PDA

View Full Version : Lots & lots of questions...sorry!

Minnie&Mickey
06-04-2003, 11:41 AM
I hope you all don't think I am pestering you too much with all of my stupid questions, but I just want to make sure I have all the answers before I book our first cruise, and you guys certainly seem to be the experts!

I got quotes last week from DU and AllSeas, and AllSeas was the cheapest. I decided to stop by a local travel agent yesterday so that I could get a Disney Cruise brochure, and she called me today with a quote. Her quote was about $350 more than All Seas, but it included all taxes, port charges & insurance. Does All Seas include insurance in their price? Is the insurance really necessary (we are in our mid 40's and in good health)? We would be getting two rooms (two teens also on trip with us), so when I look in the Disney Cruise brochure and they refer to the cost of insurance, they say 1st/2nd $49 per person and then 3rd/4th $39 per person. We would pay $196 since we have a 1st & 2nd person per room, instead of $176 (1st + 2nd + 3rd + 4th), right? Does that make sense?

If I subtract the price of the insurance out of the TAs quote (since I don't think insurance is in AllSeas price), there is only about $150 difference in the price between the TA and AllSeas. Do I let the TA know that I have a lower quote and ask her to match it, or is that considered "tacky" (for lack of a better word)? I'm thinking I might feel more comfortable booking through the local TA since she is right around the corner and I can call her with all my stupid questions. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help!

markey
06-04-2003, 12:00 PM
I cannot answer your questions about the insurance, however I would suggest you also get a quote from Dreams Unlimited and see what the difference is in the price. Since this is your first cruise DU could be very helpful since they are experts on the Disney Cruises. You can ask questions on the boards, but there could be a question you might not think to ask. I tried to help a co-worker out, without being pushy with my ideas, he went with a TA where he got the cheapest price and I asked if his TA got him the first time cruiser credit. He called his TA and they didn't know anything about it. But as it turns out they called DCL and he has a $100 on board credit. So going with the cheapest TA is not always the best if you are a novice cruiser.

Minnie&Mickey
06-04-2003, 12:09 PM
I did get a quote from DU and unfortunately they were considerable higher...even higher than the TA. I would love to book through them, but the difference was almost $800 for the same cruise, same category room, etc. I have no idea why there was such a difference.

Minnie&Mickey
06-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Oh no!!! I just figured out why there is such a difference between the quote from DU and All Seas! DU quoted me the price for the July 1, 2004 cruise, instead of the June 3, 2004 cruise! I didn't even notice the date difference until just now. I bet I hit a wrong button somewhere along the way and it changed the date. I guess I'll go fill out the form again and see what I get this time.

flexsmom
06-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Is the insurance really necessary (we are in our mid 40's and in good health)?

If you don't go with the insurance DCL offers, get it from someone! You may be in good health, but if you fall and break a leg (or your active teenagers do!) or something requiring a helo lift out, etc., the insurance will cover the medevac. Other trip cancellation factors are covered, too - if you have a close relative pass away or some other catastrophe right before you are supposed to go and have to cancel, you are covered - otherwise you would forfeit a lot of $$.

joyv
06-04-2003, 01:48 PM
I booked my vacation using Allseas and just returned from my trip.

I highly recemmend getting the insurance as flexmom recommended. It's a small price to pay for security in case something comes up. AllSeas charged me $49/person for mine (i went on the land & sea 4-day cruise package). This was not included in their quoted package price, but it did include port charges and taxes. The only additional was insurance and ground transportation becaue they are optional.

Don't worry about asking questions....from my experience with Allseas, they were very accomodating asnwering questions even if I called almost everyday with concerns.

Also, this website helps a lot with tips and useful information so you can use the website to gather information as well. Good luck!

dclwdwlover
06-04-2003, 02:00 PM
someone on the boards not too long ago gave me info. that the DCL cruise insur. covers more than others does. I called my AAA TA & she confirmed this. I would delve into the type of coverage as much as the actual cost. As long as you're going to pay - it might as well cover EVERYTHING.:bounce:

LAMPSKIES
06-04-2003, 03:04 PM
O.k., I'll try to keep this short......but here are my experiences, and this is what theses boards are for....

