PDA

View Full Version : Treading Water

tiggerlover
06-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Just curious to know if anyone can confirm what I was told today. We were at the community pool today trying to beat the heat and some friends and I decided to swim some laps and then tread water. We were talking amongst ourselves trying to figure out how much exercise treading water actual was when the life guard piped up and said that treading water for 45 minutes was the equivilent of running one mile. Can anyone comment on this? I am just curious how one figures something like this out.

Thanks!

nativetxn
06-14-2003, 02:55 PM
Treading water burns 0.028 calories/per minute/per pound of body weight

jogging 5 mph burns 0.072 calories/per minute/per pound of body weight

Running 6mph burns 0.077 calories/per minute/per pound of body weight.

I found that info <b>HERE</b> (http://www.zonehome.com/zlib0018.htm)

Luvinit
06-14-2003, 09:29 PM
Kath...you never cease to amaze me. Where do you find this stuff...how do you know where to look? Did anyone see the way she got jcemom to become a wish'er????? You are an incredible person!!!!

Tracy

TigH
06-15-2003, 09:07 AM
I would think that treading water would burn alot more calories than running a mile, hee hee! It sure seems hard when I am in the pool and try to tread water for more than a few minutes! I'd rather run the mile, but that's just me! ;)

tiggerlover
06-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I know I can always count on someone on the DIS to help me out.

Karen, I was doing ok until I hit 32 minutes, the last 8 were the hardest and I couldn't wait for the lifeguard to blow his whistle!