PDA

View Full Version : Table-mate nightmares anyone? Obnoxious adults?

Incharge
06-09-2003, 09:39 PM
On my first cruise, I traveled alone. I was placed at a table with 3 other couples and another single lady. No one said a word to me after I spoke to everyone, they just smiled and said nothing. Imagine my surprise when everyone at that table did not speak a word of english, even the single lady. They were all placed at that table because they spoke the same language. Needless to say, I was not going to spend 7 days at a table with no interesting conversation. They moved me to an excellent table with people I met and have stayed friends throughout the years. On a last note about the first table, don't get me wrong, no one was mean or nasty, they just didn't understand me. We exchanged hellos whenever we saw each other throughout the rest of the cruise. On our next cruise We were seated with a couple who literally lived about 5 miles from us! Were we surprised. We had lots to talk about. Has anyone had a table-mate from hell?

Buckaroo's Dad
06-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Hi Incharge.

Has anyone had a table-mate from hell?

Yes, but (thankfully) not on a cruise. It was solved, however - I got a divorce...

LG123
06-09-2003, 09:53 PM
Good answer Buckaroo's Dad! :teeth:

Happy cruising.

inkkognito
06-09-2003, 10:16 PM
In 32 Disney cruises, we have had extraordinary luck with tablemates. Only once did we ever have a person who wasn't very conversationally oriented. It was a woman travelling with her adult daughter. At the same table was a male/female couple and two women who were a couple. I never figured out if the anti-social woman was possibly offended at the gay couple or if she just wasn't an outgoing person. Her daughter was very talkative, so all of the rest of us had pleasant conversations every night while she was left alone.
We're also had tablemates for whom English was a second language, but thankfully they spoke enough English to still have some nice conversations.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.*****************

LG123
06-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Barb, you are my hero! I can only dream of 32 Disney cruises. :p

Happy Cruising!

CRSNDSNY
06-10-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Incharge
On my first cruise, I traveled alone. I was placed at a table with 3 other couples and another single lady. No one said a word to me after I spoke to everyone, they just smiled and said nothing. Imagine my surprise when everyone at that table did not speak a word of english, even the single lady. They were all placed at that table because they spoke the same language. Needless to say, I was not going to spend 7 days at a table with no interesting conversation.

This sounds like a recurring nightmare I have!!!

I have a huge fear of this. I am crossing my fingers that I meet someone ahead of time to sit with for next year's 7-day!

This thread reminds me of a funny thing that happened last cruise:

My husband and I met a honeymooning couple on our last trip who are originally from Bosnia. She was lucky enough to be a college student here in the USA and her husband recently got his green card, so they got married and were now on their honeymoon. Well, her English was pretty darn good, but he was still learning. She and I were out on the dance floor and my husband was back at the table trying to make conversation with him. God bless my husband because the poor guy didn't understand a word he was saying and all he could reply with was, "Mmmm, good beer!" DH and I still use that line often.

hulagirl
06-10-2003, 07:52 AM
CRSNDISNEY - That is too funny!:p I love tablemate stories.

And as for you BD....I actually go looking for your posts in the morning because you always make me laugh.:p

Jeanny
06-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Hey Hulagirl

I know what you mean about BD... I also look for his posts, because I KNOW he's going to start my day off with a smile :)

I'd love to be his tablemate, I'm sure I'd be in hysterics the whole cruise... I envy his cruisemates in August!! I wish I were on that one!!

Jeanny :teeth:

4cruisin
06-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Hey BD,

Maybe your ex-tablemate didn't understand or appreciate your sense of humor:confused:

Personally, I find you quite amusing.:p

peg2001
06-10-2003, 02:25 PM
Are you sure you really want to hear the bad stories? We had a little boy at our table that threw up on himself, the chair, the floor, etc. on the first night. He wasn't sick, he had half-choked on a seed and it just hit his gag reflex. His parents were horrified and embarassed but after that incident, we all got along fine! :D

(BTW, the dining staff handled the incident perfectly and quickly moved us to an empty table to continue dinner. Mother and son left to go clean up but did return later the same evening.)

Peggy

beschultz
06-10-2003, 02:45 PM
When we cruised, we had our dinner reservations linked with Scott62 from the DIS Boards. We "met" on the thread for our cruise and our daughters became e-pals. Because we didn't plan on being together during the day, we could share stories at night. We had late seating and always managed to be one of the last tables occupied - still talking away!!

I would love to do the same thing for our next cruise. As the time draws closer, I will be looking out for that "perfect" match again!

Thanks Scott, Karen & Christine!

Hygiene99
06-10-2003, 04:44 PM
we too have had great table mates on our 5 disney cruises and
the other cruises as well ... peter

dan and scott
06-10-2003, 09:11 PM
I bet no one has ever had a drunken dominatrix try te get seated with them at Tritons before!!--our very 1st cruise
She was from LA who worked for American Express on the 1st "original" DIS cruise.
Dan and I wanted to crawl under the table (and die) when she very loudly insisted on seating at our table.

Try to top that one!!!

Scott

LG123
06-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Hello to another Ohio family!

Originally posted by dan and scott

I bet no one has ever had a drunken dominatrix try te get seated with them at Tritons before!!

But was she dressed in her formal attire? Don't they say that a little black dress is a classic? Maybe leather or latex was not what Disney had in mind for formal night. Bet there was some interesting conversation that night. No whips I hope - it is after all a family cruise!

