM
I have been wondering where you were, Barb. Atkins got rid of my desire for refined carbohydrates, too. It's normal, isn't that just wonderful?

I'm glad that you have decided to give Atkins a chance. I'll bet you do great. Are you going to become an official WISHer now? Please say yes. I could use you in my support group.

If you decide to take the challenge, just post <b>HERE</b> (http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=323029). That makes you all official :teeth:

It's so nice to see you again. I was just talking about your bed and breakfast last evening. I was telling my husband that I thought it would be fun to stay there but that I worried that the food would be high in refined carbohydrates.

Any plans to add low carbohydrate foods to your gourmet menu?

Katholyn

Jomrog
06-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi Barb,

That's super that you were able to resist all those carbs. I have never had such strong willpower until I started the Atkins way. I definitely think this eating plan helps me to resist foods. I have not cheated (on purpose) since I started 6 weeks ago.

I hope you join the challenge. I wish you good luck on your new way of eating!!!:D

minniecarousel
06-19-2003, 12:12 PM
Welcome Barb! That is truly a test - baking all those goodies (those are things that I LOVE!) I gotta agree, too, that the appeal is gone - I keep wondering for how long?! Will I always be able to pass up baked goods?
Hopefully, you will feel great today (or at least by tomorrow!) Keep up the good work!

karebear1
06-19-2003, 12:16 PM
GOOD FOR YOU BARB!!!! No licking fingers or tasting or anything ! That's FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! Can you see now how this would be an relatively easy thing to follow for life? Once you get past all the withdrawl it's a breeze! ANd , if you do have days where you slip- it's not for long because you start to feel so sick and yucky!

Now Barb, all you have to do is TAKE THE CHALLENGE! Come on- we know you want to- then you can post your weight loss and get clippies and all that good stuff!

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!! BARB'S ON HER WEIGH!!! http://smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/party.gif

nativetxn
06-19-2003, 12:29 PM
Barb--hurry up and take the challenge now. Then when you have your official weigh in you will probably be trading up to the 5 or 10 pound loss clippie. We can't count the weight we lose before we take the challenge. I wish I had waited to start Atkins until after I took the challenge, my next clipart would be that pretty 40 pound loss one.

Barbruka
06-19-2003, 12:48 PM
Actually Kath, I did discuss with my husband that I needed to get more Atkins recipes, so I can make things that won't tempt me. I've got to find some fancy dishes! You come over and I'll make you a feast!

nativetxn
06-19-2003, 01:02 PM
It's a deal! Now, I've just got to convince dh :teeth:

Luvinit
06-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Just wanted to say Hi Barb...Welcome to the Wish Board!!

What a GREAT marketing tool for you to use at your Bed and Breakfast. Offering Low Carb and Atkins friendly foods...I would pay extra to stay in a place like that!!!

Tracy

Barbruka
06-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Actually we do ask on our web site if guests have any special dietary needs or allergies we need to be aware of. I have already done several diabetes meals, vegetarian, and low fat. We pretty much do what the guest wants.

TigH
06-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Wow, that is very impressive!!!! I am so proud of you! I know that this is going to work and you will live a long, happy and healthy life thanks to Atkins! I was thinking as I started reading your post that it was going to be a big challenge for you to try this way of eating, but after I finished you post I knew that it was just right for you! Good luck and keep up the great work. I am sure you will be tickled pink with the results and that you won't miss the carbs at all!

Beanie
06-19-2003, 11:53 PM
Welcome to the WISH Board, Barb!! Glad to have you here!! You will find lots of support and wonderful recipes here!! Grab a clippie and join right in this great bunch of losers! :)