PDA

View Full Version : Disney Visa Rewards

qv09vvp
06-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Hi Everyone...I'm kinda new at this but I do have a few questions I haven't seen anywherer.

I want to know everything about the rDisney Visa rewards program, specifically redeeming for Disney Store certs vs Disney World certs.

I did find out you can't use a Disney Store reward & redeem it for disney dollars. (info via local disney store) So , since we are heading for disney in mid -july, i opted for the Disney World Rewards.

Has anybody used them or had any problems with using the Disney World Rewards at any restaurant or store?

Also, the actual reward dollars give you "examples" of usage. Like 20 dollars off a 50 dollar purchase. Can anyone confirm that you can use the 20 dollars on just 20 dollars of merchandise?

Eilonwy
06-12-2003, 06:30 PM
I haven't tried using them, yet so I don't know for sure. But I seem to remember reading that if you used a $20 cert for something less than $20 you wouldn't get the difference back. But I would HOPE you could use a $20 cert for $20 worth of "stuff."

I think if you redeem it for DS cards, the balance just stays on the card until it's gone.

But don't quote me on all of that....I've earned about $27, but haven't redeemed yet. I'm holding off until closer to our trip.

Svenson
06-12-2003, 07:20 PM
We used $40 in Walt Disney World Dream Rewards at Cinderella's Royal Table for lunch a couple weeks ago. The total was about $58, and we gave two $20 certificates and a credit card for the difference. There was no problem whatsoever. They spent just like cash. :D

Eilonwy
06-13-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Svenson
We used $40 in Walt Disney World Dream Rewards at Cinderella's Royal Table for lunch a couple weeks ago. The total was about $58, and we gave two $20 certificates and a credit card for the difference. There was no problem whatsoever. They spent just like cash. :D

Thanks! Good to hear someone's real life experience with these things.

I see that they now only come as $10 certs., which is probably better, because then you can use them for more "less expensive" dining options. Not to mention be able to redeem for multiples of 10 instead of 20! I'm leaning towards getting these when I'm ready to cashout instead of DS cards.

Paul in CT
06-14-2003, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know where we can get a list of "participating" restaurants at WDW where the Disney Visa reward certificates can be redeemed? :confused:

Eilonwy
06-15-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Paul in CT
Does anyone know where we can get a list of "participating" restaurants at WDW where the Disney Visa reward certificates can be redeemed? :confused:

As far as I know, no "official" lists exists....:(

Paul in CT
06-16-2003, 06:40 PM
Sue B.,

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen a list either, but it's good to know that some have been successful in using their credits at WDW. We plan to go to several EPCOT and BW restaurants in August and I am hoping that they honor them without "hassle". If not, I will not continue to use the card, especially if the restaurant list is very selective.

welovedis
06-17-2003, 05:38 PM
You can use the Disney Reward Dollars just like Disney Dollars from our experience. We tend to use our charge card for everyday expenses (groceries, fuel, post office, etc...) then we pay the balance off. Now we are just charging everything to the Disney Visa to earn the reward dollars and paying the balance off when the statement comes. As you can imagine we have quite alot of these to spend now.

We spent these on our May trip and we used them at the counter service restaurant at the Poly & at Epcot (can't rememeber where but it was a counter service deal too). At first we had a couple of people who needed help entering them into the register. I would think that by now they probably have the procedure "down pat" and you won't run into any problems.

Also--the above poster is correct, you do not get change back from these so make sure you spend at least $10 or $10 whatever the denomination is that you get.

For our July trip I will just be using these at the resort to pay the hotel bill since I am not paying the balance in advance.
HTH!

bnlbebes
06-20-2003, 02:15 PM
I was planning on using my rewards toward Park Hoppers bought at the Disney Store, but as I found out DS reward dollars can only be used toward "merchandise." Luckily however, the CM I talked to at Disney Visa said that all stores at WDW should accept the rewards. She gave me an interesting way to tell the difference in usage of rewards:

DS Dream Dollars - for use at stores (whether in mall, at parks, or on-line/catalog)
WDW Dream Dollars - for use at parks for things used at parks (tickets, meals, hotel stays)

So at least we'll get to use the cards for a few souveniers.

PatriciaH
06-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Since the Disney Visa rewards are now in $10 amounts is that all you need to order a reward (10 points) or do you still need at least 20 points?

Eilonwy
06-20-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by PatriciaH
Since the Disney Visa rewards are now in $10 amounts is that all you need to order a reward (10 points) or do you still need at least 20 points?

Taken from the website, under Manage Rewards--Shop Rewards Catalog:

"A minimum order amount of 20 Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM is required."

Eilonwy
06-20-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by bnlbebes
I was planning on using my rewards toward Park Hoppers bought at the Disney Store, but as I found out DS reward dollars can only be used toward "merchandise." Luckily however, the CM I talked to at Disney Visa said that all stores at WDW should accept the rewards. She gave me an interesting way to tell the difference in usage of rewards:

DS Dream Dollars - for use at stores (whether in mall, at parks, or on-line/catalog)
WDW Dream Dollars - for use at parks for things used at parks (tickets, meals, hotel stays)

So at least we'll get to use the cards for a few souveniers.

