PDA

View Full Version : For those renting a car on the islands - especially St. Thomas

bahama97
06-08-2003, 11:11 PM
We just got back from our 5/31 cruise. We had a fabulous time.

I thought I would share what happened to us - in case you are planning on renting a car from Budget on St. Thomas. I will NEVER get a reservation from them again & if at all possible, I will use other rental agencies. I was not pleased with their service at all.

We had decided to rent a car on St. Thomas & drive to Magen's Bay. We had planned to do some other site seeing too, so we thought renting a car would be best. Before the cruise, I went to Budget's website & reserved a CAR. We have a toddler, so I did not feel comfortable with putting her in a jeep. I made the reservation, gave a credit card number, got a confirmation number & everything. We get to the Budget office on St. Thomas - it was just a short walk from the dock. I give her my reservation & guess what? No car for us. I ask her - do you have my reservation? She says yes. They have our reservation for a car, just no car. It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode, LOL. She offers us a jeep, but like I said before, we really needed a car. I ended up cancelling the reservation & walking out.

We ended up taking a taxi. The taxi driver told us that they run out of cars all the time. I don't know if this part is true or not, but he said that they don't care about reservations. Whoever shows up first with the money, is who they give the cars to. I'm kind of glad that we ended up getting a taxi. We got a closed in van. The roads are very narrow and winding there. I didn't realize that St. Thomas was so hilly. We had to go over/around a mountain/hill to get to Magen's Bay. I had envisioned a flat area, but that definitely wasn't the case. It was nice to have someone drive us around who new the terrain & the way to go.

I guess I have rambled on enough. I just wanted to give a warning to anyone planning on renting a car from Budget on St. Thomas.

Happy Cruising!

RellingTwin
06-09-2003, 06:23 AM
It was also a problem for me here in S.C.. I reserved a pick up truck from Budget. We HAD to have a pick up as we were using it to carry a canoe. I reserved via the web site 2 weeks ahead, then called 2 days before to confirm. When we got there, they did not have the truck, but offered us a SUV. Since there was no luggage rack on the roof of the SUV this would not work! I was SO aggravated!
The Seinfeld episode was so true! I don't know why they do that! I had looked at several companies, but when reserving a truck, the other companies indicated no truck was available, but Budget said it was.

kajohn
06-09-2003, 09:06 AM
We used budget in St. Thomas and had no problems. However, we got off the ship as soon as we could, so we were probably one of the first customers.

MagicMouseketeers
06-09-2003, 11:26 AM
We heard of a couple other incidents like this. So we decided NOT to pre reserve a car on St Maarten. We don't have any special needs so we're just going to wing it.