PDA

View Full Version : Cruising without kids???

goofy4dvc
06-04-2003, 09:43 PM
Are there many adults who cruise without kids? DH and I are hoping to take DCL trip sometime in the next year, especially if they offer DVC member only cruise. I would assume there are alot of kids on a Disney Cruise. We're empty nesters but we could take a couple of grandkids. We just thought we might enjoy our first cruise more if it was just the two of us. However, if we're going to be seated with kids anyway, I think I would rather bring a couple of the grandkids. I need advice from those of you who have been. Thanks.

schucrew
06-04-2003, 09:57 PM
We took our first cruise in January 2003, and it was just the 2 of us (early 50's empty nesters). We used our DVC points, so it was easy, although not the best use of points, and did the 3 day cruise. We chose the late seating, and were seated at a table for 4 with another couple about our age. There weren't many children at the late seating.
We liked the fact that Disney has areas, like the adult pool, and Route 66 (the nightclub area), that are off limits for kids. So there was always somewhere to go if you wanted to get away from kids.
We had a great time. Don't feel you NEED to have children with you; it is lots of fun to go as a couple.

JanDave
06-05-2003, 04:47 AM
My husband and I (both in our 50s) have cruised twice on the Magic. We'll be cruising on the 6/29 Wonder with a 6 year old. DCL has great accommodations for adults. You will enjoy.

disny4ever
06-05-2003, 05:36 AM
My DW and I have sailed the high sea's (3) times on DCL and have never taken our kids with us. We have only had 1 cruise when we were seated with any kids at dinner (late seating).
You might be surprised on the number of couples on the ship.

Buckaroo's Dad
06-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Good morning disny4ever.

I have sailed the high sea's

A 1960's cruise???...

Hi goofy4dvc.

Are there many adults who cruise without kids?

You can cruise on DCL without your kids but not without the kid in you...

joanb
06-05-2003, 06:12 AM
I'd love to crusie Disney without the children, BUT THEY WOULD NEVER LET US GO WITHOUT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Chattyaholic
06-05-2003, 09:28 AM
DH and I took a 7-night Magic (Eastern) cruise in January '01 to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We had early seating, and were seated with a family of 5. The youngest child (age 6) was a bit bothersome at times, but not enough to make us want to try and get a table change. We were only with them for dinner, so it wasn't "that bad." We loved the fact that Disney separates adults from kids, so we could enjoy the adult pool area without little ones around. I'm really not "into" other people's kids and there were 900 on our first cruise, but rarely saw them as they were busy in their clubs. Our second 7-night Magic (Western) cruise was this past January, and again we went without any children and again had a wonderful time! We were seated at a table for 4 this time, with another couple a bit older than us, so we did enjoy that more. We are doing the Wonder in January, with my parents, and will request a table for just the 4 of us. There are lots of couples who cruise Disney without children.
Give it a try, I bet you'd love it too! :)

nicurnc
06-05-2003, 09:43 AM
We have been on DCL and Princess. We loved our cruise on Princess, but did notice kids around a whole lot more. I don't think there were as many activities for them. Plus LOTS of kids in strollers ( and not just little srollers, either). This made it hard to navigate areas when shows let out. Always kids in the "adult" pools. Didn't appear to be any rules about swim diapers.

On DCL, while we knew there were lots of kids, we just didn't have any problems. They always seemed to be busy doing their own thing. The Mickey pool was always packed with kids, but guess what...You can go to the adult pool. The few times anyone tried to bring an infant in or just "let them take a quick dip" they were approached by CMs.
We had late dinner seating and shared a table with two couples about our age (40's) without kids on this cruise and we all noticed how few kids seemed to be at this seating rotation (LAP).

Have fun! A cruise is a great romantic getaway;) You won't be disappointed with Disney.

Loretta

BethC1952
06-05-2003, 10:01 AM
We're early 50's empty nesters also. We've gone without kids twice. On our December 2002 cruise we took DH's dad, so I guess we were the kids!

For our trip in December, we're bringing our son (who's bringing his wife and their daughter) and DH's sister, her husband and their two kids, so this will be a whole new thing for us! I'm not sure I want to share "my ship" with all those kids!

