PDA

View Full Version : Do you pool hop?

WDWguru
06-11-2003, 07:23 PM
With all the discussion going on surrounding pool hopping recently, I thought it was time for a poll on the topic. Personally, DH and I have never hopped and I can't imagine a circumstance where we would. Seems like a huge pain to me to travel to another resort to swim, then have to get back all wet, or find a place to change clothes. Just wondering if we're in the minority.

Please restrict your answers here ONLY to your personal experience. The idea is to get a feel for how many people actually do use this perk, perhaps to give some relevance to the other discussions, not to justify whether or not the perk should continue.

CaptainMidnight
06-11-2003, 07:32 PM
We never have, but I'd still like to keep the priveledge at all the pools except SAB where crowding is prohibative.

We currently stick with the pool at the resort where we are staying, but that's been BCV and BWV and the pools are pretty nice. I might feel differently if the pool at my home resort wasn't as desirable.

JimC
06-11-2003, 07:36 PM
I agree with WDWguru. We enjoy other resorts during our visits but that is generally for a meal or just to enjoy the theming.

DeeP
06-11-2003, 08:12 PM
We used to pool hop from BWV to SAB when it was allowed. Going from BWV to SAB was very easy via the Friendship boats. The only other resort I have pool hopped from is OKW.

jodifla
06-11-2003, 08:17 PM
We used to pool-hop to SAB when it was allowed. Now we would likely go to zero entry pools, since we have a toddler.

We actually just added on at BCV so we'd have access to SAB in the future.

Overall, though, I'd hate to see this perk end.

CarolMN
06-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by JimC
I agree with WDWguru. We enjoy other resorts during our visits but that is generally for a meal or just to enjoy the theming.

Ditto for us.

Caskbill
06-11-2003, 08:29 PM
In ten years we've "pool hopped" just once, but I put that in quotations on purpose.

That one time, we were staying at BWV , but the pool was closed for refurbishment. DVC had a special launch going beetween BCV and BC (This is before BCV) just for using the SAB pool. It was a pontoon boat similar to the ones they have at OKW for going to DD, and was being used strictly to ferry guests from BWV to the BC Pool.

That made it very easy. But I'm not sure if technically it was pool hopping or not since for that trip, SAB was the designated pool for BWV guests.:p

JOC
06-11-2003, 08:35 PM
No; don't have the time nor inclination to pool hop.

KNWVIKING
06-11-2003, 09:36 PM
But that doesn't mean Never Will. We are already starting to spend less time in the parks and more time at the resorts. I can picture on our OKW trips spending time over at the VWL pool, not because the pool itself is the draw, the resort in general is just a great place to kick back. Personally, I don't think PH will be around in a few years, but I hope I'm wrong.

Disney Doll
06-11-2003, 09:50 PM
I'm usually happy to be at the pool where we are styaing. Pool hopping seems like kind of a pain in the neck to me.

DVCPAT
06-12-2003, 12:03 AM
We pool hop every trip. We usually eat lunch and go for a swim. The kids will visit the resort gift shop and buy a pin/toy. I enjoy driving around WDW just to see whats new and under construction. Valet parking makes it so easy.

Granny
06-12-2003, 12:04 AM
We have enjoyed pool hopping....at SAB while it was still allowed, and to the Poly for a break from MK.

To us, it was no hassle...we go in the summer so drying off is pretty quick!

Just another way to see the resorts, etc. We are thinking of hopping over to the GF this trip. :)

imgoingtodisney
06-12-2003, 06:38 AM
This past Dec we poolhopped over to our "home" VWL the day of Mickey's Christmas Party.
Because we ended up at WDW last min the only place Disney had room for us at 22hr notice for 8 consecutive nights was PO/FQ. I was determined to at least get a piece of "home".
So that Tues off we went to the Wilderness Lodge. (I did call ahead) We shopped, used the pool and visited friends over in the villas. They took us on a tour of their studio & 2-bedroom.

If we werent in this predicament not sure if we would have pool hopped.

DVC-Don
06-12-2003, 07:40 AM
Just once in 2001. We were staying at BWV and hopped over to SAB.

WDWDad
06-12-2003, 08:10 AM
We've PH everywhere possible except AS Resort. We think of it like going to a prk it is an entertainment destination. We swim,shop,eat, explore, trade pins. It is a wonderful way to explore the world ! Please don't take it away. We have found that the only place that seems unfriendly to PH was BW. Everywhere else we have been the CM's have been fantastic. No hassles at all.

DEH3rd
06-12-2003, 08:26 AM
uh-oh......

ducklite
06-12-2003, 09:00 AM
We did once. We were staying at the BWV and called over to the BC to see if SAB was busy (it was dead!) so we walked over and spent the afternoon there.

If it had been busy we wouln't have bothered.

Like most of you, I generally can't be bothered hopping to another resort to swim.

Anne

MiaSRN62
06-12-2003, 09:11 AM
Last year, while staying at OKW, we hopped over to the Poly volcano pool. My kids had fun swimming at OKW because they had made some friends there, but they really wanted to do the "volcano slide". I wish OKW had a slide. My kids are 10, 12 and 15.

ducklite
06-12-2003, 09:20 AM
Mia--The reason that OKW doesn't have a slide is that the state of Florida requires life guards be present at any pool that has a slide. If they had to staff with life guards, the dues would ahve to go up, and the members voted this idea down several times in teh earlier years of the resort being open.

Anne

KNWVIKING
06-12-2003, 09:38 AM
"Mia--The reason that OKW doesn't have a slide is that the state of Florida requires life guards be present at any pool that has a slide. "

I didn't think WDW had to abide by anybody's laws but their own. They're sorta their own little World.

ducklite
06-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by KNWVIKING
"Mia--The reason that OKW doesn't have a slide is that the state of Florida requires life guards be present at any pool that has a slide. "

I didn't think WDW had to abide by anybody's laws but their own. They're sorta their own little World.

