PDA

View Full Version : Non "beach" excursions on 7-day

BethC1952
06-05-2003, 10:12 AM
DH and I are considering a 7 night cruise (finally!) late next spring. What kind of "non-beach" and "non-water" excursions are available on either itinerary (we haven't decided which one yet). DH doesn't swim well and doesn't like being where he can't stand up in the water, and neither one of us is really a "beach person". We live less than two blocks from the beach here in New Jersey and hardly ever go there. Castaway Cay will be plenty of beach for us!

We'll be very happy to get off the ship at each port, look around a bit and get back on and enjoy an almost-empty ship if we can't find anything else to do!

Beth

Lloyd Dobler
06-05-2003, 10:35 AM
One of my favorite non-beach excursions is the St. John Eco Hike during the St. Thomas call. There is a stop at a beach during the hike, but it's mostly through the forest. It's not too hard a hike, fairly hilly, maybe a mile or two.

Also, in most ports, there is an island tour excursion, which is a good way to get an overview of an island if it's the first time you've been there. You can usually get a taxi driver to give you a tour on your own, at an agreed price.

It's also fun to just wander around on your own, checking out shops, stopping for a drink or a bite to eat. I usually end up doing this for a few hours at most ports.

trishy
06-05-2003, 05:29 PM
DCL Excursions (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/disneycruiseline/funonshore/funonshoreindex?id=FunOnshoreRoot)

I would just check out the Disney site for a listing if you want some general ideas. Once you figure the desired itinerary, you can get more detailed info and tips on certain port excursions outside of DCL. There's just so much to do. Personally, I think the Eastern is better for non-water people.

inkkognito
06-05-2003, 05:47 PM
We did the horseback riding in Cozumel and loved it! We also did the jeep tour, which does stop at a beach, but you don't have to swim. You have your own canopy area and lunch so you could just relax or hike around. The beach stop is relatively short as it's just one part of the overall tour.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.*****************

shoes99
06-05-2003, 07:04 PM
Lloyd Dobler: What type of footware did you use on the St. John's Eco Hike.? Are running shoes ok or do we need something different?

CRSNDSNY
06-06-2003, 08:05 AM
We enjoyed the Butterfly Farm and Island Tour in St. Maarten. Would definitely do it again!

BethC1952
06-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Thanks for all the input. I knew I could count on you!

We couldn't decide which itinerary we wanted to try, but we've finally made our decision...we're going to try both!

We're probably going to do the Western in May, 2004 (the week of my birthday) and then the Eastern in December, 2004!

Now to figure out how to pay for all this cruising....

Beth

Lloyd Dobler
06-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by shoes99
Lloyd Dobler: What type of footware did you use on the St. John's Eco Hike.? Are running shoes ok or do we need something different?

Running shoes would probably be OK. You might want something with a little more support. I usually wear a pair of leather tennis shoes. You don't need to pack hiking boots just for the excursion.

Buckaroo's Dad
06-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Hi Beth.

Now to figure out how to pay for all this cruising

Well, one way you WON'T be earning extra money is for DH to take a part-time summer job as a lifeguard...

CruzNMom
06-06-2003, 06:08 PM
You received plenty of advice so far but since you decided on Western, I thought I'd tell you what we did:

Key West - took the Trolly Tour - very interesting and guide told us a little history of Key West. Then we walked around for the rest of the afternoon. There is a Hard Rock Cafe and Jimmy Buffet's Margarittaville (sp?) if you get hungry. We also saw some little electric cars (looked a bit like golf carts) that we thought we might rent when we go back next time.

Grand Cayman - kids and I went snorkeling but hubby doesn't do water so he took a bus tour that went several places, one being something like "Hell Hole" - I think it was volcanic. He enjoyed it quite a bit. We were all finished early afternoon and spent a couple of hours walking around the town and ate somewhere (must not have been remarkable because I can't remember!)

