PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I had for breakfast!!!

TerriP
06-17-2003, 02:22 PM
CHEESECAKE!! Yummy!! The cheesecake I asked you about last week (yes, it took me till last night to finally make it) turned out WONDERFUL!!!!! :p I had a slice of cheesecake with a couple strawberries on top aaaaannnnnndddd REAL Whipped Cream!!

I'm on a DIET...hahahahahaha....A DIET....that cracks me up! :p

BTW, I also made "fake" mashed potatos last night....cauliflower, butter, and pepper. I don't even LIKE cauliflower and I LOVED these fake tatos. I added a little sour cream and garlic....YUMMY! DH even suggested, after boiling, to bake them with chedder cheese on top for a baked tato effect! WOWZA!

Keep trying new things, gang...it really lifts your spirits and keeps you motivated! ;)

minniecarousel
06-17-2003, 02:38 PM
mmmm...both of those sound good - I need to try them!

wovenwonder
06-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Terri,
I have a few things I've been enjoying with Cauliflower. First is mashing them like you did with a potatoe masher. I usually use heavy cream, butter, salt & pepper.

Second is cooking until tender and then smashing with a fork on my plate. I then top it with any topping I would have put on a baked potatoe in the past ---- sour cream, butter, S&P, chives, cheddar cheese, broccoli, bacon, etc.

Third is cooking in chicken broth until tender. Puree the cauliflower in a blender with some of the chicken broth and cream cheese until it is the consistency of a cream based soup. Then add cheddar cheese and broccoli for a wonderful cream of broccoli soup. You can substitute the broccoli for other veggies to vary the 'cream soup'. Using cauliflower, asparagus, etc.
:D

nativetxn
06-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Good for you, Terri. Variety is, <i>indeed</i>, the spice of life. Great ideas. All sound yummy.

I'm making a beef pot roast right now. I sautee garlic and onions and brown the roast then cover with water and simmer most of the afternoon. When the meat is tender, I add frozen cauliflower and let it cook until the cauliflower is very soft. Scoop it up, add butter etc and yummy, I like to add a little of the broth to the mased "faux tatos".

Has anyone tried turnips this way? I think I'm going to try that today, just to see if it would be any good.

And where the heck can I find fresh rutabaga? I want to try those rutabaga fries. I suppose I'm going to have to break down and go to Meijers. I hate going to Meijers.

TerriP
06-17-2003, 03:45 PM
That sounds wonderful, Kath! I'll have to try that this weekend. I LOVE roast...it's what I always have for my birthday. Used to be roast with potatos and corn and rolls and CAKE! Yummy! Now it will be roast with fauxtatos and cheesecake!! Still Yummy!

BTW, I love the Meijers in Okemos. I used to do all my shopping there when I worked in Okemos...now I'm stuck with the little Meijers in Corunna. Just not as nice. But they do have good produce.

Good luck with your turnips!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WW - I've gotta try that soup. It sounds delicious! I love broccoli and cheese soup....yummy!! Thanks so much for the idea!! ;)