Thanks for the info.

But does that mean that you can't use the WDW certs for merchandise at WDW stores?

Guess I'll just use my DDRD for food, and use my regular DD for everything else.

bnlbebes
06-20-2003, 08:04 PM
That's the info I got re: using your WDW vouchers. They were only good for "usable" things at the parks. If you want more reassurance, I would say to go ahead and call Disney Visa directly.

Magix
06-24-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by bnlbebes
That's the info I got re: using your WDW vouchers. They were only good for "usable" things at the parks. If you want more reassurance, I would say to go ahead and call Disney Visa directly.

I called the folks at Disney Visa and they connected me to Disney Rewards for info on this. You can use your WDW DDRD for both merchandise and restaurant purchases in WDW (they said to double check with the location first, just to be sure, but a good rule of thumb is that anyplace that takes credit cards should, theoretically, take DDRD). You can also use them at the Disney hotels (food, merch, front desk charges).

Also, you CAN use your DS DDRD for advance ticket purchases at Disney Store - if their CMs tell you otherwise, they're definitely wrong. You should speak with their manager about it.

You do need to have 20 DDRD for each redemption.

And, no, no "official" list of excluded locations exists.

Hope this info helps! :)

qv09vvp
06-25-2003, 08:45 AM
Thanks! I'm definately going to test this out when I get up there in July. I stopped using my Disney Visa & switched back to my American Express. I sure miss my Disney Club card because I just don't feel like I'm getting a big payoff from using the Disney Visa, especially since I can't use it for Disney Dollars (the big reward in my house). :(

Pink Flamingo
06-26-2003, 03:49 PM
We typically put all our park charges on our room card when at WDW. Does anyone know if you can use the reward dollars toward the charges on your room card? Thanks in advance.

bnlbebes
06-30-2003, 09:10 PM
I just got back today from WDW and was unable to use the Disney Store Dream Dollar reward cards that I had earned. I only tried using them once at the Christmas Shop in MGM and was told that I couldn't use them there, but I might be able to use them at the Disney store in Downtown Disney. At that point, I was frustrated and put the card into my luggage to use at the Disney Store at home.

I am upset to hear that someone else found out that the rewards can be used toward advance theme park tickets. Why can't this get straightened out? I am considering seeking out a new rewards card as well. If the card is this confusing to use, it just may not be worth it!

Magix
07-01-2003, 01:07 PM
If you want to use your DDRD at TDS, get the TDS Card. If you want to use your DDRD at WDW, get the WDW certificate. If you want to use your DDRD at DL, get the DL certificate. Not so hard to understand. Each one is good at the location specified on it.

Pink Flamingo - Yes, you could do that.

qv09vvp
07-03-2003, 09:32 PM
that you can order Reward $ for things you haven't even paid for yet on the Disney Visa. This is totally unlike American Express, where your "reward" points only accumulate based on what you've paid off on the card. I was able to order some Reward $ before paying off this month's balance with no problem. ( I was worried they wouldn't get here in time for our trip in 2 weeks, so I was checking out the site for closing dates & just decided to try...and tada, it let me order them with no problem.) :Pinkbounc
Well, that is one benefit to this card I guess.

Eilonwy
07-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by qv09vvp
that you can order Reward $ for things you haven't even paid for yet on the Disney Visa. This is totally unlike American Express, where your "reward" points only accumulate based on what you've paid off on the card. I was able to order some Reward $ before paying off this month's balance with no problem. ( I was worried they wouldn't get here in time for our trip in 2 weeks, so I was checking out the site for closing dates & just decided to try...and tada, it let me order them with no problem.) :Pinkbounc
Well, that is one benefit to this card I guess.

I know you'll make your payment ;) , but just know that they will take the points back if you don't. Don't know what they do if you've already cashed them in? But I do know there was wording in the guide that they will take back points if you don't keep your account current.

Got our statement today, and we've got 38 so far!!

I hope your certs come in time. :)

JOLAROCHE
07-05-2003, 09:49 PM
I HAVE THE DISNEY VISA CARD AND JUST CASHED IN FOR $50.00 FOR WDW. I ALSO HAVE ANOTHER VISA THAT I USE. THIS CARD I BELIEVE IS FROM MBNA BANK. IT IS ALSO A REWARD CARD. I FOUND OUT I CAN GET SIMON GIFT CARDS FROM THIS CARD AND THIS IS A MALL. I THEN WENT TO THE DISNEY STORE AND GOT $75.00 DISNEY DOLLARS. SO SEE IF ANY OF YOUR REWARD CARDS HAVE SIMON ON IT.

JO ANN

42 DAYS AND COUNTING