PDA

View Full Version : strawberry shortcake (ohelo papa mea ono, from polynesian village resort)

nicurn
06-18-2003, 10:31 PM
I have to say, this was honestly the best strawberry shortcake I've ever had. Easy and yummy, can't beat that eh? :D maggie

1 box (9 ounces) plain cake mix
1/2 cup water divided
1 egg
1 can (1 pound, 5 ounces) strawberry pie filling

2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup sugar

Note: if strawberry pie filling not availabe, use frozen sliced strawberries. Thaw 1 pound package strawberries and pour into saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons sugar. Heat to a simmer, add 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespooons cold water. simmer mixture 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool. Makes about 2 cups filling. (I just used my fresh picked berries, and it worked just fine).

Combine cake mix, 1/4 cup of the water and the egg in a mixing bowl. Beat 2 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup water and beat 2 minutes longer. Pour batter into greased and lightly floured 8X8X2 baking pan. Bake at 350F for 25-30 miutes until done. cool 10 minutes on rack. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack. cut cake in half, making2 strips 4x8 inches. Place on e strip of cake on baking pan or ovenproof flat plate. Spoon off 1/3 cup of strawberry filling and store for future use. Spread half of remaining pie filling on cake strip. Top with second cake strip and spread the rest of the pie filling on cake.

Beat egg whites with creame of tartar until frothy. Slowly add the sugar, beating until meringue stands in peaks. Spoon eringue over strawberry layer, making swirls with spoon. Bake at 425F for 4-5 mins until lightly browned.

(It works without the meringue part too, I couldn't get it to "peak" so I gave up).