PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Atkins

Beastlover
06-18-2003, 07:58 PM
I just started Atkins on Monday 6/16. I had been watching my carb intake for a week or so, and lost 5 pounds! I got my first tag and am THRILLED! I went to the book store to get the book, and the first thing I saw was the "120 day journal" for the Atkins diet plan. I took that as a sign and got the book!! I did my shopping for the induction period and so far so good! I'm only on day 3, and tried the pee strips (forgot the name of them!) just to get an idea as to where I am. I came up with the dark pink on that read 40? Today has been a challenge, I am craving sugar.....Anyone have any advice or ideas for me???? Thanks!!

nativetxn
06-18-2003, 08:07 PM
There is a supplement available in health food stores called L-Glutamine. Atkins says that this will cut your sugar cravings.

I would take the heavy cream and whip it with splenda for my husbands "sweets" cravings. Put it on sugar free jello and it really helps.

Sounds like you are already doing great, can't wait to see how much you lose at the end of the first week of induction.

If your Ketostix is pink then you are in ketosis. Your appetite should be leaving you soon because of that, that is very helpful when that happens.

Try the sugar free jello and whipped cream. You can do this, you can do without sugar. In a week or two you won't want it anymore. Honest.

Katholyn

DixieDreamer
06-18-2003, 08:07 PM
It sounds like you are ON YOUR WAY! Congratulations for choosing a low carb way of eating. I hope you find it as rewarding as I have.

As for advice/ideas - here are few I would offer:

Prepare items in advance so that meals and snacks are easy - and going off plan not a temptation. I usually roast a large pan of chicken thighs or other meat on Sunday and then put it in the refrigerator - so I can grab a quick lunch or snack - just add a good salad and you are good to go! I also prepare a large tub of "meat salad" usually tuna or diced chicken mixed with mayo and some chopped onion and celery. This makes a great salad for lunch... just serve a scoop on a bed of romaine lettuce or spinach leaves and you have a lunch or dinner! I like to make devilled eggs and boil a dozen eggs to have on hand for snacks. Doing these things just makes eating low carb - so much simpler during the busy week days.

If you are hungry - eat. Eat of the legal foods - just limit your carbs and the foods that are "limited" in quantity (i.e. cheese and cream). You should not be hungry on this way of eating. As you move into a deeper state of ketosis your appetite will naturally decrease and you should take advantage of it then - but until then EAT! This goes against EVERYTHING we have been taught about eating - but trust me - you need to do that to transition smoothly from using glucosis as your primary fuel source - to using protein/fat as your primary fuel source.

Drink your water, and come here for support.

Wishing you LOTS of success - and more importantly - good health.

nativetxn
06-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Laura, you explain this so well, you really do. And you sound <i>comforting</i> when you explain Atkins to others...it's the most interesting thing to me:)

It's people like you who make WISH such a <b>magical</b> place.

jcemom
06-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Maybe I'm not the best one to be giving advice (since I quit Atkins last time at the end of induction)...BUT...I found that days 3 and 4 were THE WORST for sugar cravings, then after that, like a miracle, NO MORE CRAVINGS.

BTW, I've picked up Atkins again...I'm now at the end of day 4...and NO cravings this time at all. (This is the first chance I've had to get back on the boards, Katholyn, sorry for the delay. But NO headaches either this time. So far, so good!)

Barbruka
06-18-2003, 11:09 PM
Beastlover - Just wanted to tell you I just started Atkins too on Monday. Day 3 just about over for me too. Slight headache today, but no real cravings. Food is losing its appeal to me. Never thought that would happen! Hey, just curious where you got the ketosis strips? I know I should get some!

CyranoJones
06-19-2003, 08:55 AM
Wow! I just started Atkins on Monday too. On Tuesday I felt a little headachy and lightheaded but that was gone yesterday. And yesterday for the first time in a long time I noticed that I didn't have my normal mid-afternoon crash. I've had no cravings yet and I don't feel hungry between meals at all. For me, this is very different, as I tend to be a "grazer."

And for the heck of it I got on the scale this morning...4 lbs. less than on Monday!! Granted, it's probably just lost water weight at this point, but any move in the right direction is encouraging!!

And my biggest accomplishment so far? I'm down to one glass of diet Pepsi a day from 2 liters a day!! Over the next couple of days it will be easy to cut it out completely. Yay!!

Rhonda
06-19-2003, 09:10 AM
Congratulations! You're doing great!! Don't forget to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water every day! That's very important - especially when you're in ketosis! :)

Barbruka: I get my keto stix at Walmart - you have to ask the pharmacist because they're kept behind the counter.

Jomrog
06-19-2003, 11:36 AM
I treat myself to some diet rite tangerine with a dash of DaVinci vanilla syrup & a tblsp of cream. YUMMY! Even my DD loves it. It tastes like an orange creamsicle. If you like root beer floats, use diet root beer. Just know that the diet rite products contain splenda but other diet soda's contain aspartame & have been known to cause stalls in some people.

I'm glad that the Atkins eating plan is working for you. I really like it, too. I haven't missed a lot of the carbs that I thought I would.

Keep up the good work!!!:p

Beastlover
06-19-2003, 02:56 PM
You guys are awesome!! I am so glad to be here!! I bought my strips at Meijer, also had to ask the pharmacist. Today is better, I am finding lots of energy!! The advice has been great---thank you!:Pinkbounc I don't know when I am going to weigh again, I am thinking of waiting until the 2 week induction is over. Also, I got my "houseguest" yesterday and have not bloated too much!! Usually I gain 5-8 pounds before my "houseguest" comes. Didn't really happen this time!! I am also seeing a dr. about imbalances in my system, like HORMONES....they can really wreak havoc on a girl. I am so psyched!!:bounce:

I'll say my prayers for all of you!

jenfur
06-19-2003, 04:34 PM
I am planning on starting Atkins again on Monday ( why is it always easier to start on a Monday?) I do have a question about the ketosticks. I have bought a pack of 25 at Wal-mart under the name of thinstix, they were not behind the counter, but they were $12.97 (for 25 sticks!!!). Are the ones behind the counter cheaper?

Rhonda
06-19-2003, 04:42 PM
That's about how much they usually are! It's outrageous!

But - here's a neat trick! Take a scissors and cut them all in half - lengthwise! Then you'll have 50 skinny sticks! They work exactly the same - just thinner! :D

nativetxn
06-19-2003, 10:05 PM
I pay 17.97 for them at Meijer's. I ordered some online at www.netrition.com and they were only about $8 but I don't like them. The colors are strange and aren't even close to the colors shown on the label.

So I buy the Bayer brand. I'm weird, huh?

DixieDreamer
06-20-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by nativetxn
Laura, you explain this so well, you really do. And you sound <i>comforting</i> when you explain Atkins to others...it's the most interesting thing to me:)

It's people like you who make WISH such a <b>magical</b> place.

:o You should talk sweetie! You are the WISH board angel! :) Always a kind word of support.