PDA

View Full Version : ? atkins.....

pajammatam
06-14-2003, 08:54 AM
I was seriously thinking of switching from atkins to another plan....trying to keep up with the protein and fat sometimes gets hard with an active lifestyle........

So I was thinking of just cutting out the White carbs (potatoes, pasta, rice, white bread etc)

I really like my fruits and veggies so if i just keep them as carbs will I be ok?

I have lost a total of 10 pounds and 10 inches so far and its only been 19 days so that is a good thing. But trying to make sure I dont have to many veggies and bring scrambled hamburg and cheese for lunch is getting kinda boring.................

Any suggestions? should I stay or should I go?:confused:

Thanks,
Tammie

Luvinit
06-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Thats a tough question. How much weight do you still need to lose?? If you start adding back in "fruit" carbs...but you stay under your ACE...then you should be okay...but you may not LOSE weight you might just stay where you are.

Have you read Dr. ATkins book...the one for "life"??? It explains on when and how to add fruits and carbs.

Sorry If I wasn't much help...I am sure Jody and some others will have alot more info for you. (they are my mentors...lol)

Congrads on your 10lbs loss!!

Tracy

DixieDreamer
06-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Sounds to me like you just need to move on to OWL. There is absolutely NO REASON to stay at induction levels for a long period of time. I would encourage you to read the section on OWL in the Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution - and begin adding in the "POWER OF FIVE" in a methodical manner. The first thing you add in is MORE VEGGIES, then NUTS, then BERRIES. Just be sure to do it in the slow and methodical manner.... I think you will find you continue to lose well AND enjoy your eating more.

Wishing you success.

Kabuli1
06-14-2003, 10:50 AM
Hi!

If you are seriously considering switching, you might look at Protein Power - it is very similar to Atkins, but does include more veggies and fruit. Someone posted an amazing success story about Protein Power awhile back. I did it for about a week as I was working my way down to Atkins. It is a low carb plan. The book I was using was called The 30 Day Low Carb Diet Solution or something like that.

websites: www.eatprotein.com
http://www.low-carb-diet-plans.com/protein_power.htm

The second one lists all kinds of different low-carb plans.

I'm sticking With Atkins - but one of these might be a better fit for you. Whatever works best!

Karyn

nativetxn
06-14-2003, 11:45 AM
I'll hold off on mailing your package until you decide what you want to do. I don't think you will want this stuff if you aren't following Atkins, so let me know.

I think the most important thing is for you to follow a program that works best for <i>you</i>. Just don't give up altogether.

You are really doing very well. Let us know what you decide to do :)

minniecarousel
06-14-2003, 11:55 AM
I was following the 40-30-30- plan (40% carbs, 30% protein & 30% fat) and had some success last fall. The carbs they suggest are in fruit, vegetables and high-fiber breads/grains. Again, lunch can be a challenge. This diet is also called "The Formula" and "The Zone". Don't mean to confuse you, but if you're unhappy with Atkins, you might look into one of those.

(I also think it may be time for you to add fruit and more low-glycemic vegetables.)

jcemom
06-14-2003, 12:17 PM
I have a question...how do any of you stick with Atkins long-term? I tried and just couldn't do it. I did lose 10 lbs in 12 days...then just self-destructed! :(

I DID feel better, much more energy and all that...but I got bored with the limited variety of foods. (I know...I quit during induction...but just looking at owl--add another salad? maybe a few berries? Still didn't sound too good to me.)

The first week I thought was great! Got used to all the water...actually STILL don't care for soda (tastes thick and gooey to me now--so that's good). Having bacon burgers was great (no bun, of course--still great)! But after a week, I felt like I was eating the same things over and over and over.:(

I probably will try again. Do I just have NO willpower or what? I just couldn't imagine eating the same things forever so I gave up. :(

P.S. I USED to LOVE pork rinds...:rolleyes:

nativetxn
06-14-2003, 03:39 PM
Hi <b>jcemom </b> Welcome to WISH. I hope you will be joining us here, WISH is a wonderful and caring place.

I have not become bored with the food. I added berries and more veggies and more whipped cream, low carb muffins, low carb tortillas etc. I mostly stick with meat, cheese and eggs though and I'm still not bored.

I believe that there is a perfect weight loss eating plan for everyone. Atkins happens to be perfect for my husband and I and neither of us plans to add sugar or flour back into our diets even after we reach goal weight. We just feel much better without the refined carbohydrates.

Other people prefer to continue to eat refined carbohydrates so they follow WW or similar low fat plans. Whatever plan works for you is the plan you should choose.

I suppose my personality is better suited to eating no sugar at all instead of a little bit of sugar or flour. One bite of foods containing those products just makes me want more and more and more. I'm rather like an alcoholic. One drink is too many and 10 aren't enough....for me it's one oreo is too many and 10 aren't enough. Atkins just suits my personal needs and my personality.