Sorry--they still need to abide by all state, county, and local laws. They are not a government, they are a corporation.

Anne

KNWVIKING
06-12-2003, 09:53 AM
I know that Anne, I was just joking because in a lot of ways Disney is allowed to do almost whatever they want . They are actually allowed to construct & operate their own nuke powerplant, (course, if they ever tried to do that I think Uncle Sam would step in). They have their own on property residents that vote the way Disney wants them to. They are a very unique property.

Maistre Gracey
06-12-2003, 10:05 AM
I have never pool hopped, and likely never will.
However, I would like to see the privilege stay! :cool:

It should be noted that during my last VWL stay, the hot tub was full with people who were not staying at VWL or WL. We could not use the hot tub....:(

KNWVIKING
06-12-2003, 10:09 AM
If you get a chance, take the Keys to the kingdom tour. They talk about the unique deal Walt made with the state of Florida. They have powers no other corporations do. It's very interesting.

ducklite
06-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by KNWVIKING
They are actually allowed to construct & operate their own nuke powerplant, (course, if they ever tried to do that I think Uncle Sam would step in).

Can you imagine?!?! Is it real or audio-animatronic? We'll never know until it's too late :(

Anne

Mary Ellen
06-12-2003, 12:31 PM
I voted 'seldom' because we did go to SAB once - to try it before the option went away. Otherwise, we like that it is an option even if we don't use it.

As to the lifeguards being required for slides, I'd heard that it was the insurance that required the lifeguards. Although - corporations as large as Disney are often self-insured.

DEH3rd
06-12-2003, 12:45 PM
It amazes me that people (or person) who I have seen on these boards criticizing people for pool hopping just admitted to doing the same thins. This is after the same person criticizes people for having extra guests, but then does the same. Do as I say, not as I do? Hmmmmm.....

I never pool-hopped. Seems like too much trouble to pack up 3 little ones & trek to another pool.

Jimbo
06-12-2003, 01:01 PM
DEH3rd - Members staying at a DVC resort on points are allowed to pool hop anywhere except SAB and AKL, subject to capacity limitations. There's nothing devious about it.

ducklite
06-12-2003, 01:04 PM
If you're talking about me, I have never and would never criticize a DVC member for pool hopping within the rules set by WDW, ie no SAB and no AKL. As an FYI, when we hopped to SAB, BCV weren't open yet and it was still allowed.

I've also never had "extra guests" join me at any pool, or in a concierge lounge, and never will.

I'd like you to find posts where I have said I have done either of these things and post the links here.

Anne

OneMoreTry
06-12-2003, 01:21 PM
I pool-hopped a little in the 1970's -- way before DVC.

Never pool-hopped while at a DVC resort -- even OKW.

This next trip we will probably pool hop to the Contemporary Pool because we plan to get the family boat rental plan there for the week -- and so we'll probably use their pool too. (I picked Contemporary because I assume the pool will be less crowded than the Poly.) We're staying at OKW but would probably pool hop to the Contemporary even if we were at Beach Club.

patsal
06-12-2003, 01:47 PM
I have not done this yet, but I think after staying at CSR My kids might enjoy the pool there for a few hours on an AK day. I like having the option, I just don't think it is practical to use on days we swim only for an hour. If I were able to work in pool only days this option would be one I would enjoy.

KNWVIKING
06-12-2003, 02:02 PM
"I have not done this yet, but I think after staying at CSR My kids might enjoy the pool there for a few hours on an AK day. "

That's a very good statagy, glad you posted it. We generally hit AK early and leave noon'ish. I've walked around CSR pool,think it's a very cool area, now you've given me a very convienant reason to try PH there. Thanks.

jade1
06-12-2003, 02:05 PM
Every trip-mostly because we go a lot in August. Epcot in the AM, walk to BWV pool around 2PM, swim a while then go to MGM. We just wear swim suits and sandals anyway every day. Also we usually leave MK in the afternoon and monorail to Poly's volcano pool or GF pools. Its a great break from the heat. Would really miss this if discontinued. Kind of glad to see a lot of members dont do this so it is less likely to get out of hand and need to be changed.

sgtpet
06-12-2003, 02:52 PM
If I were inclined to pool hop, I would still not do it and instead go to one of the water parks. It is too much of a hassle going to another resort to use their pool.

MiaSRN62
06-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Mia--The reason that OKW doesn't have a slide is that the state of Florida requires life guards be present at any pool that has a slide. If they had to staff with life guards, the dues would ahve to go up, and the members voted this idea down several times in teh earlier years of the resort being open.
Thanks for the explanation ducklite. That's a shame. I'd be willing to pay a little more in dues for a life guard and slide---how much more could it be ? I'm aware what the BWV dues are and that would be ok with me. I honestly don't recall ever being given an opportunity to vote on this ? Then again, we've only been members for 3 years now. Do you have to physically attend the vote in FL, or can you vote by proxy ? I guess I'm in the minority on this slide/life guard issue, as far as OKW members go though ?

DVCPAT
06-12-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by sgtpet
"If I were inclined to pool hop, I would still not do it and instead go to one of the water parks. It is too much of a hassle going to another resort to use their pool."

We love the water parks but pool hopping is a great way to spend a few hours around lunch. As far as it being a hassle, I simply pick up the phone and call valet services. My car is waiting at the resort entrance. It's easier than waiting for a bus.

Jimbo
06-12-2003, 04:45 PM
Mia - There wasn't ever a vote on the pool slide and lifeguard question at OKW. Instead it was a survey given to a random sample of members. My recollection was that the dues would have gone up a few pennies as a result. And I seem to remember that 60% of those surveyed were against the change.