Happy Cruising!

dan and scott
06-10-2003, 09:39 PM
She was dressed for the occasion, but she was drunk as a skunk-- didn't stay for desert---and didn't make it onto Castaway Cay until about 2:30 the next day. Maybe she stayed in her room drinking coffee all morning. LOL!! We ran into her at She Sells Sea Shells and Everything Else and acted like she didn't remember anything from the previous night.

Scott

Buckaroo's Dad
06-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Hey Scott.

I bet no one has ever had a drunken dominatrix try te get seated with them at Tritons before!!

Not yet.

Try to top that one!!!

Don't you need her permission to be on top???...

lbgraves
06-10-2003, 09:49 PM
:eek:

LOL!

Incharge
06-10-2003, 10:59 PM
BD,
Now what would "Buckaroo" think of his dear ole' dad:eek: ;)

Scott,
I have not been on DCL til 9/6, but I can't imagine this senario on this family-oriented cruise. That is too funny. I can just imagine you dying on the spot. How did she act at the table on the rest of the cruise, or did she even bother to come to the dining room?
By the way, are you still on the 9/6 cruise, or did you change it?

Buckaroo's Dad
06-11-2003, 06:44 AM
Good morning Incharge.

what would "Buckaroo" think of his dear ole' dad

I'm MORE concerned about what he would think of a drunken dominatrix...

Incharge
06-11-2003, 08:05 AM
For real! She must have gotten on the wrong ship. She meant to get on Carnival :D
Did I say that:eek: :eek: Just kidding CCL:)

rae519
06-11-2003, 08:47 AM
We've had excellent table mates with the exception of the parents who were drinking heavily and ignored their child. Sad but the child was definitely looking for a response from them, unfortunately for us, it was a NEGATIVE behavioral response.

DISBoard friends that we've shared tables with have been the best mates of all!!!!! Karen and Ed, Paul and Kaye and then friends we've made Shelby, Alex and John! Can't beat the DISboard for making friends and getting great tablemates!

Rae

dan and scott
06-11-2003, 09:13 AM
No "Julia"didn't come back to eat at our table and we didn't see her the rest of the cruise since it was a Wonder 3-day.
She most likely couldn't wait to get back to her boyfriend and "clients". What she originally told us was that American Express was having a conference on the ship and that was why she was cruising. She definetly was a "free" spirited woman!!LOL!

Incharge- yes we are still cruising on 9/6.

Scott

Moosysmom
06-11-2003, 09:58 AM
My dinner tablemates were grand, they were my friends I was cruisin with. 4 of us, table for 4. But lunch at Lumiere's was always interesting, I was never sure who I would end up with. (I kept losing my friends during the day, not on purpose, just doing different things,). The first time it was great. I had some people that stood in front of us in line, and I was fun catching up, then a Disney Cast Member joined us (on her first 7 nite, and had been sea sick) but the 3 time I ate there it was a family of 6, and they were rude, loud, obnoxious. The kids kept swearing and telling the mother, where to go. The completely ignored me, except for one kid making a comment about my size (I'm not petite, but I'm not huge either), so I finally just left. Luckily they showed up just as my lunch was arriving, but they were horrible.

MBFergie
06-11-2003, 12:59 PM
I love reading these stories but........

What if one day after my cruise I log on and read a story about my children misbehaving and ruining some family's trip that they saved up for the last 5 years for, to go on before their children left to join the service to protect our country.

I'd like to think we are responsible parents who expect their children to behave, but after dinking $35 worth of soda and all that ice cream they want to eat what's a parent to do.

Okay, they don't drink soda..but ya'll know what I'm saying. Kids are kids. Mine are "full" of personality and bicker (okay...fight) 24/7. Somebody tell me if the dining rooms are filled with model children or rather tell me they are not filled with model children.

Think I can give them something to calm them (JK).

Hoping they love the kids programs again and we can use that as an incentive to behave. Last time we cruised they only ate dessert with us, while we had our appetizers, and they took off for the kids programs.

Marie

ducklite
06-11-2003, 02:26 PM
One of my biggest fears with cruising was my teenaged DS's not so perfect table manners. He's polite and well-behaved, but I was concerned with stuff like elbows on the table, using his finger to scoop corn or rice onto the fork, using the wrong utensil, holding his spoon like a shovel, grabbing a roll and slathering six pats of butter on it then stuffing half into his mouth at once, things like that.

I was relieved when our tablemates also had a teenager who had very similar table manners as my son...so I didn't worry about it any longer :)

We're still working on the mannners, but with teens you choose your battles wisely. :)

Anne

Moosysmom
06-11-2003, 02:39 PM
I should have added. These kids were older, definitely teenagers and the mother laughed at them when they made the comments about me.
I don't have a problem with elbow's on the table, (I'm the worst), using the finger as an additional spoon are no big deal to me. But swearing, and saying mean things about people you don't know is bad.

"Ginger"
06-11-2003, 02:48 PM
We have only had 1 cruise were I would have given anything to change tablemates. Actually it was their 4 year old son who was the problem. This kid must have been a octopus in his former life and was still holding on to his past. From the moment they sit him down till they left the table he would grab everything he could and throw it. These people had no control over this child what so every. They would take turns trying to keep him amused while the other would eat. Our DD was the same age and I am not saying she was a perfect angle but she was even amazed at this kid. We had to hold on to everything if we wanted to use it during dinner other wise the servers had to remove it from the table. On our last night one of the servers had just had enough, she started throwing things at him. Since that cruise we have had great tablemates. I guess 1 out 5, so far, is to bad.

rae519
06-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Ginger - was he the "cousin" of our little hell-on-seas? The child seated with us and the drunk parents was spitting, taking things off our plate to eat and trying to knock drinks over "by accident".

