PDA

View Full Version : WISH walkers...How's it going???

lmhall2000
06-12-2003, 11:50 PM
Wanted to check in to see how everyone is trying to prepare for this marathon- anyone else daunted by trying to maintain a 16 minute mile for 13 miles!! (Can we wear those shoes that change into skates- maybe noone will notice)

But I do have good news to report- I've maintained walking atleast 20 miles a week for 3 weeks now. And I walked the treadmill at the Y tonight for 20 minutes at 3.7 and 10 minutes at 4.0- 3 weeks ago my heart rate would spike above 180 after just 1 minute at 4.0 but tonight at minute 5 my heart rate was only at 166- good cardio rate for my age. And I shaved 3 minutes off my 4 mile walk on Tuesday- so even with the extra 65 pounds I'm carrying I'm moving faster.

Just wanted to see what all you guys are doing to get ready- I'm really focusing on losing these 65 pounds and hoping my speed will increase as I lose.

GO WALKERS GO!!!
Tara

karebear1
06-13-2003, 12:27 AM
Tara- WOW!! I am so impressed with you! You are a woman on a mission aren't you! Maybe you should be leading the group!

I have finally begun walking some. I've walked a total of 4 miles this week- which is pretty darn good for me. But, my plan and dream is still to be there in Jan. 2005 with bells on my shoes and walking that 1/2 marathon! I'm still very excited about it. After the first 3-4 weeks of doing the WATP 1 mile tape, I'll increase to the 2 mile tape and so on. Then , probably by the fall, I'll start walking the hills in my neighborhood with all those miles at once. It will take a while to get my stamina up- but I think this will be an excellent way to do it! My neighbor across the street runs marathons and said he would help me train. But first, I really need to concentrate the weight loss- so far I'm at -18 lbs since I joined WISH and -28 lbs. all together. I still have about 115-125 lbs. to lose!

I am so proud of you ! What an inspiration you are - THANKS!!!

nativetxn
06-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Tara! You are doing great with your walking! 20 miles a week? That's incredible.

I am still on the one pound WATP dvd, I don't think I'm marathon material. But you, my friend, sound like you are going to do great in that 2005 marathon!