PDA

View Full Version : Italian Sausage

Wagamama
06-10-2003, 10:59 PM
do you cook italian sausage the same way as brats?
do you poke holes in them?
how long do you cook them for?

thanks in advance!!

piratesmate
06-11-2003, 09:41 AM
I've often seen Italian sausage served at fairs with grilled onions & peppers & maybe spaghetti sauce. There, they grill them like hot dogs on one of those roller things. (Good technical term, huh? ;) )

At home, I always throw them into the crock pot with a jar of spaghetti sauce & cook the daylights out of them. Mmmmm! I don't bother to poke them for the crock & the skins just sort of slither off into the sauce.

Wagamama
06-11-2003, 09:57 AM
oooh! thanks!! I think i'm going to try them in sauce like you said! sounds delicious!

yummy72
06-11-2003, 11:51 AM
I put them in a crock pot with a large can of tomato sauce, sliced onions and green peppers, let them cook all day. Then serve them on hoagie buns.

Sometimes we grill them and serve them with sauteed onions and peppers.

A recipe I made the other night had you cut them up and brown them first before adding them. Usually when they are in soup recipes and such that I make, it has you brown them first.

I usually don't poke them either :)

HTH,
Candi

dcg0317
06-11-2003, 11:59 AM
My Grandmother who was born in Italy use to brown them in a hot pan with a little olive oil, then move them to the sauce pan an let them simer in the sauce. How long she would cook them? I was little then but always remember when we went over to visit there was a pan of sauce simmering on the stove. She always used rope sausage (gramps would make it himself) so sticking it with a fork I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference.

Wagamama
06-11-2003, 12:30 PM
the reason i asked about poking them is i baked them in a pan once with a bit of oil and they sounded like they were going to blow up!

pumba
06-11-2003, 01:04 PM
I have a big big big link around and around in my big skillet......it cooked in water for about two hours and I cut little slits in it.....it lets out the grease and it won't explode.....then later on I will put it in my sauce.....and hubby can have it the way he likes it.....on buns.....or on spaghetti

Beth E. (NJ)
06-11-2003, 03:45 PM
I too make sausage in the crock pot. Sometimes my husband will grill the big long curl of sausage. What he does then is he skewers it with two skewers going crosswise. It makes it easier to turn the whole thing and the holes let some grease out.

Timon
06-11-2003, 05:56 PM
okay, I am not a cook and never post about food but I just wanted to add something cus I love italian sausage :rolleyes:

I sometimes use the ITALIAN Hambuger Helper and instead of hamburger I use sausage. I first boil the sausages then take the skin/casing off them and then follow the directions on the box but with the sausages instead :p

It's so YUMMY! :bounce:

d.kurz
06-11-2003, 07:01 PM
I like them best cooked in tomato sauce. That way the casings are cut-with-the-side-of-your-fork tender. Sometimes I cook them all day on low in the crockpot. If I'm in a hurry, I do them fast in a saucepan. But always in tomato sauce. Then I discard the sauce, it's all greasy. I buy the cheapest sauce there is for this purpose.

JudithM
06-11-2003, 08:01 PM
I grew up eating a lot of Italian food, sausage, peppers & onions included. I frequently make this combination for friends or to take to a pot luck.

I buy the Italian sausage links at a local Italian deli. I fry it up - no oil needed as they will create more than enough of their own grease. I leave it whole initially. I do make a small slice in the "skin" at each end so it doesn't look shriveled after it is cooked. After it browns a bit I either slice it lengthwise or slice it in cirlces (like a coin). I rarely leave it whole because I want to be sure the insides cook - guess it comes from always making sure pork is cooked thoroughly.

Meanwhile I cut up onions (I try to use sweet onions) & a variety of peepers - green, yellow, red & orange. Before I add the veggies, i drain the sausage. Then I cook it all together until the veggies are done like we like them. I either serve the meal as is or with rolls.

piratesmate
06-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Then I discard the sauce, it's all greasy.

Although we do sometimes eat some of it the first day, I often end up putting the whole crock in the refrigerator & using it the next day. That way I can just "peel off" the grease. I also usually have it packaged so that I can get 2 main meals & a couple lunches out of it. This is definitely something we actually like better as leftovers, rather than the 1st day.

Deb

PS The onions & peppers are best when it's Vidalia season & I have red and/or orange bell peppers. Yummy! ;)

Wagamama
06-11-2003, 09:36 PM
such great ideas everyone!! thanks!!!!

Beth E. (NJ)
06-12-2003, 08:00 AM
One additional note: I don't cook my brats. I just send them to their rooms until they stop fighting. :D

Wagamama
06-12-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Beth E. (NJ)
One additional note: I don't cook my brats. I just send them to their rooms until they stop fighting. :D

LOL!!!!

jlp651
06-12-2003, 08:19 AM
THROW EM ON THE GRILL...
CHECK OUT THE DINOSAUR BBQ COOKBOOK...THEY ARE THE BEST! When I get home if I remember I will post the recipe...

yummy72
06-12-2003, 08:46 AM
"One additional note: I don't cook my brats. I just send them to their rooms until they stop fighting. "

LOL!!! You made my day start with a smile!!

Candi

:p