It's not the little ones misbehaving, it's the one who know better and whose parents don't care that are the most annoying!

Rae

ducklite
06-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Moosysmom
I should have added. These kids were older, definitely teenagers and the mother laughed at them when they made the comments about me.
I don't have a problem with elbow's on the table, (I'm the worst), using the finger as an additional spoon are no big deal to me. But swearing, and saying mean things about people you don't know is bad.

That is inexcusable. If my son ever behaved like that, he'd be overboard.

Anne

Buckaroo's Dad
06-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Hi Marie.

What if one day after my cruise I log on and read a story about my children misbehaving and ruining some family's trip

There's nothing like a court marshall at sea to complete a cruise...

Yes, Anne.

Not only overboard for "Buckaroo." There would be a ton of bubbles churning from his mouth due to all the soap...

Hey Incharge.

She must have gotten on the wrong ship. She meant to get on Canival

LOL...

Mjasp
06-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Rae...Are you kidding!!! These strangers were spitting and taking food off your plate? UGHHH

We cruised with friends so didn't have those problems Thank Goodness

Moosysmom...How sad you couldn't even eat and enjoy yourselves.

Joanna

trishy
06-11-2003, 08:54 PM
Okay, tablemates from hell - probably not. But we did cruise last year with some "undesirables". This family of 3 (ds5) had (1) no sense of humor at all; (2) no personality at all; (4) no manners at all. The kid was a little punk. For instance (and there were many "instances") my dd(6) was served her soup with the "big spoon" and was politely waiting while everyone was being served (as she was taught) this little punk took her "big spoon" because he thought it was "keeewwwwwllllllllll" - he puts it in his mouth - his mom takes the spoon out of his mouth and places it into her soup!!! Of course, the server had to replace the entire soup instead of just the spoon at that point. Ewww. Anyway, the guy was a terror. My dh likes to have a drink with dinner and these adults were avid nondrinkers ("preached" the dangers of it the first night we met) therefore, he received the glares throughout the week. The one night, the guy shows up in shorts and t-shirt (sweating) because he ran to the dining room straight from bingo. Anyway, our first cruise we went with friends and our next cruise we're going with friends - so it'll be good.

inkkognito
06-11-2003, 09:14 PM
It's a shame that some adults let their kids run amok (and also that some adults have no manners themselves!). We once sat at a table with a mom and three year old daughter, and that little girl could have taught the adults how to behave! I've never seen a child with such perfect manners. She was absolutely adorable.
On another cruise, we had a little boy and his mom at the table. Every night he embarrassed her by taking large quantities of bread...the amazing thing was that he would eat every piece that he took! It didn't bother hubby and I, as the servers were always more than happy to provide more. I could understand how the kid felt, as I LOVE some of the breads, such as that delicious banana bread and the focaccia.
That same little boy had a traumatic experience at the aquarium in Key West (he was squirted by a conch). He told us the story, and he was so totally serious...it was all I could do to keep from breaking out in laughter. It still makes me smile to remember him telling that story.
Barb

ncligs
06-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by ducklite

http://www.stupid-boy.com/smilies/otn/other/bulbool.gif

Buckaroo's Dad
06-11-2003, 10:37 PM
Hi trishy.

This family of 3 (ds5) had (1) no sense of humor at all; (2) no personality at all; (4) no manners at all.

It could have been worse so count your blessings. On second thought, let someone else count them for you...

trishy
06-12-2003, 12:47 AM
Yep, I edited and forgot to change that. Too funny. I left out (3) Had no class at all - but then I realized the other ones already added up to that obvious point!! But thanks for noticing. http://ourworld.cs.com/larjac2002/contract2.gif

hilltopfamily
06-12-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by MBFergie
I love reading these stories but........

What if one day after my cruise I log on and read a story about my children misbehaving and ruining some family's trip that they saved up for the last 5 years for, to go on before their children left to join the service to protect our country.

....Kids are kids. Mine are "full" of personality and bicker (okay...fight) 24/7. Somebody tell me if the dining rooms are filled with model children or rather tell me they are not filled with model children. Think I can give them something to calm them (JK).
Marie

MBFergie: know just what you mean. Since we're on the same cruise, at least we will have sympathy for each other. We've been working on "cruise dinner manners" each night. Son--eats too fast & smacks lips too much! Daughters--don't use napkins enough! And unwilling to try different "non-kid" foods.

Don't see how they will ever last more than 30 minutes! LOL Seriously, thinking they may need to eat right away, go to kids clubs, as they likely will not last through a 60 minute meal without getting squirmy. I guess there's always Topsiders :p

MarkRG
06-12-2003, 08:40 AM
I have to admit we have yet to have 'bad' tablemates. Mind you about half the time, we prearranged our tablemates by going with my parents. :p

I would share a couple of stories of really wierd table neighbors.

On the 7-day eastern we took a few years back, we had a family at the table next to us that it was very obvious that the grandparents were footing the bill(to the grandkids by one of the parents"Tell grandpa next year you want to go to Paris"). And it was also obvious how spoiled rotten the kids, both parents and grandkids, were. They would all get seated at one of the oblong tables, then make the servers rotate the table so the one woman was facing the forward motion of the ship. Like she couldn't have sat in the right chair to begin with?? Drama Queen extrordinaire. They were obnoxious in many other ways thru all 7 days. It honestly distracted the people seated around them.