But at the risk of inciting the usual suspects again, I don't think you can say it was voted down because of the tiny increase in dues. I suspect that more people just like things at OKW the way they are, and don't want to see any changes.

But we'll never know for sure.

Steve BWV'99
06-12-2003, 05:11 PM
Me and the wife never had a reason to pool hop since we like to hang out at the quiet pool most often. That will change since we got a little one now, but we still would never go to another resort to swim, too much hassle in my opinion.

-Steve

spiceycat
06-12-2003, 05:23 PM
DVC is different - if they think something is not use (like express check in - oh I still miss it.....) they discard it

so if not enough members (in their opinion) use something they will do away with it.

paults
06-12-2003, 07:11 PM
just can't see waisting time going to another pool when all of DVC's pools our well designed. If by chance the pool where we are staying gets crowded then we'll pool-hop:bounce: :bounce:
or pool-bounce:Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce:

BY the way if your voting %'s are right then most of the pool hopping must be being done by non-members:mad:

MiaSRN62
06-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Mia - There wasn't ever a vote on the pool slide and lifeguard question at OKW. Instead it was a survey given to a random sample of members. My recollection was that the dues would have gone up a few pennies as a result. And I seem to remember that 60% of those surveyed were against the change.
Thanks for clearing this up for me Jimbo. I hadn't realized this. It's a shame (imho) that it was given a "thumbs down" by the majority. I think it would really add to the resort, and it would be well-worth the extra few $'s.

CaptainMidnight
06-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo

But at the risk of inciting the usual suspects again, I don't think you can say it was voted down because of the tiny increase in dues. I suspect that more people just like things at OKW the way they are, and don't want to see any changes.

But we'll never know for sure.
Some have described OKW as having more of a retirement home, assisted living kind fo feel to it, a slide might not fit in. The larger rooms provide additional space for walkers, wheelchairs, home care nurses, portable johns, and storage for Depends ......:p

CaptainMidnight
06-12-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by jade1
Every trip-mostly because we go a lot in August. Epcot in the AM, walk to BWV pool around 2PM, swim a while then go to MGM. We just wear swim suits and sandals anyway every day. Also we usually leave MK in the afternoon and monorail to Poly's volcano pool or GF pools. Its a great break from the heat. Would really miss this if discontinued. Kind of glad to see a lot of members dont do this so it is less likely to get out of hand and need to be changed.
We haven't done this yet, but it sounds like a great plan and the best way we might be using pool hopping in the future when the kids get a little older. The scenarios you've listed are the major reason I don't want to see pool hopping disscontinued.

tn4mickey
06-12-2003, 07:28 PM
We've only pool hopped once. A couple of years ago when the BWV pool was closed for rehab we hopped to SAB (when it was legal!).

CK1
06-13-2003, 12:57 AM
We're hoppers. We usually plan a day and place to hop -- something "new" -- each trip. Last time, we stayed at VWL but took a day and "hopped" to BWV. We arrived around 10 am, swam until noon, had lunch on the boardwalk, walked over to BCV to check out the villas there, then walked back, swam again, dried off, had ice cream and headed back to VWL. Very nice trip. We have already planned next time to "hop" to GF (kids are doing pirate cruise, so we're already there!) Plan to do lunch, swim, etc before heading back to BWV. THe kids are already asking if they can "hop" back to VWL! Ah, the endless choices. We would also like to hop to Poly sometime too...

I suppose if you have AP's it might make more sense to just hit the water park. But as "park hoppers", we're also pool hoppers. It's like an extra venue without need for a ticket! And it lets us see the other resorts, restaurants we might like to try, etc.

Cindy

Uncleromulus
06-13-2003, 06:54 AM
We almost always pool hop. Pools at OKW good for getting wet, but not much else.
Should add that those "quiet pools" (w/o lifeguards) are often not quiet at all. In fact, some of the worst pool behavior I've seen at WDW has been at those pools. Running, diving, food-throwing, softballs and footballs being tossed around, loud Rap music from personal music systems--all the things that probably would not be allowed if there were some control.

dianeschlicht
06-13-2003, 06:55 AM
The fact that so many of us said "never" makes me think I was right when I think the loss of pool hopping is not so important.

CaptainMidnight
06-13-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by dianeschlicht
The fact that so many of us said "never" makes me think I was right when I think the loss of pool hopping is not so important.
I hope we don't loose pool hopping. Whiel we don't pool hop now, our children are little, when they get older, a break from teh parks to take a dip in a local resort pool sound like a great idea.

sumessefui
06-13-2003, 08:59 AM
I do not use the pools so poolhopping don't matter to me, but I would like it to stay for those who use it.
As far as the OKW pool goes, I think there should be a lifeguard at least at the main pool for safety reasons. It can't cost that much. And as for the slide, I don't believe that the members really have an input on that. If DVD wanted a slide there, they would put one in. From what I have seen from their "surveys", these are nothing more than gimmicks to supossedly show support for what they want to do anyway.

geffric
06-13-2003, 11:15 AM
my kids love water slides and OKW doesn't have as they call it a "fun" pool. So we hop. We get to kow other resorts, and usually have lunch at the various resports while we enpoy the pool. It our afternoon break and fun to swim near the park thatwe are st at the time.

Snowgod
06-13-2003, 11:33 AM
We have only done it once. We are however thinking of trying the pool at CSR on our next trip. Would hate to lose the option.:smooth:

OneMoreTry
06-13-2003, 11:51 AM

One of my big surprises on this board is this self-centered attitude among DVC members. Throw a fit if I don't get my way but the heck with the members that use a perk I don't.