You need to find an eating plan you can live with for the rest of your life, not just until you lose your weight. Have you tried any other eating plans?

Katholyn

jcemom
06-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the reply!
I haven't tried any other "plans" so to speak, but have never had much luck with diets in general. Sticking to something for 2 weeks was probably a record for me! LOL Like I said, no willpower! (I usually don't even make it past the first day!)

And I know what you mean about the Oreos! I can easily eat 1/2 package...I'm probably lucky I don't weigh MUCH, MUCH more...but the older I get the harder it seems to be to lose, and the easier to gain. :(

I must admit that even after only 2 weeks, I was surprised at how much better I felt in general. It wasn't the weight (I'm sure that was pretty much all water weight), but that I didn't feel the need for that mid-afternoon nap I've been wanting for the past couple of years, and once I made it through the first 3 or 4 days I didn't have even one headache, which I usually have most every day.

That makes me feel even worse that I gave up! Maybe I should try again and hang around here for encouragement?

I thought atkins was perfect for me because though I don't care much for eggs, I am a definite carnivore! LOL Steaks, burgers, pork chops...I'll take it all. My mom says growing up I'd eat anything if she put cheese on top! LOL

jcemom
06-14-2003, 04:48 PM
The more I think about it...maybe it's just that I'm so used to seeing that "food pyramid" plate in front of me, you know, meat - potato or rice - veggie - fruit - glass of milk. Maybe it's just "conditioning?"

nativetxn
06-14-2003, 04:53 PM
I think you are probably right, we eat foods we grow up with and are used to eating.

One thing that has worked well for me is to not confine myself to traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. I eat cheeseburgers or shrimp scampi, or pepperoni slices with mozarella cheese melted on top. It keeps me from getting bore.

Once I got into ketosis, though, I stopped being hungry at all. So, most days I have to remind myself to eat, a new experience for me.

I hope you will decide to join us, here on WISH. We have experts in all kinds of eating plans, here and a support group made up of emotionally generous and helpful people. I love it here.

Katholyn

jcemom
06-14-2003, 05:23 PM
Okay...I'm giving it another go...starting tomorrow! LOL Really!

I just need an "attitude adjustment" as my mother would say! (And a cheeseburger for breakfast sounds pretty good...)

The last couple of days before I gave up I WASN'T hungry...that surprised me also. That has never happened with a diet...usually people "on diets" are always hungry, huh?

I didn't quit out of hunger, or cravings, or anything like that. I think I just developed a negative attitude. I kept thinking "I can't ever have THAT again," etc. (Like on any other diet you could eat bacon cheeseburgers! LOL)

Thanks again!

DixieDreamer
06-14-2003, 06:34 PM
jcemom - I sincerely wish you success. Once you are through your two week induction... be sure to check out the low carb recipes posted here on the WISH board. Also ... you might want to check out the following:

Low Carb Recipe Site #1 (http://www.carb-lite.au.com/index.html)

Classic Low Carb Chicken Recipes (http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6890)

Low Carb Recipe Site #2 (http://home.hawaii.rr.com/gkbopp/Food/GALATEA/RECIPES/index.htm)

Low Carb Recipes Site #3! (http://headed-west.com/sherries_recipes.htm)

As you can see... there is absolutely NO reason to become bored on this way of eating. And as you noted... you feel better, you are not hungry between meals, and the weight DOES come off - and it is not all water either! LOL! I have lost almost 40 pounds and kept it off.

Poohbear123
06-14-2003, 07:08 PM
Because you can have an Omelet for Dinner!:teeth: DH and I just had a Cheese Omelet for dinner along with Bacon, Yum!;)

pajammatam
06-15-2003, 06:35 AM
Thanks guys!
traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. I eat cheeseburgers or shrimp scampi, or pepperoni slices with mozarella cheese melted on top. It keeps me from getting bore.

I think maybe that was my problem always having bacon and eggs "every morning" when I have been raised on cereal and fruit forever. Maybe if I swap my meal plan around a little and add dinners for breakfast and lunch for dinner and a few berries here and there I will be all set.. I was finding that there is sometimes a problem at work with fellow co-workers and patients bringing in "goodies" a few times a week and If I had some fruit to snack on I would be happy.

So I will stick to atkins it really is not a bad way of eating and I am feeling better and looking better. Starting to get a few compliments my way and who knows, maybe that is what I need to keep me going.

Thanks again,
Tammie

TigH
06-15-2003, 09:11 AM
Hi, Tammie!

I don't have any Atkins advice, just want to say good luck and that I hope you stick around!!! You were smart to post, because I know I've seen some yummy looking recipes and meal ideas from the Atkins crew! :) Good luck and keep moving onward and downward!!!!

nativetxn
06-15-2003, 11:27 AM
Good for you, Tammy. Hang in there. Don't restrict yourself to traditional foods for any meal and you won't get bored.

I'm going to be sending you a surprise next week :)