Then, on the Feb Member cruise, the table next to us were the epitome of what we call around by us 'trailer trash'. I don't think any of them even owned a pair of pants, shorts all the way. Male parent in a muscle tee on one night even. And the only muscle showing was the beer gut. The little kid running amok in every restaruant every night. The teen daughter bringing a portable DVD player to dinner!! It was very surreal that someone could have no personal pride at all like that.

scott62
06-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by beschultz
When we cruised, we had our dinner reservations linked with Scott62 from the DIS Boards. We "met" on the thread for our cruise and our daughters became e-pals. Because we didn't plan on being together during the day, we could share stories at night. We had late seating and always managed to be one of the last tables occupied - still talking away!!

I would love to do the same thing for our next cruise. As the time draws closer, I will be looking out for that "perfect" match again!

Thanks Scott, Karen & Christine!

Thanks Beth for the wonderful post. We also very much enjoyed our evenings with you and your family. Those dinners with you made the cruise even more magical for us. I remember anxiously waiting the first night in PC to finally meet our table mates, celebrating Gretchen's birthday, meeting Pluto at the Character Breakfast, Mickey ice cream bars, chocolate lava cakes, and, of course, our last meal together in PC before leaving. :(

Remember to always trust Erasmo's recommendations and then
order a couple additional dishes to share!

I think everyone here should consider checking the DIS Board for a family comparable to your own on your cruise. Then make contact to see about having your reservations linked for dinner. That way you should avoid the "bad tablemates" since all of the DISer's I have met here were wonderful!

Scott

dclwdwlover
06-12-2003, 05:45 PM
... Our assigned tablemates have ALWAYS been fantastic! We've been very fortunate.
But, when you go into breakfast & lunch & get just anybody -
Last cruise we really wanted to be alone in the am, but they sat us at a table with a (crazy?) woman who proceeded to tell us her entire - & I mean entire - life story. If that wasn't bad enough - she did it in front of her daughter - or should I say "Adopted, used to be foster child daughter' as SHE kept referring to her. Boy, did we feel bad for that kid. For MANY reasons!:eek:

trishy
06-12-2003, 07:16 PM
Ya know, I think us DIS'rs are a pretty tolerant bunch (otherwise we wouldn't have remained here so long) so I don't think the occasional upset fussy child/adult is the problem - it's the people like "dcl" above is talking about. It's the real ignorant, rude type who don't know when to stop or the tyrant child who gets his way at everyone else's expense. http://ourworld.cs.com/larjac2002/chatty.gif

I don't think a cranky child/adult after a long day snorkeling in Cozumel is going to upset *MY* dining experience. *I* wouldn't be concerned in the least. http://ourworld.cs.com/larjac2002/cool.gif

[

rae519
06-13-2003, 08:48 AM
I know that for us, if we've had a long, busy day, it's best to have room service rather than sit through a long meal. Too often parents forget that kids are kids and not mini adults! If they are tired, cranky, then take care of THEIR needs first - and if that's a nap or early bedtime then so be it.

(Hey, a nap does sound pretty good for us adults too, doesn't it?!)

Rae

Incharge
06-13-2003, 12:58 PM
Rae,
You are so right. Children (especially little tikes) who have been excited and running around all day are bound to be tired by the late evening, especially if they are in the late dinner rotation. Like you said, they must either have a nap, or maybe not be able to attend the formal sit-down dinner. Some people may feel that they paid for it, so they are going.

Tigfanjeff
06-13-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by ducklite
I was concerned with stuff like elbows on the table, using his finger to scoop corn or rice onto the fork, using the wrong utensil, holding his spoon like a shovel, grabbing a roll and slathering six pats of butter on it then stuffing half into his mouth at once, things like that.

I never realized any of this was bad. :D

Trekker
06-13-2003, 02:52 PM
We've only been on one cruise so far and our table mates were.... well great mates.

There was my family of 4 - 2 teens (who know how to behave - or else!) a great couple Fred and Judy and traveling companions Bobbi and Becky.

The very first night at the table we realized that we all "knew" each other by different names. Our "screen names" - LOL!

Without ant preplanning at all we ended up with 3 groups all from the DIS! Plutojudy, ZYEZYE and Trekker. We felt like we had known each other for a long, long time.

CRSNDSNY
06-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Incharge
Rae,
You are so right. Children (especially little tikes) who have been excited and running around all day are bound to be tired by the late evening, especially if they are in the late dinner rotation. Like you said, they must either have a nap, or maybe not be able to attend the formal sit-down dinner. Some people may feel that they paid for it, so they are going.

Luckily the chairs in the dining rooms are cushy and cozy for the little ones! I've seen so many cuties snuggled up sleeping in their chairs!

inkkognito
06-14-2003, 10:38 AM
I've seen that, too, and I've even seen the servers bring a cover to tuck them in while they doze. :D
Barb

CRSNDSNY
06-14-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by inkkognito
I've seen that, too, and I've even seen the servers bring a cover to tuck them in while they doze. :D
Barb

That's so cute!

lbgraves
06-14-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by inkkognito
Barb

Awwww!!! How sweet. :)

Incharge
06-14-2003, 03:35 PM
Those little sweeties played themselves into oblivion:) They didn't care where they were. I would rather see a sleeping child than one crying the whole dinner. Have anyone ever seen a child cry through the whole meal? I would assume that the parent would take the poor thing out of the room, but you never know...:rolleyes:

Buckaroo's Dad
06-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Hi Incharge.

ever seen a child cry through the whole meal?