:(

It's disheartening.

ducklite
06-13-2003, 01:00 PM
Even though it's not that important to me, I don't think they should take away pool hopping benefits for DVC members. It was a big selling point they used for a lot of people, and frankly how many members are at any given pool outside DVC resorts at any given time anyhow? Probably not enough to make that much difference.

Because privledges are suspended during busy times, and you are supposed to call ahead to make sure the pools aren't crowded first, it's not a big deal. If it were a situation that we could hop any time to any pool, and be taking up chairs so guests of that resort couldn't enjoy themselves, I'd think differently. but the way it works currently, I think it's a perk they ought to keep.

Anne

FredS
06-13-2003, 03:47 PM
Personally I would be fine if pool hopping was discontinued. I don't think that we would ever use it, since we get plenty of pool time at home and for us our time at WDW is better spent doing things we can't do elsewhere. Also, it might help with the problem of pools being overcrowded -- we don't even swim that often at the resort at which we are staying, but have on several occasions had a difficult time in finding a chair or an empty spot in the pool. I feel certain that there were significant numbers of people in the pool who were not staying at the resort. Not just DVC members, but folks from other resorts who just have learned that they can crash other pools. Sorry, but if you want to swim at one of the deluxe resorts then I think you should have to pay for it, and not be able to pay for a moderate and overcrowd the deluxe pool. Just frustrating when you have paid for where you are staying but can't use an amenity because of other people who haven't paid.

DVCPAT
06-13-2003, 04:46 PM
My kids have been going to Disney every year since birth. I like to try things that Disney allows just to keep the vacations fresh. They love to swim (ages 8 & 11) and its fun visiting other resorts.

If my kids didn't enjoy it, I probably wouldn't pool hop. Once my kids lose interest, I hope pool hopping continues so other DVC familys can enjoy the great themed pools. I would never want to see DVC perks/activities eliminated just because my family doesn't directly benefit from them.

CaptainMidnight
06-13-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by OneMoreTry
One of my big surprises on this board is this self-centered attitude among DVC members. Throw a fit if I don't get my way but the heck with the members that use a perk I don't.

:(

It's disheartening.
Ouch... and from someone with only 16 posts, that one's a zinger "OneMoreTry" (if that's your real name) ....

WDWDad
06-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Yea, but it was at timely zinger since it was a very self centered statement. I have 116 posts. What does that have to do with anything?

jade1
06-13-2003, 07:15 PM
We would still be happy with DVC if it was discontinued but not AS happy. Anyway with the percentages, almost 1/2 hop some. Is that like 30,000 members plus kids?

CaptainMidnight
06-13-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by WDWDad
Yea, but it was at timely zinger since it was a very self centered statement. I have 116 posts. What does that have to do with anything?
You don't know?

PKS44
06-14-2003, 03:33 AM

Not just disheartening as pointed out, but not terribly logical...if so many never do it, why even bother to change it, any way?

mb168
06-14-2003, 12:25 PM
We wanted to while staying at BCV this past week and while strolling around the lake one morning I walked over to BW to check out the pool and there was a big sign there saying you had to show a BW ID to get in so we didn't get to. We also went to Whispering Canyon for dinner one night and started to let the kids wear their suits under their clothes but it looked like bad weather the closer to dinner time it got so we didn't. Sure nuff, BOOM, lightning, strong winds, and rain came while we were eating. There was a strike so close we heard and saw it at the same time, back towards the Contemporary.

sparkspeak
06-15-2003, 04:14 AM
We would still be happy with DVC if it was discontinued but not AS happy. Anyway with the percentages, almost 1/2 hop some. Is that like 30,000 members plus kids?
No, no --that's 1/2 of the182 posters who have voted so far . . . and we don't really know if all are DVC members.

jade1
06-15-2003, 11:53 AM
"No, no --that's 1/2 of the182 posters who have voted so far . . . and we don't really know if all are DVC members."

Not sure what I was thinking, I took the poll percentages and used them as a sample to draw an approximate conclusion from the current numbers voted. Really should wait until all 60,000 vote and then verify they are also DVC members before giving any consideration to this poll-my bad.

CaptainMidnight
06-15-2003, 02:14 PM
"No, no --that's 1/2 of the182 posters who have voted so far . . . and we don't really know if all are DVC members."

Not sure what I was thinking, I took the poll percentages and used them as a sample to draw an approximate conclusion from the current numbers voted. Really should wait until all 60,000 vote and then verify they are also DVC members before giving any consideration to this poll-my bad.
LOL!!!

erikthewise
06-15-2003, 03:01 PM

Just thought I'd contribute a little professional expertise:
It certainly is possible for a sample of a few hundred people to give results that are somewhat accurate (plus or minus 5%) IF those people are randomly selected. But of course the people on this board are not randomly selected members of DVC (selection bias), and among those on this board, the proportion of those who choose to respond to the poll may vary quite a bit depending on their views (participation bias). Between these two factors, the results should not be taken too seriously.

Personally, I suspect both factors result in too high a proportion of pool hoppers. But that's just a suspicion.

sparkspeak
06-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Sorry, jade1, I didn't mean to insult, but as erikthewise stated "the people on this board are not randomly selected." I think that the DVC polls on this board are very interesting and informative and probably can be used to indicate how members of this board feel about certain issues. But I have no idea how fairly this board represents the total DVC membership.

jade1
06-16-2003, 06:38 PM
No sweat sparkspeak, just trying to skew the numbers toward pool hopping. Obviously many members dont use any pools (may be a good poll). Hey, maybe if 1/2 dont use the pools we could fill them with cement and play shuffle board on them. I know in most hotels a lot of guests avoid the pools, I have to believe many members wont swim (or cant) no matter how nice the pool area is. Question is would they even vote on a poll like this? I assume they would vote they do not pool hop. Whatever.

doubletrouble_vb
10-31-2003, 08:02 PM
I voted never but I just recall that I'm mistaken in that. I did pool hop to SAB once...but I didn't go swimming...just sat and read a book.

colleen costello
10-31-2003, 08:51 PM
We love to pool hop. No matter where we stay, we always visit the Polynesian to rent boats and have lunch and drink one of Rosie's great pina coladas. During all this fun, we swim a bit. We usually go early afternoon and the pool is never particularly crowded. My kids LOVE the volcano slide. OKW is my favorite, but the pools ARE less than thrilling...

