PDA

View Full Version : I am in.....KETOSIS!

Poohbear123
06-13-2003, 08:58 PM
:bounce: :Pinkbounc I am sooo thrilled!;) I have 2 shades to go before I hit the MAIN one!:eek: ;) COOL! THANKS Gang for the INFO!;)

nativetxn
06-13-2003, 09:40 PM
You are already in ketosis if you see any color change at all. That is excellent! I can't get past the next to the last color but I'm still in ketosis and so are you :)

Good for you, you are burning your own fat for fuel :)

Jomrog
06-13-2003, 10:57 PM
Yahoo! Can't wait to see your results!!:bounce:

DixieDreamer
06-13-2003, 11:05 PM
Doing the happy dance for you! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Luvinit
06-14-2003, 10:07 AM
Pooh...like Kath said don't get discouraged if it doesn't go to the very darkest level...you are still in Ketosis. My DH doctor told him that..some people never get past the trace amount...but their body is still burning fat. Don't let that be the main measure of your success.

But WAY TO GO anyway!!!!

Tracy

IheartMickey
06-14-2003, 10:19 AM
I am very confused at the moment. ... Do you all change colors while on Atkin's?

DixieDreamer
06-14-2003, 10:29 AM
IheartMickey - LOL! No we do not change colors! However, you may use a ketone testing strip to see if you are in ketosis (burning fat rather than glucose - which is the goal of a low carb plan). If it changes color - you are in ketosis. Some believe that the darker the color the "deeper" you are in ketosis... but this is a myth. Here is a great link that explains it all!

Ketosis and ketone testing strips (http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html)

dandave
06-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Congratulations Poohbear!! :D

Thanks for clearing up the ketosis thing for me, too, guys. I thought the deeper purple meant deeper ketosis, as well. I was getting a little worried, because I've never reached the deepest purple. Great info!

Rhonda
06-14-2003, 07:42 PM
Nope! You don't have to worry about how deep pink or purple you are! As long as you are registering as pink, then you are in Ketosis and you are burning fat! Deeper purple doesn't mean you're burning more fat. :) :)

Poohbear123
06-14-2003, 08:02 PM
:bounce: :Pinkbounc WOW! Thanks for the info, I had NO idea! DH is also thrilled now too, he thought he had to be in DEEP Purple:rolleyes: in order to be in Ketosis!:rolleyes: ;) COOL! He is :Pinkbounc around the room too......(not a pretty site by the way).:o

nativetxn
06-14-2003, 09:45 PM
LOL! Okay, you made me giggle, Faith.

pajammatam
06-15-2003, 07:47 AM
You don't have to worry about how deep pink or purple you are! As long as you are registering as pink, then you are in Ketosis and you are burning fat! Deeper purple doesn't mean you're burning more fat.

Then I guess after 18 days I am still in Ketosis! Mine is in the moderate color so that is a good thing I am still there.

Thanks guys i think you just made my day.

Tammie:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Poohbear123
06-15-2003, 04:04 PM
I LOST 6 POUNDS!!!:eek: :bounce: :Pinkbounc DH has lost 8 Pounds!:bounce: This is since June 6th!

minniecarousel
06-15-2003, 08:06 PM
I couldn't get to that link - what can someone tell me about "ketoacidosis"? That sounds dangerous - but is it only a problem for people with diabetes? The insert that came with my ketostix makes the whole thing sound like a problem!

nativetxn
06-15-2003, 10:37 PM
If you are a diabetic (usually type I insulin dependent) and your blood sugar is 250+ for 3 days or more <i>and</i> you show the presence of ketones in your urine then you are in ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis is a dangerous medical condition resulting in too much acid in the blood.

<i>Ketosis</i>, on the other hand, is a healthy condition and to be desired if you are trying to lose weight.

All ketosis means is that your body is using your own fat as fuel. The ketones are the by products of that process.

Atkins is a ketogenic diet and that means that your body uses the fat you eat and the fat you have stored on your body for fuel.

As a comparison, Weight Watchers is a glucogenic diet. That means that everyone following WW uses glucose from the carbohydrates that they eat as fuel. That process is called glucosis.

Ketosis=very good
Ketoacidosis=very bad

KarenNY
06-15-2003, 10:50 PM
I didn't buy the Ketostix, but I figure I'm in ketosis because I'm losing.

minniecarousel
06-15-2003, 11:08 PM
Thanks Kath - it's nice to have folks here who understand this stuff & explain it to us!
I kept putting off getting the ketostix, but couldn't resist having one more piece of proof that I'm losing!!