PDA

View Full Version : Atkins diet & pooping???

cart-mom
06-12-2003, 11:19 PM
I'm sorry for the subject of this thread and please forgive me if this has already been discussed but DH & I started Atkins together and while I have no trouble with a regular constitutional, DH is having a really hard time :(

Anyone have any suggestions on helping the matter any? He doesn't like to take pills (unless they are vitamins) and thinks that he should be adding something to his diet to ease things along.

TIA. Jenn:D

Luvinit
06-12-2003, 11:34 PM
We have talked about this before...but thats okay...because everyone gets to each stage at different times...so we talk about it again.

Now as far as pooping...during the first 2 weeks...you really do have to drink ALOT of water to flush your system. I know it is normal to be stopped up. There is not really anything you can add during induction...just make sure he eats his salad and drink drink drink water.

I think the reason for this is b/c your body is metabolising the foods differently now...so it makes it harder to go. If I am wrong..somebody correct me.

Good Luck

Tracy

minniecarousel
06-13-2003, 12:42 AM
Ading psyllium to the diet usually helps. (ie - metamucil) I finally decided that I needed it. I might not use it every day, but it helps without feeling like a laxative! I made sure to get the sugar-free. I mix a teaspoon of it with about a half a bottle of non-carbonated sugar-free flavored drink. (we have "diet ice" here) Good luck!

cart-mom
06-13-2003, 12:43 AM
Thanks! I told him to increase his water and he thought I was nuts. He thinks he's drinking enough but he works for UPS and it's been rally humid here the last few days so he's sweating more. He does eat a salad every night. I'll just have him try more water and see how that goes.

Thanks! Jenn

wovenwonder
06-13-2003, 08:10 AM
Milk of Magnesia should do the trick. Also -- higher doses [500+] of Magnesium at bedtime to replenish what he's lost thru his extra water consumption and that should help too.

For daily fiber therapy. Metamucil is excellent for everyone --- and should help over time.
:D

rbuzzotta
06-13-2003, 08:21 AM
Have him eat 2 Carb-o-lite bars for breakfast!!! LOL!! It sure helped me!!!

I take Senna tablets periodically to help with the constipation.....

house_of_princesses
06-13-2003, 09:40 AM
There's an herbal tea called Smooth Move. First time you try it, make sure you're not too far from home. Test his body with it. Another thing is acidopholous capsules (acidol... is found in yogurt, but I don't think yogurt is on the Atkins menu.). Can you eat fruit? If so, an apple, followed by a pear, then an apple. MUST eat the skin. Cleans my children clear through!

elisebutt
06-13-2003, 09:58 AM
LOL - love these threads!!! I have the opposite problem - I think that's the reason I'm losing so fast. My digestive tract seems to be working at full throttle.

Basic fibre tablets and loads of water should clear it up tho.

dizneegirl
06-13-2003, 10:15 AM
Flax.

Try making bran/flax muffins, or eating flax cereal, or even adding flax to shakes or veggies or salads.

It's sooooo good for you (full of omega-3 fatty acids!), and almost nothing but fiber.

:)

SnackyStacky
06-13-2003, 10:19 AM
I'm not following Atkins, and I really don't have any suggestions since I'm not familiar with the plan, but man....I guess EVERYTHING is discussed here on WISH!!! LOL!

Just your friendly smartaleck comment....back to your usual programming.....