I hope they leave this perk. It was a big part of us joining DVC. And if they ever make Villas at the Poly, I'll be first in line to get those points!

CaptainMidnight
11-01-2003, 02:08 AM
Wow, this post is reserected as a holloween treat. Didn't remember that June response.

bunnymkc
11-01-2003, 08:59 AM
On one of our trips with just the 2 of us we devoted one day of pool hopping to GF,POLY,WL, and a couple of others that I can't remember! we made a day out of it and it was so much fun..ate at some ,looked around at other resorts and all in all it was a fun day..hope they never take this perk away..while I realize this might be harder with young children for just the adults it is a lot of fun and something different to do while it is hot..we did have our own car and just drove to the different resorts which we would have never done without the car..makes it so easy..marianne..ps never had a problem doing this with any CM's .. :hyper: :sunny:

LIFERBABE
11-01-2003, 11:19 AM
We purchased DVC with the thought that that WDW would be a great place to vacation, even if there were no Theme parks. We like having leisurely days and being surrounded by beautiful places and things.

If we are staying at BCV but we are visiting the MK area, Pool Hopping would be a great option for a late afternoon break. We could visit the restaurants and swim and then head back to MK for the evening fireworks. With older children you can do this.

When my Ds's went on the Pirate Cruise (before we joined DVC), we asked about swimming while we waited for their return and was told Pool hopping was not allowed. As DVC members, this is a perk and something we would be interested in doing when they go again.

Pool Hopping is not just swimming but using the Pool area to lounge, relax, etc.

The World is not small, and PH gives the flexibility of not returning to your home base when you want a quick dip or break.

Many do get the DVC PH perk confused with Pool Crashing. One has nothing to do with the other.
Stopping PH for DVC members, will not stop others from Pool Crashing. DVC members have a choice of Pools (with the current perk) so why would we choose to visit an overcrowded Pool. Pool Crashing is an issue that needs to be addressed separately.

There are not many perks of being a DVC member that all would agree on. Equal Access to accomodations are not perks they are what we paid for. Why lambaste the member that books prime periods to sell on Ebay when the primary attitude of others is "it doesnt affect me"
Most use AP's so UHP discount should be discontinued. Some members are on diets so Dining discount should be discontinued. Some don't swim or think it's easier to visit a waterpark (not) so pool hopping should be discontinued. But what about those that do? We are members and neighbors and everyone should be concerned what happens in their neighborhood.
I am not going to take a short sighted approach to a long term committment. I am committed to DVC until 2054. Perks may come and go over that time as I am sure they will, but I'm not volunteering to give up anything. Maybe if members were more vocal about perks, DVD would provide better representation and try harder to secure and keep them.

goofeydec
03-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Just returned from SSR last week and saw something there I realy did not like.I spent lots of time at main pool evry day, (at least 2-3 hours) and over heard 3 groups people saying that is was time to leave and to get ready to get back on boat to DTD. :listen: The conclusion I drew was that they took a bus or drove a car to DTD and used boat to get acsess to SSR main pool. These people could have been staying on or off site I dont know. even though I dont pool hop, I think it should be allowed for DVC members. What should be done?? Some days I could not even find a chair, and to think that some of the people there, may not belong there, well, made a bit angry. :furious:

lisareniff
03-04-2006, 10:41 AM
WOW! Goofeydec this is a reeeeaaallly old poll! Why did you dig it up?

goofeydec
03-04-2006, 11:06 AM
WOW! Goofeydec this is a reeeeaaallly old poll! Why did you dig it up?
Sorry lisereniff i did not know. i only get a little time on pc each day, and cant read evrything as you cac see from # of posts, i just needed to vent. :rolleyes2

La2kw
03-04-2006, 11:48 AM
We will pool hop occasionally since we go in the summer and often want to go for a swim to cool off and put a break in the day at the parks. Often, we also rent a boat as well, and since we are usually pretty hot after that, a quick swim helps. We will usually pick a pool close to whatever park we are at. Most of the pools have showers and lockers, or allow you to use the health club for that. We don't find it a hassle at all, and the kids enjoy seeing the different pools. We do this about once or twice over the two week period we are there. We spend most of our swim time at our resort pool (usually OKW or SSR) and the water parks.

Chris and Pooh
03-22-2006, 09:14 PM
No we just stayed in our hom pool SSR couldnt be bothered to use the others at the time felt we could save that pleasure when we actually visited a different resort

tripletvan
11-18-2009, 12:47 PM
never

bobbiwoz
11-18-2009, 01:04 PM
This is an old thread, and I see from the poll that I voted never. Well having DGC, that changed, we did enjoy swimming at the Port Orleans Riverside pool one time, and if we had the chance to do it again sometime, we will!

Bobbi:goodvibes

Deb & Bill
11-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Die, old thread, die.

GrumpyBelle
11-18-2009, 04:25 PM
We do not have the time or desire to pool hop. When we are not at the parks, we enjoy all that the resort we are staying at have to offer.

CarolMN
11-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Die, old thread, die.

