PDA

View Full Version : Essential summer foods -- and how to make them

SoonerKate
06-16-2003, 03:32 PM
I was thinking about the things that make summer summer, and a big part of that is food.

What food makes your summer? What's your favorite summer recipe?

For me, it's lemonade and key lime cream pie (which contains neither key limes nor cream, but it's still really good!).

Lemonade

1 Cup Lemon Juice
1 Cup Sugar
6 1/2 Cups Water

Mix the Lemon Juice and Sugar together until the Sugar is dissolved. Add water. Pour over ice and drink.

The original recipe is a little sweet for me (I like my lemonade pretty tart) so I cut out about a quarter cup of sugar, and adjust the water. Plus, I like the pulp so I always use fresh squeezed lemons. Bruised mint or berry puree is good mixed with lemonade, too.

Key Lime Cream Pie

Frozen Minute Maid Limeaid Concentrate
One tub of coolwhip (whatever kind you like..reduced fat, whatever)
One can sweetened condensed milk
premade graham cracker crust

Mix first 3 ingredients until smooth. Pour into crust. Stick in freezer until firm. Eat.

I'm all about quick and easy when it comes to desserts.

AJA55
06-16-2003, 07:21 PM
Yummy, Key Lime pie. My first taste was also my first trip to WDW. I was hooked! ! I buy the Key Lime juice and follow the recipe on the bottle. Beer in the "****" chicken is summer for me or for that matter any charcoal grilled junk. I'm the BBQer.

RRBB
06-17-2003, 08:48 AM
Watermelon!!!! That's the food that says summer for me. And best of all, no cooking required. :)

Beth E. (NJ)
06-21-2003, 05:25 PM
For me it's anything cooked on the grill.

Hamburgers with nice ripe tomatoes on potatoe rolls are a summer delight.

d.kurz
06-21-2003, 06:47 PM
For me the ultimate summer food is a tomato sandwich!

1 ripe home-grown tomato, sliced
2 slices wheat bread
1 slice american cheese
mayo
salt and pepper

slap it together, gobble it down. repeat as necessary. my mouth is watering!!!

yummy72
06-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Grilled vegetables fresh from the garden (or Farmer's Market!) or anything on the grill for that matter!!!

and BLT's with really good tomatoes...

Spinning
06-21-2003, 10:02 PM
DKutz: right there with you with the tomato sandwich but no cheese, lots of salt and Miricle whip! and fresh white or potato bread!

crazyforpooh
06-21-2003, 11:05 PM
Pick one fresh cuke cucumber - slice just right

2 slices of whole wheat bread or which ever you prefer

A little cains mayo

Pepper - fresh ground

A touch of salt.

Oh how I wish it were this time of year right now. I could use a cucumber sandwich.

Oh also anything on the grill and don't forget the CORN on the COB. YUMMY

SoonerKate
06-22-2003, 04:12 PM
I make those cucumber sandwiches, but I use cream cheese or herb butter instead of mayo. Sooo good!

loisg1
06-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Corn on the cob and grillin'.... when (of if) it's not raining!! :rolleyes:

Lois

gshoemate
06-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Fruit salad...watermelon, cantelope and blueberries with whipped cream on top.

monalsw
06-23-2003, 07:58 AM
on the grill-bbq chicken, veggie packs, burgers, hot dogs, etc

from the gardens-strawberries, corn on the cob, yellow squash (any way you can cook it!)

disneydeb
06-25-2003, 10:16 PM
nothing like a good potato salad, with grilled steak or bbq chicken, corn on cob, strawberry shortcake made with berrys fresh from field and homemade whipped cream yum with fresh brewed sweet tea with extra lemon

Trish Bessette
06-27-2003, 10:32 AM
Oh the joys of summer!:Pinkbounc

Nothing better than chicken kabobs on the grill, home made red potato salad, home made baked beans, corn on the cobb and top it off with my frozen peanut butter pie.

:cool: Now that I'm starving, I'm off to the grocery store and start my cooking!

Enjoy your weekend everyone.