Beth

Favorite Auntie
06-05-2003, 10:23 AM
I have done two Disney 7 night cruises without any children. They were definitely a blast. We were not at a table with children either thime. Once I went with my parents and the other time with my parents and a friend of mine. DCL does do a great job of keeping the kids busy and away from the adults...HOWEVER...I did feel a tad guilty for enjoying these cruises without any children, and in November I am taking my 5 year old nephew with my parents and I. I am so excited, I can't wait to see his little face! My parents are really looking forward to it too - they always have a better time enjoying it with one of the grand kids. But you will definitely have a great time with adults only too!

disney6
06-05-2003, 10:54 AM
My Dad was questioning this also (and we took 5 kids) and checked out the airports at every port (we did the 7 day Eastern) in case he needed to get off! He and his wife were expecting kids underfoot constantly and were so surprised about how separated the adult and kids areas were. They LOVED it so much that they asked my DH and I to go on the Western this November without any kids! My DH and I are already wishing we could take the kids because they love it so much BUT THEY WEREN'T INVITED! People on the board here assure us we'll have a great time without them! Go and enjoy!

mkauffman
06-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
You can cruise on DCL without your kids but not without the kid in you...

Great reply, BD!

Michelle;)

goofy4dvc
06-05-2003, 12:29 PM
Thanks, everyone for all your quick answers. It's not that I didn't want to sit at a table with kids. I have 7 grandkids, so I love kids. I just didn't want to feel out of place if there were no other couples without kids. I too would probably feel a little guilty not taking some of the grandkids, so I'll give it some more thought. I'm sure I'd be constantly saying "The kids would love this...the kids would enjoy that...I wish we had brought some of the grandkids..."

AprilN
06-05-2003, 12:56 PM
As half of a younger couple w/o kids that recently cruised on the Magic, I definitely endorse DCL as a great place to cruise without kids! I really appreciated all the areas that were kept kid-free, especially Sessions, Beat Street at night, Palo, and the spa.

Then again, I found myself hanging out by the Mickey pool with a book a few times during the cruise, just watching the kids have fun - it was very cute! During the week I even met a few very friendly kids on the elevators, and it was fun to talk to them about the cruise. And we chose a secluded section of the family beach on Castaway Cay (right next to Gil's) and had a great time.

The only place I found the children to be a little annoying was in the Walt Disney Theater - the rows are so close together, and one evening a young child was sitting on her mom's lap in the row behind me, just inches from my head, talking and eating popcorn during the entire performance. Of course, more blame rests on the parent, in that case - would it have been too hard to get the child her own seat, or to keep her quiet during the show?

Anyway, as far as dinner is concerned, our goal was to not sit with any children, so we chose the late seating. It was not possible to request "no children", but a DCL rep recommended requesting a table for 4 - thus ensuring that the our tablemates would be a party of 2, and almost certainly a couple of adults. It worked out great, and DCL paired us with another young married couple.

I doubt you would be the only couple without kids on the ship, but that probably also depends on the time of year - during the summer and other school holidays, the kid population onboard certainly grows. We loved it so much, we're planning to cruise again - hopefully next time with my parents!

April

kimtenn
06-05-2003, 01:16 PM
DH and I are in our late 30's and have no children (but we have nothing against kids), and we've cruised Disney twice (3-day park/cruise in 2000, 7-day eastern 2002) without children and we had a BLAST both times! We did late seating at dinner both times, which I'm sure helps with a lighter kid population. We sat alone the first time then the second time with a table of 6 other cruisers without kids -- which was wonderful.

Also, the kids never seemed to get in our way except on the elevators, running them up and down for no reason, but I think that was due to lack of parental supervision. I'm not into other peoples' kids either, but we enjoyed seeing the little girls in their fairy princess costumes at dinner and enjoyed watching them have fun at the pool, though we stayed at the adult pool most of the time. Of course, when we saw Lilo and Stitch at the theater there were lots of kids, but nobody horribly misbehaved.