If you really want a thread to die, you must resist the urge to say so!!! :teeth:

Every reply bumps the thread to the very top of page 1 - which I think you already know. ;)

spiceycat
11-18-2009, 08:02 PM
my vote is the same - seldom - that say - with BLT now opened can see myself and guests pool hopping to Polyn, or GF a few times.

BUDDYBEAR
11-18-2009, 08:36 PM
YES WE DO :cool1:

bwvBound
11-18-2009, 09:14 PM
This is an old thread, and I see from the poll that I voted never. Well ... that changed ... Me, too! I need to change my very old "Never" vote to "Sometimes ... and plan to do it again!"

dvcdisney
11-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Never. It just seems too much trouble. We just go to the pool in our resort.

margitmouse
02-26-2010, 09:44 PM
I lost where I saw it but..is SSR disallowing pool hopping or is it a rumor? I thought BCV was the only resort that didn't allow at this point.

HMMMMM... if they are thinking of blocking it, it must be good! maybe I should go check out their pool when we go to OUR NEW HOME RESORT, OKW, in may!!!
:rotfl:

ps.could someone direct me to how to put an okw logo on my sigature?
true technophobe *sigh*

tinkerfan1
02-27-2010, 05:51 PM
No. I enjoy visiting the other resorts for meals and their theming as well but have never used their pools.

WDWMom
02-27-2010, 08:58 PM
We PH every visit and usually to multiple pools in one day. We have started at the Cont., moved on to the Poly, then to GF (which is really lame) and then finish the day at WL. Now this is a whole day of entertainment for our family. Works great to ride the monorail. Eat lunch at the Poly and dinner at WL. We have been to every pool except All Stars. For us, we just don't spend that much time in the parks after 10 years. A 10 day vacation puts us in the parks 3 days, both water parks once and a the rest is around some pool. But that's what make DVC so great, we can do what WE want and others can do what they want.

Although I am really bummed about our trip this year. Spring Break is always the first week of April and of course this happens to be the week after Easter too. We will not be able to pool hop. Luckily my DB and DSIL will be at Boardwalk and I believe they can have us come swim. We will definitely be taking them up on it.

teacher2525
02-28-2010, 06:38 AM
We love to pool hop. It is like a little extra adventure:)

castleri
02-28-2010, 08:31 AM
I lost where I saw it but..is SSR disallowing pool hopping or is it a rumor? I thought BCV was the only resort that didn't allow at this point.

HMMMMM... if they are thinking of blocking it, it must be good! maybe I should go check out their pool when we go to OUR NEW HOME RESORT, OKW, in may!!!
:rotfl:

ps.could someone direct me to how to put an okw logo on my sigature?
true technophobe *sigh*

The other places you cannot pool hop are AKV and BLT and I assume not the Contemporary pool since BLT is connected to that hotel now.

ToddyLu
02-28-2010, 09:26 AM
There are pools and water parks at Disney??? :eek:

:rotfl2:

We never go swimming and pool hopping just seems to be a lot of trouble. However. I would mind not being able to resort hop.

nmmom95
02-28-2010, 05:53 PM
We never do, because we use the pool as "down time." Traveling to another resort to swim and coming back wet doesn't sound fun. We don't even use the pool at our resort every trip.

Deb & Bill
02-28-2010, 09:23 PM
The other places you cannot pool hop are AKV and BLT and I assume not the Contemporary pool since BLT is connected to that hotel now.

You can pool hop to the CR, just not at BLT.

Nikisha421
02-28-2010, 10:31 PM
never..it sounds like it would take me way too much time

rentayenta
02-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Never. Seems pointless and too much work. All the DVC resorts have great pools. :thumbsup2

bwvBound
02-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Wow, this is an old thread. Things have changed for us. My original vote of "Never" would now be "Almost every trip." We do enjoy the invitation to Pool Hop.

keishashadow
03-01-2010, 09:51 AM
we're far too lazy to expend the effort to pool hop...we're of the stay where you want to swim frame of mind:)

Anjelica
03-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Hmmm....so you can no longer pool hop to SSR?

Is there a list somewhere of pools you can hop to? I went on dvcmember.com but couldn't find that in the benefits guide or when I did a search.

What are the rules behind pool hopping - is it you have to be staying at a DVC resort and a DVC member correct?

PatsMom
03-01-2010, 03:20 PM
I voted never. My daughter and I keep talking about pool hopping just because we can. But we never seem to find the time. Last fall my husband and I stayed at Bay Lake and did visit the Contemporary pool one day. So if that counts, I guess I have pool hopped once!

dizfan
03-01-2010, 06:20 PM
We have never pool hopped. However, now that we'll be staying at BLT for the second time, we are seriously thinking about doing the monorail pool hop to Poly and GF.

Deb & Bill
03-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Hmmm....so you can no longer pool hop to SSR?

Is there a list somewhere of pools you can hop to? I went on dvcmember.com but couldn't find that in the benefits guide or when I did a search.

What are the rules behind pool hopping - is it you have to be staying at a DVC resort and a DVC member correct?

In order to pool hop, you must be staying on a reservation through DVC at a DVC resort. You must be the member or a guest staying with the member at the DVC resort. You cannot pool hop to a resort you are not staying at if you are not staying on a reservation through MS. It's not a member perk; it's a member perk if you are staying at a DVC resort on a reservation through MS. So if you pay cash to DRC, you cannot pool hop. If you rent a reservation from another member, you cannot pool hop because you don't own the reservation. If you are a DVC member staying offsite, you cannot pool hop.

Plus pool hopping cannot be blacked out for the special holiday season.