It's not the SEEING that disturbs me...

lbgraves
06-14-2003, 09:57 PM
While my kids are not little angels, we do manage to go out to eat fairly often. I mystery shop so I sometimes take them with me if there is an early breakfast or lunch shop to do. There have been a few times where we have quickly gotten our food packed to finish at home so the kids and others around us wouldn't have to endure waiting for us to finish our meal. They are just kids afterall. Sometimes it is hard for me to sit still for an hour. As long as we bring something for them to do while sitting there waiting, it usually works out just fine.

inkkognito
06-14-2003, 11:43 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a child cry through the whole meal, but on one of our seven day cruises there was a little boy at another table that we dubbed "Houdini." He was toddler age and absolutely determined to escape. Each night we would watch to see how long it would take him to manage to wiggle out of his set and head for the hills, and then how long it would be before an adult swooped in and returned him to captivity. He was a real cutie. One night he must have played especially hard because there was no escape attempt...he just drifted right off to sleep during the meal.
Barb

platypus123
06-15-2003, 01:04 AM
We've never been on a disney cruise and I'm curious. How do you get assigned tablemates? Are some tables only for 4 or do they all seat more than that? How do I find out which kind of table we are seated at? Also, if you get seated at a table with people you don't like, can you change tables?

Thanks for the info

trishy
06-15-2003, 02:41 AM
DCL tries to lump "like" people together at a table. For instance my family of 5 got lumped with a family of 3 at a table for 8 last cruise. The cruise before that our family was put with another family of 5 (we linked our ressies) at a table for 10. They try to seat families with families, singles with other singles or couples without children, etc. When you check in at the port, your KTTW card will specify a table number and a rotation. That in itself won't tell you whether you are seated with another family(s). Once you board you can go to the specified spot (noted on the Navigator - usually Sessions) to see specifics on your dining situation. If you do not like the arrangement, you can request a change then or they may tell you to wait until your dining time to see if changes could be made. For example, when we got our KTTW when we linked our ressies, we were at table 47 and our friends were at 74 - obviously a mistake. The dining manager handled it very well and called our staterooms to notify us of the correction prior to our dining time. Some tables seat 4. They really do try to accomodate everybody. If you realize there will be a problem with the people at your table, you can request a change at that time through the manager. Harder to get your request, but I've seen it happen. Definitely not anything to be worried about. DCL is packed full with children and adults who think they're still children; it's amazing the dining rooms are as enjoyable as they are. ;)

eva
06-15-2003, 05:16 AM
I know that everyone says that DCL tries to match table mates with similar people, but they really screwed up with our assignment last month. Early in the day we had stopped by Triton's to see what table we had assigned and were excited to see it was a table for 8. We thought that we would be seated with 3 other couples and we should surely find one couple to visit with. Instead they sat my husband and myself (celebrating our 20th anniversary) with 3 women and 3 young children. Not only were they all women with children, but they mostly spoke Spanish. And the youngest ,who was 6, was quite spoiled. She sure kept our assisant server hopping. The 3 women were trying to apease her the entire meal. At Triton's she ordered pizza and didn't like it, so she wanted bacon. The assistant server brought her a small plate with about 5 slices on it. She ate that and then demanded more, I couldn't believe the way she "asked". So the assistanat server got smart and brought out a large plate with about 20 slices of bacon. The girl didn't even touch a one. The poor women had quite a time keeping that girl in her seat. She ended up running around the table about half the meal. Guess she had to work off all that bacon. We tried to get ahold of our head waiter before we left that night to try to get a different table the next night. But he had already left before we were done with dinner. I was astonished. But I do have to admit that we were about the last to leave that night. Our table mates didn't get to dinner until 9pm and the waiter didn't come until everyone was there. Luckily our assistant server (who was fantastic) brought us drinks while we waited. We decided just to leave things as they were. It was only a 3-night cruise and we had reservations for Palo the last night. We've just learned our lesson. We will always ask for a table that will seat the exact number in our party. We are going again next May with our 2 adult daughters, my MIL and possibly my sister. There will be 5-6 of us and we definitely will be requesting a table for 6. It's too bad, I really like to meet new people. But I don't want to go through that again.

taswira
06-15-2003, 08:57 AM
I think they screwed up even worse on my recent cruise. Out of 6 cruises with half of them solo, I <I>never</I> had a real problem until this last one. They assigned me, as a solo cruiser, to a table consisting of only ONE family that was having a family reunion sort of thing and wanted it to be "just them." What happened after that turned my dining experience into a stressful one for me. My report is on my <B><a href="http://www.magicaldisney.com">MagicalDisney.com</A></B> site under "Cruises."

DCL should NOT seat a single individual with ONE family, IMHO!

999thghost
06-15-2003, 09:06 AM
my only encounter with a cruise was not exactly great. i guess i didnt realize that on a cruise there is no table for two.here i thought i was going on a romantic cruise with the mrs, only to find that we would be seated with another couple.not my dream situation but hey i figured i give it a shot. well first off the couple were much younger than us and i tried every conversation tactic i know.not much worked.my last resort was to buy a nice bottle of wine for the table for all to share.80$ later i find out that nobody drank at the table.not even my wife.do you think it went to waste???:p nope...hiccup.....heres a hint for all cruises other than the disney type, if you dont drink, gamble or dance a cruise is not for you.

rae519
06-15-2003, 11:07 AM
Taswira!
Welcome back to the Boards! I've missed your posts very much!
Hope all is well with you and that you continue to post!