I have booked five disney cruises (Feb. 2000 Wonder, Nov. 29, 2002 Magic....cancelled, rebooked Dec. 1 Wonder 2002, Nov. 30 Eastern Magic and April 2004 Wonder) all directly thru DCL. I included transfers and insurance with all. On the cancelled Magic from 2002 we went with another couple who booked thru their TA. We recieved "the call" of cancellation from DCL Wed evening the night before we were to fly out, at 5:00 p.m. The other couple never recieved a call. I called them at 6:30 and they thought I was kidding. They tried to call their TA and couldn't get in touch with her. They called DCL and were told that everything had to go thru the TA. It was the night before Thanksgiving.....ever tried to get in touch with a TA or airline then?? I rebooked and they "piggybacked" their new reservations with mine. When we recieved our 50% off vouchers they came to me directly....theirs went to the TA. I recieved an upgrade they didn't. They just told their TA what I was recieving and then the TA had to call with my reservation number to get it for them. (Maybe I should get the commission??) I look on disneys site see how much it costs and book. If I was to worry about a two or three hundred dollar difference in cost I couldn't afford to go. There is no word to describe the look on my DW and DD's faces everytime they see that ship in the distance from the bus and the first time they opened that verandah door to smell that Carribean air. Sorry I told you this was going to be long.......As for insurance, I believe is also guarentees purchases at shops on Disneys preffered shopping list. Ya it's less expensive thru travelers etc., but I like to one stop shop. If things go wrong I only have to yell at one person.

Minnie&Mickey
06-04-2003, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the advice about the insurance. I'm sure we will probably buy it, I just wasn't sure if it was included in All Seas price. Three years ago, my parents planned a Mediterranean cruise for their 50th wedding anniversary. They loved to cruise but never bought the insurance for previous cruises. For some reason, my father bought it this time. Shortly before they were scheduled to cruise, my father suffered a heart attack and passed away. I had to call and cancel the cruise for them (my mother just couldn't do it) and the only money they lost out on was the cost of the insurance. In their case, it was really good that my father bought it that time.

BTW-I resubmitted my information for a new quote from DU with the correct sailing date (went back and checked twice just to be sure before I sent it). I should hear something tomorrow I think.
Thanks for the advice.

Minnie&Mickey
06-04-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by LAMPSKIES
There is no word to describe the look on my DW and DD's faces everytime they see that ship in the distance from the bus and the first time they opened that verandah door to smell that Carribean air.

That's what I am looking forward to. My kids (dd18 & dd15) have been begging us to go on the cruise. We are DVC members and make 2-3 WDW trips per year, and at least one trip to Hilton Head per year. They understandably want to go somewhere else! When I told the younger one today that I was going to book the cruise as soon as I got the older one's school schedule...well, let's just say she was thrilled!

bthrsoon
06-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Is the first time cruiser credit for 3 nt cruises as well?

LAMPSKIES
06-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Minnie&Mickey,

I'd call DCL directly and see what they can do. I'd let them know up front that you have been shopping. Everytime I book they fax me a confirmation and give me two weeks to mail in my deposit. The only thing I don't book thru DCL is airfare due to the fact that their carriers fly out of O'hare(Chicago) and Midway is much more convenient.
I was going to book a "Beaches" all inclusive for spring break 04, DD's acted happy with the suggestion .......then DD 11 said what about another Disney cruise.....Hance April 04.

dvarallo
06-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Definitely buy the insurance. We had it for our January cruise and it paid off when the kids got sick and we had to fly home from St. Martin. We were reimbursed for the 2 days wwe were quarantined and the 3days we missed. The only thing we weren't reimbursed for was the return airfare (Disney flew us home) because we didn't book the air through DCL.
We recently took our "make-up" cruise and my travel agent suggested buying the insurance directly through Access America. They are the same insurance company that DCL uses. We payed less than we did through DCL and the coverage also included our airfare and the Limo service we used. You can contact them directly at www.accessamerica.com. Good Luck!

Minnie&Mickey
06-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the insurance information. I'll bookmark the Access America site so that I can go back to it when I get ready to buy the insurance. Sounds like the insurance is definitely somethink we need.

disneyeveryyear
06-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Two things about AA -

If you purchase your insurance with 14 days (I think) of your cruise deposit, they will cover all pre-existing conditions.

Secondly, they have a plan called something like the family plan - has a separate code - it was on a thread here a while back. The kids are free and it is much cheaper. I don't think it is available online, I think you have to call for this one.

Unfortunately they will not convert one plan to another, so make sure you know what you want, your TA should be able to help you.

Minnie&Mickey
06-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the information! Right now I am just waiting for my oldest daughter's school schedule so that I can book the trip. I finally called them yesterday and asked if they had the school dates yet, and they said NO. I told them we are trying to schedule a cruise and she told me to call back on Monday and they might have it. Ugh!!! This is going to drive me crazy!!!