PDA

View Full Version : Father's Day may be a toughie on me

imgoingtodisney
06-12-2003, 12:26 PM
DH chose to go to Wright's Chicken Farm for his Father's Day dinner. They serve family style all you can eat Chicken (we ask for all white meat), pasta, fries, roll and salad. Usually I have chicken, pasta, roll & salad. I was thinking I could have 3 chicken breasts and salad. I put that into fitday and came out wayyy too much for the chicken, gotta cut back to 2 breasts.

Anyone else gonna have a tough Father's Day?

addicted_to_WDW
06-12-2003, 12:36 PM
I asked DH what he wanted to do, and he wants to eat in which makes it very simple. He loves steak, so I'll use a low carb marinade and go to town. :) The only problem will be with the potato salad he's requested, but I'll just have to have willpower and abstain.

nativetxn
06-12-2003, 12:40 PM
No challenges here. My husband is also on Atkins so things are simple. He is determined not to waiver from his plan so we will be 100% legal for father's day.

Is it fried chicken, Barb? If it's fried you might think about adding more veggies and a salad and cutting back to one chicken breast.

imgoingtodisney
06-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Nope not fried
I may need to have my own bowl of salad - its big enough we usually just all take from the one

dizneegirl
06-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by addicted_to_WDW
The only problem will be with the potato salad he's requested, but I'll just have to have willpower and abstain.

Make either a faux-tato salad (just replace the potato with cauliflower in your favorite recipe), or make half with potato, half with cauliflower for yourself. You wouldn't even know it was cauliflower to eat it.

Here's a good faux-tato salad recipe:

Helen's "Potato" Salad (from Linda's Low Carb Menu & Recipes)

16 oz. bag frozen cauliflower
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 green onions
3 T. yellow mustard
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 t. pepper, or to taste
1/2 t. salt, or to taste

Cook the cauliflower until soft, but not mushy; drain well. Cool, then cut in small pieces. Mix the mustard with the mayonnaise, then mix all ingredients into the cauliflower. Chill at least 2 hours. Makes 6-8 servings (6 servings - 6 carbs) (8 servings - 4 carbs)

NOTE: I used white onion, instead of the green (probably 1/4 cup). This is really good! Believe it or not, it actually DOES taste a lot like potato salad. I usually use more mayo & mustard, as well.

anniet
06-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Ohhhhh yeahhhh!! Big time challenge any time I go to visit the parents! (I'm sure some of you remember my last visit-meatballs, sausages stuffed shells...)

I'm thinking of just going down on Saturday with a card and gift-maybe that way I can spend some time with my Dad without a big dinner hanging over my head. He won't have time to cook because he goes to the church in the afternoon where he works (coordinates the collection, the gifts getting to the altar and all that...yeah I know, I'm the daughter of a saint and I tell him I'm getting into heaven on his coattails!:) ) But without time for him to cook, I'll get to spend some quality time with him and dodge the food issue!

Wishing pixie dust and good luck to all that may need help this weekend, and a Very Happy Father's Day to all the Fathers out there!

TigH
06-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Sending you pixie dust to get through the meal! Can you just make it a cheat day and then get back on program after?

We are cooking out at my parent's house and I'll bring our own WW food, so no problem sticking to the plan, phew! :)

imgoingtodisney
06-12-2003, 02:21 PM
dont want to have any cheat days until July 3 when I take DS to Indian Head, NH for 4days. Even then Id rather wait till July 18th
Im afraid once I start there I'll gooooooooooo

addicted_to_WDW
06-12-2003, 02:39 PM
dizneegirl - Thank you! I'll give that a try. We all like cauliflower so maybe he won't feel ripped off. ;) :)