TBLaube
03-01-2010, 10:58 PM
We have never tried it because like other posts, we usually go to the pool to relax a bit and don't stay too long. This trip we are staying at BLT and think that it would be fun to check out the volcano pool (and get a dole whip) and check out the GF pool as well. We are staying eight nights and only doing each park once, DQX2, and each water park in the evenings so will have time to fit these in.

tgropp
03-02-2010, 09:41 AM
I can not imagine travelling to another resort to use their pool when I can be in the pool where I am staying in a matter of minutes. For me, it just does'nt make sense for Disney to inconvenience guests staying at a resort and allow people who are not even staying at that resort to come and use that pool.

WDWMom
03-02-2010, 09:53 AM
never..it sounds like it would take me way too much time

Our thinking is that we are on vacation and have all the time in the world. But we are the same people who use our DVC to vacation, not to visit the parks everyday. Maybe 3 of the 10 at most.

Anjelica
03-02-2010, 11:06 AM
In order to pool hop, you must be staying on a reservation through DVC at a DVC resort. You must be the member or a guest staying with the member at the DVC resort. You cannot pool hop to a resort you are not staying at if you are not staying on a reservation through MS. It's not a member perk; it's a member perk if you are staying at a DVC resort on a reservation through MS. So if you pay cash to DRC, you cannot pool hop. If you rent a reservation from another member, you cannot pool hop because you don't own the reservation. If you are a DVC member staying offsite, you cannot pool hop.

Plus pool hopping cannot be blacked out for the special holiday season.

Thanks for the clarification. We have a free day on our upcoming trip in May (DVC member here staying on DVC points at AKV through MS) and we were thinking about going to the water park on that free day. BUT I have been interested in visiting SSR to get a feel of the place and possibly enjoy the pool while I am there. What pool can we hop to?

WDWMom
03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the clarification. We have a free day on our upcoming trip in May (DVC member here staying on DVC points at AKV through MS) and we were thinking about going to the water park on that free day. BUT I have been interested in visiting SSR to get a feel of the place and possibly enjoy the pool while I am there. What pool can we hop to?

Since you are a DVC member staying on points at AKV you can pool hop everywhere except SAB.

We love the SS pool and have hopped there many times from OKW. Nice atmosphere and not bad in size (but not great either).

Deb & Bill
03-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Since you are a DVC member staying on points at AKV you can pool hop everywhere except SAB.....

Not quite, you cannot pool hop to BLT pool, to BCV pool, to YC/BC pools and AKV/AKL pools as well as Stormalong Bay. But since you are staying at AKV, you can swim at either pool at that location.

From Disney Files, pool hopping is blacked out for the following days:
Mar 27-Apr 10, May 28-31, June 27-July 5, Sept 3-6, Nov 22-28, and Dec 12-Jan2.

Anjelica
03-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Not quite, you cannot pool hop to BLT pool, to BCV pool, to YC/BC pools and AKV/AKL pools as well as Stormalong Bay. But since you are staying at AKV, you can swim at either pool at that location.

From Disney Files, pool hopping is blacked out for the following days:
Mar 27-Apr 10, May 28-31, June 27-July 5, Sept 3-6, Nov 22-28, and Dec 12-Jan2.

So that leaves SSR, OKW and VWL, correct?

Deb & Bill
03-02-2010, 01:24 PM
So that leaves SSR, OKW and VWL, correct?

Plus BWV/BWI and the non-DVC resorts at WDW (but not Swan and Dolphin).

Anjelica
03-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Plus BWV/BWI and the non-DVC resorts at WDW (but not Swan and Dolphin).

Oh wow - I had no idea that you are allowed to pool hop to non-DVC resorts. Thanks for help!!!

MistressMerryweather
04-15-2010, 09:15 PM
This thread is a little old, but I'm replying anyway. ;)

We don't ever "pool hop" on purpose...meaning we don't pack up from our hotel with the purpose of going to another hotel to swim. I do however keep a suit for the kids in our bag, so if we happen to be visiting another resort and they are dying for a swim, we let them. :confused3 Last trip we ate at Poly and then sat on the beach and watched the parade on the lake. The pool is right there and it was hot. The kids wanted to go in and we let them. :thumbsup2

jade1
04-16-2010, 09:27 AM
This thread is a little old, but I'm replying anyway. ;)

We don't ever "pool hop" on purpose...meaning we don't pack up from our hotel with the purpose of going to another hotel to swim. I do however keep a suit for the kids in our bag, so if we happen to be visiting another resort and they are dying for a swim, we let them. :confused3 Last trip we ate at Poly and then sat on the beach and watched the parade on the lake. The pool is right there and it was hot. The kids wanted to go in and we let them. :thumbsup2

Great example-especially in August. :wizard:

robandkelly13
04-16-2010, 09:31 AM
I love Kidani's pool - so we stay there:thumbsup2
It's one of the reasons we love Kidani so much. I don't like traveling to other resorts just for the pool and traveling back all wet...

gibbersome
04-17-2010, 06:38 PM
If you stayed a day at the BCV and got your key card, and then switched to the Poly for the rest of your stay. Could you theoretically still retain access to the pools?

Sammie
04-17-2010, 06:47 PM
If you stayed a day at the BCV and got your key card, and then switched to the Poly for the rest of your stay. Could you theoretically still retain access to the pools?

You have access to all resort amenties until midnight on the day you check out.

Deb & Bill
04-17-2010, 11:38 PM

Your KTTW will show that you are no longer a guest at the BCV by the dates on your card.

Disney Yooper
01-31-2013, 08:32 PM
We enjoy pool hopping. We try to get to a new pool every trip but we have had some exceptionally cold weather during some recent trips.

twinklebug
01-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Wow - dug up an old thread here ;) LOL

Pool hopped only once - over to the Poly when the kids were younger. With kids it's fun. With young adults, bar hopping seems to be more where it's at. Older adults just hope to hop at all ;)

bwvBound
01-31-2013, 08:45 PM
Wow - dug up an old thread here ;) LOL Indeed! The original post is almost 10 years old!