I agree that a single should be seated with other adults and not families - with the exception of the "drunken spitters or Casanovas"!

We heard the GREAT Fidelio is back at Dueling Pianos on the Magic - just hope he is still there in 47 days when we cruise!

BD - I agree it isn't the "seeing" a crying child that is so disturbing, it's the ignorant parents who satisfy their own food lust who refuse to comfort/remove the child.
We saw a father put his child's stroller (with the 18 month old child inside) it against a wall and the child screamed and screamed. When the child stopped, he was brought back to the table.
You have no idea how irate people were about that! The serving staff was very uncomfortable about the entire situation.

Rae

Talking Hands
06-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Geez you guys are making me nervous about dining. I'm travelling with just my husband who hates screaming kids. Has no tolerance for them. We communicate with a combination of voice and ASL. I sign, but he doesn't although he understands me most of the time. And we're stuck with early dining so I know there will be kids around. Normally we wouldn't eat until 7:30 or 8 pm at home. And I refuse to wear my hearing aids in a noisy restaurant! I hope we survive.

WDWLVR
06-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Lisa,

If it is just you and your husband you will most likely be put in the adult rotation starting in Lumiere's or Triton's (depending on the ship). That will reduce the number of children you have around you (there are some children on every rotation, but this rotation has the fewest).

Yes, there have been some horror stories, but pleae remember they are few and far between. If you would feel comfortable at a smaller table (say for 4) let Disney know. I assume that you have also advised them of your hearing loss. I'm sure they will take that into consideration as well. They want the experience to be wonderful for everyone.

SingingMom
06-15-2003, 06:23 PM
Our table-mates were another family of three, but their son was 15 and our daughter was 7. They were seated when we arrived at the table and the wife took one look at our daughter and raised her eyebrow as if "I am NOT sitting with a 7 year old for a week." Her displeasure was VERY obvious.

We introduced ourselves, said hello, and the server came right over with the menus. He handed our daughter the children's menu and the first thing out of her mouth was, "Where's the escargot?" ! Our table-mate's husband and son burst out laughing and the wife looked stunned. The server chuckled, made a slight bow, and said, "I guess madam would prefer the adult menu!" :p

It was all we needed to break the ice and the rest of the week was very pleasant. The husband actually took our daughter's hand on the last evening, kissed it, and said, "It has been a pleasure to share this week with you, my dear."

shoes99
06-15-2003, 06:35 PM
"Disney likes to lump like people together".
It was just the two of us and we were on Deck 2, outside cabin. We were in our cabin and we heard rumbling at the door, a family of 4 was trying to get into our cabin. We smiled and told them they were mistaken. Guest services had written our cabin number down on a piece of paper...for them??
Well, we were the first family to arrive at dinner. The server looked straight ito my eyes and said, "Good Evening, Mrs. XYZ".
Well, I was flabbergasted. How did he know my name.
Then the next family of 4 arrived. Good Evening, Mrs. XYZ....
(They were the family that was trying to get into our cabin)
All six of us had the same last name. The other family was from California and they had two beautiful teenage daughters. It was a delightful table. The girls would rush out after dessert and we would stay with Mom & Dad to chat. We had a very nice time and still keep in touch over email.

Buckaroo's Dad
06-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Hi shoes99.

we were on Deck 9, outside cabin.

Where did you sleep, Topsiders???...

shoes99
06-15-2003, 10:14 PM
Whoops, we were on deck 2, cabin 2572 and our tablemates were in 2573.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
we were on Deck 9, outside cabin.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where did you sleep, Topsiders???...

trishy
06-16-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Talking Hands
Geez you guys are making me nervous about dining. I'm travelling with just my husband who hates screaming kids. Has no tolerance for them. We communicate with a combination of voice and ASL. I sign, but he doesn't although he understands me most of the time. And we're stuck with early dining so I know there will be kids around. Normally we wouldn't eat until 7:30 or 8 pm at home. And I refuse to wear my hearing aids in a noisy restaurant! I hope we survive.

I've only been on 2 disney cruises, but they've both been during the July crowded, sell-out (kid) cruises and I have yet to hear the screaming kids in the restaurants. I've heard a lot of laughter, "having fun" type of talking, cheering (during server-related entertainment like magic tricks, napkin hats, etc.) but I don't think I've just been lucky. It's definitely not a really quiet dining experience like you would get on an older non-kid friendly ship. However, I don't think you will be disappointed (unless you're put with a kid who eats the food off your plate and licks your spoons ;) )

Gina
06-16-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
Yes, but (thankfully) not on a cruise. It was solved, however - I got a divorce...

You and me both, BD... :D Cheers!

And by the way, a very very Happy Father's Day to you... it's pretty obvious to all your DIS friends that you're a great dad. :)

*goes off to start plotting a DIS Single Parents cruise*

-gina-

Buckaroo's Dad
06-16-2003, 06:36 AM
Good morning Gina.

a very very Happy Father's Day to you

Thank you! My son woke me up at 6:10AM on Fathers' Day. I was served breakfast in bed!!! (I guess it was the Early Bird Special). It was the BEST scrambled eggs without spices, toast with too much butter and warm orange juice I ever had. Then I unwrapped my present tucked under the card "Buckaroo" made for me. A digital travel alarm clock. It'll be the very first item on my "must pack" list for our cruise!

I hope EVERYONE - dads AND moms alike - had as special a day as I did...