Cozumel - we did the Tulum Ruins Tour. It was very enjoyable. You take a large jet ferry to the mainland then a bus for an hour or so down to Tulum. Our guide was of Mayan descent and gave us a wonderful introduction to the culture on the way down. We had a couple of hours at Tulum (same guide) then some free time. There was a beautiful beach accessible only through the ruins so we did wade out a bit (didn't have suits), but it was optional and only for a few minutes. There were some nice shops where we bought a few souveniers that seemed less "touristy" that the ones in port.

You can always stay on board the ship - good day to book into the spa or work out.

rae519
06-06-2003, 09:22 PM
Mom (74), DS Michael (8) and I did the St. John land tour, and the St. Maarten Sea and See tour. All were non-beach/non-stressful tours and very nice.

We (DH, DS and I) are planning to do the horseback riding at Grand Cayman, the Stingray City there and the Dolphin Swim at Cozumel in August.

Lots to do for us, non beachers!

Rae

BethC1952
06-07-2003, 08:15 AM
Once again, thanks for all the great info! The tours sound wonderful. That's our kind of vacation! We love all things having to do with local history and culture.

I told DH about the horseback riding. I won't quote exactly what he said ;) but the last time he was on a horse was in December of 1982, at Fort Wilderness in WDW. He says he's still sore :teeth:

Buckaroo's Dad said Well, one way you WON'T be earning extra money is for DH to take a part-time summer job as a lifeguard...

No, but he did offer to watch the beach for "underclad young ladies" so that he can warn them about the dangers of skin cancer LOL!!

Beth

rae519
06-08-2003, 09:04 AM
Beth - your DH is really thinking!!!!!

BD, don't you wish you'd have thought of that first!!! You can always switch of - one talks, one watches!

Rae

Buckaroo's Dad
06-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Hi Beth.

he did offer to watch the beach for "underclad young ladies" so that he can warn them about the dangers of skin cancer

What a self-sacrificing man you have there,Beth, to donate his time to others so benignly...

Hi Rae.

don't you wish you'd have thought of that first

My mind doesn't work that way... LOL...

rae519
06-08-2003, 04:44 PM
AT least you are honest about it - DH "accidentally" reved up the car engine the other day when a miniskirted gal came out of the restaurant we were at. He insisted he was an accident - my best friend and I were in hysterics because we KNOW the woman very well and teased him unmercifully about it!

Glad he has those raging hormones though!!!!!
Almost as good as dread locks for me!

Rae

Buckaroo's Dad
06-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi Rae.

He insisted he was an accident

Interesting. DH embarrasses himself and then, as punishment, refers to himself as a bast***...

rae519
06-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Hey, Mom says that I was a "sinus condition"!!!!!!!!! Does that mean I'm a little snot?!

Rae

BethC1952
06-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Rae said Mom says that I was a "sinus condition"!!!!!!!!!

That's funny! My daughter-in-law went to the doctor thinking she had a sinus infrection--and several months later we became the proud grandparents of Shannan. Now they want to bring home a souvenir from our cruise in December!

I've often told DH that he better keep looking at all the other women so that he can fully understand that he has the best there is at home (and, of course that would be me!)

Beth

Buckaroo's Dad
06-08-2003, 09:50 PM
Does that mean I'm a little snot?!

Would it be any better to be a big bugger???...

rae519
06-09-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by BethC1952
Rae said

That's funny! My daughter-in-law went to the doctor thinking she had a sinus infrection--and several months later we became the proud grandparents of Shannan. Now they want to bring home a souvenir from our cruise in December!

I've often told DH that he better keep looking at all the other women so that he can fully understand that he has the best there is at home (and, of course that would be me!)

Beth

So Shannan and I will have that as our first memory of Mom and Dad's joy!!!!

Ohhh, your DH has it covered, doesn't he?
Are you married to BD, by any chance? That sounds like something he'd come up with.

BD - Hi Bubby! Hope you have a wonderful day!
Buggie

Rae