I had voted "Never" initially then indicated, when the thread resurfaced in 2009, that I should change that to "Sometimes." Right now, "Sometimes" remains my best answer. We find it fun to pool hop when actually on vacation at WDW but haven't seen any pool hop options when visiting Vero, Aulani or Grand Cal!

BirdsOfPreyDave
01-31-2013, 10:29 PM
Wow, now I've got to think about what pools even existed back in 2003.

Lady V
01-31-2013, 10:50 PM
We pool hop every single trip. I love it! I love the different resorts, shops, etc...

bumbershoot
02-01-2013, 01:09 AM
We enjoy pool hopping. We try to get to a new pool every trip but we have had some exceptionally cold weather during some recent trips.

That definitely puts a damper on it. :)

Wow - dug up an old thread here ;) LOL

Always nice to have a zombie thread that is still relevant!

We find it fun to pool hop when actually on vacation at WDW but haven't seen any pool hop options when visiting Vero, Aulani or Grand Cal!

Aulani would be difficult, that's for sure. :) Not allowed at DLR, but I have read that you can actually hop to a WDW pool when at Vero...it's just a long drive.

Our most hopped-to pool is the scary-clown pool (I'm totally clown phobic in every other way, but to my great surprise I love that pool!), but it will be closed during our upcoming trip. :( Staying first at Kidani, so why hop then, then going to SSR where there are scads of pools (I was reminded of that in a different thread) and then WL where we've never swam, so even if it weren't hitting President's week when hopping isn't allowed, why would we want to hop on this trip? :3dglasses We'll hop on future trips, though. We like it! (though we also always have a car, which makes it easier)

WilsonFlyer
02-01-2013, 05:12 AM
I've always thought this was a wasted and overrated perk. Why would I (speaking for my family, of course) waste my time on-property going to different pools and all the hassles that involves, when there is so much to do at the resort I'm at and at the parks? It has always seemed like a time waste to me and it always will.

We've obviously never used it and we probably never will.

bwvBound
02-01-2013, 08:12 AM
I've always thought this was a wasted and overrated perk. Why would I (speaking for my family, of course) waste my time on-property going to different pools and all the hassles that involves, when there is so much to do at the resort I'm at and at the parks? It has always seemed like a time waste to me and it always will.

We've obviously never used it and we probably never will.Understood. FWIW, we seldom visit the parks on our visits ... pool hopping has been a great way to spend our 'downtime' day(s) following a busy business conference.

a742246
02-01-2013, 08:47 AM
I only pool hop when I have family staying at a different resort.

MrsDuck
02-01-2013, 10:17 AM
We never have, but I do like the policy!

dianeschlicht
02-01-2013, 11:53 AM
We used to pool hop from BWV to SAB when it was allowed. Going from BWV to SAB was very easy via the Friendship boats. The only other resort I have pool hopped from is OKW.

Now OKW seems to be a place many want to pool hop TO with the castle slide. I don't pool hop to or from anywhere. I prefer the quiet pools anyway.

twinboysmom
02-02-2013, 10:33 AM
We have started pool hopping now that the boys are a bit older. We really love the pool and gated play area at CBR. So for us, that's our pool hop of choice.

daisyduck123
02-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Not regularly.

Pool hopped to the Poly once when our DVC friends were staying there while we were staying BCV. All the kids had a great time. We would do that again.

Pool hopped to CBR once, while staying at BCV. BIG MISTAKE! NEVER AGAIN! :crazy2:

edk35
02-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Not regularly.

Pool hopped to the Poly once when our DVC friends were staying there while we were staying BCV. All the kids had a great time. We would do that again.

Pool hopped to CBR once, while staying at BCV. BIG MISTAKE! NEVER AGAIN! :crazy2:

That would be US!! :wave2: Hi Laurie!!! :beach:

jade1
02-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Not regularly.

We have as well-but in the summer when at MK-its a nice break and we wear swimwear anyway in that heat. Otherwise we have done less and less, esp since we are at BCV/SAB the majority of our nights.

lovin'fl
02-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Have never pool hopped. We are happy to use the pool at the resort we are staying at.

LindaBabe
02-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Since they've implemented the *really loud* amplifed pool games at the main pools, I've hopped to VWL and OKW Quiet pools from AKL which HAS no quiet pool.

hmillerbarilla
02-04-2013, 11:36 PM
We're hoppers!

If we're at OKW, we might pop over to SSR, same if we're at SSR, we'll head over to OKW too.

We pack swim stuff and go back to CBR, our favorite before becoming members.

Also, we have multiple families in our extended family being members, so occasionally, we're not all at the same resort, so hopping is a fantastic perk for us.

:goodvibes

hmillerbarilla
02-04-2013, 11:41 PM
We'll hop on future trips, though. We like it! (though we also always have a car, which makes it easier)

Having a car is key. We love having the car to do the hopping. I wouldn't be as likely to leave OKW for SSR by Disney transportation just to pool hop. With my minivan, we're there in 5 mins. It's great!:goodvibes

Castillo Mom
02-09-2013, 12:34 AM
No, we haven't. I thought about it once but having to drag our things to another resort and then dragging them back after being in sun for hours just didn't seem worth it. Each of the resorts we've stayed at have nice pools.

OneMoreTry
02-09-2013, 10:55 AM
No, we haven't. I thought about it once but having to drag our things to another resort and then dragging them back after being in sun for hours just didn't seem worth it. Each of the resorts we've stayed at have nice pools.

I agree. Too much hassle when all resorts have good pools. If we want a fancy pool we go to BB or TL.

Laurabearz
02-09-2013, 09:53 PM
When I first answered this my kids were small and we found it to be too much of a hassle to pool hop. Now that they are older we have done it more :-)