PS - Gina. I like the idea of a Single Parent's Cruise. Perhaps we can "link" it to the Rae & Andy 50th Birthday Shrimpfest Cruise???

Gina
06-16-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
It was the BEST scrambled eggs without spices, toast with too much butter and warm orange juice I ever had. Then I unwrapped my present tucked under the card "Buckaroo" made for me. A digital travel alarm clock. It'll be the very first item on my "must pack" list for our cruise!

That's so sweet!!! *sniffle*

PS - Gina. I like the idea of a Single Parent's Cruise. Perhaps we can "link" it to the Rae & Andy 50th Birthday Shrimpfest Cruise???

What and when is that?? Guess I need to take time to read more posts... :)

-gina-

rae519
06-16-2003, 10:39 AM
April 16, 2005 - the Andy and Rae LIVE on the Magic Tour!

Welcome one and all - Only two requirements:

(1) Keep your mits off our shrimp!
and
(2) Remember Andy turns 50 before I do!

Rae

Buckaroo's Dad
06-16-2003, 11:13 PM
Hi Rae. You cannot camouflage yourself, my dear. For example:

Keep your mits off our shrimp!

A true to life hard ars would have said My shrimp or THE shrimp.

And here's another fine personality specimen:

Andy turns 50 before I do

A true to life hard ars wouldn't care if she were older than Andy...

rae519
06-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Caught me again, BD!

Rae

Moosysmom
06-17-2003, 10:34 AM
I think it would be wonderful to fill up the April 16th cruise with the Rae and Andy 50th Birthday Shrimpfest and the Gina started single parent's cruise. Altho my child has 4 paws and fur.

MBFergie
06-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Talking Hands said: And we're stuck with early dining so I know there will be kids around.

I am sure if you want the later seating you can switch it easily. Families with kids who book late get "stuck" with late seating alot and go on waiting list to switch to the earlier seating. I think you go to Sessions right after you board to switch your seating if you are unhappy. There is always Palos too..

rae519
06-17-2003, 04:11 PM
I think it would be wonderful to fill up the April 16th cruise with the Rae and Andy 50th Birthday Shrimpfest and the Gina started single parent's cruise. Altho my child has 4 paws and fur.

Four paws and fur!!!! Crack me up, Lynn!!!!!

Yes, we just hope that Disney opens up the 2005 so our tentative date is available!! It's also Disneylands 50th Birthday - wouldn't it be great if we could go West for that one! Yes, more airfare for some of us - but hey, it's the spirit of the event!

I spoke with Roger Saturday morning - he went to NY and then off to Brazil on Sunday night. Sounds marvelous! I know we will all miss him but still....we have a friend for life in him!
By the way, his birthday is 6/29!!!

Rae

Moosysmom
06-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Go West, it works for me altho I will literally be flying all the way across the country. Lots of Miles. I keep waiting for them to open up the 2005 cruises. I'll be on the Birthday cruise.
I wrote down his birthday so I remember, that is the day I am coming back home from my brother's wedding in Minnesota. Funny, I already think of Florida as home. I'm glad he's getting to go home to see the family. We definitely have to try and get Roger on the 50th Birthday Cruise. What fun.:D :D :D

rae519
06-17-2003, 07:08 PM
Lynn,
Mom, Tom, Michael and I were talking about that! What a kick it would be for his former servers to be serving him! I'd love for him to bring Rebeka - want to fight over tables mates then?!~

I also want to comment about breakfast and lunch tables mates - some of the most wonderful, interesting and entertaining people have been a "one meal mate" for us! So don't get scared by our postings and just remember it's only 7 nights and when you get great table mates, that's just not long enough!

Rae

CRSNDSNY
06-17-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by rae519
I also want to comment about breakfast and lunch tables mates - some of the most wonderful, interesting and entertaining people have been a "one meal mate" for us! So don't get scared by our postings and just remember it's only 7 nights and when you get great table mates, that's just not long enough!

Rae

I would have to agree. Those that we keep in touch with most after two cruises, we met at a Triton's sit-down breakfast! We've also met interesting and fun people for non-buffet lunches.

Verandah Man
06-17-2003, 07:52 PM
April 16, 2005 - the Andy and Rae LIVE on the Magic Tour!

Welcome one and all - Only two requirements:

(1) Keep your mits off our shrimp!
and
(2) Remember Andy turns 50 before I do!

Rae

Geez, I just found this thread and see what I find!!!

You (Andy) turn 50 one month before someone else (Rae) does and you can't live it down. I guess, since my DW turns 50, 13 months before me, I should really let her have it, right BD? Of course, since you are divorced, maybe you wouldn't be the right person to ask, LOL!!!

Buckaroo's Dad
06-17-2003, 09:28 PM
Hi Andy, Nice to see you again.

since my DW turns 50, 13 months before me, I should really let her have it, right BD? Of course, since you are divorced, maybe you wouldn't be the right person to ask,

If I were you, I wouldn't ask me...

Moosysmom
06-17-2003, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rae519
[B]Lynn,
Mom, Tom, Michael and I were talking about that! What a kick it would be for his former servers to be serving him! I'd love for him to bring Rebeka - want to fight over tables mates then?!~

How about a giant table we can share.

I to, had interesting lunch and dinner tablemates. Only the 1 time was I a little bummed, but I can survive anything, at least I was almost done eating by the time they came, and didn't have anything to linger over like the other times.

Andy, what took you so long to find us here.

Verandah Man
06-17-2003, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rae519
[B]Lynn,

How about a giant table we can share.