Most people don't realize how segregated you are from the kids on DCL. They really seem to keep the kids busy and out of your hair.

I highly recommend cruising without kids!:cool:

mowanda
06-05-2003, 02:46 PM
We sailed on our first cruise in March 2003, for our 25th wedding anniversary. It was the best time I have had on a vacation. They pamper you beyond belief and the adult areas are wonderful. Also if you go do go to Palo's at least one night, it is wonderful, and so peaceful and serene. Also, the adult beach on Castaway Cay was great. You will enjoy yourselves, and yes once or maybe twice I thought about my grandchildren and how much they would enjoy this, but then the serene would be gone out of the trip! I have six grandchildren, all under the age of seven!! My husband and I are in our early 50's also with one daughter, age 22, still at home. My advice, go for it, you won't regret it.

Mowanda

tinaglensierra
06-05-2003, 06:46 PM
My parents(in their early 50's ) went on a DC a few years back and loved it so much they convinced my hubby and I to go next year(Western Magic May 8th)! They went by themselves for their 30th wedding anniversary. So, when I booked the May 8th 2004 cruise, they asked if they could go along( We have 2 small kids), but wanted to know if it was alright if they could sit at their own table for dinner!!! They said they had so much fun meeting new people(all in their age group), that they wanted to do it that way again, and were afraid that if they sat with us, they wouldn't get to "play with their friends!!!!" They crack me up. Of course I told them it was up to them, but I think they felt guilty, and decided they are going to eat with us. I didn't care, it's their cruise too! they may change thier mind again though.

So, I think that tells you how much fun you'd have by yourself!!

Don't forget, you came first, AND, you could always go back again with the grandkids!!

disny4ever
06-06-2003, 05:32 AM
You thought you should check out the DCL ships for future trips with the grandkids to see if they would like it. You would be doing them a favor by making sure they would enjoy themselves when the time comes for them to go with you.
In the mean time have a great trip.

ohioMickey
06-07-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by goofy4dvc
Are there many adults who cruise without kids?

Many adults cruise without kids... because the kids don't want to leave the Oceaneer Club/Lab.

ehtpnt
06-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Hi, My DH and I did the Halloween 2002 western cruise. We were with college friends, we are all more or less empty nesters. The 4 of us had late seating, a table for 4. There was only one child in the vacinity of our table. He was an infant in a stroller and there was never a peep out of him. Other than that we saw the DIS thread kids who trick or treated on Halloween and an occasional child in the elevator. They were usually with parents. So we are planning on another cruise probably next year for our 30th anniversary. Again with out kids.
Go for the fun and you'll find the peace and quiet wonderful.
Estelle

MrsG
06-08-2003, 10:05 AM
Mona,

We sailed without our kids (23 and 19) for our 25th on the 7 day Western and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. We found ourselves saying, "The kids would love this" every once and a while. So do what we did - book another cruise and take them along!!!!

Enjoy the cruise just the two of you ---- you deserve it -----and don't feel guilty.

Enjoy!!!!!

Maryann

ncligs
06-08-2003, 01:01 PM
We are DVC members and taking our 1st cruise ever in Feb(see countdown below) and it is just Cindy and I who are 47+46 years old. We don't have any worries about kids, and looking forward to it.http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/baby21.gif
If we like this 4 day cruise...... we plan on taking the 7 day next.http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/biggthumpup.gif

Buckaroo's Dad
06-08-2003, 05:39 PM
Hey Nick.

it is just Cindy and I who are 47+46 years old.

Yes, any "kids" would be younger...

AND, I'm sure Cindy is gonna be thrilled when she reads you posted her EXACT (and older) age. You could've "lied" (ie. stretched the truth)... lol...

Hygiene99
06-08-2003, 05:59 PM
we have been on the ships 5 times , and the way they have it set up u could go the whole cruise and not have to inter act with the kids..... sure u will see them and all but itwont be a problem

peter

ncligs
06-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
I'm sure Cindy is gonna be thrilled when she reads you posted her EXACT (and older) age. You could've "lied" (ie. stretched the truth)... lol...

http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/mad/boese036.gif