PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love SprintPCS!!

DisneyBusDriverToo
06-02-2003, 11:36 PM
They get an A+ for their fringe service. Right now I'm on the Magic (5/31 Eastern) and we're between Puerto Rico and St. Thomas and I'm on my Sprint PCS Sanyo 8100 with my grandmother!!!

cjsmith
06-03-2003, 08:01 AM
While our phone don't ever seem to work while in the Bahamas, they worked just fine this past March in Bermuda. Be careful, Sprint will charge a $1.25 per minute roaming fee plus a long distance fee whle out in the carribean or another country. It's still a great service though!
Carolyn

gometros
06-03-2003, 08:57 AM
Could it depend on your serivce plan? IN Nov. 2001, we called home from St, Thomas and paid $.75/minute.

cjsmith
06-03-2003, 09:00 AM
It could be my plan, though I have a large plan for 2000 minutes and no long distance. That was the cost of calling from Bermuda, so maybe it's different from different places. It could also be that the rates have gone up from 2001 to 2003!
Carolyn

Cruise
06-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Note to self: When in middle of Caribbean on a huge metal ship, Sprint service to work. Not to be confused with being 3 miles from my house or in downtown Los Angeles where Sprint service will NOT work.

We've had nothing but trouble with Sprint and get horrible customer service in both our local store and the national customer service center when trying to correct problems. We'll get service with another provider when our contract is finished.

Julie

BethC1952
06-03-2003, 10:01 AM
Not to be confused with being 3 miles from my house

LOL--I lived at the very edge of their service area when I first got my Sprint PCS. The phone would work just fine in my living room, but not in my dining room, bedrooms or kitchen! Then they built a tower about two blocks from my house, and all was well.

My phone worked in Nassau, but that's the farthest I've used it! I have my laptop connected to it, and I was able to send photos home as soon as I took them. The family was so jealous!

Beth

KenP
06-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Well...umm.....I have the Sprint national plan with roaming and long distance included so there won't be any extra charges....gotta love that!

Also, while at home (Orlando, FL) Sprint PCS service is great, with the exception of Walt Disney World property. It works in most areas, but there are a few dead spots where I'll drop a call if I'm talking while I drive (NOT the bus!! LOL).

I have, however, experienced the same thing with their customer service. I almost jumped the counter one time to slap one of the people in their store...that's how mad they made me...and their customer service center is horrible...but don't get me started...I'm on vacation.

At any rate, I decided to keep Sprint and have just resolved to deal with their c/s as little as possible since the voice quality is the best (and I tried Verizon, Cingular and AT&T before coming to this conclusion). Most of the time, people can't tell I'm on a cell phone....including last night...what great reception that was.

DisneyBusDriverToo
06-03-2003, 06:46 PM
.Sorry, this post was mine. I didn't notice that KenP hadn't logged out of DIS on this terminal (Disney Magic Internet Cafe)

Well...umm.....I have the Sprint national plan with roaming and long distance included so there won't be any extra charges....gotta love that!

Also, while at home (Orlando, FL) Sprint PCS service is great, with the exception of Walt Disney World property. It works in most areas, but there are a few dead spots where I'll drop a call if I'm talking while I drive (NOT the bus!! LOL).

I have, however, experienced the same thing with their customer service. I almost jumped the counter one time to slap one of the people in their store...that's how mad they made me...and their customer service center is horrible...but don't get me started...I'm on vacation.

At any rate, I decided to keep Sprint and have just resolved to deal with their c/s as little as possible since the voice quality is the best (and I tried Verizon, Cingular and AT&T before coming to this conclusion). Most of the time, people can't tell I'm on a cell phone....including last night...what great reception that was

KenP
06-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Sorry DisneyBusDriverToo that I forgot to log out. sometimes I'm in a hurrry and the logout button is hard to find :-)
... The real KenP

cjsmith
06-04-2003, 07:48 AM
My plan is also no long distance or roaming, however, while in Bermuda Sprint told us that we would incur these dharges. Sure enough, they showed up on the bill. It was still cheaper than putting it on a calling card though. We're bringing our cell phones with us on our cruise Saturday, so I'll let everyone know how we make out on the Western ports of call.
Carolyn

Favorite Auntie
06-04-2003, 10:17 AM
I had Sprint and I hated it! I could not get service anywhere - although I didn't try it on the cruise. I switched to Verizon and have not had a problem. The CS is much better too. I live in Eastern Mass and I get great service, also get great service while visiting my parents in NH and FL. I could not get Sprint service in either NH or FL. Verizon even works on Disney property! We used it while on the Eastern Magic cruise in St Thomas and the service was incredible. There was a nominal charge for being out of the area, but it was worth it. Although my sisters were jealous that I was talking to them fron Deck 9 on the Magic!!

Trekker
06-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Most of these no roamimg - no long distance charge plans are only good if you are in the 48 lower states...

Just an FYI!

AprilN
06-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Most of these no roaming - no long distance charge plans are only good if you are in the 48 lower states...

We have free long distance on our SprintPCS plan, and we were able to call with no extra charges while docked at St. Thomas on the Magic! We didn't use the phone while out on the island, so I can't report on coverage, but it definitely worked great while in our stateroom.

We tried using it while in sight of Puerto Rico, but I guess our older model phone isn't strong enough, because we could never establish a lasting connection.

Any calls made while on the PCS network (including coverage in PR and the USVI) are included when long distance is included. Here's a map of SprintPCS coverage for PR and the USVI (not very well labeled): map (http://activate.sprintpcs.com/maps/mkt/large/PuertoRico_PR.gif)

I'm not a huge fan of Sprint's c/s either, but I try not to interact with them very often, and our phone has worked just fine, and has good coverage in the Bay Area - so I don't have a reason to switch just yet!

April

DisneyBusDriverToo
06-04-2003, 06:28 PM
This is too weird. I think these Internet cafe terminals are on something serious. When I went to the DIS homepage on this machine, someone else was logged in. I clicked log out and then it came back with "Welcome, DisneyBusDriverToo" that's too weird. I used this terminal about 3 days ago but not since and somehow it found that cookie days later.

Oh well.... BTW, KenP...where are you?? I wonder if I've annoyed you with my float at the pool.

Anyway, as far as this Sprint PCS/Verizon debate I'd have to say that Sprint wins hands down. While every network has holes, in Orlando their coverage is awesome. The biggest benefit of Sprint versus just about any other carrier is that they've built their entire network from the same technology....and done it themselves from the beginning. Verizon was built with the acquizition of several carriers (PrimeCo being one) and therefore the network is still somewhat patchwork in some areas.

Anytime you're on the Sprint network and your phone says "Entering Sprint Service Area" it's a local call. That's another HUGE benefit, especially for someone like me who tends to travel a lot.

BTW, the service on St. Thomas was VERY GOOD. Even in secluded places on the sides of mountains in the middle of nowhere (I rented a Jeep and explored on my own) it worked. I'll never forget talking to my boss (and friend) from the side of the road overlooking Megan's Cove Beach....which btw is beautiful.

I took a picture today of the Magic and the Explorer of the Seas docked together at St. Thomas from the Tramway lookout point. I'll post it when I get home.

Anyway, time for dinner at Topsiders. I'm too tired to get dressed tonight!

KenP
06-04-2003, 08:22 PM
DisneyBusDriverToo,
I was on the May 17, 2003 Eastern Magic! So even though I'm sad that I had to leave, I'm glad my disboard/Magic Internet Cafe cookie is still sailing around the Carribean!

To keep on topic: I used to fret about calling home, finding out if my AT&T digital one rate plan would work on the islands, etc. Now I just buy the unlimited internet plan and tell my email challenged friends/family that if they need me just call another family/friend that has email access :-)