I to, had interesting lunch and dinner tablemates. Only the 1 time was I a little bummed, but I can survive anything, at least I was almost done eating by the time they came, and didn't have anything to linger over like the other times.

Andy, what took you so long to find us here.

I've never been on a cruise before, so I didn't have any horror tablemate stories to share, and I was almost afraid to read this thread, but since our group of six are supposed to have our own table on our August cruise, I thought I'd drop in a read these stories after all, now I'm glad I did. I found out my "OLD" pal Rae is up to her little tricks again!!! LOL!!!

rae519
06-18-2003, 08:36 AM
Well, Andy, you do turn 50 before me - and before Disneyland officially opened - so in respect for my ELDERS, I reserved one of those beach wheelchairs for you - look in my photo album and you can see I was trying it out. Works great! You will love it!

Rae

LG123
06-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Hi Rae and Andy.

Boy are you guys old! Guess at your age you need a vacation.

Rae - what photo album are you talking about?

Andy - can't wait to go Dixie Crossroads!

Happy Cruising.

Lori ;)

Verandah Man
06-18-2003, 11:39 AM
Well, Andy, you do turn 50 before me - and before Disneyland officially opened - so in respect for my ELDERS, I reserved one of those beach wheelchairs for you - look in my photo album and you can see I was trying it out. Works great! You will love it!

Rae

Rae,
I saw that photo Rae. Angelina asked who was in the scooter, I told her some old lady, ha! ha! Just joking, I might have to get one of those for Hazel, though!!!

Lori,
When are you going to Dixie Crossroads??? Have some "Rock Shrimp" and "Corn Fritters" for me!!!

The photo album Rae is talking about is one that she sent to me, it was photos from her May 3 cruise.

LG123
06-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Andy.

You will be there before us! We are driving down in December for our cruise and stopping at Dixie Crossroads the night before. Hope Hazel's hip is feeling better. I am an orthopedic nurse and know all about those things. Love your vacation pictures.

Happy Cruising!

Lori

Buckaroo's Dad
06-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Boy are you guys old!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

natsmom125
06-18-2003, 04:51 PM
We have never had bad table mate experiences on the Magic or Wonder. Of course, we have had dinner the very best...
Ginger and her DH; Barb and Tony, Kat and her DH...who, by the way, after our last cruise...had a "little souviner" 9 mos later....

Disney has the very best(except when it comes to elevator
manners...another subject..won't go there).

Phyllis

:cool:

gometros
06-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Gee, I didn't know shipping could take that long :D

ncligs
06-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by natsmom125
Kat and her DH...who, by the way, after our last cruise...had a "little souviner" 9 mos later....

http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/301.gif

4myguys
06-18-2003, 07:21 PM
ncligs: I love watching what your smilies are going to do next.http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/comp/comp10.gif

lbgraves
06-18-2003, 07:22 PM
LOL! That makes me think of the commercial where the kid is telling someone about his family's cruise vacation. The camera moves back to show his mom & a baby. The kid says "Dad says that's Mommy's souvenir." ;) One of the managers at the grocery store I go to says that she thinks of me whenever she sees that commercial. NOT funny!!!

ncligs
06-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by 4myguys
ncligs: I love watching what your smilies are going to do next.

http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/coollook.gif

rae519
06-19-2003, 08:02 AM
BD - Age like wine only gets better before it gets bitter!

Rae

dclwdwlover
06-21-2003, 09:51 PM
Now I'm confused - I thought that ,with your signature, you are an avid cruiser. Are you teasing that this is your 1st cruise? Otherwise, where do you get your 'title' from?

P.S. My regards to Hazel (Mrs. G. Burns) - my husb. still cracks up over your stories:D :)

Buckaroo's Dad
06-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Yo Rae!

Age like wine only gets better before it gets bitter!

Sounds like an AARP fortune cookie...

Verandah Man
06-22-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by dclwdwlover
Now I'm confused - I thought that ,with your signature, you are an avid cruiser. Are you teasing that this is your 1st cruise? Otherwise, where do you get your 'title' from?

P.S. My regards to Hazel (Mrs. G. Burns) - my husb. still cracks up over your stories:D :)

If you go to www.verandahman.com and read the home page, you will find out how my user name came about.

Life with Hazel (aka Mrs. G. Burns) is a comedy daily!!! That's probably why I love her so much, she is the complete opposite of me!!! We go well together, like wine and cheese!!!

And yes, this is our FIRST cruise of any kind.

Disney1fan2002
06-22-2003, 07:56 AM
We have only been on the one cruise from 2.5 years ago. We were lucky enough to sit with two very nice couples, and a granmother travelling with her grandaughter from Venezuela. Quite a varied group. One couple was older, grown children. DVC members using their points for the cruise. They were so much into Disney and DVC, they may even be members of this board. They were from Ohio. The other couple was a young couple from Canada on their honeymoon. My dh and myself were in our early 30's. The little gilr was 10. She was so cute. Very shy, so we enjoyed spending the evening trying to get her to smile. She spoke little english, but her Grandmother spoke fluent English, and talked about one of her sons being a Dr. in the states, and Disney is right, it IS A SMALL WORLD. He lives in a town in Massachusetts that I worked in!

I really looked forward to dinner every night. It was so nice to be able to learn about people's lives.

dclwdwlover
06-22-2003, 09:07 AM
Thanks for your reply. I WILL go to your web page & ck out yr info. You are going to LOVE the cruise. U & yr wife enjoy. Can't wait to hear all about it.:bounce: