PDA

View Full Version : need fool-proof apple pie recipe!

FINFAN
06-12-2003, 07:56 AM
Hi, I am new to this board, you guys are fun!:p O.K. The reason I am new here is I am a disaster in the kitchen, baking from scratch does not apply to me, but now I have to, or at least sort of! Our neighborhood block party is on the 22 and the theme is country fair. There is an apple pie contest, and I don't want to be the pie that makes the judge sick. Can anyone suggest a fairly simple but yummy recipe? I would prefer to use the ready made crust if possible.
Thanx!

jlp651
06-12-2003, 08:26 AM
Peel and cut your apples...LOTS OF EM...THEY COOK DOWN
Butter
Cinnamon, Sugar
Pilsbury pie crust...where you would find the cinnamon rolls and such-NOT A FROZEN ONE...

PREHEAT YOUR OVEN AT 350
LINE YOUR PIE DISH WITH THE FIRST PILSBURY CRUST...
LAYER APPLES, BUTTER, SUGAR, CINNAMON
***DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVEN THINK ABOUT USING ANYTHING BUT BUTTER-IT WON'T TURN OUT RIGHT****

CONTINUE LAYERING UNTIL THE APPLES TOWER OVER THE TOP OF THE PIE TIN. COVER WITH THE 2ND PIE CRUST...

CHECK THE RED AND WHITE CHECKERED BETTY CROCKER COOKBOOK FOR HOW LONG TO PUT IT IN THE OVEN FOR...AND YOU'RE DONE...

Is this easy enough??? My family loves it! Hope this helps
-J

piratesmate
06-12-2003, 08:50 AM
I use the Pillsbury crusts from the dairy case also. Make sure you take the crust out of the refrigerator ~ 20 min before lining your pan. I've never been happy with the microwave instructions if I forget to get it out ahead of time. The crust will crack (it's folded to fit in the box) along the fold lines if it isn't room temp.

For the easiest pie ever - (DS used to make this when he was 12)

Line a pie pan with the crust. Pour in 1 or 2 cans of prepared apple pie filling (depends on the size - check the can for how big a pie it will fill). You can either cut another crust into strips & make a lattice top or - make crumbs with 1/2 cup Jiffy or Bisquick, 1 - 2 tsp cinnamon & 1 - 2 Tbl sugar. I use it just like that, but you can also cut in ~2 Tbl butter or margarine to get lumpy crumbs. Bake according to the instructions on the can of filling or box of crust.

For a "scratch" recipe:

3 cups diced or sliced apples
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tbl flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon or nutmet, or apple pie spice
2 Tbl "rich milk"
2 Tbl butter

Mix apples, sugar, flour & spice together until well blended. Line pie pan with crust & place mixture in unbaked crust. Add rich milk & dots of butter over the top. Place strips or crumbs on pie as desired. (If you are doing a lattice top, make sure you securely fasten the strips to the bottom crust when pinching.) Bake at 400 for 50 min.

[NOTE: This is an old recipe & rich milk refers to whole milk with LOTS of cream still in it. You could use table cream or half & half or just plain whole milk.]

I forgot to say that my favorite apples to use are Macintosh. They're a bit tart, which really works well with the sweetness of the pie.

piratesmate
06-12-2003, 08:56 AM
I just thought of this recipe (also an old PA Dutch recipe.) Not only is it easy, but might take you the prize! I doubt anyone else would make it!

Apple Butter Pie
1/2 cup apple butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbl cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups milk

Combine beaten eggs, sugar, cornstarch,cinnamon & apple butter. Mix well. Gradually add milk to the mixture & blend together. Pour into an unbaked pastry shell. Cut strips of dough 1/4" wide & create a lattice top. Bake at 375 for 35 min.

Meriweather
06-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Just skip the crust part and use the Pillsbury ones from the cold case.....I do :teeth:
The pie is delish!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apple and Dried Cranberry Pie

Recipe By :Bon Appetit, October 1993
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breakfast Breads Pies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, chilled -- cut 1 inch thick
8 tablespoons ice water
Filling
1 cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2 1/4 pounds pippin apples, peeled, quartered, cored -- thin sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons brandy
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg yok
1 teaspoon whipping cream

Crust: Blend flour, sugar and salt in processor. Add butter. Cut in using on/off turns until the butter is cut into 1/4" pieces. Add 7 tablespoons ice water and blend until moist clumps form, adding more water by
tablespoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball. Divide into two pieces. Flatten pieces into disks. Wrap in plastic. Chill at least 30 minutes. Let soften at room temp before rolling out.
Filling: Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 375F.
Combine cranberries, sugar, flour and allspice in large bowl.
Mix in apples, then brandy and vanilla extract.
Roll out 1 dough disk on floured surface to 13" round. Transfer to a 9" diameter pie dish.
Spoon in apple filling, mounding slightly in center.
Roll out second dough disk on floured surface to 13" round. Drape crust over filling. Trim overhang to 1/2". Press crust edges together; fold under. Crimp edge.
Stir yolk and cream in small bowl to blend. Brush over top(but NOT edge) of pie. Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
Bake pie until apples are tender and crust is golden (about 1 hour).
Transfer to rack. Let stand 1 hour. Serve pie warm or at room temp.

FINFAN
06-12-2003, 01:36 PM
These are awesome! I think I can handle the task. Thank you all so much...the blockparty isn't until the 21st, but I will post and let you know how it turns out!
Pam

FINFAN
06-21-2003, 12:17 AM
O.K. I was short on time and used Piratesmate's "scratch" recipe. It looks really yummy, but the true test will be by the judges tomorrow. I wish I could've made the pie then, but not enough time B4 the blockparty...wish me luck! I'm off to continue working on our mailbox design for that contest...we are making a ferris wheel and I need to find the X-mas light s to light it up with!

yummy72
06-21-2003, 11:50 AM
I just wanted to say good luck on your pie and mail box decorating contests! That sounds like fun. Dh and I are house hunting and we drove by a neighborhood last weekend having a big block party. Looked like so much fun, I would have bought a house on that street right then!

Have Fun!!
Candi